Favorite action movie?

EdwardTheMartyr

Movies in which action is the prime mover is a tertiary film genre to me at best... but I do still partake from time to time when fancy takes, once in a blue moon.

The first thing I instantly think of is Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. A perfect blend of space samurai action, bombastic production values, and enough ham to feed an entire third world country for a year (after which they'd die of gout because that much ham just ain't good for ya).

It all comes together to produce a sense of pure fun you wouldn't necessarily expect from a movie about the rise of fascism, falls from grace, and child murder. I loved it the day it premiered and I still love it now. Nothing else Star Wars can touch it, mate.

Also like to give some shoutouts to Die Hard (it's a Christmas movie and that's final), The Matrix (I can take or leave the sequels), Batman Begins (ditto), and the Indiana Jones trilogy (there is no fourth movie).

• Like 3

Terminator, Terminator 2, Predator, RoboCop, Lethal Weapon, and Starship Troopers come to mind.

4 hours ago, AK-1138 said:

Movies in which action is the prime mover is a tertiary film genre to me at best... but I do still partake from time to time when fancy takes, once in a blue moon.

The first thing I instantly think of is Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. A perfect blend of space samurai action, bombastic production values, and enough ham to feed an entire third world country for a year (after which they'd die of gout because that much ham just ain't good for ya).

It all comes together to produce a sense of pure fun you wouldn't necessarily expect from a movie about the rise of fascism, falls from grace, and child murder. I loved it the day it premiered and I still love it now. Nothing else Star Wars can touch it, mate.

Also like to give some shoutouts to Die Hard (it's a Christmas movie and that's final), The Matrix (I can take or leave the sequels), Batman Begins (ditto), and the Indiana Jones trilogy (there is no fourth movie).

These too if Star Wars counts, but definitely Die Hard and The Matrix too. It also reminded me of when I saw Revenge of the Sith in theaters around when it came out. It was a pretty good time, especially since I played KOTOR I and II back to back and watched that animated Clone Wars series that came out before it. I only wish Grievous was as cool in the movie as he was that series.

• Like 1

It's probably Mad Max: Fury Road.

It's crazy. So much of what you see in the movie is done practically. The cars are real, the stunts are real, and they all look cool af. Tom Hardy is great, Charlize Theron is awesome. Music by Junkie XL is amazing, you want to listen to it again. And just the world George Miller created is so interesting and cool. So many nice designs and details and ideas. 

There aren't a lot of movies like this one and I'm afraid there won't be for a long time.

• Like 2