1. 1. What is your game of the year?

• Resident Evil 2 Remake
    • Control
    • Death Stranding
    • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
    • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
    • The Outer Worlds
    • Other (list as a reply in the topic)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

22 posts in this topic

Shadowbringers is my GotY.  It was a return to form.  

Never heard of Disco Elysium but it beat out one of my favorite indies Slay the Spire, super excited to get to try it when it hits PS4.  Grats to Sekiro! It was between Sekiro and Death stranding for me both games were amazing.

Would of been Sekiro for me.

I'm completely bias though when it comes to Fom Soft games. It's hilarious that Sekiro won especially after all the bitching about it not being easy enough for everyone to finish it.

Death Stranding for polish. I spent over a 100 hours playing the game and did not encounter one bug or glitch. That's unheard of these days. 

Edited by reiner-

13 minutes ago, reiner- said:

Sekiro for me.

I'm completely bias though when it comes to Fom Soft games.

Death Stranding for polish. I spent over a 100 hours playing the game and did not encounter one bug or glitch. That's unheard of these days. 

This is so true, in my whole playthrough of Death stranding I only encountered one bug about 80 hours in and it was an invisible bridge other than that nothing else.  Death stranding also had the fastest loading times in an open world game I have ever played. What took Death stranding 5 second to load took Horizon like 1-2 minutes to load it was so refreshing.

Surprised Untitled Goose Game Didn't win anything never heard of Disco Elysium.
Based on that list I would probably pick Sekiro Shadows Die Twice
As for Smash Bros I know it was qualified for 2019, but I still consider a 2018 game.
Otherwise my personal pick might be Luigi's Mansion 3 or Super Mario Maker 2
On PS4 probably Judgment or Code Vein.
Overall I'd probably go with Luigi's Mansion 3.

Sekiro really deserved it this year, even though I didn't play it, I've only heard positive stuff from players around the internet.

Out of the 4 releases I've played this year, my personal choice is Resident Evil 2. Nostalgia hit hard with that one, and it was a really good game in itself as well.

Edited by kanzenchaos

Literally thought that Sekiro had the least chance. Couldn't be more happier to see it win it. With both Bloodborne and DSIII failing to win anything, this is the first time FromSoft has gotten recognition from the awards. Although I'd say that Sekiro is the weakest of the three, it's still near perfection for me.

Sekiro DLC when?

25 minutes ago, Golden Devil Gamer said:

Literally thought that Sekiro had the least chance. Couldn't be more happier to see it win it. With both Bloodborne and DSIII failing to win anything, this is the first time FromSoft has gotten recognition from the awards. Although I'd say that Sekiro is the weakest of the three, it's still near perfection for me.

Sekiro DLC when?

I agree with you there. Even though it's the weakest. It still shits on all the other games in that genre 😂

Disco Elysium is coming next year for PS4. It is a great cRPG but with no combat, is more like a narrative experience.

Sekiro or Death Stranding both are good games. 

The orchestra was great. Hellblade II teaser was definitely moving. Since Microsoft acquired Ninja Theory it will be XBOX exclusive now.

Devil May Cry 5 was my game of the year, really should've been nominated.

Death Stranding is my GOTY but Sekiro is a close second. Glad it won. 

Edited by Killbomb

From the games that were nominated for goty, I like that Sekiro won, then again, I am a big fan of Bloodborne and Dark Souls 😁 If Control won I would have been fine with that too.

Glad to see Disco Elysium got plenty of recognition too. I heard only amazing things about it, both from from the media and the players, it looks very creative and full of depth. I will definitely play it in the next few months.

This game awards made me realize how few games released this year I played, mostly because I already have a huge backlog of great games. I might play DMC 5 this december.

Edited by sillyrobo75

Great to see From Software getting the GOTY. An outstanding developer which inspired many these days to make incredible games. 

I'm honestly surprised Days Gone didn't get nominated for any awards but I'm happy about Sekiro getting it instead though, well deserved.

4 hours ago, FinalRevival said:

Sekiro or Death Stranding both are good games. 

The orchestra was great. Hellblade II teaser was definitely moving. Since Microsoft acquired Ninja Theory it will be XBOX exclusive now.

YEs, But I get it on PC :)

Death Stranding, Devil May Cry 5, Resident Evil 2, Sekiro are my GOTY and I refuse to pick one. What a crazy year.

39 minutes ago, sh4d0wzcs said:

I'm honestly surprised Days Gone didn't get nominated for any awards but I'm happy about Sekiro getting it instead though, well deserved.

Right!? Days Gone was an excellent game, it could at least get a few nominations. And if you assume it didn't because of launch bugs and poor performance on base consoles, then Control shouldn't either.

Thought Death Stranding was gonna take it, but I'm super happy with Sekiro. Even though it is not the best Souls game, it is the most fun to play. Getting your first deathblow was a really cool presentation. Also, Control really deserved that Art Direction award, the game's just gorgeous to look at!

Edited by Thinger95

9 hours ago, Titanomachy_75 said:

YEs, But I get it on PC :)

I happen to have other consoles for exclusives (like Gears of War, Cuphead etc.) I definitely will catch up on Hellblade II.

I think it is odd sekiro only won 1 other award and won game of the year I think re2 remake was the best for this years game of the year award but that is me because sekiro to me is another copy of dark souls style combat and am bored with them kind of games I played over 6 games all souls games plus demon and blood borne and I want a change a complete change. I know my outlook is very old school but I wish king's field was back than another souls 3rd person game but that is me.

9 hours ago, Thinger95 said:

Right!? Days Gone was an excellent game, it could at least get a few nominations. And if you assume it didn't because of launch bugs and poor performance on base consoles, then Control shouldn't either.

Thought Death Stranding was gonna take it, but I'm super happy with Sekiro. Even though it is not the best Souls game, it is the most fun to play. Getting your first deathblow was a really cool presentation. Also, Control really deserved that Art Direction award, the game's just gorgeous to look at!

Completely agree! Days gone is my game of the year, feels sad that it wasn't even mentioned as a nominee.

Everything about this game was great for me! ^_^