Give me your best JRPG on PS4

linkdevivo

5 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

You know what, I just played the game Earthlock and it is a great hidden gem. I bought it cheap on a sale and was blown away with how much fun I had with it.

Check it out :)

awesome! what's it about?

2 minutes ago, DEI2EK said:

Trails of Cold Steel 3

But you won't appreciate it as much without playing the other 7 games before it but it could possibly be a series you might want to stick your teeth into.

You could start with Cold Steel 1 and see if you like it, it's somewhat similar to Persona

Is it turn-based? action? how long are the platinums?

2 minutes ago, linkdevivo said:

Is it turn-based? action? how long are the platinums?

Turn based RPG with life sim elements, depending on how you play the games they could last you 50 to 100 hours for 1 playthrough, then a second playthrough for cleanup on ng+

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, linkdevivo said:

awesome! what's it about?

It is kind of your standard JRPG story. Big bad is taking over the military to find the hidden item to take over the world.

But the characters were just really well done, it had a fun battle mechanic, lots of little sidequests that weren't annoying and the right difficulty level that forced you to battle bosses in different ways using different characters

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, DEI2EK said:

Turn based RPG with life sim elements, depending on how you play the games they could last you 50 to 100 hours for 1 playthrough, then a second playthrough for cleanup on ng+

Cool! I'm doing research on it, and it seems really interesting. Do I start with this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Heroes:_Trails_of_Cold_Steel

7 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

But the characters were just really well done, it had a fun battle mechanic, lots of little sidequests that weren't annoying and the right difficulty level that forced you to battle bosses in different ways using different characters

that looks very cool. how's the platinum? long/grindy?

1 minute ago, linkdevivo said:

Cool! I'm doing research on it, and it seems really interesting. Do I start with this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Heroes:_Trails_of_Cold_Steel

that looks very cool. how's the platinum? long/grindy?

no, it is quite easy and fun.

There is a trophy for levelling everyone up to level 20 but if you keep switching party members you will basically have it by the end of the game.

The worst part is the growing the flowers but as long as you keep doing it AND HAVE THE RIGHT FLOWER PLANTED (sorry I missed planting one flower and it caused like another hour of growing flowers) then nothing is overly long.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, linkdevivo said:

Yeah this is what i'd recommend, it was made as an entry point for new players as the series is actually one continuous storyline, so you'll miss a few references, but you'll be perfectly fine, though once you beat this and get into CS2 the series starts getting a bit spoilery on what happens in previous games but you won't really miss out on much and i'm saying this as someone who had played cs1 and 2 on launch in english without playing the previous games first. It made me want to go back and play the previous games as the Sky trilogy is really really good, and if you like Cold Steel chances are you'll like the rest of the games. After that though i'd recommend going back and playing Trails in the Sky FC, SC and 3rd, FC and SC are on PSP and PC while 3rd is only in english on PC. Zero and AO never got official localizations but there are decent enough fan translations to get you by. It took me about a year and a half to play through everything but finally playing CS3 after beating all the previous games was worth it as every reference and callback i understood.

It's a lot to digest but the games are really good, full of politics and interesting characters. I'd also recommend Tokyo Xanadu by the same company, which is almost a persona clone action RPG, and Ys series if you've never played it. Those are just good action RPGs and Ys 8 is fantastic and one of the few Ys games on PS4.

If you need more information on anything let me know i'm happy to help

Edited by DEI2EK
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, DEI2EK said:

It's a lot to digest but the games are really good, full of politics and interesting characters. I'd also recommend Tokyo Xanadu by the same company, which is almost a persona clone action RPG, and Ys series if you've never played it. Those are just good action RPGs and Ys 8 is fantastic and one of the few Ys games on PS4.

Cool, man. thanks for taking the time to write. I'll definitely look into it, and if anything i'll just play the Cold Steel games and look up summaries of the other games. I read that Cold Steel 4 is out already but only in Japan? I'll definitely start with the first one!

I also really want to play Ys VIII as I constanly hear it's fantastic. Though it's really pricey still. 4 year old game and still like 50 bucks everywhere i look.

Edited by linkdevivo
  • Like 1

Just now, linkdevivo said:

Cool, man. thanks for taking the time to write. I'll definitely look into it, and if anything i'll just play the Cold Steel games and look up summaries of the other games. I read that Cold Steel 4 is out already but only in Japan? I'll definitely start with the first one!

Yeah CS3 just came out in english in october, and now we wait for 4 to get translated, which will probably happen in the next year or so, and falcom is working on their next title in the series already, they usually release a new game for legend of heroes or kiseki is what it's called in japan, every two years or so

• Like 1

On top of Trails of Cold Steel I will also go ahead and recommend Tokyo Xanadu Ex+ since it's made by the same people although it has more of an action-RPG style of combat. Tokyo Xanadu Ex+ is basically the definitive version of the game with more story content. I'm also pretty sure the same devs have also made the Ys series but I can't really vouch for that yet since I have Ys VIII in the backlog but I know a lot of people will say it's good, but if it's by the same devs then I'm sure it's also great.

The Tales of series is also another thing I'll recommend even though I have only played two entries. Tales of Berseria is probably the most beginner friendly and you don't even really need to play the others to understand the story to it since it's all pretty self-contained. The same goes for Tales of Vesperia although going from Berseria to Vesperia will probably be kind of weird because the combat in Berseria is 3D while Vesperia is 2D which for me took a while to get used to.

• Like 4

I've been playing Cold Steel and have been loving it.  Like I bought it and just a couple days later XSeed had a sale and I already knew I was going to want to continue and bought the second one right away.

I want to add the Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth games to the list.  These games are fantastic even if you're not a fan of Digimon.  It's got a MegaTen vibe: takes place in Tokyo and you end the game with a party of Gods.  If you've played Final Fantasy X, it's got a battle system like that.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Redgrave said:

On top of Trails of Cold Steel I will also go ahead and recommend Tokyo Xanadu Ex+ since it's made by the same people although it has more of an action-RPG style of combat. Tokyo Xanadu Ex+ is basically the definitive version of the game with more story content. I'm also pretty sure the same devs have also made the Ys series but I can't really vouch for that yet since I have Ys VIII in the backlog but I know a lot of people will say it's good, but if it's by the same devs then I'm sure it's also great.

Ys is indeed by the same dev as Trails of Cold Steel and Tokyo Xanadu.  Ys VIII is also a great entry point and an amazing game that ended up being my favorite in the series. It's an action RPG with more of a focus on exploration and gameplay over story though the story and character development is still great.

Other games I can recommend are Kemco RPGs.  I'm pretty sure all of them have a PS4 version, though I tend to play them on Vita if there is a Vita version available.  They also tend to be inexpensive and shorter, but still very fun.  My personal favorites by them are Legend of the Tetrarchs and Monochrome Order.  I like them because they are short and sweet along with being easy and fun.  I tend to get incredibly addicted and beat them in a pretty short time.  Most are going to range from about 15-20 hours for the plat but the games are $15, less if you catch them on sale. I always find it great when you get a short game that still accomplishes being fun and they are nice and relaxing as well because there are zero missables.  Just avoid Frane: Dragon's Odyssey, because that's a terrible action RPG.  The rest are turn based RPGs.

Edited by ladynadiad
  • Like 3

Gravity Rush series. In love with it for a lot of reasons, some of which I merely can't explain. Actual reasons include great graphics (that don't look like they're from previous gens), lore, world-building, OST, characters, gameplay (especially in the sequel) and story. It's a very special and unique series that is typically not similar to other games.

God Eater series is awesome as well, which is to be expected from an anime-like Monster Hunter.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Redgrave said:

The Tales of series is also another thing I'll recommend even though I have only played two entries. Tales of Berseria is probably the most beginner friendly and you don't even really need to play the others to understand the story to it since it's all pretty self-contained. The same goes for Tales of Vesperia although going from Berseria to Vesperia will probably be kind of weird because the combat in Berseria is 3D while Vesperia is 2D which for me took a while to get used to.

I've thought long and hard about starting the tales series but i'm a little bit doubtful because the platinums are like 200 hours. If I only played one tales game which one would you recommend?

6 minutes ago, EcoShifter said:

Gravity Rush series. In love with it for a lot of reasons, some of which I merely can't explain. Actual reasons include great graphics (that don't look like they're from previous gens), lore, world-building, OST, characters, gameplay (especially in the sequel) and story. It's a very special and unique series that is typically not similar to other games.

I loved Gravity Rush 1 but really didn't like 2! I started it and like 4 hours later was very bored so i just deleted it. Should I go back?

9 minutes ago, linkdevivo said:

I've thought long and hard about starting the tales series but i'm a little bit doubtful because the platinums are like 200 hours. If I only played one tales game which one would you recommend?

They are pretty grindy yeah. From my experience with Vesperia and Berseria they aren't really hard grinds but they do want you to go out of your way to do a lot of stuff that you wouldn't normally do. Though I have read some of the grinds for the other games are pretty nuts but don't take my word for it.

If you were to play only one then I would say Berseria since it's more streamlined which I guess is the right word here. Vesperia is good but since it is a JRPG from 2008 it's dated in certain spots. Like you pretty much need a guide to tell you how to find all the obscure stuff or just where to find certain NPCs to talk to and there's a lot of missable things. Again, it's not a bad game but you will need a guide whereas I'm pretty sure Berseria marks things for you and there's a quest tracker. If you play Berseria and then like it, I would definitely say go ahead and do Vesperia too and then see if you like that one enough to try out the other games.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, linkdevivo said:

I loved Gravity Rush 1 but really didn't like 2! I started it and like 4 hours later was very bored so i just deleted it. Should I go back?

Let me just say I'd willingly bet that if you were to go back to GR2 and beat it you'd regret not having done so when you first played. So the answer is obviously yes. ?

I can understand being bored of the game in the beginning, which is clearly because of the slower pacing of the storyline. But, there's reasons for that. Things are being established.... The game undoubtedly gets more interesting later on. There's generally a lot going on in the world, and everything is connected (part of why I freaking love this series). Trying my best not to spoil here, because trust me this is a series you DO NOT want spoiled for you. Heavily story and character driven. Overall, the second game is much better, there's no contest; it's one of those massive and very ambitious sequels that go beyond and really push the series to new heights, which is pretty evident via various areas of the game. (First game is still perfectly fine, though. I have no issues whatsoever returning to it or playing it alongside the sequel, which I've already done and can do again. Then again, I am referring to the remastered version, which was enhanced incredibly. Original version isn't bad, but the remaster is the definitive version.)

Edited by EcoShifter
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, linkdevivo said:

I'm going to have to give you the opposite opinion, I'm afraid. I loved the first game but was very disappointed in the second one and kind of had to force myself to finish it.

• Like 1

I can probably think of a few good ones...

• Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force (turn-based)
  • Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance (strategy/turn-based on a grid map, think Final Fantasy Tactics if you've ever played that. The older titles can be extremely grindy, this one's not as bad though)
  • Megadimension Neptunia VII (turn-based, but the other main games are all on the PS3/Vita)
  • Valkyria Chronicles (Remastered & 4 are strategy/turn-based, while Revolution is more action-based)

There's also the Atelier series, but those aren't as good as the older ones on the PS3 though (in my opinion at least), the God Eater series, which is a good action JRPG. :hmm:

• Like 1

Tales of Berseria and World of Final Fantasy are great choices. Tales of Berseria has adventure, great character back stories (I think so), and a very satisfying battle system. It's a great action JRPG. I played over 100 hours, but I'm sure you can plat it under that. World of Final Fantasy has a great story and turn-based combat. More of the grind happens after the story, but it's worth it.