Trophy thoughts

Rafi_004

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 1/9/2021 at 9:30 AM, diskdocx said:

Picked this up as it was in the current sale. It was pretty good. VR is optional and there’s a lot of camera views to select from, so you can go with anything from a pure top down to almost in car (there is no bumper cam though).

it runs quite smooth, and wasn’t really clunky, although because of the design of the tracks there is a lot of screen background movement. I didn’t get any motion sickness though, so it’s definitely smooth.

There are 3 difficulty options - I finished everything on normal and would give it a 4/10. You can do it all on easy though. If you’re not good at racers, there are some tricky spots. Probably 10 hours, give or take overall.

I may do a guide, but basically you just need to win every race. There are 2 different championships - traditional racing where the only power up is boost, and then more of a kart mode with various offensive and defensive pick ups. It doesn’t matter which mode you choose, and you don’t have to do both - but you will need to complete all 4 tiers within whichever championship you opt for. Altogether you are looking at about 250 races. There are 26 tracks plus each track has a day and night variant and a reverse. Still, it gets repetitive by the 10th race on the same track.

On the bright side, most tracks are very short - like 10-20 seconds per lap - so races take about a minute each.

There should be no grinding, as the final Championship is 104 races, and you get $900 for winning each race - so there's your $100,000 trophy covered. Note that this does need to be 100k in the bank, not 100k total won - so don't go crazy upgrading cars you don't need.

Speaking of cars - the only car you will want to bother with is the Formula racer. It's a shame, as there are a lot of vehicles, but they are so unbalanced that you really won't get past the first Championship without using the Formula - it is quicker than almost every car, has highest top speed and the best handling. The only short coming is with boost, but if you boost off the line to start every race, you will be out front by the first corner and really can't be caught unless you make a mistake. This is the only strategy for the game - buy the Formula, fully upgrade it, boost at the start and cruise to victory.  (NOTE - this strategy assumes you went with the pure racing Championship route. If you chose the Kart format, your experience may be different. I would assume the AI will just spam attacks on the higher level Championships, hence the reason I went with the racing only route, which is just about skill. YMMV if you opt for the other route)

By the 3rd Championship you will typically have at least one AI Formula, and these will be your only challenge as they can definitely keep up with you. Again, the best bet is to out boost them to start then just play keep ahead. By comparison the 4th Championship is much easier as the main AI is the Prototype, which despite being the last vehicle you can unlock (once you finish the 4th Championship), it is not as good as the Formula. Quicker acceleration, but handling and top speed are lacking. Just keep upgrading the Formula as you earn money - ultimately you need to fully upgrade it for 2 trophies, and you'll need the upgrades anyway to keep pace with the AI.

A final note on cars, if you buy the standard version of the game, a bunch of starting cars are available to use and these should get you through the 1st Championship. You will need $5000 to buy the Formula - switch to it as soon as you can. If you bought upgrades for your starting vehicle, you can respec it, which removes all upgrades and gives you 90% of the upgrade value back. There is a shortcut - if you buy the digital deluxe version, it gives you a bonus car (LeDorian) which is a decent starting car, and $5000 in starting cash - using this, you can buy the Formula right at the start and never look back. Probably saves you a bit of time. It's not worth the $10 extra that the list price asks for, but if you're buying it in a sale and can get this for $2, go for it.

You have a few MP trophies, which probably need a boost buddy since MP is basically dead. I found probably 10-15 races against actual other players, most of them being recent players here on the site. You can leave the game to search for an MP lobby  while you work through the championship events.

Overall a decent mini car racer, worth the $10 I paid on sale, but not much more. Getting the deluxe edition for a couple of bucks more is probably worth it for the $5000 starting bonus.

Fantastic post. I wish others would be this detailed and thorough.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

@diskdocx I read your post, thanks a lot for the tips. I can totally agree all cars are absolute crap -.- I am at the third cup now and I it's almost impossible to win even with my upgraded car and driving almost without mistakes due to the way faster bots. One question what do you mean with Formula car? Could you post a screenshot of the car you mean?

Thx in advance !

• Like 1

On 9/4/2021 at 0:57 PM, DavySuicide said:

@diskdocx I read your post, thanks a lot for the tips. I can totally agree all cars are absolute crap -.- I am at the third cup now and I it's almost impossible to win even with my upgraded car and driving almost without mistakes due to the way faster bots. One question what do you mean with Formula car? Could you post a screenshot of the car you mean?

Thx in advance !

At the car selection screen the name of the car is stated above its stats. The car is called 'formula'.

For a screen shot and some minor explanation: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2424445997

This is in Russian, so I used google translate to make some sense of it.

The online part only needs 2 real players, can be boosted with 2 consoles (a ps5 as 2nd console works just fine), and the speed way track is the easiest to win on and the fastest to grind on. Resort being a good second choice. After each race you can select a course and also select a reshuffle of your choices. Then it becomes a matter of efficiency of keep trying to get one of these tracks or pick another one and start already.

Edited by de_digibeet

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/6/2021 at 9:58 PM, fvecchio said:

I did all online trophies by myself, no need a second player or second controller

Even better :).

I tried with two consoles out of habit, maybe I didn't test properly with just one player on one console.Glad it works even with just one.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 10/6/2021 at 3:58 PM, fvecchio said:

I did all online trophies by myself, no need a second player or second controller

Can you explain this please? I want to get this game but that goddamn multiplayer bullshit has made me a bit hesitant. I hate online multiplayer trophies with a burning passion and I wish soooo badly that developers would fucking STOP adding them to their games (seems to be waaaaaay too much of it nowadays) but I know it's never going to happen so if I want to platinum this game I'm just going to have to deal with it... but not if it's unreasonable. Your explanation would be appreciated.

-EDIT-

I found this: https://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/topic/327078-trophy-tips/. Why you couldn't just say that in the first place, fvecchio, is beyond me. And by "say that" I mean just host a lobby and play against bots as the link describes.

Edited by MrTacoNinja
  • Like 1

On 3/17/2022 at 5:59 AM, Master_Mayhem_ said:

I’m a bit confused. Can you get the multiplayer trophies against bots? Has anybody tested this? Any feedback would be great as this game is on sale and it’s been a game I have been looking at for awhile. Thanks in advance

Yeah you can do the MP with just yourself vs bots. Just did it myself a few hours ago.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...