New CRTVs for retro gaming?

EdwardTheMartyr

I don't care for buying expensive Gamecube and Xbox HDMI crap that'll probably just break in a month. I want a new CRTV that I can use all my retro stuff one, like PlayStation and Gamecube.

So... is there a company that makes new CRTVs? Gamestops and various other venues are somehow getting a bunch of identical CRTVs. Are they getting them new?

While I can't speak to a manufacturer of new CRT TVs, there are generally a ton available on Craigslist. I picked up a 2006 Sony 55" Rear Projection CRT that only needed it's bulbs cleaned (Took me 10 minutes to open, clean, vacuum the dust, and close up), has component and composite inputs and even has an HDMI port that was free from the side of the road, and even has the original remote. Picture on the Gamecube, Wii, and PS2 with the component cables looks great.

I also have seen the 60" version of this TV on craigslist a couple times since. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, EdwardTheMartyr said:

I don't care for buying expensive Gamecube and Xbox HDMI crap that'll probably just break in a month. I want a new CRTV that I can use all my retro stuff one, like PlayStation and Gamecube.

So... is there a company that makes new CRTVs? Gamestops and various other venues are somehow getting a bunch of identical CRTVs. Are they getting them new?

They might be refurbished old TVs inside of cheap, new cabinets (pretty much anyone can make a TV cabinet, after all).

While it's technically possible that people are making new CRTs themselves, that seems unlikely, and I definitely don't think that Gamestop has their own particular manufacturer for this.

2 hours ago, EdwardTheMartyr said:

I'm thinking it's only a matter of time before they all break and the demand outpaces the supply.

I don't think there's a noteworthy supply of CRTs, and the demand is low from a consumer perspective.

2 hours ago, EdwardTheMartyr said:

I'm thinking it's only a matter of time before they all break and the demand outpaces the supply.

Demand is exclusively retro competitive gaming. I don't think demand will cross supply before someone creates custom electronic displays that don't have the inherent flaws of modern TVs (introduced lag from the HDMI standard, etc). A new technology solving that would be cheaper financially and for the environment (all that leaded glass is toxic and no one is taking it).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaivRules said:

Demand is exclusively retro competitive gaming. I don't think demand will cross supply before someone creates custom electronic displays that don't have the inherent flaws of modern TVs (introduced lag from the HDMI standard, etc). A new technology solving that would be cheaper financially and for the environment (all that leaded glass is toxic and no one is taking it).

Mmmmmm...leaded glass.

• Like 1