Incredibly hard

vanessaking2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I picked this up half price recently & had a dig. At first it felt pretty good & the actual movement of the ship is better than expected. The visual design trolls the shit out of the player but the worst of it would have to be loosing your options & back-shot on death with no way to get it back because for some reason all the pickups in stage 3 & 4 are the same weapon & nothing else. That weapon isn't even the best one to use imo, & every time you grab the pickup it switches to the less optimal weapon. Oh & before I forget, If you have 6 bombs at the end of a stage they reset to 3. GREAT design that!!

Here's a stage 3 & 4 video to demonstrate the aforementioned fuckery. I went into stage 3 wtih 6 bombs but no, can't have that for some reason. Also check out what happens if you die at the stage 4 boss. It goes on for an eternity thanks to the powering down system & generally bad design:

Anyway this still seemed doable with a bit of memorisation & I wanted to see the later stages since there's no video. Thought I might be the guy to put that up. Turns out that's only going to be half-right. Something about this game just screamed cheat code & when I was fucking around with the triggers I found there are actually a few cheat codes so...

Sorry everyone, here's a 6 minute cheat code 100% video guide:

For the cheats:

Hold L1 & R1 & Press Up on the D-pad for Invincibility

Hold L1 & R1 & Press Right on the D-pad for Faster Scrolling Speed

Hold L1 & R1 & Press Down on the D-pad for a Smart Bomb

With the price of this game even on sale I don't see too many people going for this 100% & with the 'quality' of the game hopefully I won't cop too much heat for posting this. Please be kind. I did Cuphead legit the other week for what that's worth ?

Edited by Drag-On-Detritus
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Bullet-4-Revenge said:

Im complete this game with my wife, I think solo it seems impossible to do it. I just found out about cheat codes. It is very unpleasant that such a complete shoot'em up will be held by different casuals, and not only hardcore players

Hey I'm sorry that was sad for you. It was a bit sad for me, I almost liked the game. Was even thinking of asking my lady to play with me as well. That might have worked out by the sounds of things.

You do understand I kinda needed to post that in case anyone went digging and wanted to know about timestamps though right? Even though the chance of that is very low I'd prefer to take a path of harm minimisation & just remove the doubt before anything would happen.

I would argue though & I'm not trying to be a prick here that this is not a complete game. There's so much of it that's wrong from a design standpoint. I have been buying and playing every shmup possible on every system I own for decades now & this one still needs work. Did you really feel that having 3 stages with power up drops that were the multi-directional blaster and nothing else was ok? Because for me I thought it felt like they forgot to program different drops and the cheats felt like an admission that they made a bit of a troll game. It's such a shame because they definitely got the feel, control & speed of the ship right.

You could always email the developers and ask them to remove the cheats like one guy did here for Patapon 2. I won't hold it against you if you do this. 

How far did you get solo just out of interest? I'm also curious about what made you think solo'ing the game was 'impossible' as in which stage and what part. Did you save any videos of the roadblock or the co-op run? I'd like to see them if so, to my knowledge there still aren't any videos of the game played all the way through for real :(

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Drag-On-Detritus said:

Hey I'm sorry that was sad for you. It was a bit sad for me, I almost liked the game. Was even thinking of asking my lady to play with me as well. That might have worked out by the sounds of things.

You do understand I kinda needed to post that in case anyone went digging and wanted to know about timestamps though right? Even though the chance of that is very low I'd prefer to take a path of harm minimisation & just remove the doubt before anything would happen.

I would argue though & I'm not trying to be a prick here that this is not a complete game. There's so much of it that's wrong from a design standpoint. I have been buying and playing every shmup possible on every system I own for decades now & this one still needs work. Did you really feel that having 3 stages with power up drops that were the multi-directional blaster and nothing else was ok? Because for me I thought it felt like they forgot to program different drops and the cheats felt like an admission that they made a bit of a troll game. It's such a shame because they definitely got the feel, control & speed of the ship right.

You could always email the developers and ask them to remove the cheats like one guy did here for Patapon 2. I won't hold it against you if you do this. 

How far did you get solo just out of interest? I'm also curious about what made you think solo'ing the game was 'impossible' as in which stage and what part. Did you save any videos of the roadblock or the co-op run? I'd like to see them if so, to my knowledge there still aren't any videos of the game played all the way through for real :(

Mate, I don't hold a sad against you. You did well to discover these cheat codes. I just don't understand the developers decision to create a very hard game and add cheats to it. I liked the game, but many things look illogical: for example, the shield modifier available on the first two simplest levels; resetting accumulated mega-shots at the beginning of each new level; when one of the players dies, it appears automatically (until all lives are over) without pressing the corresponding button. Again, the game is very good, after a complete in R-Type Dimensions, I wanted to play something like this, and Space Blaze challenged me. In solo, I reached level 5, the most important thing is to keep the weapons collected on the first level.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/09/2020 at 9:32 PM, Bullet-4-Revenge said:

Mate, I don't hold a sad against you. You did well to discover these cheat codes. I just don't understand the developers decision to create a very hard game and add cheats to it. I liked the game, but many things look illogical: for example, the shield modifier available on the first two simplest levels; resetting accumulated mega-shots at the beginning of each new level; when one of the players dies, it appears automatically (until all lives are over) without pressing the corresponding button. Again, the game is very good, after a complete in R-Type Dimensions, I wanted to play something like this, and Space Blaze challenged me. In solo, I reached level 5, the most important thing is to keep the weapons collected on the first level.

Sorry for the late reply, I definitely understand what you're saying here. I tried playing solo normally after getting 100% & made it to level 6, but that one had so little room to move & of course I lost all my weapons in lvl 5 so I wasn't getting past that. I reckon it might be possible to beat the game solo but It'd take memorizing everything & planning where to be ahead of time as well as never dying. Pretty old school to say the least. I did feel like it have the makings & feel of a pretty good shooter in many ways.

It's pretty expensive to just buy for trophies & I think there won't be too many people doing that but if they do the way I see it is at least a small developer gets a bit of cash for their work & that's always a good thing!

Btw I did notice you have some good Shmup completions there, nice work :)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Drag-On-Detritus said:

Sorry for the late reply, I definitely understand what you're saying here. I tried playing solo normally after getting 100% & made it to level 6, but that one had so little room to move & of course I lost all my weapons in lvl 5 so I wasn't getting past that. I reckon it might be possible to beat the game solo but It'd take memorizing everything & planning where to be ahead of time as well as never dying. Pretty old school to say the least. I did feel like it have the makings & feel of a pretty good shooter in many ways.

It's pretty expensive to just buy for trophies & I think there won't be too many people doing that but if they do the way I see it is at least a small developer gets a bit of cash for their work & that's always a good thing!

Btw I did notice you have some good Shmup completions there, nice work :)

No problem mate! Thank you very much?

I agree that the game is very good, for fans of retro shooters. And the graphics are nice, not pixelated. I hope something similar will be released in the future. Of the hardcore space 2D shooters, I only know Sine Mora, Soldner (both parts), R-Type Dimensions. Now can include Space Blaze in this list?

Edited by Bullet-4-Revenge
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Helyx said:

So, I can just rubber band L1+R1, press up once and turbo down on my d-pad?

That would work (also pressing forward once for double speed) but what controller can turbo the down direction? Sounds like a round of cronusmax or PS button swapping fuckery that'd potentially take as long or longer to set up than the 6 minutes it takes to go through at double speed while pressing down manually. Could be a 'false economy' but I dunno much about it I still only use my cronus to use ps3 sticks on ps4 & vita TV. Noticed there's a bunch of cool shit it can do but really CBF messing around with that software on the PC to set anything up heh.

• Like 1