PSNP 2019 Year End Awards

Thre's still three weeks left, so something might come and catch me, like Untitled Goose Game, but i'm confidant these are my choices.

Piece of Cake

L8c086c.png

Super Weekend Mode

My new fastest platinum at 4 minutes and 56 seconds. Too bad because there's actually some cool artstyle there and maybe it could have been more but thats Raitalaika for you.

It's Like Dark Souls

.Lcd4cce.png

Resident Evil 2

I never played this back in the day. And Getting the platinum was a trip. Hardcore Mode made me really pay attention. Great game.

Bass Ass Award

L4e3986.png

Vacation Simulator

First in the world to Plat it (The North American Version) and with no guides. There's some tough ass puzzles in there.

Grind of the Year

TIE

Ldc50bc.png

Leb71b7.png

Death Stranding and Hasbro Family Game Night 3

Death Stranding: 100 hours to get those packages and throw that pee. All Enjoyable.

Family Game Night: Fifty plus times through the games, someone them boring as shit (Mousetrap). A chore.

King of the Internet

L0ee7c1.png

Tom Clancey's The Division 2

Had fun online with friends and a good experience finding some help for the Dark Zone trophies and working out some tricky trophies before the info was out for everyone.

Worst Online Experience

L3ee619.png

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale (Vita)

Trying to get this done right before the servers turned off was a nightmare. Tons of people grouping up for trophies then leaving once they got theirs but I had not gotten mine. Also the service sucks anyway, and there were people playing just to take on and stop the trophy hunters. Glad this is shut down forever.

Sleeper Hit of the Year

TIE

L43c1f4.png

L17ab86.png

Days Gone and Astro Bot Rescue Mission

Everyone wrote this off before it came out as a whatever zombie game. I loved this game. I loved the story, the gameplay, the fact that it takes place here in Oregon. Loved it.

Astro Bot is THE GAME for PSVR. It is the game that best uses the hgardware and it charming the whole way through.

Biggest Bomb of the Year

TIE

Lb56413.png

L290b29.png

Outer Wilds and Rage 2

A friend told me to go into Outer Wilds blind. They forgot to mention is mostly space flying which I suck at and don't like. The idea of the time loop and exploration sounds great but the flying made me give up after an hour. Maybe i'll go back to it one day but for now I can't play it.

Rage 2 makes me angry. The shooting and powers are great but there's barely any content to use them in. Its buggy as hell and broken in parts, and fuck those Spy Drones.

Best Trophy Image

Non-Platinum

14L9fe6df.png

Nice! Uh... Poster (Just Ignore Them)

You know I had to do it to'em.

Platinum

1L82443e.png

A New Hope (Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order)

That iconic image as a platinum. It's perfect.

Worst Trophy Image

1L12365b.png

Boast Giant (Ghost Giant)

It would have been too easy to pick a game where the platinum image is just the generic platinum picture. So instead this is the worst example of where every single trophy is just the logo. I played a couple of those too, and this is the worst logo from that bunch.

Best Female Character

310?cb=20170824101713

Razmi from Indivisible

She's a swamp witch who wears the dead carcass of her pet tiger while it's soul is in her lantern. And she's got the best quips.

Best Male Character

310?cb=20190326202227

Dr. Casper Darling from Control

Dr. Darlings videos from Control were the best thing to set the world of Control and to explain the FBC. Also Remedy's way of showing real footage in game always looks phenomenal.

Best Plat of the Year

1L455da6.png

Director of the FBC (Control)

Everything about this plat was fun. Nothing felt like a grind. Nothing felt like a chore. Also nothing was broken when I played it. GOTY and Platinum of the year.

Worst Plat of the Year

1L0808ec.png

Your Fabulous No-Prize! (LEGO Marvel Super Heroes Universe in Peril)

I've played objectivly worse games this year but this is the one that brought the most hate out of me. I got this game on Gamefly and I don't remember requesting it but I thought, whatever its just another LEGO game. It's not. It's THE WORST LEGO GAME. Plays like shit, controls like shit, harder than it should be. It';s just complete garbage.

Most Anticipated Platinum

Same as last year but at least now I know for sure i'm getting it.

CYBERPUNK 2077!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by DoctorDrPepper
  • Like 2

Alright I think I got my last plat for the year so I think I'll post my verdict now.

Piece of cake

Nominees:

• Fullblast - easiest schmup you'll ever play and it's at least somewhat decent
  • Batman: The Enemy Within - One of the better Telltale games.
  • One Word - word puzzle game that was too simple to be fun.
  • Metagal - A Megaman clone that's subpar
  • My Big Sister - Short point-and-click horror game. The best of the easy games

Winner

L938cf8.png

Batman: The Enemy Within

You just can't compete with a game wher you literally just have to play it.

It's like Dark Souls

Nominees:

• Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - Exo Survival solo play without using glitches.
  • Metal Slug Anthology - It's an arcade game on consoles, that has input lag.
  • Bloodborne - It's as close to Dark Souls as it gets.
  • Pillars of Eternity - RNG trophies will drive you mad.
  • Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls - Hardcore mode

Winner

L8ebf3a.png

A fairly short game that provides quite a bit of struggle. It's a relatively difficult game to begin with and the lag and input delay just make it unfair.

Bad Ass Award

Nominees:

• Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls - Beat hardcore mode on first attempt
  • Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - Flipped the map 3 times, solo without using glitches.
  • Bloodborne - Every boss fight, but beating Orphan of Kos on first try during my first playthrough is the highlight.
  • Ghost Recon Wildands - The Predator challenge solo
  • This War of Mine - Surviving

Winner

L57216c.png

It's just a consistent feeling of reward with every boss you defeat. Can't beat that.

Grind of the Year

Nominees:

• Assassin's Crred Origins - fairly tame compared to what's about to come.
  • Riddled Corpses EX - You need to grind in order to progress and beat the game.
  • Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls - 500 bounties
  • Assassin's Creed Unity - around 400 collectibles to gather
  • Ghost Recon Wildlands - make that about 500 collectibles

Winner

ubisoft-logo.jpg

For being dicks when it comes to collectibles

L54895c.png

The 500 bounty grind is rough.

King of the Internet

Nominess:

• Strange Brigade - Fun game with solid co-op mode
  • Assassin's Creed Unity - Connection was good and no noticeable delay.
  • Ghost Recon Wildlands - Stable enough, so no complaints
  • Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls - Great game with great co-op
  • Bloodborne - Online is optional, for that alone it deserves to be on the list

Winner

L54895c.png

It's just a really good time overall.

Worst Online Experience

Winner

L8cfdce.png

There was no competition for this one. Fuck me the online is horrid. The connection keeps crashing all the time or it can't find the other player (keep in mind this happens while boosting). Game is fun, but the online can go die in a fire.

Sleeper Hit of the Year

Nominees:

• Strange Brigade - Had way more fun than I thought I would.
  • Lost Sphear - Didn't have high expectations with this one, and it blew me away.
  • Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel - Another one that surprised me how fun it is.
  • Transistor - Didn't really knnow what to make of it at first, but ended up loving it.
  • White Night - So simple and yet great

Winner

L602bef.png

Lost Sphear

One of the best games Square Enix ever put out.

Biggest Bomb of the Year

Nominees:

• Fear Effect Sedna - This looked neat, but turned out to be a nasty surprise
  • Outcast: Second Contact - I should've known it was going to be crap
  • Pyre - To be fair, I wasn't sure if I'd like this one to begin with. Should've gone with my gut.
  • Deponia Doomsday - Usually I enjoy the Deponia games, but this was a tacked on mess.
  • Observer - Was looking forward to this one. So much wasted potential.

Winner

L3bd38a.pngLd59b3c.pngL331e50.png

It's a tie between those three, as I had hopes for all of them and all of them let me down. Observer could be the one which could actually be saved, if they patched the technical issues, but that will never happen.

Best Trophy image

Winner

1La5ccb4.png

Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls

There wasn't really a contest.

Worst Trophy Image

Winner

1L186623.png

Can't see it can you? Yeah that's right, Timothy vs the fucking Aliens in a nutshell.

Best male character

Nominees:

• Mafia 3 - Father James
  • Assassin's Creed Origins - Bayek
  • Detroit Become Human - Connor
  • Detroit Become Human - Hank
  • Bloodborne - Gehrman

Winner

70ed051fc65f26f319437802f2b6e944.jpg

Mafia 3 - Father James

Even though he has more of a supporting role, the performance of this chracter is one of the best in video game history.

Best female character

Nominees:

• Detroit Become Human - Kara
  • Horizon Zero Dawn - Aloy
  • Ghost Recon: Wildlands - Karen Bowman
  • Uncharted: Lost Legacy - Chloe Frazer
  • Assassin's Creed Origins - Aya

Winner

86d264ed51947269bbc3fcac57cf2dff.jpg

Horizon Zero Dawn - Aloy

Out of the nominees it was just the one with the best performance.

Best soundtrack

Nominees:

• Mafia 3
  • Blazblue Cross Tag Battle
  • I Am The Hero
  • Detroit Become Human
  • Pyre

Winner

and

It's a tie between I Am the Hero and Pyre. Not the soundtracks i expected to be among the nominated, considering both games are mediocre. Both have excellent music though.

Worst plat of the Year

Nominees:

• X-Blades - Looks like crap and plays like crap.
  • Syberia 3 - Seems like it aged in reverse
  • Outcast: Second Contact - Shame on you for releaseing this
  • Wizards Tourney - Oof
  • Timothy vs Aliens - It's shite.

Winner

Le102ab.png

It's pure boredom of uninspired minigames.

Best plat of the Year

Nominees:

• Horizon Zero Dawn - Had a great time with it.
  • Assassin's Creed Origins - Exploring Egypt was a lot of fun
  • Bloodborne - It's so damn good.
  • Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls - So much content, and 100s of hours of enjoyment.
  • Pillars of Eternit - Almost the perfect CRPG

Winner

L57216c.png

It's just phenomenal on every level. At this point my favourite game on PS4 and it will be difficult to surpass it.

Most anticipated platinum of 2020

Looking forward to platting both God of War (2018) and Dishonored 2 next year.

Edited by voodoo_eyes
  • Like 4

Alright, let's do this COME ON!

Piece of Cake Award:
Nominees:

• Burly men at sea
  • Conan Exiles - debug mode lol
  • Game of Thrones
  • Batman

Winner:

Batman

Lba674d.png

Of all nominees, this has the best story.

It's like Dark Souls:

Nominees:

• Crash Bandicoot 2
  • Bloodborne
  • Guacamelee 2
  • Dark Souls 3

Winner:

Bloodborne

1L7b8776.png

It is pretty much like Dark Souls.

Bad Ass Award:

Winner:

Bloodborne - Cleric Beast

22L0158c2.png

I've been listening to its theme long before starting the game, and when I got to it, I beat it the first time. Badass boss with a badass theme.

Grind of the Year:

Nominees:

• Dark Souls 3
  • Overcooked 2

Winner:

Dark Souls 3

Lb6ba20.png

Those useful covenant items...

King of the Internet:

Nominees:

• Bloodborne - Thanks to all those that helped me through chalices dungeons
  • Dark Souls 3
  • Diablo 3 - Playing with friends is the reason why this is here

Winner:

Dark Souls 3

Lb6ba20.png

Sunbros.

Worst Online Experience:

Winner:

Diablo 3

L66368e.png

I love this game, but it was full of hackers.

Sleeper hit of the year:

Winner:

The Nonary Games

Ld56f80.png

To be honest, I knew that this game was good according to some reviews, but boy what a story. The kind of story that stays with you for a long time.

Biggest bomb of the year:
Nominees:

• Game of Thrones
  • Detroit - The story was OK, but there was one particular decision at the end that was bad IMO. And replaying it for the trophies was boring.
  • Horizon Zero Dawn - I'm sorry, but I didn't like playing it. The graphics were amazing, but I was just dragging to the end. Frozen Wilds was pretty good though, they improved a lot from the main game.

Winner:

Game of Thrones

Lefac08.png

You can play the game without a controller, just picking whatever decision at some key points. The ending was anti-climatic due to a terrible lag.

Best Trophy Image:

Nominees:

• Dancer of the Boreal Valley (Dark Souls 3) - I just love this boss design.
  • Bloodborne (Bloodborne) - My current wallpaper
  • Father and Son (God of War)

Winner:

Father and BOI (God of War)

1L13ff8b.png

So simple, yet so meaningful.

Worst Trophy Image:

Nominees:

• I'm Batman (Batman)
  • Lord of Ironrath (Game of Thrones)

Winner:

Lord of Ironrath (Game of Thrones)

1La054a2.png

Meh

Best Female Character:

Nominees:

• Phi (The Nonary Games)
  • Aloy (Horizon Zero Dawn) - The voice acting was amazing
  • Freya (God of War)
  • Lady Maria (Bloodborne) - There is a reason she is the face of DLC

Winner:

Phi (The Nonary Games)

ss_a27833acbcdbfd9fc2fe1730b3191dd3483bfaee.1920x1080.jpg?t=1541999980

I know Phi... I know...

Best Male Character:

Nominees:

• Slave Knight Gael (Dark Souls 3) - We should make a painting of him
  • Connor (Detroit) - The best part of the game
  • Juan (Guacamelee 2)
  • Kratos (God of War)
  • Junpei (The Nonary Games)

Winner:

Kratos (God of War)

latest?cb=20181207151509

Also one of the best characters transformation

Best Plat of the Year:

Nominees:

• God of War
  • Bloodborne - Almost made it. This is a masterpiece on every level.
  • Diablo 3
  • The Nonary Games
  • Marvel's Spider-Man - The details of this game are amazing. Congratulations to everyone involved.

Winner:

Dad of BOI

1L13ff8b.png

What a journey, enjoyed every second of it.

Wurst Plat Ov Teh Yeer:

Nominees:

• Game of Thrones
  • Conan Exiles
  • Horizon Zero Dawn - sorry
  • Detroit

Winner:

Game of Thrones

Lefac08.png

The tension it was building came down to very little at the end.

Most Anticipated Platinum of 2020:

• Zero Time Dilemma
  • Sekiro
  • Castlevania
  • Nioh
  • Like 2

Piece of Cake

1L6e1515.png

The Long Walk

(The Walking Dead Collection)

Awarded for being the easiest platinum obtained this year, even with that one infamous rng related trophy from "400 Days".

It's Like Dark Souls

1L7e8de1.png

GRIP Legend

(GRIP: Combat Racing)

Awarded for having some difficulty spikes, increased difficulty later on in the campaign, and some of the infamous Carkour challenges, resulting in the game itself having the hardest platinum trophy I achieved this year.

Badass Award 

Awarded for performing a hard read.. so close to the finish line.. that I wasn't fully sure was going to land, with the end result being my team winning the match within a matter of seconds solely because of it.

There are very few items I could have gotten that would have allowed me to hit that person. Furthermore, deciding against teamplay (which is a part of the game and gameplay at times) turned out to be the best quick-action plan. It is possible that my team could have won if me passing the items to them would have allowed them to gain higher positions, but that's just theoretical. The plan I choose was effective, badass, and the victory is foreshadowed on the left hand side of the screen where the team HUDs is. 

Grind of the Year

1Ld10ba1.png

Halls of Valhalla

(Mad Max)

Awarded to "Halls of Valhalla" from Mad Max for requiring one of two, if not the worst, accumulation of grind-based demanding actions this year, like becoming this wasteland god of destruction-of-sorts that eliminates every single threat within the land, gathering all collectibles, and completing almost a full listing of challenges. 

King of the Internet

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngL120ddd.png

Awarded for providing some of the most environmentally non-chaotic, unexpectedly memorable, and extremely enjoyable online experiences I had this year and recently, both community wise and of course gameplay wise.

At the very least I've played 400 full races online across this game (and another popular 2019 kart racer)—this is not an exaggeration—and there is no doubt this game deserves this reward (even with some online bugs), especially for the innovative and unique experiences provided by this team based system, something that hasn't been fleshed out in a kart racer since like Mario Kart: Double Dash. The feats I've pulled off with random people (without vocal communication), from various different countries, was spectacular as hell, especially at high level, which is where this game shines and is at its best.

Shout-out to SEGA for having weekly-biweekly "play with fan sessions" for multiple months after the game's launch. Those were obviously fun, and I took part in a lot of them. With or without them, everything I said above holds authentically true. The mentioning of SEGA is actually an after-thought.

Worse Online Experience

L1bc26a.png

Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled is awarded the worse online experience award, unlike other games with online play, because of some very disgusting and exclusively bad experiences I've had to deal with from launch till present, scenarios like having to worry about and deal with opponents on numerous occasions camping at areas of the stages to bombard me with items and keep doing so to unfairly in a unsportsmanlike way allow friends in their party to have an otherwise impossible advantage (if not trolling, alternatively) over deserving lead racers like me, constant latency issues with item hits (set down and thrown) and player positions, the ridiculously high level of rage-quitting both during races and during lobbies (and during the beginning of the match to exploit currency earnings), that immensely consistent online freeze that happens during lobbies (especially when host disconnects), severe balancing issues with the classes system (Speed dominating all, with majority of the entire CTR community using that class) and items (well, singular the Warp Orb was finally buffed in the area it needed it this month, apparently, though), many retained outdated gameplay designs that work against the implementation of online-play, and unfortunately I can go on if need be. There's just, literally, a lot of fundamental issues, gameplay issues, online issues, and lacking content in the form of actual race-modes/features (i.e., mirror mode, no items, boost-mode, grand prix mode, tournament mode, etc, all things every other major kart racer has had at least two things of), all related to online. Having and playing only one type of race mode online with absolutely no variation or gameplay customization for half a year (June-December = 6mths) is straight bad and repetitive. 

Sleeper Hit of the Year

spacer.pngLbe4ea3.png

Awarded for being the best Sleeper Hit of this year. The reasons this game won is because unlike other games, I had little to no expectations of this game, and I ended up enjoying it thoroughly. There is no other game I played this year that fit the criteria of me I having had less or no expectations of and being a sleeper hit. Yooka-Laylee is a sleeper hit, but I had expectations for it, so like it and similar games, they don't qualify here. 

Biggest Bomb of the Year

L5e6b82.png

The Last Guardian

Awarded for being the biggest disappointment this year due to its technical issues and poor execution with mechanics—nothing else—which are serious enough that I had to drop the game almost immediately. It's not exactly game breaking but moreso extremely inconvenient, if not the former.

Best Trophy Image

24L0f1267.png

(Spyro the Dragon)

Awarded for having the best trophy image I know of, from my limited research and memory. The Spyro The Reignited Trilogy does have gorgeous and detailed trophy images, after all.

Worst Trophy Image

1L2ca342.png

Master Thief

(Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves)

Awarded for being the third replica and repeated image used as the game's platinum in the trilogy, putting it below that of uninspired creations—that are, the ones i'm thinking of, at least unique in terms of image art—and also artwork taken directly from game covers or other in-game media. Reusing a same image multiple times is the lowest level and the laziest.

Best Female Character

tqroV4o.png

Clementine (Sorry Lara Croft..)

(The Walking Dead - The Telltale series)

Mature, independent, reliable, attractive, strong, brave, smart, "badass", resilient, resourceful, morally interesting, distinguishable voice, unique appearance with the (signature and iconic) blue hat... this young woman is the real deal and the complete package. She's not one or two dimensional, boring, useless, a damsel in distress, weak, a pushover, or anything remotely similar. She always gets the job done.

Best Male Character

Image result for Mad Max game Max

Max
(Mad Max)

Awarded for being a complex character with very sympathetic actions. He's not the character some people think and claim he is: the typical badass who enjoys causing trouble and without giving any care. This character doesn't enjoy violence or killing, and unlike Rico Rodriguez (also created by the same developers) who enjoys causing trouble and blowing things up, Max cares and only does the things he does for his survival and to move on. There is no enjoyment with Max when he does any of the violent things he does, including no smirking, chuckling, remarks about wanting more or wanting to willingly do something for the fun of it, etc. He just happens to be badass because of his experience pre-apocalypse. Max just wants his vehicle and to be left alone in peace as he traverses the wasteland.

Avalanche Studio did a fairly great job with their version of Max, physically and mentally, making sure this version of Max fits their version of the Mad Max game they wanted to create. I especially like the haunting of the past element, since this wasn't used in the "Mad Max" movie trilogy.

Best Platinum of the Year

1L6f1b67.png

DUNWALL DAYS AND KARNACA NIGHTS

(Dishonored 2)

*Worst Platinum of the Year

1L451f44.png

The Horned Boy

(Shadow of the Colossus)

Awarded for its combination of having the most non-intuitive and highly repetitive trophy list.

Former: "Defeat any Colossi while in Reminiscent Mode" (game nor manual even remotely tells how to access this), "Defeat a Colossi with a downwards jump stab" (game nor manual tells how to even remotely do this), "perform all stunts with Agro" (game nor manual tells how do a good portion of them), "Pray at All Shrines" (which there's no in-game counter for and has to be done in a single play-through and of course there's no special items to track shrines), "Max out Wanderer's health and stamina" (game nor manual makes it clear, especially to newcomers, how to go about doing this. I digress to preserve text), "Cross the bridge to the Entrance of the Forbidden Lands" (game nor manual does a good job at informing players how to this, especially with the "story path" perma-locked via gameplay means. The outer sides of the center structure with vines that lead to dead ends only made things worse, supporting a delusion that the shrine truly can't be climbed after all).

Latter: Mostly repeats here, "Pray at all Shrines" (this open-world game has no fast traveling system, and the horse Agro is the only means of transportation, making the long journey to all the shrines excessively tedious, especially when you miss any shrine on the opposite side of the map that you otherwise have no business to return to that area for), "Max out Wanderer's health and stamina" (terrible grind that results in both further tedious travels across the world in search of fruit trees & the slippery & difficult to spot lizards and multiple play-throughs of the game), and "Cross the bridge to the Entrance of the Forbidden Lands" (first is the fairly long climb up to bridge, then you're required to run along the tremendously long non-border thing on foot to the end, which according to one guide takes 8 straight minutes... It feels longer in person).

In addition, there's a missed opportunity in providing more colossi specific trophies like the ones attached to C3 (even though it's frustrating to get) and C8, which would have been interesting and more fun for the game and trophy list.

Most Anticipated Platinum of 2020

The platinum trophy from Dying Light 2

Aiden

State: UNFINISHED. Text to be improved and added to more of the award winners.

edits:

• Text added to Worst Platinum of the Year award
  •  Changed Biggest Bomb of the Year award to accurately reflect the "completely fall apart the moment you started playing it" description
  • Best Trophy Image award changed to a similar but better one from the same game
  • Text added to Biggest Bomb of the Year award and Sleeper Hit of the Year award 
  • Badass Award chosen and text added
  • Text added to Best Trophy Image award and Best Male Character award
  • Improved some text.
  • Text added to Worse Online Experience award
Edited by EcoShifter
  • Like 1

Going to be "early" this year instead of late as before. I'm not anticipating playing too many different qualifying games before the year ends, so these will likely remain the final picks:

Piece of Cake Award:

Spoiler

Bear With Me, following themindisacity's wonderful walkthrough. Despite it being an easy platinum, I really liked the story of this game and everyone should finish the "DLC" as well, not just the "main game" (even though those are actually the wrong way around on PS4...) or they're missing out on it.

It's Like Dark Souls:

Spoiler

Nothing really difficult this year either, so I'd probably go with Tales of Zestiria for the platinum length. There were other games with challenging singular trophies, but none really worthy of this award.

Bad Ass Award:

Spoiler

Getting all possible familiars (mutually exclusive ones exist, sadly) in Ni No Kuni Remastered :D Failed this goal on the PS3 version due to the DLC prices being too expensive on eBay.

Grind of the Year:

Spoiler

Quite a few annoying ones this year... Tales of Zestiria's many grinds, Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon BP grinding, way too many LEGO collectibles, flower grind in Bee Sim, Deponia DNA mixing, etc, but I think I'll award it to Scribblenauts Mega Pack's 400 heroic feats since it annoyed me the most due to the repetitiveness and bugginess of the feats.

King of the Internet:

Spoiler

Friday the 13th is *still* the best multiplayer experience generator for me, but I still don't have the plat on that (if I ever will since I play it mostly legit xD), so my vote goes to Man of Medan and Strange Brigade (what a shame Ghostbusters Remastered didn't launch with multiplayer or it could have gotten this spot). Got to play both with Cj, which is just a guaranteed awesome time, but also played with the fantastic themindisacity (Medan) and had 4-player fun with Cj, chernobylninja, and FrozenAntiFreez in SB.

Worst Online Experience:

Spoiler

Ghostbusters Remastered because the multiplayer wasn't included :P Nah, this vote actually goes to Friday the 13th this year because of the few matches I've had with griefers, Jason teamers, or both at once. These people are sadly not capable of actually playing the game well (with exceptions), which is just a really sad truth.

Sleeper Hit of the Year:

Spoiler

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark because I hadn't even heard of it before launch (games like Bee Simulator and Lost Ember were awesome too, but I was aware of them ahead of their launches) and it's a really fun Final Fantasy Tactics/Tactics Ogre-inspired game. Hoping we continue getting more of these types of games (Dark Crystal will be one upcoming one next year). Honorary Mention: Groundhog Day: Like Father Like Son

Biggest Bomb of the Year:

Spoiler

Jumanji could be counted as a pretty awful game (though better with online people), but I wasn't expecting it to be good. Therefore, my vote goes to Vacation Simulator since it's not as fun as Job Simulator was and I was expecting it to be better xD Trophy-wise it has too much that require guides (and it's pretty much just Youtube guides out there which does not mix well with VR playing) and gameplay-wise it has some elements that are a bit too "complicated" especially when VR doesn't read tall people that well in my home setting.

Best Trophy Image:

Spoiler

Worst Trophy Image:

Spoiler

Best Female Character:

Spoiler

Kassandra from AC Odyssey gets to share it this year as well, this time with the bee (I named her Beekka) from Bee Simulator :)

Best Male Character:

Spoiler

Conrad from Man of Medan shares this with Takayuki Yagami from Judgment.

Best Platinum of the Year:

Spoiler

This was again tough, just way too many awesome experiences this year, from Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon to Lego Jurassic World's PS4 stack, but I think I have to overall pick Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy. I really enjoyed the trilogy, its story, characters, and quirkiness.

Wurst Plat ov teh Yeer:

Spoiler

Deponia Doomsday. Screw those jackalopes for bringing the game's story to a standstill.

Most Anticipated Platinum of 2020 & Bonus Question:

Spoiler

Anticipating: Crystal Chronicles, The Dark Crystal, FF7 Remake, Avengers, and Digimon Survive.

Bonus Question: Crystal Chronicles, Digimon Survive, Psychonauts 2, and Skull & Bones didn't even get released, I totally called FF8 getting released, and KH3 wasn't quite as good as it could have been. Chocobo's MD was as good as I thought it would be as was FF8, so in that sense I'm counting that as a win xD However, games I weren't expecting ended up being better plats than these hyped ones.

• Like 4

I am pretty much done with earning plat at this point (I think I will only pop a plat tomorrow for Vita's birthday). So I guess time to post my picks...  Once again, will be skipping the MP related ones. I think I only played one game with MP trophy this year.

PIECE OF CAKE AWARD

1L9b03bb.png

FULL THROTTLE REMASTERED

Wow, I didn't play a Telltale game this year. Anyway, Will have to put Full Throttle for this category this year. Not a bad game though, I had fun from beginning to end.

Runner up is CAT QUEST II and AI: THE SOMNIUM FILES

IT'S LIKE DARK SOULS

16La82f61.png

CHOCOBO'S MYSTERY DUNGEON: EVERY BUDDY!

Every Buddy!
Befriended all monsters and characters.

Not really that difficult but, clearing 500 F number of times in one sitting gave me nervousness and paranoia. 

A runner up is probably the one in my BAD ASS AWARD

BAD ASS AWARD

2Lbfc10a.png

LABYRINTH OF REFRAIN: COVEN OF DUSK

Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk
Congratulations! You have achieved the impossible and
utterly conquered Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk!

Imagine a game where you breeze through the entire story mode, and then Nippon Ichi being a sadistic, required you to clear the Post-game (or True End route) to get the plat, and the only challenge is to defeat the hardest boss battle. After hours of grinding and planning, you barely defeated the boss with only 2 party member surviving. So satisfying. I am pretty sure I did hear a victory fanfare after that moment. 

Runner up is AXIOM VERGE'S Overclocked - I was so nervous before doing it. Another very satisfying gaming moment for me.

GRIND OF THE YEAR

1L131987.png

DUNGEON TRAVELERS 2

2 words(?) - 20,000 KILLS. Not that bad since I pretty much spent my days binge watching some series while doing it (Thanks Netflix). 

Unhonorable Mentions:

• THE ALLIANCE ALIVE HD REMASTERED - the money and battle grind is not that bad tbh, that RNG based ones are not that fun ride.
  • GRAND KINGDOM - again, not bad grind but the RNG for getting the skills needed made me spent hours of repetitiveness.
  • LABYRINTH OF REFRAIN: COVEN OF DUSK - as said above, even there is not really a trophy related in grinding, the post game require you to grind just to clear it.

SLEEPER HIT OF THE YEAR

L0f9bc5.png

THE ALLIANCE ALIVE HD REMASTERED

Probably I am biased on this one since I love Suikoden :P

Runner up is LABYRINTH OF REFRAIN: COVEN OF DUSK - I have said it in MRP before but I will say it again. Probably the best Dungeon Crawler game I've played to date.

BIGGEST BOMB OF THS YEAR

spacer.pngL0635fb.png

SUPER NEPTUNIA RPG

I still love NepNep games but I really don't like this game(Producing Perfection is still the worst IMO though). It became repetitive fast. I was basically using the same moves over and over again 75% of the time. The new characters are forgettable too, at this time, I already forgotten the name of the new characters.

Dishonorable Mention - AEREA and OPERATION ABYSS: NEW TOKYO LEGACY

BEST PLAT TROPHY IMAGE

1Le0d290.png

CHIBI CHOCOBO!!! 

Runner ups:

1Ldcdb6e.png1Leccc5d.png1L0b1f58.png

1Ldaf7e2.pngWHAT? I LOVE BBS XD1L3a4490.png

WORST TROPHY IMAGE

1L62339e.png

YOMAWARI: NIGHT ALONE

Not that bad bad, it is more like - disappointing since the trophy images of the game except from the plat image looks good.

Runner ups:

1L21f444.png (240×240)1L2083de.png

Same with my Yomawari, not bad but I am really disappointed because P4D's plat image looks awesome. why can't they have Makoto and Ren silhouettes posing and facing left and right respectively.

BEST MALE CHARACTER

Robbins large

Robbins - Alliance Alive

Sure, he is just an optional character, but definitely the most funny character in the game and even he has very limited options, one of the best character to use as party member. Flippers FTW.

CT Chocobo

"Kweh! Kweh!"

Chocobo - Chocobo Series

KWEH! KWEH! That's all.

BEST FEMALE CHARACTER

LoRCoD Luca

"Here I am, Madam Dronya! You called for me?"

Luca - LABYRINTH OF REFRAIN: COVEN OF DUSK

The moment I saw her interaction with Dronya, I know at that point already that I will love her.

BEST PLAT OF THE YEAR

1Le0d290.png

CHOCOBO'S MYSTERY DUNGEON: EVERY BUDDY!

I love Chocobo Dungeon 2 and Chocobo Racing and when Chocobo Racing for 3DS was cancelled, it broke my heart. But I have waited for years patiently, and it finally happened. And it didn't disappoint. The appearance of Chocobo PS1 Shiroma in the game is one of my favorite gaming moment this year! Definitely not for everyone but for me, one of the best game I've played.

Runner Ups:

AI: THE SOMNIUM FILES - #BasedUchi-sama!!!! Not as great as Zero Escape or even Punchline but still, worth the wait. Plus, Clover is no longer alone with the character I hate the most. I hate Iris with or without the twist.

TALES OF VESPERIA: DEFINITIVE EDITION - it is still a mystery for me why the PS3 was not localized, it is a great Tales of game.

LABYRINTH OF REFRAIN: COVEN OF DUSK 

WURST PLAT OV TEH YEAR

1Le19f61.png

OPERATION ABYSS: NEW TOKYO LEGACY

BLERGH! BLERGH! BLERGH! Months later, I still dislike this game. STAY. AWAY.

MOST ANTICIPATED PLATINUM OF 2020

Digimon Survive

The Wolf Among Us 2

Persona 5 Royal

Persona 5 Scramble

Final Fantasy VII Remake ?

Funny, looking back at my 2018 list, I only got 2 out of 6 plats in my Most Anticipated Plat.

Overall, I felt like I played less PSN game this year, probably because I did in purpose to have AI as my 300th plat, and after getting the plat, I got used to playing PSN game less. For a past month, I feel like my trophy hunting blood is starting to flow again... hopefully.

Edited by JaM
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think I will platinum anything else this year. Not too bad as I went from 2 platinums to 32 in the month of December :P and one of those original platinums was Secret of Mana which I would have had platinumed last year but ran out of time over the holidays.

Anyways let me get to my awards.

xYkGfKI.png

Well I played a few easy games this year (Madagascar 3, Amnesia: Memories) but I have to give it to Batman: The Enemy Within. As always the "easy' plat should not require a guide to platinum and as with most Tell Tale games Batman was just "play through the game and get the plat". On top of that unlike the first Batman game this one was actually good :)

gl2oT0D.png

Didn't play anything Uber-Hard this year so I will give it to Axiom Verge. It had some very challenging moments (time trial, hard mode, no deaths etc) and like Dark Souls (or at least what I hear) it was also a blast to play so the difficulty was part of an enjoyable game.

bs6ooqn.png

There can only be one thing I did this year that truly defines Bad Ass. Yes I have posted this in 4 different threads (and one status update), yes I mentioned this like 200 times throughout the year, yes I will keep being proud of it. 

ALPHA PLAT RAIN

DECEMBER 16, 2019

1Ld9ebc2.png1L58bbbd.png1L4d5bab.png1L8dc02d.png1L1e2f1d.png1L4a8306.png 1La1bc76.png1L89cd1a.png1L2f4b09.png1L5f4227.png1L773d3c.png1Lb9cb92.png1La2014d.png1L5037fc.png1Labb8b4.png1L0f161b.png1L189cc7.png1Ld9bf75.png1L367a8d.png1Lf863b8.png 1Lb8278e.png1Lca7734.png1L7b3d36.png1L82e0c2.png1L6c955a.png1L545d29.png

#250 - Axiom Verge

#251 - Beyond: Two Souls

#252 - Claire

#253 - Detroit: Become Human

#254 - Earthlock

#255 - Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age

#256 - God of War 3 Remastered

#257 - Heavy Rain

#258 - Indigo Prophecy

#259 - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of Heaven

#260 - Kingdom Hearts 3

#261 - Life is Strange: Before the Storm

#262 - Marvel's Spider-Man

#263 - New Little King Story

#264 - One Piece Pirate Warrior 2

#265 - Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

#266 - Quest of Dungeons

#267 - Rime

#268 - South Park: Fractured But Whole

#269 - Tearaway Unfolded

#270 - Undertale

#271 - Valkyria Chronicles

#272 - World of Final Fantasy

#273 - Xing: The Land Beyond

#274 - Yonder: The Cloud Catcher's Chronicle

#275 - Zero Escape: The Nonary Games

ZFFpcSC.png

I was convinced I was going to give this to Secret of Mana but that game is amazing so I can't complain about the grind.

No Quest of Dungeons is the game that gets this award. Seriously having to run through dungeons over and over and over to collect gold off the ground well after you finish everything in the game is just stupid. There is also no real way tracking how much you have collected as it keeps track of total gold not collected gold.

The worst part is the developer put this trophy in AFTER the Steam release to add "replay" value to his game. FUCK THAT NOISE.

9Qcj0Sn.png

Didn't really play a lot of online games...so I don't feel like I can give a good answer on this. I will say if Secret of Mana actually included online components I would give it to that game...but it didn't so nothing gets this award :(

cBvB66k.png

As before I didn't really play a lot of online games but One Piece: Pirate Warrior 2 gets my vote as anyone still playing that online had no desire to go for S Ranks and instead just wanted to beat the levels as fast as possible. So it just made S Ranking impossible if you played online.

1sBtckq.png

I was going to give this to Axiom Verge but that game is known by quite a few people so instead I am going to give this to Earthlock. A lot of people have heard me talk about this game this year and once again I encourage anyone that likes old school JRPGs to check it out.

cRmi7oS.png

OK...Flame Shields up...I give this award to Undertale. I am sorry...what were people talking about when they proclaimed this game as saviour of all gaming...one of the greatest stories ever told...a master piece of gaming.

Maybe it was just overhyped but I nothinged this game. Yes, I didn't hate it...I didn't like it...I just nothinged it. I don't know...just wasn't for me.

u5CcmMD.png

I earned a couple of cool looking plat images but Valkyria Chronicles wins out. That is just a cool looking plat and I am glad I got to obtain it (also the game is awesome as well)

1Lca7734.png

He3pFwi.png

And this a much less regal looking plat image. New Little King Story. Bleh, this is just a boring mess of a plat image.

1L5037fc.png

1mfQCVV.png

Alicia Melchiott - Valkyria Chronicles

546664-vb02.jpg

Anyone who has played this game knows how badass Alicia is once you know how to use her. I got so many levels done by sending her with orders and clearing out the entire enemy base. She is a badass with a rifle and deserves this spot :D

z8JZgsh.png

Balthier - Final Fantasy 12

Balthier.png

The second Balthier stepped on screen I developed my man-crush on him ^_^ He is just a smooth talking sonofagun and was my favourite part of FF12 and one of my favourite FF characters of all time.

gnHxJFF.png

1La2014d.png

Marvel's Spider-Man.

I just had a blast with this game from start to finish. I wrote in my recent plat thread about it that it is a near perfect game and any problem I had with it was so small that it never diminished my enjoyment of the game. A game that helped remind me that gaming is supposed to be about having fun :)

REO5sp8.png

1L2f4b09.png

I was considering giving this to Quest of Dungeons but in the end Indigo Prophecy  wins the honour.

I actually liked this game but Hard mode was pure bullshit and so many trophies glitched on me that it was a frustrating mess. It is a shame as it had its good points but as a Platinum game it was very lacking.

AND FINALLY

NbndgSB.png

Well I voted for Spider-Man last year and it was my Plat of the year :)

So for next year I am going to say Wattam as I have been waiting to play that game for years now :D

• Like 3

I think I am done with earning platinums this year. I started in June of this year and got 19 and nearing in on number 20. Thanks for hosting this great awards! 

Piece of Cake Award

L648c20.png

Spyro The Dragon - I don't play easy games very often. Spyro was the easyiest I could find. Enjoyable from start to end and it only took 10ish hours. 

IT'S LIKE DARK SOULS

L57216c.png

Bloodborne - I could also have picked DS remastered but I even prefer Bloodborne over the original remaster. Bloodborne is an amazing game from beginning to end, the atmosphere, the more focus on agressive gameplay. Orphan of Kos was quite the struggle, the final boss of the DLC is no joke. All in all one of my favourite games of this generation.

BAD ASS AWARD

L15b95e.png

Rocksmith 2014 - My first platinum to start the journey. As a lover of guitar I had to plat this. I play guitar daily still it is one of my big hobbies next to gaming. When you are rocking out you are feeling pretty bad ass. I think this award is pretty suiting. 

Grind of the Year

Ldaa4fc.png

Rayman Legends - The long grind for sure. It is one of my favourite games, one of the best 2d platformers ever made if I say so. I hope the next Rayman returns to 3d as that were my favourite games but this game is still fantastic. Most trophies are pretty easy and are just for collecting all teensies and completing all levels. However getting to the final level of awesomeness took quite a while. I tried to obtain diamond trophies on most days, it took a total of  1 month and 1 week for me.

KING OF THE INTERNET

Lfd4cf0.png

The Last of Us Remastered - Such a fantastic game. The online portion was my least favourite, but I still had a great time because I was playing with a friend. Overall the more tactical approach to the multiplayer was a welcome change. 

WORST ONLINE EXPERIENCE

L1bc26a.png

Crash Team Racing Nitro Fueled - A fantastic remake that was very enjoyable. The online function not so much. Often I disconnected and it took minutes before I even found a match. It was a terrible experience. I am not sure how the online function is nowadays as I have not touched the game in months. 

SLEEPER HIT OF THE YEAR

L5c4181.png

Oddworld New 'n' Tasty -  I have not played many lesser unknown titles. New 'n' Tasty was the more unknown title that was very enjoyable to me. Abe looking better than ever compared to the PS1 version. I am looking forward to the new game I hope it is just as good as this one.

BIGGEST BOMB OF THE YEAR

L6b024a.png

Mortal Kombat 11 - Gladly I experience mostly great games and tend to enjoy the ones I play. Mortal Kombat 11 was not the worst but certaintly not the best experience. I rated it a 6 out of 10. The grind is just 90% of the trophies which just killed it for me. I also did not enjoy fighters as it is a genre I rarely play and will probably not play much more (if at all) in the future.

BEST TROPHY IMAGE 

1L891f42.png

Spyro The Dragon - An easy category for me. Just look at Spyro! How adorable. 

WORST TROPHY IMAGE

1Lcef974.png

A hat in Time - A pretty bad platinum trophy if you ask me. Just a bunch of symbols, pretty weird.

BEST FEMALE CHARACTER

a1352be3b1.jpg

Claire Redfield - Such a badass girl with great looks.

BEST MALE CHARACTER

6c4a69a62d.jpg

Kratos - A very well voiced character and such a badass. His relationship with his son is very emotional.

BEST PLAT OF THE YEAR

1L51af80.png

Resident Evil 2 - What an amazing remake. I never played the original so I have no nostalgia but man this game did not disappoint! The atmosphere in this game is absolutely fantastic. The game looks phenomenal. I really have respect for Capcom which have been treating us with so many great games as of late. Only very recently they won a golden joystick which I am not surprised by at all. Overall I really liked all the playthroughs even the 6th playthrough was enjoyable for me, which is usually rare for a game. Overall the trophy list was a great mix of enjoyable and challenge. I went for a S+ Playthrough for Hardcore, even though you only need to complete hardcore for a trophy I had the urge to unlock some of the unlockable weapons and some extra challenge added in. I won't say a whole lot about the story as I don't want to spoil it but I like how it all comes together. The different scenarios give more insight in the characters which makes it fun to replay the game. 

The DLC is a nice free addition to add some content. The DLC is fairly short. For me the DLC was not as enjoyable as the main game but still fun to complete the different scenarios. Hell of Sherrif might be the thoughest trophy in the game. I read that quite a few people were struggling so I did some research and created a guideline for myself how to tackle the challenge. To my surprise it went really well and I completed it on my first attempt. I was cutting it quite close with only 2 Spark shot ammo left but hey the result is what matters right? 

WORST PLAT OF THE YEAR

1L80fe2a.png

Mortal Kombat 11 - I found the story pretty forgettable, altough expected as story is not the reason for the majority to play fighting games. The different game modes is a plus for me, the different towers with challenges, different type of multiplayer modes and finally the crypt. Oh and lets talk about the tutorial for me no doubt the hardest trophy in the game. Overall the majority of the tutorials were fine. However one of them took me about 2 hours of spamming buttons, I felt like a starcraft player during this part... it was not the most pleasant experience. 

The combat and animations were really nicely done. The Kasual matches were pretty enjoyable for me altough I am a pretty terrible player. However ultimately the game was not as great as I hoped. Some grindy trophies for unlocking the victories and character intros. Combine this with the lackluster story it came to an average game for me.

MOST ANTICIPATED PLAT 2020

L740f82.png

Monster Hunter World/Iceborne - Having completed the regular game on PC already I might be insane to try to obtain all the crowns again on the PS4 version but my love for this game is huge. I have been a big fan of the Monster Hunter Franchise and now with some classic monsters returning it gives me all the nostalgia of playing these games back in the day. It sucks that the crowns are so heavily RNG and it will probably will be a love/hate relationship with this game. 

• Like 3

@ZoutjeNL thanks for posting :)

I LOVED M\K9 and was so excited for MKX...only to be disappointed. I honestly didn't even know a MK11 came out til well after it was released. MKX left such a bad taste in my mouth I didn't even bother with it.  The same thing happened with Just Cause 2 to 3 to me not wanting to even touch 4 :(

• Like 1