Is it just me

12 minutes ago, StingX2 said:

The game itself is great but then you hit this post game cleanup and I have to keep reminding myself that I enjoyed the game. No Fast travel, no ability to mark locations on a map, and easily the worst map I've seen in a game since Fez.

I actually didn't have a post game cleanup I used a walkthrough that lead me everywhere I needed to be to get every item along the way of the story journey saved alot of time really

On 1/4/2020 at 9:38 AM, IlatzimepAho said:

This is what’s bugging me. I’ve got a couple planets at 97-98% but there’s no way for me to know where I haven’t been. I followed the powerpyx guide and have all the collectibles, but it just won’t roll over.

anytime i had missing percent but all the secrets and chests, i was missing an echo somewhere. theres guides out there with all the echos that will help you achieve the 100% if you choose. (dont blame you if you dont, as this game is so mediocre)

They should have included the option to fast travel. And running back and forth did was pad playtime even though your return trip is completely empty since enemies dont respawn unless you stop at a checkpoint. For the most part I thought the maps were tolerable if not a little annoying except for 

Spoiler

Dathomir

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely. The backtracking back to the ship alone is aggressively frustrating. On top of that, at least to me, the traversal/jumping/climbing/what have you isn't isn't even fun and the worlds aren't even that interesting. If you didn't know it was taking place in the Star Wars Universe it would let immensely less fun. I get they were trying to copy the Souls-borne style of games where you explore a new area and find out it is attached to a previous area, but the maps are too small for that to be exciting. I personally would have preferred it be a much more linear game.

The combat is the only thing getting me through to the platinum and even that is frustrating sometimes because of how often you get ganked. Whenever they do a sequel I can only hope they at least the absolute least put in fast travel, possible more space stuff since they hype up the ship/travel so much, and a map system that isn't garbage. And this is just a personal thing but I'm getting slightly tired of games just throwing in collectibles for the sake of creating an artificial joy of exploration. Even with the collectibles and cosmetics, none of them even matter to your playable character, besides that they give you exp, since you can play the whole game without getting anything and be fine.

Edited by ChunkyKong64

• 3 weeks later...

To anyone defending this as "Metroidvania" I have to ask if you have actually played this game and actual Metroidvania games in your lifetime. Backtracking doesn't equal Metroidvania automatically. ALSO, in a Metroid game, the game makes full use of the map. This game pretty much forces most of the secrets and upgrades behind obstacles that are overcome with force abilities you get halfway through the game, and are placed on planets you don't revisit at that point in the story. Not to mention that most of these upgrades (and the entire skill tree) are totally and completely useless for the most part, so the only reason you go after this shit is for trophies/achievements. A Metroid game has organic feeling exploration that encourages you to explore, whereas this game feels like it has a content quota to fill so it tosses you a bunch of extra bullshit to find presumably after you've finished the game. Oh and there's no New Game Plus which SERIOUSLY stings in this case given how there is fuck all to do once you run away from Vader with your tail in between your legs.

Metroidvania games are also... you know... fun to traverse through usually right? They tend to not be these Uncharted knockoffs full of clunky animations, broken hit detection, invisible walls up the ass and a bunch of Soulsborne elements thrown in for absolutely no reason which just gets in the way of things. This game soft locked on me four times which forced me to rewatch a bunch of poorly written and dull cutscenes and over an hour of gameplay. Can't say I remember any Metroidvania, Souls games or hell even Uncharted pulling that bullshit.

This game is overrated. I don't care if it's single player and EA tried to be somewhat creative here, it's too little too late. Just get the Jedi Knight 2 port on PS4. Or wait for the Jedi Academy port.

Edited by griffin123456789
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

So there are hundreds of people in the dev team, but none of them even came up with the thought that "The end-game exploration might not be this frustrating if we add some fast travel points", how absurd. The holo-map is also confusing since all levels are clear and blue, and sometimes trees and buildings will block the view of holo-map. This game seems just like a poor rip-off of Dark Souls/Bloodborne, and the design of meditation and revive is unreasonable: Do those monsters and stormtroopers biologically revived because of Cal's meditation? Or are they mindborne or dreamborne?

Damn, now I start to miss some Ubisoft games...

Edited by Astray404

Yeah the map sucked and level design was pretty confusing because of it. Not enough so that the game was bad or unplayable. Just kinda annoying.

my only real complaint with this game was the combat system. I know this souls like system is the popular thing to do right now but because of it I never had that feeling playing that I was a badass Jedi. For me it just seems like the combat didn’t match the content. Like unleashed and unleashed 2 you could feel how powerful he was by plowing through hundreds of stormtroopers at a time. 

anyway just my opinion , something that just kinda bugged me when I was playing it.

This entire game is bad aside from the sound effects, and those are the least important part of the game.

Combat is terrible. You're supposed to party and counter but that is only possible with a single enemy. Any time there are more, which is every time, it doesn't work. Enemies block far too much, too. Small enemies can deal lots of damage simply by backing up after they hit you.

Navigation is more difficult than necessary due to the multiple levels of the map and the map itself being odd.

Platforming is awful due to the clunky as fuck movement of Cal. I guess they tried for a realistic approach to his movements, but it just looks and feels like he's stumbling all over the place. The sliding sections control worse than anything else I ever encountered. What should be a quick diversion inevitably turns into frustration as you miss jumps and fly off the track or jump in the wrong direction. Totally uncalled for.

Frame rate is STILL horrible on version 1.10. Textures still pop in or just say fuck it and remain blurry the whole time. Game still crashes. 

Every collectible is useless and im so pissed they're required for the plat because im an idiot and will get them all.

How in the world can the three companies that came together to make this game (EA Respawn, LucasFilm) end up with such a messy game? They had basically unlimited resources! 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 12/18/2019 at 3:48 AM, steel6burgh said:

The point of the game is exploration based.  You are navigating old wreckage from clone wars etc.  It was suppose to be a slow get lost and find your way journey of exploration through this artistic imagination of the star wars universe.  The entire purpose of the journey was to explore and find your way through these integrate maps.  The way the journey is set to music much like one of the films is epic in my opinion, love how the music intensifies where you finally emerge from one area into a new area of the map as if to say, "wow look what you found, you have arrived."  If you are struggling do like I did and eat a few THC infused brownies to enhance your journey and i think you will find a new appreciation for it.  I didn't care that i was a bit lost and it felt even better when I arrived at the destination.  One of the better games imo and a top ten for the ps4 generation console. 

Edited by SOLDIER20ofJESUS

I agree with you 100%, I am currently getting the platinum and this game is really a huge headache to backtrack and the level design is really poor in my opinion. A lot of the mechanics like climbing are really clunky too. Going back for the platinum really made this game lose its shine for me.

My little contribution - collectibles were indeed somewhat tedious but I still had a very good time with this game.

I didn’t resent this lack of fast travel option as the worlds to explore are not that huge; I quite enjoyed the combat system and the plot (supported by an excellent voice acting) kept me interested til the end. And that final sequence!!!

All in all, Jedi Fallen Order somehow reminds me the first Uncharted - far from flawless, but potentially leading the way for a much better sequel. Fingers crossed ? 

• 4 weeks later...

I personally didn't find that was that boring the collectible part. The maps arent that big. You can transverse it quickly by run past the enemies. I don't know if it is because i was playing knack and that is a game that have a really TERRIBLE collectibles system. So, for me, wasn't that bad.

Edited by thalles_63

• 4 weeks later...

I really disliked all the backtracking you had to do, mostly because the planet layouts were SO bloody confusing to navigate. I just platinumed the game but must have spent a good 8-10 hours just running around trying to figure out how to get to a certain area for a collectible or to get back to the ship. This probably sounds like a contradiction, but while the maps did make sense they were not very user-friendly in my opinion.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I really enjoyed this game for the first 5 hours. It hit all the notes I was expecting for a Stars Wars experience. Then it became a bit repetitive. You soon realize it is 1/3 uncharted, 1/3 dark souls and 1/3 metroidvania. And it adds nothing to these well established genres outside of life savers (I know they're called light sabers but the 5 year old version of me refuses to change), stormtroopers and the adorable BD-1. What KILLS the game is the post game exploration with an incredibly confusing map. I just sit there staring at that blue and black screen, rotating it, zooming in and out wondering how in the world to get from point A to B. Ok, take this elevator, but the elevator is not there. Ok, I'm in the right area, but the layout of the level doesn't allow me to go this way, must find another way. How do these two points even line up on the map?!? The fact that the areas tell you what collectibles remain is great, but it DOES NOT tell you about the scan locations. I gave up on this one after completing 3 of the worlds only to realize the scan locations are going to be a thing I have to youTube. 

I'd recommend finishing the game on your own and then following youTube guides for the collectibles if you are inclined to go after them. I LOVE the exploration aspect of a metroidvania, but the map is just too much. Why isn't fast travel available to meditation locations or the very least back to the ship? I get it being game breaking during game, but make it available post game. And patch it in if it isn't in the original. People have an issue with this and it can't be that difficult to incorporate. 

Also, I just realized the map confusion I had was similar to Control, but I think I enjoyed Control more so it was easier to overlook.

Edited by cobaltTangerine

• 1 month later...

I must admit, I didn't enjoy this game anywhere near as much as I initially thought I would.

I know the map layouts and various back tracking has been much criticised (I am looking at you Zeffo), and I too found them mostly confusing and disorientating, but that was just one of a few reasons. I found the story to be pretty bland, especially Cere and Cal (could you get a more boring pair of Jedi?). I found the combat skill tree to be pretty much filler, with a lot of light sabre moves feeling like they should have been available from the start. And finally an abundance of collectibles, but I figure that criticism can be levelled at a lot of games these days. At least they provided a few decent cosmetics.

But yeah, overall I was glad to be quickly done with it to be honest, and I certainly won't be chomping at the bit for a sequel.