Give me your best JRPG on PS4

linkdevivo

the whole Star Ocean series except for Second Story is about to be on PS4 once First Departure R hits PSN in about a week, and Star Ocean is absolutely excellent. Avoid the 5th game and play the rest (specifically First Departure). Star Ocean games are action RPGs but they don't feel strictly like hack n' slash games like many other action RPGs. 

Disgaea 1, 4, and 5 are all on PS4 and they're all quite good. They're tactical RPGs like Final Fantasy Tactics or Fire Emblem, but with a very large emphasis on grinding your characters up to be monstrous. You can do billions of damage in postgame lol. Their stories tend to be very comedic, too, so if you're into that sort of thing then the series might be up your alley

Battlechasers Nightwar is a charming indie turn-based RPG that takes inspiration from JRPGs. It does get a little repetitive but it's worth a look. In a similar vein, Rainbow Moon and Rainbow Skies are also indie RPGs that try to evoke the vibes of older JRPGs

Siralim 1, 2, and 3 are criminally underrated indie RPGs in the same vein as Pokemon or Shin Megami Tensei. You collect monsters and build teams with them. Siralim as a series is heavily focused on building strong team synergies by playing around with different monster compositions, and you have 6 monsters out at a time. Every monster has a unique passive but you can get those passives as legendary materials which you can slot into gear. Each Siralim game is worth playing, too, because the passives and balance are changed heavily between games. For example, the monster Fallen Carnage is broke as a joke in the first Siralim but he was nerfed heavily in 2, so he's not quite as useful. But you can still go use the broken Fallen Carnage since he wasn't patched out

This is a little bit of a copout suggestion, but PS Now subscription also opens you up to all the PS3 JRPGs that are available on the service. All the Agarest games, Wizardry, Ragnarok, all the PS3 Disgaeas, Atelier Rorona, Atelier Shallie, Atelier Ayesha (my personal fav), Atelier Escha & Logy, etc. There's also plenty of PS4 JRPGs on there too, like the aforementioned Disgaea 5. Megadimension Neptunia, Persona 5, The Witch & the Hundred Knight, etc. PS Now is worth it if your internet can handle it and you wanna really delve into some JRPGs without spending too much

• Like 2

I think almost everyone gave you excellent JRPGs. Falcom games are really great for almost everything: characters, plot and soundtrack. About Trails of Cold Steel I'd start with the first one, so you can fall in love with Class VII! :wub:Ys VIII is my favourite JRPG on PS4 and a good starting point with the series (we have also Memories of Celceta on Vita and a PS4 Japan porting, and Ys Origin which is the hardest among the three). Then there's Tokyo Xanadu eX+ (the "definitive" edition), a game which has a lot of elements from ToCS, but the Ys action combat system.

4 hours ago, linkdevivo said:

I've thought long and hard about starting the tales series but i'm a little bit doubtful because the platinums are like 200 hours. If I only played one tales game which one would you recommend?

Also the Tales of games are really great, but they require a long grinding, and usually most of them have a +100 hours platinum. But a couple of them are shorter: Tales of Xillia (PS3, "only 50 hours), was my first Tales game, and it was really fun! And there's also Tales of Hearts R (on Vita, again "only" 50 hours").

I'd recommend also Vesperia and Berseria, but these are really longer (>100 hours)

There's the Dark Cloud series, which are porting from the PS2 games. These were made by Level 5, the same which created Ni no Kuni. Action combat system in random created dungeons, and alsom a georama function which let you rebuild the world. This function was improved in the second game, so what you build in the present could change the future! Surely Dark Cloud 2 (or Dark Chronicle for the EU version) is one of the best JRPG from the PS2 era.:)

What else? There's the Atelier series, with a lot of games divided in trilogies. Turn-base combat system, gathering ingredients in order to craft bombs, weapons and armours, so you can fight stronger monster, gather better ingredients and craft better weapons, etc. And time limit (especially in the Arland and Dusk trilogies, while the recent games have no time limit).

There are also the Neptunia games: anime girls and console war, with a turn based combat system. There's the original trilogy on PS3 and the remakes (called Re;Birth) on Vita, then we have the VII, the Cyberdimension Neptunia and the Super Neptunia RPG on PS4. And !F made also Death End Re,Quest.

• Like 2

On 12/1/2019 at 1:34 AM, cckerberos said:

I'm going to have to give you the opposite opinion, I'm afraid. I loved the first game but was very disappointed in the second one and kind of had to force myself to finish it.

(A lot of parentheses incoming.)

Being bored or not interested in the game is fine. These things happen with literally any game regardless of its quality, but "very disappointed" is a poor choice of words. The sequel improves on nearly everything, all the things I mentioned (can elaborate on if needed) prior, plus actual side missions in the base game (the first game didn't include side missions until it received DLC, and even then it's only 6 in total... vs GR2's 50 or so), the universally praised inclusions of the part-photo-mode-part-gameplay-mechanic Camera device and online (when the servers were up), much better characterization across the board, playable Raven(!!), not only better looking but also more cinematics, more rift planes, more boss fights iirc, a completely different level of world verticality (being able to seamlessly travel different altitudes to arrive at different cities is amazing, whereas the first game only ever stays on one flat horizontal middle plane), better and more complex level/structure geometry, more interesting characters, better ending, etc. (I have to stop somewhere.) The only reason outside randomly poor timing or relaive disinterest I can see people being disappointed with the game, is because the pacing of the story or how it starts off, even though its larger in scope and length to the original and honestly more entertaining. (I've seen some of the stealth sections be complained about—some of those people having forgotten the first game has multiple stealth sections itself—with the issue being the restricted usage of gravity power during them; however, this is partially incorrect as some stealth missions do allow you to use your gravity powers and without getting caught. The story also does a competent job at supporting the presence of the stealth missions; not all games do that.) Additionally, GR2 ties up MANY lose ends from the first game (this includes character arcs and side stories), which I really, really appreciate. Some of it is through the main plot, some through side missions, and some through conversations. Yes, people who skip conversations (which I've seen on youtube playthoughs) are technically missing out on various content. 

I just want to separate gameplay into its own line, because it's utterly apparent how much better the sequel's gameplay is. Not only does it improves powers for the better, like the blackhole and especially stasis field (which people highly appreciate), but it adds completely new game changing powers, mostly in the form of pseudo transformations known as Lunar and Jupiter style. The former's design also increases traversal options so that it's not mainly just between falling (she doesn't actually fly) and sliding to get around manually, and it's fun... so much to the point that GIFs from the game are often showcasing that specific power! (I've also seen a forum where people referred to it as one of the most fun (and best) traversal mechanics they've played in open-worlds (all three pages, and it's worth pointing out when some people say "Gravity Rush" they don't just mean the first game.) That impact.

Then you got a better, more engaging skill "tree" and the ability/effects based tailsman system.

There's also that one ultimate power that can actually be used here unlike in the first game but I won't list because of spoilers.

As for non-combat related features, there's the Delvool Trench Mine, which among increasing replay-value even further (especially when the online portion was still up), acts as dungeon-style survival based challenge mode, one that is designed surprisingly great, home customization, etc. Generally, the replay-value with this game is unrivaled compared to its prequel, even with the online terminated, because of the depth of the (longer) story, the overall gameplay related improvements and additions, and the new features.

The game even has both mission and chapter select, neither of which the first game has! It's so refreshing, and it's something I scold the remaster of the first game for not having included for its story missions, because it was a golden opportunity via remastering. Having to replay the first game from beginning to end every single time just to see or get to what you want during revisits is horrible. 

Edited by EcoShifter

12 hours ago, Larx said:

Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir is an overhauled real-time 2D RPG/adventure with a stirring fairytale setting and loads of enjoyable combat to supplement its touching tale. Vanillaware strikes gold and diamonds with their output; apart from the game's common recycling environments, I will praise OSL to the moon and back. :) *Easily* one of my favorite PS4 games, full stop~

yeah, i've heard great things from OSL it's definitely in my list to buy when i get the chance!

9 hours ago, skateak said:

Give it to you? Would you at least pay shipping? It would only be fair. 

Well, it's not really like give it away to me. More like, give me your best suggestions. Cracked me up ?

It's getting harder to respond to everyone who posted suggestions but thank you guys so much for taking the time to respond! I'll definitely pick a lot of these up!!

Edited by linkdevivo
  • Like 2

My favorite is definitely Persona 5, but since i didnt see any mentions of it: Hack//G.U. Last Recode. It has the 3 ps2 titles and a new final 4th chapter (as i understand it). Its about a guy named Haseo that plays this MMORPG called "The World". He is a bit of an asshole but shit happens and... honestly, i do not remember much of the actual plot (and have only played vol 2 and about halfway trough 3), but i remember enjoying it, alongside the action-based combat with the different weapons Haseo can have as you progress.You can also choose to log out of said MMO and do other stuff like check your email, acess some websites and i just remember finding that to be very cool at the time. Just bought it this weekend, waiting for it to arrive so i can see if i still find it as enjoyable.

Edited by LionRed10
  • Like 1

That's a hard question, since the (personal) best JRPG I played on the system was a remaster (FF XII TZA), while the closest thing to my "JRPG of the generation" was a Switch exclusive (Xenoblade 2). However to give an actual suggestion and if you don't mind remasters, then I'd suggest Resonance of Fate. The story is convoluted nonsense, but I think this is a good JRPG for those who enjoy messing with battle systems. Basically sacrifice story for fun, but I rather have it that way around. Someone also mentioned Ys Origin. That game is my favorite in the series along with Oath. It has a very dynamic gameplay pace for a JRPG. The newer Ys games I find to be more narrative/side-objective heavy.

Valkyria Chronicles games I think are also very accessible, with relatively mild grind requirements for plats, so seconding them.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, EcoShifter said:

Being bored or not interested in the game is fine. These things happen with literally any game regardless of its quality, but "very disappointed" is a terrible choice of words.

Why? I was very disappointed with the game.

I mean, it would be one thing if I said "the game sucked" or whatever, but I made a factual statement about my subjective feelings towards the game. I'm not going to read your passionate defense of the game and say "I guess I was wrong and didn't actually feel that way when I played it."

• Like 1

As many of the others stated above, I agree on recommending pretty much anything coming out of the Falcom awesomeness factory: Ys, Trails, Xanadu, etc...

Valkyria Chronicles is my next choice if you want a more tactical themed jrpg.

This next one might be a bit of a stretch, but I would also advise looking into the Yakuza games. I'll admit, they don't seem like your typical jrpg (nor one at all) upon a first glance. However, the longer I play them (currently with Kiwami 2 atm) the more convinced I am to believe otherwise.

• Like 2

It's persona 5, Such a pity we haven't seen a real SMT for so long. Once you've finished the English version get hold of a Japanese copy and do it all over again, that's what I'm currently doing.

I love JRPG's but sometimes? Get yourself a copy of Earth Defense Force 4.1 on the ps4 or 2025 on the ps3 :) You'll never platinum either, they are far from RPG status but the Japanese really shines.

Like everyone already said : 

- Toc 1-2-3

- Valkyria Chronicles 1 - 4 

- Odin Sphère 

- Tales of Berseria and Vesperia

Avoid Zestiria, it's probably one of the worst Tales ever made with Tempest and not a good start in my opinion. 

If you want recent releases on other consoles I really suggest Xenoblade 2 and Fire Emblem Tree House on Switch, not the best of their own series but still good and memorable Jrpg.

Is this okay to begin the Ys serie with Ys VIII? This thread made me wonder about this one... ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cckerberos said:

I mean, it would be one thing if I said "the game sucked" or whatever, but I made a factual statement about my subjective feelings towards the game. I'm not going to read your passionate defense of the game and say "I guess I was wrong and didn't actually feel that way when I played it."

Trust me, it's better to ignore that one. Engaging with him is little more than a waste of time.

@linkdevivo, I totally forgot, but the ps4 sega classics collection has shining force 1 & 2 and I think 3 from the phantasy star series - highly recommended if you like old school RPGs.  If you're willing to go to previous gen, the suikoden series is one of my all-time favorites.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, escarodasoul said:

Is this okay to begin the Ys serie with Ys VIII? This thread made me wonder about this one... 1f914.png

The Ys games are largely stand alone.  I+II being the exception.  And the games aren't in chronological order either so it's okay to play them however.

8 hours ago, cckerberos said:

That's fair. I was thinking about that, but sometimes people don't mean what their words say. But my "passionate defense" incorporates a lot of objective reasoning :( (I'll clean it up a little to be more concise... for my own sake, though.)

The Tales of series is one oh the best JRPG’s of the moment, the Star Ocean franchise also has good games. You also have Tokyo Xanado eX+, from the same company as atrais of Cold Steel. The God Eater series and Shining Resonance Refrain can also be interesting.