Ever played a game so good, you just can't jump into the next one?

Metal

18 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

A couple of notes here:

1. SotC is better on PS4 than on PS3, because it has to be. The control on PS3 is a nightmare. And yet, the game is still so good that I would recommend playing it on PS3 if you have no other choice

Fear not, I did get the PS4 version ?

Chrono Trigger was great on SNES. However, the various ports have often been lackluster (though the GBA, or maybe it was DS, version is an exception)

I never had an SNES (I don't think I've ever even played on one?...), so I got the DS version. Heard it's just as good as the SNES version, though, even if the minor new additions kinda suck.

Bloodborne is a bit different than Dark Souls. Both are excellent, though, so I hope you try it. 

Yes, from what I heard they're not quite the same, but good enough to let you check out the general style and feel.

• Like 1

I always move forward to another game after getting all trophies, but sometimes I come back to play The End Is Nigh just for pure fun - even if it's non-multiplayer, non-rogue like game so, so it lacks in replayability departament.

I mourn the lack of any additional stacks... I'd buy every one for full price just to get another platinum for this game.

On 10.12.2019 at 9:41 PM, FierceMetal said:

Genuine question? I've just bought a PlayStation for the first time in my life. Just got access to a bunch of awesome Exclusives I've been eying up for the longest time, so I'm not short on games to play. However, I've just finished Shadow of the Colosuss, and honestly it was so damn good. I've had to take a few days to let it sink in. I'm sure I'll get stuck into the next game really soon. But seriously, that game is a master piece and I'm not ready to play anything else just yet.

Please tell me this is normal 1f602.png

What games have you guys played that has made you just have to stop, let it sink in, before you can move on? 

Well, you instantly hit the jackpot with the best game of all time ? . When I finished this on the PS2 it took me a week not to constantly think about this game. To this day SotC remains the best overall media experience I've ever had.

19 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

A couple of notes here:

1. SotC is better on PS4 than on PS3, because it has to be. The control on PS3 is a nightmare. And yet, the game is still so good that I would recommend playing it on PS3 if you have no other choice

That depends. The atmosphere and overall feeling was a bit better on the PS2/PS3. Simply due to the fact that the PS4 version looked "too good" and lively. In the PS2 and 3 version you felt way more isolated due to the limitations of the console and the realization of the graphics. When the grass is moving in the wind and you have a more vibrant and colorful scenery on the 4 the atmosphere is just something else. They also removed the gloomy effect in the new version. The older ones had this effect as a design choice and to hide bad graphics in the distance. This and other choices changed the feeling of the gam. Not in a drastically bad way but in a way you notice.

• Like 3

On 10.12.2019 at 10:41 PM, FierceMetal said:

Genuine question? I've just bought a PlayStation for the first time in my life. Just got access to a bunch of awesome Exclusives I've been eying up for the longest time, so I'm not short on games to play. However, I've just finished Shadow of the Colosuss, and honestly it was so damn good. I've had to take a few days to let it sink in. I'm sure I'll get stuck into the next game really soon. But seriously, that game is a master piece and I'm not ready to play anything else just yet.

What games have you guys played that has made you just have to stop, let it sink in, before you can move on? 

I played games for example Oblivion, Virtua Fighter 5 and Tekken 6 for a long time and had fun with them. I enjoy fighting games a lot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gommes_ said:

That depends. The atmosphere and overall feeling was a bit better on the PS2/PS3. Simply due to the fact that the PS4 version looked "too good" and lively. In the PS2 and 3 version you felt way more isolated due to the limitations of the console and the realization of the graphics. When the grass is moving in the wind and you have a more vibrant and colorful scenery on the 4 the atmosphere is just something else. They also removed the gloomy effect in the new version. The older ones had this effect as a design choice and to hide bad graphics in the distance. This and other choices changed the feeling of the gam. Not in a drastically bad way but in a way you notice.

That is interesting to me. I always complain that sometimes cleaning up a game messes up its aesthetic, and SotC is certainly a candidate for that.

As you probably could tell, I haven't played the PS4 version. I simply saw its rave reviews and remembered my own nightmares with the PS3 controls. <slaps self on wrist>

• Like 1

Pretty much anytime I've just finishes a classic... to me, that's a big list! In general once I'm fully done on one game, it takes me a bit to get into the next one anyway. Think the last instance I can think of was RDR2's Story. Once i had concluded it, down went the pad for a day or two even though I had 194238347972390 collectibles to go and find.

I have this for a few games, I do about 2 playthroughs of Bloodborne every year, unfortunately the PlayStation store bugs out when I try to download the DLC again so I can't get the last trophy for 100 percent.

I also constantly finding myself going back to Risk of rain 2, Deadcells and Slay the spire something about roguelites are just so addicting.

On 12/13/2019 at 4:50 AM, DreddPirateRobb said:

The Witcher 3. I just 100% it the other day and I'm still thinking about it. I got the perfect ending (blood and wine DLC) and I don't think I'll find another one like it ever again.

Atleast The Witcher 3 has multiple stacks you can go back to if you want to.

On 12/12/2019 at 2:51 AM, FierceMetal said:

I have: 

God of War

Horizon Zero Dawn 

Bloodborne

The Last of Us

Detroit Become Human

Nioh

All ready to go. I know these games are going to be fantastic.

It's hard for me to comprehend how any of them are going to surpass Shadow of the Colosuss for me but no doubt some of them will. 

I've had a few more days to digest Sotc. It is my personal favourite game I've ever played (didn't think anything would ever dethrone Aaero). Hence why I've had to take a minute. I can see my list of Favourites moving around a lot over the next few months as I work through some of these Exclusives. Exciting times! 

I also have some non exclusive games to play which I know are going to be great too: Hollow Knight, Dead Cells, Nier Automata, Hellblade and Sekiro. 

It's almost overwhelming how much I've got to play lol. Thanks for your post ?

Well, those are all high quality games to say the least, with The Last of Us being moreso for its narrative in comparison to its gameplay. But yes, they will be fantastic, even if you don't end up loving all of them.

Fairly understandable. I'd say play close attention to other game's writing, combat (for the action games of course), gameplay depth, OST, voice performance, and other similar major aspects. SotC is mostly special out of its uncommon gameplay style, even though there's not much actual depth within the gameplay.

Considering your current level of experience with PSEs, your favorites should definitely shift a lot. A lot of favorites people have this generation include Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, Marvel Spider-Man, Days Gone, Persona 5, Bloodborne, etc, all of which and more you haven't even touched.

• Like 2

On 12/10/2019 at 3:41 PM, FierceMetal said:

All I can say is, you need to catch up on some Unchated/God of War/Spider-Man action ASAP.

On 12/10/2019 at 3:55 PM, FierceMetal said:

put PSVR on the Christmas list. For Astro Bot and Beat Sabre alone (and I'm sure there's more games).

Try out Moss or Job Simulator as well. Thumper's intense. Beat Saber will get you sweating out easily! Oh yeah, get the SUPERHOT bundle! It contains the regular game (which is so fun!) and the VR version (which is hard asf, but really fun to play). You won't be disappointed.

Edited by ArmoredSnowman
  • Like 1

On 13/12/2019 at 0:59 PM, starcrunch061 said:

As you probably could tell, I haven't played the PS4 version. I simply saw its rave reviews and remembered my own nightmares with the PS3 controls. <slaps self on wrist>

I also heard that the controls are a bit clunky on the remake (although still better than older versions), so was expecting atleast some frustration going into it. Not sure what system you're rocking but I played the game in performance mode on the Pro and it was a very smooth experience. Controls felt responsive and the frame rate was solid. Just thought it'd be worth a mention.

17 hours ago, ArmoredSnowman said:

All I can say is, you need to catch up on some Unchated/God of War/Spider-Man action ASAP.

Try out Moss or Job Simulator as well. Thumper's intense. Beat Saber will get you sweating out easily! Oh yeah, get the SUPERHOT bundle! It contains the regular game (which is so fun!) and the VR version (which is hard asf, but really fun to play). You won't be disappointed.

All fantastic recommendations my dude. Thumper really stands out to me on that list. Aaero is one of my favourite games of all time and I've heard Thumper is atleast similar in some ways. Going to have to pick it up and give it a go in VR. As well as work through most of the games you mentioned! 

On 13/12/2019 at 10:56 AM, Gommes_ said:

Well, you instantly hit the jackpot with the best game of all time ? . When I finished this on the PS2 it took me a week not to constantly think about this game. To this day SotC remains the best overall media experience I've ever had.

Amen to that my friend! 

• Like 2

The first time this happened to me was with Life is Strange. I don't think I've experienced anything comparable before or since (although Before the Storm was very good as well). After that it took me years to find a game that touched me in a similarly impactful way and that was NieR: Automata, which has already been mentioned a few times - and deservedly so. An incredebly intense experience that was 'repeated' sursprisingly soon afterwards with Horizon Zero Dawn. Both had a very captivating way of building their respective worlds and made me want to learn more and more about them like almost nothing before.

Two honorable mentions that came quite close to this: Oxenfree, very short, very cryptic, but exactly my kind of story. BioShock Infinite: I generally don't like shooters very much and I think this might have been more or less the first one outside the Call of Duty series I finished, but the story became more interesting with every step I took. While I almost forced myself to get through the first game and skipping its sequel altogether, Infinite was so captivating I could ignore the gameplay comepletely. "There's always a lighthouse. There's always a man. There's always a city." Extraordinary.

I still listen to all of these games' soundtracks and I think I'll keep listening to them for the rest of my life at least once in a while.

Edited by RachelCharlotte
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, RachelCharlotte said:

The first time this happened to me was with Life is Strange. I don't think I've experienced anything comparable before or since

Life is Strange is such a good game. I also really enjoyed Before the Storm. Fantastic story telling and really cool aesthetic. 

The thing I love about games like LiS, the heavy emphasis on the narrative is very inviting to none gamers. My wife and my daughters have sat through these games fully immersed, also. Which typically they do not care much for video games. That alone makes games like these special to me. Other exmples would be: Firewatch, Lateshift and some of the better Telltale games etc. 

In fact, if you or anyone else have any recommendations for other games like these, that would be rad! 

• Like 3

On 11/12/2019 at 5:46 AM, thefourfoldroot said:

I've had a hard time playing flat games since Astro Bot. That game is just a revolution. Like the first time I played Mario 64. In fact that was another one. Plus FF7.

Yeah, AstroBot was so awesome, I don't think I can play normal 3D platform games again. It's a shame there aren't any other games on VR like it at the moment...

25 minutes ago, FierceMetal said:

In fact, if you or anyone else have any recommendations for other games like these, that would be rad! 

Well, I've nothing really deserving of the title 'like LiS' for you, but you might want to take a look at Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, Valiant Hearts: The Great War, Never Alone or Seasons After Fall. Rime is a game I would have 'enjoyed' a lot more had I been the one watching instead of playing it, some parts were just too tough. But the story and music (the title (?) song was made by Lindsey Stirling ?) are brilliant. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture is also not bad.

(And also Oxenfree which I edited in in my previous post because I accidentally submitted my text before finishing it)

38 minutes ago, RachelCharlotte said:

Well, I've nothing really deserving of the title 'like LiS' for you, but you might want to take a look at Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, Valiant Hearts: The Great War, Never Alone or Seasons After Fall. Rime is a game I would have 'enjoyed' a lot more had I been the one watching instead of playing it, some parts were just too tough. But the story and music (the title (?) song was made by Lindsey Stirling 1f60d.png) are brilliant. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture is also not bad.

(And also Oxenfree which I edited in in my previous post because I accidentally submitted my text before finishing it)

Thank you! Will check some of these out for sure. Will also drop back to give you some rep later when I've got more to give out ?

1 hour ago, RachelCharlotte said:

Well, I've nothing really deserving of the title 'like LiS' for you, but you might want to take a look at Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, Valiant Hearts: The Great War, Never Alone or Seasons After Fall. Rime is a game I would have 'enjoyed' a lot more had I been the one watching instead of playing it, some parts were just too tough. But the story and music (the title (?) song was made by Lindsey Stirling ?) are brilliant. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture is also not bad.

I second brothers a tale of two sons. Stunning. 

Also maybe a bit left field, but Thomas was alone is a great experience.

• Like 1