Just got my Platinum. Should you?

Roden124

5 hours ago, Teh_Paralyzer said:

What exploit? Can't find anything online 

For the Yuan trophies, right? Here's how to exploit the joy of reading:

Get to Niawou

1. Go to Western bookstore. Buy a copy of Three Kingdoms.

2. Go to Vendor Ave. and look for the little bookstand with a red banner. Buy Historical Records, Later Han Dynasty and History of Jin.

3. Go to the pawnshop near this bookstand, near the entrance to Vendor Ave.

4. Exchange these four books for a move scroll.

5. Now sell it to the same pawnshop guy for 120 yuan.

I saw this on the GameFAQS board but apparently Shenmue Dojo is the source.
The Members Only area of that forum has info you can't see if you're not registered, so it's worth checking out if you're gunning for this plat!

Edited by Shuriken_Shiguru
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, aZombieDictator said:

I'm definitely not going for the Platinum. They went overkill with the trophy list. I'm still in Bailu after like 10+ hours even. 

Just finishing the story is an accomplishment in itself.

That fishing trophy is just absolute nonsense.

I don't know who this trophy list is for.

I'm trying to imagine the casual, honest Shenmue player who would end up completing this game.

Boy howdy, this here Shenmue III --- the only videogame I own, and care to own --- is a real delight. I could beat it 10 times, in fact I will!
I'll collect all them collectibles, play all them games, and talk to everybody everywhere all the time.
Woops, failed that sidequest, I'll make sure to please 'em right next go-around.
I'm such a high roller I gamble for the sport of it! I got 500,000 tokens, just sittin' in my inventory to show my friends I don't do it for the money. 
I am a wealthy man, I have 10,000 Chinese dollars in my wallet to purchase garlic whenever such a need arises, which is most often.
Boy howdy I sure love fishin'. I fish every day. After a hard night at the coal mines, I sit down, loosen my tie, and catch a few of them digital fish.

The way I've played the Shenmue games goes against their spirit, I get that.
I feel like you're not supposed to use guides or "complete" Shenmue.
If I hadn't platinumed the collection, I wouldn't have attempted this either.

I happen to like the combat system, so I would have preferred beating the game on Nightmare Mode over most of these trophies.
If anything, that follows the spirit of Shenmue, because you'd be forced to struggle like Ryo does and it wouldn't look stupid when
gameplay/story segregation demands Ryo get winded by a boss you beat without getting hit.

I think Shenmue IV will get made. This game's had too many controversial shenanigans for that not to be the plan, plus there's Easter Eggs.
Shenmue IV needs to be modern. I understand Shenmue III was supposed to come out in 2004, and this is a remaster to a game that never existed.
However, as much as I appreciate this series for what it is, I don't even know how to recommend this game to anyone. It's like advertising a sex island.
There simply isn't enough tide for Shenmue V, so Shenmue IV must be groundbreaking again, or be the end of the franchise.

• Like 2

Is anyone actually working on a guide? I've been literally checking everyday and its been hella tiring. I've paused playing the game just so I don't have to do a load of multiple playthroughs and save myself as much time as possible (I have a very limited playtime so would like to get it done and dusted). 

Also, without putting into consideration the fact you got it without a guide, how long would you say this platinum could take? 60-80hrs with a guide?

2 hours ago, Shuriken_Shiguru said:

I don't know who this trophy list is for.

I'm trying to imagine the casual, honest Shenmue player who would end up completing this game.

Boy howdy, this here Shenmue III --- the only videogame I own, and care to own --- is a real delight. I could beat it 10 times, in fact I will!
I'll collect all them collectibles, play all them games, and talk to everybody everywhere all the time.
Woops, failed that sidequest, I'll make sure to please 'em right next go-around.
I'm such a high roller I gamble for the sport of it! I got 500,000 tokens, just sittin' in my inventory to show my friends I don't do it for the money. 
I am a wealthy man, I have 10,000 Chinese dollars in my wallet to purchase garlic whenever such a need arises, which is most often.
Boy howdy I sure love fishin'. I fish every day. After a hard night at the coal mines, I sit down, loosen my tie, and catch a few of them digital fish.

The way I've played the Shenmue games goes against their spirit, I get that.
I feel like you're not supposed to use guides or "complete" Shenmue.
If I hadn't platinumed the collection, I wouldn't have attempted this either.

I happen to like the combat system, so I would have preferred beating the game on Nightmare Mode over most of these trophies.
If anything, that follows the spirit of Shenmue, because you'd be forced to struggle like Ryo does and it wouldn't look stupid when
gameplay/story segregation demands Ryo get winded by a boss you beat without getting hit.

I think Shenmue IV will get made. This game's had too many controversial shenanigans for that not to be the plan, plus there's Easter Eggs.
Shenmue IV needs to be modern. I understand Shenmue III was supposed to come out in 2004, and this is a remaster to a game that never existed.
However, as much as I appreciate this series for what it is, I don't even know how to recommend this game to anyone. It's like advertising a sex island.
There simply isn't enough tide for Shenmue V, so Shenmue IV must be groundbreaking again, or be the end of the franchise.

Basically. I understand playing to completion, getting all capsule toys, sidequests, and moves. But all that extra grindy shit that's just for trophies is stupid and how there's so much missable stuff on top of that. It's probably one of the most asinine trophy lists released in while.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Remstahh said:

Is anyone actually working on a guide? I've been literally checking everyday and its been hella tiring. I've paused playing the game just so I don't have to do a load of multiple playthroughs and save myself as much time as possible (I have a very limited playtime so would like to get it done and dusted). 

Also, without putting into consideration the fact you got it without a guide, how long would you say this platinum could take? 60-80hrs with a guide?

Yeah, you'll want to keep this one to as minimum playthroughs as possible!
Even if you're still in Bailu, you're probably in for two runs now. There's a high chance you missed something.

I've done about five playthoughs with reasonable guidance and blind mistakes.
I can't tell you the specific amount of hours I put in, but know I had been going to bed at 10 AM for the last week because of my obsession.
Your estimate seems right on the money, though I spent many hours herb-hunting! The last 1% of herbs are 99% of the herb trophies.

What you really want to wait for is the ultimate herb guide. Information on everything else is divided but available.
Thankfully, collected herbs are permanent, though there are a few that respawn to tease you with false hope.

The act of doing these trophies isn't so bad in itself...it's waiting to do them.

In the time it takes to rush a chapter, you could platinum full games. Short games, of course, but entire experiences nonetheless.

For example, the last capsule machine in the final area feels like a prank.
If you didn't collect every capsule from that machine, you have to reach the endgame again to get back to it.
At least the game lets you skip Bailu on New Game+, but it's still a long journey to the end.

There is a perfect Bailu guide on YouTube sans herbs, and this very forum has a good Niaowu guide in the Trophy Help thread, also sans herbs.
Unlike the Bailu YouTube video, it doesn't tell you exactly when these sidequests take place, but they're in order, which is good enough.
If a sidequest doesn't pop up, try again during the next story beat, and by Jove save before you do it!

If this were like an open-world where you can clean up on one save, this would be an acceptable list.
Catching 1,000 fish would still be too much, but that's one you can do over time.
However, the missables break the Platinum. The first Platinum achievers are the real OGs.
Shenmue isn't really telling you to take it slow to appreciate the lifelike pace, it says it to mask bad game design.

If you want to know how I stayed sane, my TV and computer share the same space. I was multitasking the whole way through.
I obviously loved the game enough to stick with it! But developers must understand how trophies should be used not to pad, but enhance.

4 hours ago, TwiceOnSundays said:

What's the sweet point on lucky hit for the 500,000 tokens one about?

I'm getting a bit bored of using the colour fortune teller then playing that wind game for them so any tip to speed it up would be appreciated. 

Once you get to Niaowu do the Yuan exploit and buy the tokens with Yuan.

12 hours ago, TwiceOnSundays said:

What's the sweet point on lucky hit for the 500,000 tokens one about?

I'm getting a bit bored of using the colour fortune teller then playing that wind game for them so any tip to speed it up would be appreciated. 

The short answer is to do what LongLiveTheGamer said, but if you're keen on gambling, I used this video and found a micro-position from there.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/Shenmue/comments/e008ad/i_think_i_found_the_sweet_spot_for_winning_lucky/

It didn't work 100% of the time but it worked consistently enough to get the trophy in an hour or so. However, when I went back to this method after getting the trophy, none of the shots landed.

Luck is still a requirement, but I vastly preferred doing this over the fortune trick.

Edited by Shuriken_Shiguru

On 05/12/2019 at 11:42 AM, Remstahh said:

I'm kind of the same, loved playing the game for about the first 5 hours, then read online at how many missables and how grindy the game is, then I got busy at work and now I'm sort of waiting, like yourself I would rather get everything in one playthrough where possible, especially with the DLC coming out at some point, how is that even going to work? I am guessing you have to be at a certain part in the game (such as Bloodborne) for it to access and that you can't just start the DLC from the mainmenu.

I still think it's weird that DLC quests are in a game like this anyway, seems like unnecessarily cut out main game content. However after reading the trophy list, they all look kinda grindy and boring as well.

Once a complete guide comes out, this will be an easy Platinum!

Slow, but this is Shenmue. It's even in the name --- Slowmue. "Shen" means slow, and "mue" means gullible because Ryo is a gullible guy. 

Aside from the fish, this will purely be an instructional affair. The Platinum challenges your patience, not your skills.

If you know where to go and when to do it, how to fight a little, scam the working class make money, and fish a lot, the Platinum is yours.

My hunch is that the DLC is standalone. I'm looking forward to them because their trophies seem chill compared to the main game.
We shall see...

My advice is to play naturally, but fish now to fish less later. Count your fish, make a hobby of it.
The "secret" pond in Bailu is grind central, and there's a similar area in Niaowu as well.

Enjoy Shenmue III for what is. Then, check YouTube to see if it has any of dem herb tours uploaded yet.
When they does, well, I reckon y'all put that them there Shenmue disc back in yer VCR ya GODDARN chicken nuggets.

On 12/4/2019 at 3:00 PM, Shuriken_Shiguru said:

For the Yuan trophies, right? Here's how to exploit the joy of reading:

I saw this on the GameFAQS board but apparently Shenmue Dojo is the source.
The Members Only area of that forum has info you can't see if you're not registered, so it's worth checking out if you're gunning for this plat!

Amazing! Thank you 

This game needs a 100% walkthrough like nobody's business. I would vote that guide for every years awards. I'm too afraid to start this game in fear of 7 playthroughs due to missing collectibles. I love Shenmue but this game makes me terrified as a trophy hunter

• Like 1

6 hours ago, YoungUnited said:

Just a quick question. I started to play last night after finish 1 and 2 HD again. I'm taking my time with it and this morning I sold a few herbs I collected to get some money. Am I screwed or should I keep going?

You're totally fine! You only need to pluck the herbs. Fortunately for you, someone on this forum found a herb video for Bailu!!!
https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/81733-trophy-help/?do=findComment&comment=1957664

When I was playing, I spent sleepless nights over these herbs. It was a nightmare...one that I was forced to have twice, thanks to Niaowu.
It was a peaceful experience though, when the camera wasn't making me dizzy at 8 AM because I was sure the next herb would be the last.
This was during the only time in recent memory when I could afford to no-life something so hard.

There's also a sidequest guide for Bailu. Keep up with your sidequests, hear? Otherwise Santa will make you eat coal for Christmas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY_5AynXVqM

You must do these in order. A few will be available at the same time, but most of them will be gone when you reach the end of Bailu!
Don't let the game trick you. It'll warn you before leaving, but its only purpose is to jape slackers.
You get the chance to finish only a fraction of the 10 sidequests. If you missed Capsule Kid, you may as well start over.
If you care about getting the Platinum in one go, you might want to have a save for each story beat, just to be extra extra extra safe.

This game needs a 100% walkthrough like nobody's business. I would vote that guide for every years awards. I'm too afraid to start this game in fear of 7 playthroughs due to missing collectibles. I love Shenmue but this game makes me terrified as a trophy hunter

I will say I appreciated Shenmue I & II more when I had ancient guides holding my hands.
While that may be against the spirit of the games, there's only so much indulgence the average person can be expected to take.

Ergo, why guides for the Shenmue series are good because you can (and will) watch entire movies in the time it takes to push through filler.
At least there's no equivalent to Shenmue I's actual forklift job in this game, that would have been way too much!

• 2 years later...

Should you Platinum this game? Hell no!

All I'm missing is the herbs for the Plat and I do not have the will power to do it.  I hate collectables ffs...

What I recommend is having separate save files for tackling different Trophies that don't have to be all done in the same playthrough or save file.

Have Bailu with like 9 subquests done with #10 left - while at the point of no return, don't go yet, just make a duplicate save and store it somewhere, then travel and just enjoy different parts of the game for fun, knocking out whatever miscellaneous Trophies you can, knowing you have that backup Bailu save - and just repeat by never losing that original save.

And for money exploit on the latest patch - just use the Buddha shop glitch to sell statues for the move scroll and sell it for profit over and over. 

Edited by J-S_93

You're on the 'unt for 'erbs, eh? Good luck! ?

All great advice. The herb hunt is the true final boss of this game.
3 years later and my experience is still memorable. It certainly helps the nostalgia wave that I got the Platinum for Death Stranding in the same month...
If you're able, now is a good time to put on a few movies or even the Shenmue anime from this year.
I distinctly remember watching Surf's Up and The Irishman. (I have...eclectic tastes.)

This is why Shenmue 3 didn't come out until babies from the first era became adults.
The game was already complete but playtesters were finding herbs. They are extinct now. We walk in their footsteps.

Think of it this way, this quest will tide you over until Shenmue rises again. ?

Edited by Roden124
No edit, let this epitaph serve as a warning to those who dare to 100% the Shenmue videogames! You will pick the flowers they shall plant on your grave! WoooOOOoooOOOooo!!!
  • Like 1

It's funny, I watched the anime whilst going for the last few Trophies of Shenmue 3, like a week or 2 back - I enjoyed it; sucks that it's already cancelled but Shenmue has been cursed since the beginning, just gotta enjoy what we have of it.

Still not ready to get the rest of the herbs; collected around 62 but there's like 400 ffs... T_T

Such a Platinum killer.  I even have all the DLC completed too.  Just the herbs needed for the Plat and 100% completion.

Edited by J-S_93
  • Like 1

On 10/22/2022 at 10:41 AM, J-S_93 said:

Should you Platinum this game? Hell no!

All I'm missing is the herbs for the Plat and I do not have the will power to do it.  I hate collectables ffs...

What I recommend is having separate save files for tackling different Trophies that don't have to be all done in the same playthrough or save file.

Have Bailu with like 9 subquests done with #10 left - while at the point of no return, don't go yet, just make a duplicate save and store it somewhere, then travel and just enjoy different parts of the game for fun, knocking out whatever miscellaneous Trophies you can, knowing you have that backup Bailu save - and just repeat by never losing that original save.

And for money exploit on the latest patch - just use the Buddha shop glitch to sell statues for the move scroll and sell it for profit over and over. 

All I can remember about the game is walking slowly down corridors, and not wanting to eat any food as it wasted money, and walking around on no stamina and consulting a guide on gamefaqs trying to find herbs, mashing the button as if I'm trying to search a desk on the original Resident Evil.

Forgot about the platinum, as an avid Kickstarter backer, I'd highly recommend trying to pretend this game didn't exist and not even starting it.

Just watch the story cutscenes on youtube, (will probably take you about 10 minutes to learn about everything that happened in Shenmue III)

• Like 1

• 6 months later...