Reworked Hell & Hell S-Rank Commented Walktrough with focus on Nero and V

Sturmhauser

Hello!

I have reworked the guide a bit, with better audio and some new, more stylish and consistent ways to fight certian enemies, in patricular the Antennora and the Fury. I have also found a consistent way to get the required 5500 style points on mission 08, allowing for taking up to two hits on that mission. 

The aim with this guide is to debunk a few myths about the difficulty (it really isn't that hard) and at the same time show you a few simple tricks and combos - what I like to refer to as a baseline moveset and mindset - that will allow you to play both safe and stylish. What this will do is allow you to take up to two hits per mission and still get the mission S-ranks without any problems. 

I've structured the guide so that it takes one charachter at a time, with for Nero a long intro on how to safely and stylish with some simple combos and camera manipulation techniques defeat all enemytypes , all diffrent enemy combiantions and all bosses; and for V some basic tips and tricks on how to aviod using auto-assist (on two of the four missions). 

The point of playing this way (not going for neither the 1.2 no-continues bonus nor the 2.0 no-damage bonus by instead getting the required 5500 stylepoints without any bonus) at least for me was to mitigate the randomness, nervouness and tediousness steming from the fact by jumping around and shooting with Nero or using auto-assit with V a single misstake or cheapshot would force restarting the mission enteirly.

Here is a link to the playlist: 

Edited by Sturmhauser
  • Like 3

I love to see that people still show interest in getting the best rank out there :D and yes you are right. Even if you do get hit and lose the bonus, getting S rank is still possible.  Fine work doing the tutorials!

Myself, I will jump straight to Mission 8 video with Nero, since that's the notorious one !

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Copanele said:

I love to see that people still show interest in getting the best rank out there :D and yes you are right. Even if you do get hit and lose the bonus, getting S rank is still possible.  Fine work doing the tutorials!

Myself, I will jump straight to Mission 8 video with Nero, since that's the notorious one !

Thank you, sir! Yes, mission 8 is a bit tricky because of the ranking system in this game, but the fights themselves are nothing to worry about on that mission if you know how the Fury telegraphs its attacks. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sturmhauser said:

Thank you, sir! Yes, mission 8 is a bit tricky because of the ranking system in this game, but the fights themselves are nothing to worry about on that mission if you know how the Fury telegraphs its attacks. 

Truth be told, in that specific part I just grappled the previous Hell Cainas in the fighting spot, did some stylish SSS stuff with them + antenoras then just plastered the Fury with a classic full Ragtime + charged Buster arm. Nothing works better than some bit of cheapness there, netting me well over 5500 points(how the game adds the points there is beyond me) xD but yes it's way more stylish with Gerbera and actually learning the monster's moveset(as the devs intended) instead of just powerbombing the poor speedster.

Didn't check any of your V videos yet but he was the easiest to pull Hell n Hell with, dashing with Shadow renders you perma-invincible. If you just buffer Griffin and sidestep with shadow constantly then not even the Geryon attacks can hit you. Of course that puts some stress over your fingers but it keeps you safe.

I saw you also added the infamous Dante Mission 10 video! The only shame of mine in that specific mission is that I can't do the damn thing properly without cheesing it with Faust meteors and shooting. Need to get better at the game!

Anyway sorry for rambling so much, DMC5 is one of my favorite game ever made so far, I tend to write my heart off when a topic appears! Again, well done with the guides :) Will take a look at your Bloody Palace run too, those are always fun to watch xD  

• Like 1

I was curious about mission 8 since that's usually the worst due to the limited points. I found it funny that you act like someone can easily get the 5500 without the No Continue bonus yet you barely miss it even though you held your ground against that stupid tentacle attack that I have never been able to avoid with Nero. It doesn't seem doable without the bonus and you actually reinforced that, lol.

Also, against that Fury in the beginning you can cheese him with regular Ragtime (not the charged one). I got 6016 points in that fight from just doing EX Taunt with the 2 berserker dudes and then cheesing the Fury. That could get you the points you were missing on that last attempt you showed. Here's how I did it:

Edited by AndresLionheart

41 minutes ago, AndresLionheart said:

I was curious about mission 8 since that's usually the worst due to the limited points. I found it funny that you act like someone can easily get the 5500 without the No Continue bonus yet you barely miss it even though you held your ground against that stupid tentacle attack that I have never been able to avoid with Nero. It doesn't seem doable without the bonus and you actually reinforced that, lol.

Also, against that Fury in the beginning you can cheese him with regular Ragtime (not the charged one). I got 6016 points in that fight from just doing EX Taunt with the 2 berserker dudes and then cheesing the Fury. That could get you the points you were missing on that last attempt you showed. Here's how I did it:

Thank you for the tips on the Fury. 

Well, i didn't try to act like you can do it without the bonus, I even said i was wrong about what I said on previous videos. What i did was trying to find a workaround for the bogus ranking on this mission, and just getting a standrad S-rank on Urizen seems to be that, but i failed to pull it off. I was hoping that doing the optional fights would net you enough stylepoints to be able to take up to two hits on this mission, but it didn't. 

Edited by Sturmhauser

21 minutes ago, Sturmhauser said:

Thank you for the tips on the Fury. 

Well, i didn't try to act like you can do it without the bonus, I even said i was wrong about what I said on previous videos. What i did was trying to find a workaround for the bogus ranking on this mission, and just getting a standrad S-rank on Urizen seems to be that, but i failed to pull it off. I was hoping that doing the optional fights would net you enough stylepoints to be able to take up to two hits on this mission, but it didn't. 

Oh, sorry, I wasn't able to listen closely to the commentary because I'm at work, I may have missed it.

I tried with the optional fights a few times but I would always get hit by that beast that gets all crazy when you break his armor.

From what I could tell from playing I think the score is based on the damage done multiplied by the combo rank. That's why using the EX taunt to start with an S rank before doing any damage can raise the score drastically. Or at least that's what it feels like, lol.

This scoring system sucks...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Copanele said:

Truth be told, in that specific part I just grappled the previous Hell Cainas in the fighting spot, did some stylish SSS stuff with them + antenoras then just plastered the Fury with a classic full Ragtime + charged Buster arm. Nothing works better than some bit of cheapness there, netting me well over 5500 points(how the game adds the points there is beyond me) xD but yes it's way more stylish with Gerbera and actually learning the monster's moveset(as the devs intended) instead of just powerbombing the poor speedster.

Didn't check any of your V videos yet but he was the easiest to pull Hell n Hell with, dashing with Shadow renders you perma-invincible. If you just buffer Griffin and sidestep with shadow constantly then not even the Geryon attacks can hit you. Of course that puts some stress over your fingers but it keeps you safe.

I saw you also added the infamous Dante Mission 10 video! The only shame of mine in that specific mission is that I can't do the damn thing properly without cheesing it with Faust meteors and shooting. Need to get better at the game!

Anyway sorry for rambling so much, DMC5 is one of my favorite game ever made so far, I tend to write my heart off when a topic appears! Again, well done with the guides :) Will take a look at your Bloody Palace run too, those are always fun to watch xD  

Oh, that's cool with the devil breakers. I feel you rambling, this great game makes me hyped up too, it's really the sequel we all hoped for and deserved. 

As for the Dante missions, i should have mentioned it here in the text introduction, i did in the intro video. For the Dante mission i cheese with Dr Faust and my strats are based of the xxIrishPride42xx guide here on this, i gave him or her my thanks for the help with Dante. I really wanted to try to add something for the Nero and V missions as this guide isn't focused towards Dante, but i was hoping that my voice over for the Dr Faust cheese-strats would maybe make it a little easier for new players to DMC with the timnings and knowing what to do if you mess the up the meteor (like i did twice on mission 12). 

The one bloody palace i put up that isn't the run i mentioned in the video where i fight the Fury stylish, i haven't edited that run yet as i got busy with the V and Dante missions, will upload it soon. But what you do to fight the fury stylish is parry -> calibur -> payline -> cancel payline with DT and launch him in the air -> do two JC:ed splits with a regular excede slah in between the two splits -> grab after the 2nd split to end him or repeat if it is SOS or DMD

Edited by Sturmhauser

37 minutes ago, AndresLionheart said:

Oh, sorry, I wasn't able to listen closely to the commentary because I'm at work, I may have missed it.

I tried with the optional fights a few times but I would always get hit by that beast that gets all crazy when you break his armor.

From what I could tell from playing I think the score is based on the damage done multiplied by the combo rank. That's why using the EX taunt to start with an S rank before doing any damage can raise the score drastically. Or at least that's what it feels like, lol.

This scoring system sucks...

No worries man. Yeah i said explicitly "i was wrong ... we will go for the 1.2 no contiunes bonus" and the fight in the end where i get the A-rank is a second take (check the descrpition for timestamps). 

I don't think the rank is based of anything, it has specific and fixed variables for each fight that are compeltey arbitrarily set. You can manipultate them with taunts and so on, but it still is fixed variables for each indiviudal fight and based of your average in the end. It's arbitray by Capcom and the only thing i can complain on on this otherweise briliant game.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Copanele said:

Oh, didn't know that! Sounds alot like the Rachel dash-cheese strat from Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 ?. In my opinion, as i tried to show in my videos, V is intrinsically very powerful on Hell & Hell. This guide is first of all geared towards new players or players that got discourgead by S-rank Hell & Hell initially because of the Nero missions. It's my goal that the strats as showed of here come off as very simple and able for any player to pull of without prior knowledge or expertise in the mechanics and logic the combat system in the DMC games, hence why i only use the gerbera and mostly use it as extra saftey. For V it is just standing back and abusing his promotion ender skill and the nightmare revieve. 

Edited by Sturmhauser
Spelling misstakes

Just now, Sturmhauser said:

Oh, didn't know that! Sounds alot like the Rachel dash-cheese strat from Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 1f602.png. In my opinion, as i tried to show in my videos, V is intrinsically very powerful on Hell & Hell. This guide is first of all geared towards new players or players that got discourgead by S-rank Hell & Hell initially because of the Nero missions. It's my goal that the starts as show of here come off as very simple and able for any player to pull of without prior knowledge or expertise in the mechanics and logic the combat system in the DMC games, hence why i only use the gerbera and mostly use it as extra saftey. For V it is just standing back and abusing his promotion ender skill and the nightmare review. 

With V honestly I managed to do S rank on my 2nd try I believe ( the Geryon fight busted me up the first try). Changing Griffin to L1 (same as Nero really) and just buffering the dodge makes you a powerhouse. For the other enemies...just look at a wall, read a bit, send Shadow and Griffin to attack then pop the Nightmare. He's a real powerhouse.

For Nero I agree, for newcomers(aka if you haven't played DMC4) it does take abit of time to get used to all the mumbo jumbo he can pull. Gerbera is also very useful for all sorts of parries since the frame window is pretty generous. 

About the ranking...it really varies and feels kinda random-ish but for the most ugly parts, the best approach is to just dish out damage while being in SSS rank and be as varied as possible. Basically the same approach but without getting hit this time.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Copanele said:

With V honestly I managed to do S rank on my 2nd try I believe ( the Geryon fight busted me up the first try). Changing Griffin to L1 (same as Nero really) and just buffering the dodge makes you a powerhouse. For the other enemies...just look at a wall, read a bit, send Shadow and Griffin to attack then pop the Nightmare. He's a real powerhouse.

For Nero I agree, for newcomers(aka if you haven't played DMC4) it does take abit of time to get used to all the mumbo jumbo he can pull. Gerbera is also very useful for all sorts of parries since the frame window is pretty generous. 

About the ranking...it really varies and feels kinda random-ish but for the most ugly parts, the best approach is to just dish out damage while being in SSS rank and be as varied as possible. Basically the same approach but without getting hit this time.

Oh, did you go for style points with V on mission 5 on Hell & Hell? I tried so hard to do that, probaly a dussin times but the rank on that mission like with mission 8 is bogus. 

I'm also gonna try to go for a stylepoint run of mission 8 with the tips from you and Andres, but that will involve me deviating from the baseline i showed in the videos so i think it will be a bit to complicated for a beginners guide. 

Gonna try to snatch the Caninas and SSS the fight then parry -> calibur -> payline -> payline DT cancel the Fury with SSS and see what happens. Will upload the video if i manage to pull it off, IF ? - but not as a part of the guide, just see if we can manage to break Capcom's BS ?

Edited by Sturmhauser

1 minute ago, Sturmhauser said:

Oh, did you got for style points with V on mission 5 on Hell & Hell? I tried so hard to do that, probaly a dussin times but the rank on that mission like with mission 8 is bogus. 

I'm also gonna try to go for a stylepoint run of mission with the tips from you and Andres, but that will involve me deviating from the baseline i showed in the video so i think it will be a bit to complicated for a beginners guide. 

Gonna try to snatch the Caninas and SSS the fight then parry -> payline -> payline DT cancel the Fury with SSS and see what happens. Will upload the video if i manage to pull it off, IF 1f602.png

For mission 5 I didn't really bother much. I have no idea how much you can get without the no damage bonus honestly, I just went and did the usual thing and got lots of points. 

Your baseline is quite ok in the videos, it does work. For beginners it should be good in my opinion (although, you shouldn't be a beginner anymore at this point of the game xD ).

For more stylish stuff you can even use Tomboy if you wish. Everything works in this game. But yeah for ultimate beginner mode, I do recommend abusing the ragtime, screwing around with the Fury is not that fun.

Ah also you can use punchline for Urizen fight. Punchline homing attack + charged LVL3 Blue Rose are wonders if you wish to play as safe as possible.

I kinda abused punchline alot in my playthrough....not very stylish lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Copanele said:

For mission 5 I didn't really bother much. I have no idea how much you can get without the no damage bonus honestly, I just went and did the usual thing and got lots of points. 

Your baseline is quite ok in the videos, it does work. For beginners it should be good in my opinion (although, you shouldn't be a beginner anymore at this point of the game xD ).

For more stylish stuff you can even use Tomboy if you wish. Everything works in this game. But yeah for ultimate beginner mode, I do recommend abusing the ragtime, screwing around with the Fury is not that fun.

Ah also you can use punchline for Urizen fight. Punchline homing attack + charged LVL3 Blue Rose are wonders if you wish to play as safe as possible.

I kinda abused punchline alot in my playthrough....not very stylish lol

Glad to hear to it might help! :D Yeah i know, but i just felt that showing of devil breakers would add complications that wasn't needed with the baseline i established. I would'nt consider myself a beginner of DMC, i played them relgiously since Devil May Cry 1, but i am far from a pro on these games. With Nero i usually try to wire snatch as little as possible and keep the combos with either the exceeded split jump cancel, and if i calibur or fire a charged blue rose that also knocks back i always payline into DT cancel to keep the combo in the air without wire snatching. I never really got used to the devil breakers though, i played so much Devil May Cry 4 and wanted to recreate Nero from DMC 4 as much as possible. The Devil Breakers are so much fun though, espacilly the crazy air stuff you can do with the charged helter skelter, seen some sick combos by the pros on youtube with that, hopefully i can pull something off like that one day :) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2019-11-27 at 10:26 AM, Copanele said:

The bloody palace run on how to fight the Furies stylish is up now, but i made it as a combo compilation instead of a full playtrough if you're still intressted. 

I've also started to try do a run of mission 08 where I try to get the 5500 style points and take one or two hits. I almost pulled it of yesterday, I had 5600 stylepoints from fighting the Antenoras and the Fury stylish and doing 1 opitonal fight going into Urizen but i lost all 3 gold orbs trying to get an S-rank on him with melee :/ Will keep at it though, it should be possible if don't screw up on Urizen. 

* Alright I mananged to get a S-rank on Mission 08 without any bonus, it's uploaded. What was needed was to get a SS-rank on the Fury, a SSS rank on the mandatory fights, a SSS rank on one optional fight and a single S on Urizen. 

Edited by Sturmhauser

Alright, so the guide is finished now and it now includes all missions for all three characters.

Just to clarify what I failed to mention initially: about going for the no bonus multipliers and instead allowing for taking up to two hits per mission, this only applies to Nero and V, and not for Dante.

For Dante I tried to expand on the no damage, Dr Faust-cheese strategy that is already demonstrated in the trophy guide on this site. The reason for the latter is that the Dr Faust cheese is by far the easiest and less random method to use for Dante because you can time the meteor as the enemies spawn in on almost all the Dante fights on all his missions.  

As for Nero and V: There are two missions, mission 08 with Nero and mission 05 with V, where I failed to manifest my intention with the guide, namely not going for the bonus multiplier with Nero and not using auto-assist with V.  For mission 08 I’ve made a separate commented walkthrough video where I get the required 5500 style points and thus allowing for taking up to two hits. However, this method is a little bit more complicated and input heavy than the general so called “baseline”-method I tried to establish for Nero in the introductory video. The so called baseline method is a at the same time safe, stylish and fairly input easy method for Nero, making his Hell & Hell missions a lot less random and tedious. The baseline method didn’t hold up in terms of style points on mission 08 though. I also couldn't for the life of me get the required 5500 style points on mission 05 with V, so there auto assist method is advocated. 

Edited by Sturmhauser

• 2 months later...