Xbox Series X

fbdbh

As someone that used to be a fan of XBox...this show was an absolute joke. This officially confirms that Phil Spencer is the worst hype man in history and that Microsoft has no idea what they're doing. Sony is going to annihilate them this upcoming season and now with a rumored stay of play in August for the PS5 where Sony is supposedly going to show off more games. Microsoft better do some serious damage control

https://www.ccn.com/ps5-god-of-war-sequel-august-reveal/ 

• Like 1

On 23/07/2020 at 9:57 PM, matigrosso91 said:

It's almost like Xbox officially abandoned the "Console Wars". They're focused on games as services and Game Pass, not in the console per se. 

It's not crucial for Microsoft to have Xbox be a huge success so I guess they don't really care to "win" in the so-called "console wars".
PlayStation is one of the few or only profitable business areas for Sony at the moment so they'll be in trouble if PS5 fails. Sony has already started putting up safety nets (expanding to PC and whatever they have up their sleeve with Epic Games) to dampen the impact in case PS5 is not a commercial success - which is pretty smart at the times we live in.

44 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

It's not crucial for Microsoft to have Xbox be a huge success so I guess they don't really care to "win" in the so-called "console wars".
PlayStation is one of the few or only profitable business areas for Sony at the moment so they'll be in trouble if PS5 fails. Sony has already started putting up safety nets (expanding to PC and whatever they have up their sleeve with Epic Games) to dampen the impact in case PS5 is not a commercial success - which is pretty smart at the times we live in.

PlayStation isn’t the most profitable part of Sony’s portfolio. And all of their business lines are profitable.

1 hour ago, Eyjabria said:

SIE  is hardly Sony's bread and butter. Sony Music and their Life insurance division are far more profitable

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Great news for consumers, all xbox one controllers, including the adaptive controller will work on all xbox series x titles. third party controllers and headsets will work too

https://www.siliconera.com/xbox-series-x-will-be-compatible-with-all-xbox-one-controllers-across-all-games/

Why wouldn’t they? The new controllers are the same as the old. Zero new features to care about. Would be strange if old controllers didn’t work in that case.

22 minutes ago, thefourfoldroot said:

Why wouldn’t they? The new controllers are the same as the old. Zero new features to care about. Would be strange if old controllers didn’t work in that case.

Haptic feedback isn't enough of a new feature to excuse Dualshock 4 controllers not working on the ps5, but here we are

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Haptic feedback isn't enough of a new feature to excuse Dualshock 4 controllers not working on the ps5, but here we are

So Xbox doesn’t have it, meaning it will be hard enough to get 3rd party devs to implement haptics, and you then want Sony to tell devs that not even all ps5 owners will necessarily have access?! LMAO! No. It would be Kinect over again.

That is absolutely not the way to get fantastic features like haptics and reactive triggers implemented. Thank god Sony saw that otherwise one of the benefits of next gen would be lost before it begins.

You can still use DS4 for PS4 games on PS5 if you really want to, but devs need to know their PS5 games will have a userbase for haptics for them to implement it.

Edited by thefourfoldroot

49 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Not much point to a new feature if you aren't being encouraged to use it. There's solid reasoning behind not allowing PS4 controllers to work with PS5 titles. People are acting like they aren't getting a controller with the console the way they're trying to make it out.

• Like 2

https://www.polygon.com/2020/8/11/21363821/halo-infinite-delayed-xbox-series-x-343-industries

Well Halo: Infinite has been delayed to 2021. This just got very interesting and it seems like Microsoft can never catch a break or any gain momentum whatsoever. I'm curious to see how this is going to affect the Series X launch with Halo being there biggest franchise. I know Sony is very happy about this and probably making plans for another big show before the PS5 launch

• 4 weeks later...

For those interested, the Xbox Series S (aka the long-rumored Project Lockhart) finally got leaked on Monday and officially revealed early Tuesday morning by Microsoft on Twitter. See the videos below the article:

xbox-series-s-and-x-together.jpg

It has long been rumored that Microsoft is working on two Xbox consoles for next-gen, aiming to claim both ends of the market. And now, we can confirm indeed that the pricing scheme should be very familiar, matching that of the Xbox One X and Xbox One S of yesteryear.

We can confirm via our sources that the entry-level Xbox Series S will cost $299 at retail, with a $25 per month Xbox All Access financing option, which Microsoft is planning to push hard via various retailers and a large global rollout. The more powerful Xbox Series X will cost $499, with a $35 per month Xbox All Access financing option.

Both consoles will launch on November 10th, 2020.

The Xbox Series S just leaked (via Brad Sams), giving us a glimpse at Microsoft's entry-level next-gen SKU. The Xbox Series S is small enough to fit inside an Xbox Series X, and we expect it to be around 4TF RDNA2, making it roughly around as powerful as the Xbox One X, perhaps geared towards 1080p monitors with better frame rates. We don't have further details on the console's capabilities beyond that, but we expect NVME drives, and many of the newer "next-gen" features like fast resuming multiple games, and ray tracing.

The Xbox Series X is a 12TF beast of a console that will boast 4K resolution and 60 FPS as standard, with some games, like Halo Infinite, going all the way up to 120 FPS in multiplayer.

The prices Microsoft have put forward for the Xbox Series S and Xbox Series X put them firmly in-line with the Xbox One S and Xbox One X, and it will be interesting to see how Sony prices the competing PlayStation 5 in response.

Microsoft will push Xbox All Access financing far more broadly than it did this gen, which was seen as a bit of a pilot program. We're expecting Xbox All Access to roll out to far more markets than it did previously, and we also expect the Xbox Series consoles to gun for a global simultaneous launch in all existing Xbox markets, rather than the slow rollout we saw for the Xbox One in 2013.

SOURCE: https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-series-x-and-xbox-series-s-release-date-and-price-finally-revealed

VIDEOS:

Edited by MossyOakRcn42
Fixed error, added video.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have nothing against Microsoft or Xbox but what's with the naming they've been doing. Xbox to xbox360. Sure. Xbox360 to Xbox One. Uhhh ok. Xbox One to Xbox series x?!? ??????????

Maybe I'm just confused. Idk. You've got sony just counting up and Nintendo coming up with new names each time and then Microsoft doing whatever it is you'd call this ?

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Dav9834 said:

And 1/3rd the power of PS5 and Xbox series X

Idk why they made this machine 

They're hoping to copy Nintendo in that having a cheap machine will translate into higher sales. Never mind that Nintendo usually offers a unique experience with their cheaper consoles along with what's probably the best first party lineup in the industry. Series S exists to shill Gamepass and the fact that they languished hours after series X preorders sold out is telling about how much of a good idea it was. Phil thinks it'll be the gens best seller though

• Like 2

4 hours ago, majob said:

They're hoping to copy Nintendo in that having a cheap machine will translate into higher sales. Never mind that Nintendo usually offers a unique experience with their cheaper consoles along with what's probably the best first party lineup in the industry. Series S exists to shill Gamepass and the fact that they languished hours after series X preorders sold out is telling about how much of a good idea it was. Phil thinks it'll be the gens best seller though

Ya you're right

I am very interested in seeing the return numbers(or angry parents on Christmas/Hanukkah/etc when their kid is like, this is crap) 3 months from now for Series S. 

It's almost like Phil being a car salesman with duping parents and people who don't know into buying it thinking it's truly the next gen that they want, just without a disk drive(some people will want it and be happy I have no doubt, but I wouldn't, my nephews and nieces wouldn't, not if they knew the facts). 

Edited by Dav9834

5 hours ago, majob said:

I'm not really sure how I feel about Microsoft being hellbent on not committing to next gen.  Between promised years of Xbox One backwards compatibility in new games and having to develop for weaker hardware with the Series S.

On the one hand, I'm sure there are a lot of people happy about the fact they get to save money at every turn.  Buying cheaper, weaker "next gen" consoles or just sticking with the Xbox One as long as they can.  On the other hand, it'd be frustrating if I were an Xbox user because any game on the Series X will basically be a high res/high framerate Xbox One game.  Even as a Playstation user, it's tough to overlook the impact that may have on third party, multiplatform releases.  The only truly next gen games will be PS5 exclusives, which is one reason I'm glad to be here.

EDIT: In that sense, I think Sony is kinda following the conventional next-gen console guidelines by making a clearer line differentiating the PS4 and the PS5... where Microsoft is kinda trying to change the game a little bit.  In some ways it's making Sony look "outdated", especially when you look at the patchwork way they're handling the PS4's features transitioning to the PS5 (like the party chat stuff)... since the PS4 is becoming an afterthought now, and it "working" is more important than it working well.

Where personally, I prefer how Sony is doing it.  I want my $500 console to be a new machine, a fresh start to a new generation of games that use those resources as substantially as they can.  If I wanted games that catered to the lowest common denominator spec-wise with texture/resolution sliders as the main difference maker for higher end machines, I'd game on PC.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

I'm not really sure how I feel about Microsoft being hellbent on not committing to next gen.  Between promised years of Xbox One backwards compatibility in new games and having to develop for weaker hardware with the Series S.

On the one hand, I'm sure there are a lot of people happy about the fact they get to save money at every turn.  Buying cheaper, weaker "next gen" consoles or just sticking with the Xbox One as long as they can.  On the other hand, it'd be frustrating if I were an Xbox user because any game on the Series X will basically be a high res/high framerate Xbox One game.  Even as a Playstation user, it's tough to overlook the impact that may have on third party, multiplatform releases.  The only truly next gen games will be PS5 exclusives, which is one reason I'm glad to be here.

EDIT: In that sense, I think Sony is kinda following the conventional next-gen console guidelines by making a clearer line differentiating the PS4 and the PS5... where Microsoft is kinda trying to change the game a little bit.  In some ways it's making Sony look "outdated", especially when you look at the patchwork way they're handling the PS4's features transitioning to the PS5 (like the party chat stuff)... since the PS4 is becoming an afterthought now, and it "working" is more important than it working well.

Where personally, I prefer how Sony is doing it.  I want my $500 console to be a new machine, a fresh start to a new generation of games that use those resources as substantially as they can.  If I wanted games that catered to the lowest common denominator spec-wise with texture/resolution sliders as the main difference maker for higher end machines, I'd game on PC.

This is exactly what I fear, and likely will be

Despite what Spencer says, third party devs will tone down Xbox Series X and PS5 games to make it easier to port to the Series S

They just want subscribers, which yeah from a financial perspective is the best way. But I don't see this ending well. Either Next Gen will be diluted because of Series S, or... Actually I don't know what else is the most likely scenario. 

Gotta just pray some third parties go all out for PS5 and then make series S a complete afterthought.

Edited by Dav9834
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

Microsoft has been out of the loop since 2013. Sony has practically had the entire PS4 generation to themselves, more or less. Which is also why I think many of the stupid decisions they've made over the past few years have been them being overly cocky and too full of themselves.

In a sense, it is history repeating. But you're looking at the wrong platform if you want the latest and greatest in technology. PC already had the PS4 Pro beaten in less than a year in what it was capable of doing. The problem is PC ports over the past decade have been largely disappointing. Look at how Batman: Arkham Knight was handled and how terrible it ran when it released on Steam.

I don't give a damn anymore. These days I'm mostly gaming with existing titles, when I feel like I want to go out and buy God of War: Ragnarok when it comes out on the PS5 I have that option to do so.

What Sony needs is a fresh start on their perspective. I can already play all the fucking games I want on the PC, but Sony has done some stupid shit in recent times. If they want me to stick around as I have done for nearly an entire decade, then they better deliver on not only delivering good exclusives but also deliver on good performance on existing PS4 games as well as PS5 games which I'm sure will undergo a series of changes to make them run better.

Then of course, there is the question on whether Sony will release yet another Slim version of their console, and provide a "Pro" version that will be capable of delivering 8K resolution.

So I just watched the PS5 teardown video again and something quite interesting caught my eye. On top of the 16GB RAM which PS5 has, there also seems to be additional RAM allocated for the PS5's O.S, using DDR4 grade RAM.

The reason this is interesting, is because when Microsoft announced Series X, they said their console has 16GB GDDR6 RAM but 2.5 GB of that will be reserved for the operating system, leaving 13.5 GB RAM for games only. So when Sony announced their PS5 to also have 16GB, everyone defaulted to the assumption that there would be a cut-off like what Series X is doing. But apparently, that's not the case here and they're doing a PS4 Pro-type configuration for fully streamlined RAM.

tl;dr: Actual RAM numbers games will have for next gen
Series X - 13.5 GB GDDR6
PS5 - 16 GB GDDR6

Edited by Eraezr