time limit on starting a new thread.

I like your thinking :) 

I am a bit tired of seeing a million threads started by a new guy and then just leaves the site forever. Makes you think they joined just to spam up the place. 

Even though this might work, there will still be noobs that post duplicates (I won't name any members, but there is someone particular I have in mind) even though they have 150 posts. 

Either way, I think this is a great idea. You got a like from me. 

• Like 3

A few other forums I've been to have the anti-flooding thing that Simba mentioned first, and it seems to do well enough, it might give people more time to look for duplicate threads if nothing else.  I definitely feel like there's a lot of lack of search bar usage...I'll admit, I only got to getting to know how to use it recently, but I can definitely see how duplicate threads annoy people.  I know that Sly PMed me that he wanted to keep the duplicate threads down, so I'd assume he'd sign on for this.  I for one am certainly quite tired of seeing duplicate threads, in some cases 3-4 threads about the same thing.  I mean, it's understandable to create one by accident (and even then, the anti-flood thing should fix that), but making a duplicate of something that's already there because you can't be bothered to search...

• Like 1

I actually think your idea of making the search bar stand out more would work, I am getting a little annoyed with the duplicate threads myself. The only flaw I see (from a personal viewpoint) with your idea is giving warning points for starting duplicate threads, it just seems a little heavy-handed to me, but I suppose it could act as a deterrent in that sense.

How possible it is I have no idea, but there is a lot that I personally like about the OP in this thread.

The only bit I'm not so keen on is the warnings for dupe threads - maybe for repeat offenders, but everyone makes a mistake now and again. The biggest problem I see, is people who post their thread, don't wait long enough and then hit post again.  This is the sort of thing I'm usually cleaning up at around this time of day.

What would really help though is that if members encounter a duplicate thread, they hit the report button and link us to the thread it is duplicating. 

As for the retina burning...  Sly, drop everything else and get that tool implemented. I want it. Now.

• Like 2