Is this game worth it? Also Syndicate?

TheBonobo4

Having played AC2, Brotherhood, revelations, AC3, Black Flag, rogue and now origins, (and gotten 3 of the platinums for my efforts), I'm wondering whether this game is worth it? Just seen it on sale until Christmas eve for £8 or so. Though I've heard it's a buggy mess with lots of glitches and graphical errors, to what extent have these been fixed? And if they have, is this game fun? I paid £14 for origins recently when it was on sale with PlayStation plus, and got the platinum, though looking back there were grindy things to it like completing all the locations, and I'll likely soon forget the story.

So just wondering whether Unity is fun to play, buggy, and how it is to platinum (is it fun, or will I literally spend hours searching a big map or farming for gold or experience or collectables)?

On a similar vein, since I didn't want to make 2 similar threads, I've also seen syndicate gold edition for about £10, is that any better? And do you get that much more content with the gold version than standard? The gold version is only about £2 more if I recall.

Syndicate is great fun and not to bad to platinum. DLC however is just biting through for 100% I didnt like it that much(not hard though)

unity however is the worst of all AC’s when getting the platinum. You need to get all chests and what not for a trophy and theres around 400 if I remember correctly. The game itself is fun but what a grind..

• Like 3

About Unity, I don't remember encountering any major glitch or bug. The game requires some grinding though. You'll have to open almost every chest in the game (only the ones with a white icon and the locked ones with a red icon, I suggest going for the latter after acquiring lockpick ability level 3 and buying one belt that lets you carry more than 20 lockpicks.

The Co-op missions require some grinding as well, you have to collect all Assassin Points in each mission, you won't get the Point if other players collect them, you have to collect them yourself. All co-op missions can be done solo, but they are easier to complete with other people and you need other people to get a couple of trophies.

Also, most abilities are locked from the beginning, you'll need to use Assassin Points to buy them, you will get some when completing your singleplayer mission, the remaining ones are acquired in co-op missions (a few upon completion of the mission while the rest have to be collected in the map).

I liked the game despite the grinding. Try to knock out the co-op missions once they are available playing with other people and earn all the Assassin Points to make the singleplayer missions easier to complete.

I'm yet to start AC: Syndicate, I will soon. 

• Like 1

I recommend both.

Unity was an utter mess at launch but now it's manageable and most of the ugly bugs have been completely FIXED!!I However it's the worst to grind collectible wise. You have to unlock 294 chests on the entire map, it will be maddening. What's worse you have to get all the lockpick skill to lvl 3 so it's an endgame grind. The story is also meh. BUT the game looks really good, it is pretty cheap and the DLC is free (because they messed up). Make sure to buy with your helix points the map that unveils all the secrets.

ALSO ALSO! Cafe Theatre is BUGGY!!! make sure to do a backup save after beginning the game "properly". I encountered a bug where after buying all the upgrades for Cafe Theatre, the trophy wouldn't unlock. I had to restart the game. So be on your guard.

Syndicate however is better in every single aspect. Better story, lovable characters, the side missions are so fun, the twin interaction is top notch and Jack the Ripper DLC is a must play. I fully recommend it. It got meh reviews because it was "just another AC game" but honestly it really picks up, especially if you like Victorian London setting.

In conclusion, do get them. You already played alot of them, these 2 aren't that bad. Just prepare for endless grind in Unity.

Ah and the co-op missions in Unity, except one nasty Tournament mission, all can be solo cheesed with Smoke bombs ;) so they are not that nasty. The 2 trophies where you require a co-op partner can be done in max 15 minutes so no issues there :) 

• Like 3

I prefered Unity over Syndicate story wise but both are good in my opinion.

Syndicate as said before is probably the easiest AC to Plat (trust me I got them all , well Odeyssey is on its way)

The grind on Unity is real grind tho. But the good news, all the bugs are pretty much fixed, except for the co-op part that is still shitty but not that long 

• Like 1

Unity had some of the wildest bugs at launch, but I played well after that and most were gone.  One thing that annoyed me though was my character would occasionally 'catch' on a chest while I opened it and I'd have to reload the checkpoint (if during a mission) or reload my save in free roam to get out of it.  Once I clipped through the chest and the wall it was against and fell through the world because I got bumped by a guard while opening a chest.  In other words, be careful when opening chests :P

Syndicate wasn't bug free, but compared to most AAA releases these days it felt like it.  I really can't remember a single bug that mattered or affected my gameplay (not to say there weren't any, I just don't recall experiencing any, which is of course a good thing).

Both games were super easy platinums, especially if you've earned the Plat on previous installments.

• Like 1

There are only two real multiplayer trophies in Unity. "Revive a fallen friend". Just meet with a buddy, let a guard kill him and revive him. And Sync-kills. You can do everything else alone if you have endgame gear, if I remember correctly.

I LOVED Unity, it was really great. But I was very disappointed with Syndicate. It felt like two steps back, because the base PS4 had troubles with holding 30fps in Unity.

And I did not like the plot... Most of the time it is "Jacob did something stupid. But Super-Evie is here to save the day, because women are so much smarter than men!". Well, and Jacob is an idiot... Like, really an idiot. Normally I do not care and I always play the female character, since Pokemon Crystal in 2001 if the game offers me one, but in Syndicate I felt a bit hurt...

Ah yes, and if you skill throwing knifes with Evie, she can one-hit nearly everyone. Jacob cannot do that, because he is too stupid.

Like, seriously, if Jacob would not be in the game I would not even have noticed that the game is feminist propaganda... Evie feels like a master-assassin, which is to 99% undetectable if you play her right, and Jacob... Well he is probably even too dumb to sit on a toilet.

Edited by Neputyunu
  • Like 2

Huh. Mixed opinions then. It's a shame the sale ends Christmas Eve, as it means I need to decide soon, I'm kind of thinking either get both or neither both gave good and bad points.

Also, I have Platinum on AC2, Rogue and origins, aka the 3 I own without multiplayer. I also have every trophy apart from the online ones in AC3 and brotherhood, and almost all offline in Revelations and black flag. To be honest, if they weren't so expensive I'd get the ps4 versions of the older games, since I want to play them again and platinum them. Though then you end up with trophy lists for ps3 and ps4 versions, and getting 2 platinums for essentially the same game feels weird to me. ?

Both great games. Had a lot of with fun with them. The single player part at least. Luckily Syndicate had no mp and focus more on single player experience.

Well like I said I'm only in the beginning of it really, but Arno seems great so far. The setting works well as Well, it's nice to have a big detailed city rather than origins for example which was a lot of riding a horse through not a lot. I guess that can't be helped though if you play in Egypt.

Unity is garbage.

I feel it is the most cumbersome of the "newer" Assassins Creed titles. Arno was boring and lacked the charm and appeal of Ezio.

Spoiler

His relationship with Elise looked like it was going to go somewhere but Ubisoft let it slide, resulting in her death.

None of the antagonists were memorable or even recognizable, I forgot about them right after I got the platinum. Side missions are dull and uninspired. Collectibles are all over the fucking place, getting all those chests is NOT fun especially when Ubisoft made the fucking locked chests a level 3 accessible by a locked door you have to picklock with two to three guards posted by the chest. Cockades weren't as annoying but still irritating.

You can easily do every co-op mission by yourself, the only "online" you have to do is what someone else mentioned. Revive a partner in co-op and get 10 co-op sync kills. They definitely need boosting, so grab a co-op partner to help you if you guys still don't have those trophies.

The flag collecting bit in The Tournament co-op mission is not as hard as people think. There's a specific pattern you have to follow, I did it by myself with 10 seconds left to spare, so it's easily doable on your own.

One of the best things about Unity was some of the history. Ubisoft did a good job trying to paint their picture of late 1700s France during the French Revolution. Seeing crowds of people was definitely one of the game's strong points, running around the streets of Paris and seeing so many NPCs was a delight.

--

Syndicate, while it still suffered from a lot of flaws, was the better game in my opinion.

Evie and Jacob Frye are much more likeable. Syndicate took a departure from the grim seriousness of Unity in place of some comic relief. London had better flow and consistency compared to the sheer amount of collectibles and crap Paris was filled with. The main antagonist and some of his officers were actually recognizable and memorable. You actually felt like you were taking over territory in this game. However, the gangs themselves were pretty bland and uninspired.

Syndicate is an easier game with no online trophies. I'm glad Ubisoft has been going with this business model for the past few years, since I always felt the multiplayer was too clustered with a bunch of shit that was unnecessary.

I HAVE NOT played through Assassins Creed Origins or Assassins Creed Odyssey, so I can't comment on how those games are.

Edited by DaivRules

• 6 months later...
On 12/9/2019 at 8:02 AM, X_Wizi_X said:

I didn't like Unity. Syndicate is the one that comes closest to the Ezio's Trilogy "spirit"

I just platinum'd Syndicate about a half hour ago and I think I would agree with this. I was invested in the twins characters, and enjoyed the ability to play as both, for almost two different experiences, given their polar opposite approaches to missions. The final battle though was almost comical. The shroud made Starrick look like if Daniel Day Lewis's character, Bill "the Butcher", from Gangs of New York had become Pope. As I was playing this though, I noticed the Ezio Collection being on sale for the PS4. AC2 is on my top 10 favorite games of all time, and this kind of had a slight nod to it. 

Nothing will ever come close though to AC2 in this franchise.

• Like 1