trophy thoughts?

Burgins

42 minutes ago, locutus442 said:

The reason I think it will require multiple playthroughs to get it was the character voice trophies.  This will most likely require recruiting said character and not all characters can be recruited in one playthrough, hence needing multiple playthroughs.

Yes, it seems you cannot get all characters in one playthrough since many of them will not be recruitable if you have another character recruited

A remaster of the first Star Ocean? I can totally get behind this! :D I heard one of the games on PS3 has one of the most miserable platinum journeys imaginable. Hopefully none of that seeps it’s way to this one ? Wish there was physical copy of this, but what can you do?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ShonenCat said:

A remaster of the first Star Ocean? I can totally get behind this! :D I heard one of the games on PS3 has one of the most miserable platinum journeys imaginable. Hopefully none of that seeps it’s way to this one 1f605.png Wish there was physical copy of this, but what can you do?

There were no BTs in SO 1 and 2. The BT (Battle Trophy) system itself is imo great fun, basically a sort of mini-reward after battles that can unlock certain bonuses, but there's so many that getting 100% is not realistic.

• Like 2

I played that game years ago on the psp, but I barely remember it. Only thing I know is that it is short but pretty fun. I am going to buy it again. 

Not sure about missable trophies. It might be doable in one playthrough with some backup saves, but 2 or maybe 3 playthroughs are more likely. 

Too bad that there is no new game + feature.

I played this a while back on a PSP emulator. I wasn't sure if I was ever "doing it right" as I was trying to play it like Tales and Kingdom Hearts, except I observed neither defensive maneuvers nor discernible combos. I felt like I wasn't really in control as mobile enemies are chased and jumped after automatically. So I literally button mashed as Roddick until the final boss killed me with a screen nuke. Only then did I start looking at the symbology menus.

BTW...those befriending trophies. If that's the only holdup against a single play-through platinum, and you're not too attached to the early game prospects, I suppose you could save before accepting each friend, pop the trophy, then reload and continue without them. I only played it once though, so I may have an oversight if it turns out certain friends require a previous recruit's presence to be possible. I mean I took the first couple friends without thinking and missed the rest ?. I'm surprised there's no battle trophy update. Don't rock the boat I guess?

Despite all I felt was missing, I owe much to this game. The OP theme (HEART by Asunaro) is bar none my favorite song of all time, which is saying something as it was previously Mamoritai ~White Wishes~ in Tales of Graces. So much my favorite in fact, that I made an English dub I am very proud of (also in Spanish). All thanks to the sole convincing translation on youtube.

Edited by EqualityEarth
Added Spanish dub link
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, EqualityEarth said:

I played this a while back on a PSP emulator. I wasn't sure if I was ever "doing it right" as I was trying to play it like Tales and Kingdom Hearts, except I observed neither defensive maneuvers nor discernible combos. I felt like I wasn't really in control as mobile enemies are chased and jumped after automatically. So I literally button mashed as Roddick until the final boss killed me with a screen nuke. Only then did I start looking at the symbology menus.

BTW...those befriending trophies. If that's the only holdup against a single play-through platinum, and you're not too attached to the early game prospects, I suppose you could save before accepting each friend, pop the trophy, then reload and continue without them. I only played it once though, so I may have an oversight if it turns out certain friends require a previous recruit's presence to be possible. I mean I took the first couple friends without thinking and missed the rest 1f62d.png. I'm surprised there's no battle trophy update. Don't rock the boat I guess?

Despite all I felt was missing, I owe much to this game. The OP theme (HEART by Asunaro) is bar none my favorite song of all time, which is saying something as it was previously Mamoritai ~White Wishes~ in Tales of Graces. So much my favorite in fact, that I made an English dub I am very proud of. All thanks to the sole convincing translation on youtube.

The opening theme on PSP is absolutely amazing, I wonder if they'll change it in the remaster?

Also theres like one or two party members you can lose forever if you recruit specific people I'm pretty sure. And I know someone doesnt like if you have Cyuss recruited, which is super early on in the game. Cant remember who it is though 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mecharobot said:

There were no BTs in SO 1 and 2. The BT (Battle Trophy) system itself is imo great fun, basically a sort of mini-reward after battles that can unlock certain bonuses, but there's so many that getting 100% is not realistic.

So there are no Battle Trophies in this game? That's ashame, I like getting them. I actually got the Platinum and all 900 Battle Trophies, for The Last Hope Remastered, for the PS4.

The question still hasn't been answered, from people who played the game before, with the Trophies released, any missables besides character recruiting?

I looked through some old walktroughs on gamefaqs and I think the trophies for getting all character voices and movies are missable. You cannot just recruit a character, get the trophy and reload. You have to actually beat the game with every character to unlock the voices in the gallery. Therefore 3 playtroughs might be needed. Have a look at this recruitment flowchart:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/psp/939439-star-ocean-first-departure/map/7467-character-recruitment-flowchart

EDIT: "The adventure continues" is also missable. You need to trigger the correct PAs for Ronxy and Millia to end up together.

Edited by Ranari_Kai
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, mecharobot said:

The voice gallery on star ocean 2 was in some ways a precursor to the battle trophies. Some of the voice clips could take numerous hours to get the character to say the alternate line to the move you're doing

11 hours ago, locutus442 said:

The reason I think it will require multiple playthroughs to get it was the character voice trophies.  This will most likely require recruiting said character and not all characters can be recruited in one playthrough, hence needing multiple playthroughs.

So, I haven't played this, but in Star Ocean 2, you actually needed to unlock voice clips themselves. However, the trophy here seems to say you need only unlock the character in the voice clip menu, and says nothing about getting all of the voices themselves.

So, when does that character unlock? Because if you can do it immediately after recruiting, you could probably exploit save files to unlock characters without replaying the whole venture.

Anyway, while I miss BTs in the game, I don't miss the BT trophies. I'll definitely play this (just look at my current trophy cabinet!).