Give me your best JRPG on PS4

linkdevivo

7 minutes ago, SecondGenesis said:

Going to go with :

Battle Chasers : Nightwar and Dragon's Quest Xi

Thank you for mentioning Battle Chasers! Such a wonderful game! It's a mix of Final Fantasy X style combat and dungeon crawling, all wrapped up in a gorgeous and atmospheric Joe Mad  (comics artist) package! I had a few unfortunate bugs with it (mostly crashes), but it's really worth it!

Also abso-hecking-lutely DQ XI! What a delight that one is! Though, if you have a switch, definitely spring for that version instead! :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrBenosaurus said:

Thank you for mentioning Battle Chasers! Such a wonderful game! It's a mix of Final Fantasy X style combat and dungeon crawling, all wrapped up in a gorgeous and atmospheric Joe Mad  (comics artist) package! I had a few unfortunate bugs with it (mostly crashes), but it's really worth it!

Also abso-hecking-lutely DQ XI! What a delight that one is! Though, if you have a switch, definitely spring for that version instead! :)

Absolutely loved the art in Battle Chasers! Wasn't it made by some of the devs from THQ? Certainly shows in the character designs, reminds me of Darksiders

• Like 1

On 12/1/2019 at 2:24 AM, DaivRules said:

Can’t talk about JRPGs without talking about Disgaea! Disgaea 1 Complete is now out on PS4. Great place to start with the series. 

I would also recommend Disgaea 4. The plat is annoying, but among the first four games, it is the pinnacle of the series, gameplay-wise.

For a more traditional experience, I think that Persona 5 is good. Nice, turn-based battle with a few twists. I enjoy the social part of the game (though not as much as Persona 4).

But honestly, the best JRPGs are the re-releases. The PS1 FFs blow away most anything on the system. Like an earlier poster said, the Sega Genesis collection has the Shining games AND the Phantasy Star games. Phantasy Star 4 is one of the best JRPGs ever.

On 12/1/2019 at 3:18 AM, Burgins said:

the whole Star Ocean series except for Second Story is about to be on PS4 once First Departure R hits PSN in about a week, and Star Ocean is absolutely excellent. Avoid the 5th game and play the rest (specifically First Departure). Star Ocean games are action RPGs but they don't feel strictly like hack n' slash games like many other action RPGs. 

Another great set of re-releases. Star Ocean: Till the End of Time still plays well (although it looks pretty bad). Star Ocean 4 is fine except for the BTs. Star Ocean 5 (the only "new" title to be released this generation) completely sucks, though. Avoid it. I'm looking forward to First Departure myself.

• Like 2

So... both the series I recommended (Gravity Rush, Gravity Rush 2, God Eater, God Eater 2) are on (great) sales right now via the "End of the Year" sale. How perfect. TC.. if you don't already have these games, now is the best time to get them (especially the GR series as those games have typically been $2-3 higher in price in the last couple of sales I've seen them in).

Edited by EcoShifter
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SecondGenesis said:

Absolutely loved the art in Battle Chasers! Wasn't it made by some of the devs from THQ? Certainly shows in the character designs, reminds me of Darksiders

Yep! Airship Syndicate (the dev team) is made up of ex-vigil games employees (first two Darksiders games).

That art style would be the work of Joe Madureira, the creator of the Battle Chasers comic series, and of course, the art designer for Darksiders! Gotta love his awesome mix of western and Japanese characters designs!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MrBenosaurus said:

Yep! Airship Syndicate (the dev team) is made up of ex-vigil games employees (first two Darksiders games).

That art style would be the work of Joe Madureira, the creator of the Battle Chasers comic series, and of course, the art designer for Darksiders! Gotta love his awesome mix of western and Japanese characters designs!

Cool, thanks for clarifying :D

• 2 weeks later...

Valkyria Chronicles. Now handily remastered for PS4 and with trophies. The characters are fantastic, the setting is interesting (alternate history legally distinct totally not Europe), the gameplay is pretty much unique combining RPG, SRPG, FPS and a bunch of other mechanics together and making it work, plus that OST and art style are absolutely gorgeous. Until recently I would've said Demon's Souls and Valkyria Chronicles are the reasons to buy a PS3 alone, but VC finally got ported to both PS4 and PC. Highly recommended.

Seconding calls for Persona 5 and Disgaea games (only played 1-3 but as far as I'm aware the core gameplay loop and charm is still there in the ones on PS4, just not got around to them because they are SUPER LONG). Gravity Rush 1 and 2 are both wonderful games but I wouldn't really call them RPGs, worth playing though. Odin Sphere Leifthrasir is phenomenal too if you want RPG/2D hack and slash combined, and has a ton of content whilst feeling lovely to play.

Oh and if you can pick up a PSVita or PSTV as well, get Persona 4: Golden and Muramasa Rebirth (plus the DLC), they're like Persona 5 and Odin Sphere respectively but by the same teams and even more recommended.

• Like 1

On 2019-11-30 at 11:12 PM, Dr_Mayus said:

You know what, I just played the game Earthlock and it is a great hidden gem. I bought it cheap on a sale and was blown away with how much fun I had with it.

Check it out :)

second this.

Also Earthlock 2 currently under development... ? looking forward to it soooo much!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to report in and say that I decided to try Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana based on the suggestions in this thread, and I liked it a lot; so much so that I got the platinum for it. The gameplay and combat are really awesome and the music is absolutely spectacular. The story of the game though I did not care for all that much, speciall how half of the game is just them being regular castaways which I found nice but very generic. Looking forward to Ys 9 Localization because it looks pretty cool, plus it has a 40% platinum trophy rarity so I'm sure it'll be very doable and fun.

• 3 years later...