Best modifications for each weapon?

Chocolat_GiddyUp

Started this game recently, loving it so far.

What are the best type of modifications for each weapon?

So far the only weapon I figured out is the Ropecaster. Stacking as much Handling on it makes you shoot ropes faster to tie down a machine

Should a fire bow stack more fire damage or raw damage or a combination of both? Does the %fire coil modification increase how much damage your fire arrow does on impact or just the burning damage over of time or both?

What about the other weapons? (The sniper bow with the arrow that removes components, Shock Bow, Sling, Tripwires, etc)

Edited by Chocolate GiddyUp

• 2 weeks later...

It's pretty straightforward most of the times, but you may want to get the Tinker skill (Forager tree) relatively early in the game. This skill allows you to replace mods on weapons and outfits without losing previously installed mods. It's useful for weapons with up to three different ammo types, like shock, freeze and blast; you may want to re-spec a weapon like this depending on the situation.

The best mods are purple (epic) ones, of course, but the best of them boost multiple stats like damage + handling. You'll start getting them later in the game as well as better gear in The Frozen Wilds add-on.

As for the stats, you'll see additional green bars in your modded weapon's stat window (while holding L1 or browsing them in your inventory). If you invest in burning damage, you'll be able to ignite enemies faster using less arrows/ammo (same goes for other critical effects like shock and freeze), and they'll also be suffering from extra burning damage while on fire. Learning Double/Triple shot skills will help you ignite tough targets faster. For sharpshoot weapons, you either go for "raw damage" (precision arrow icon) or "tear damage" to pry off armor plates and components (shield icon). So just use mods of the corresponding types to suit your needs.

• Like 2

On 12/4/2019 at 4:09 PM, Chocolate GiddyUp said:

Started this game recently, loving it so far.

What are the best type of modifications for each weapon?

So far the only weapon I figured out is the Ropecaster. Stacking as much Handling on it makes you shoot ropes faster to tie down a machine

Should a fire bow stack more fire damage or raw damage or a combination of both? Does the %fire coil modification increase how much damage your fire arrow does on impact or just the burning damage over of time or both?

What about the other weapons? (The sniper bow with the arrow that removes components, Shock Bow, Sling, Tripwires, etc)

The best modifications for weapons in HZD are usually the Very Rare (Purple) modifications. On a plus note, if you have the Frozen Wilds DLC, get the unique weapon coils. They are more powerful than the regular purple weapon coils. For the Fire Coil modification, I presume that it increases the fire damage, not just the burning damage over time. I've probably only used the four main weapons in the game: Sharpshot, Hunter, War and the big bad Sling.

• Like 2

On 12/13/2019 at 7:37 AM, K0t0bl1tz said:

It's pretty straightforward most of the times, but you may want to get the Tinker skill (Forager tree) relatively early in the game. This skill allows you to replace mods on weapons and outfits without losing previously installed mods. It's useful for weapons with up to three different ammo types, like shock, freeze and blast; you may want to re-spec a weapon like this depending on the situation.

The best mods are purple (epic) ones, of course, but the best of them boost multiple stats like damage + handling. You'll start getting them later in the game as well as better gear in The Frozen Wilds add-on.

As for the stats, you'll see additional green bars in your modded weapon's stat window (while holding L1 or browsing them in your inventory). If you invest in burning damage, you'll be able to ignite enemies faster using less arrows/ammo (same goes for other critical effects like shock and freeze), and they'll also be suffering from extra burning damage while on fire. Learning Double/Triple shot skills will help you ignite tough targets faster. For sharpshoot weapons, you either go for "raw damage" (precision arrow icon) or "tear damage" to pry off armor plates and components (shield icon). So just use mods of the corresponding types to suit your needs.

Ok ty for info, fire mods are pretty op on fire arrows.

15 hours ago, BadRep24 said:

The best modifications for weapons in HZD are usually the Very Rare (Purple) modifications. On a plus note, if you have the Frozen Wilds DLC, get the unique weapon coils. They are more powerful than the regular purple weapon coils. For the Fire Coil modification, I presume that it increases the fire damage, not just the burning damage over time. I've probably only used the four main weapons in the game: Sharpshot, Hunter, War and the big bad Sling.

Ok sweet ty for info, I'll get Frozen Wild mods before doing NG+ Ultimate.

On 12/4/2019 at 4:17 PM, BlackSquirrell1 said:

I'm getting ready to start this game so info like this would be good to know.

Found this on Reddit, going to copy/paste it (I am not sure if that statement about Tear mod not affecting tearblast arrow is true tho?)

• Sharpshot - Damage (Tear does nothing for tearblast arrows)

• Hunter Bow - Damage most of the time (fire against ancient machines)

• War Bow - Freeze (I only ever use shock arrows against canisters, and the amount of shock on the arrows doesn't make them any more or less effective at that)

• Sling - Freeze

• Blast Sling - Damage

• Tripcaster - Damage

• Ropecaster - Handling (tear actually can make it more difficult to tie machines down)

• Rattler - Damage

• Forgefire - Damage

• Icerail - Damage

• Stormslinger - Handling with damage as a secondary stat.

Also  the advice from @BadRep24 and @K0t0bl1tz above my post is solid too!

Edited by Chocolate GiddyUp
  • Like 1