What Have You Gained From Trophy Hunting?

launcestondevil

Just now, Copanele said:

Callouses on fingers (now that I am motivated to 100% crazy ass games AND my name is mayo), better reflexes in games, some online friends(well versed in anime i might add XD) annd... I guess that's it really. 

Impressive, I must admit, when I bend my thumb and see the muscle raise, I look at my wife and say "that's all me baby" ?

1 minute ago, TJ_Solo said:

About $50 from the Sony Reward program before they shut it down.

Oh it's been shut down? Unfortunately I never got the opportunity to use this service as I'm from the UK.

1 minute ago, launcestondevil said:

Oh it's been shut down? Unfortunately I never got the opportunity to use this service as I'm from the UK.

The Rewards are still a thing but they removed Trophies as a way to earn points.
Now it all about buying crap, using their Credit Card, watching their movies, etc. I haven't even bothered logging in after getting my last PSN card months ago

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Feral said:

A pile of games I haven't started and a drinking problem, jk my drinking is no problem.

Haha I know what you mean!!

10 minutes ago, LucianaRosethorn said:

Well my motives are the same as most other people, it makes you play the game to it's full extent (most of the time), it's satisfying to see what you can do when you put your mind to it and not everyone is able to do said things which you can and that delicious trophy noise.

Now what I got out of it is a different story.

• I've learned to push myself even when I think I can't do something. There's still things such as speedruns or difficulties which I suck at but there's a lot which I personally find I've improved on due to sticking to games. Something which wouldn't have happened if they weren't there.
  • It's made me go out my comfort zone and the payoff has been great, there's a lot of games I don't think I would play if it wasn't for trophies due to the game not having enough to it. What I mean is by going from point A to B, some games are really short but since there's trophies it gives me a reason to play the game since they usually make you do everything which adds a good amount of hours onto the game.
  • Finally, friends. I've talked to so many people over the years due to us both enjoying trophy hunting, some good and some bad but overall I'm happy I got to meet so many people who have something in common. If I didn't start trophy hunting I would have never found this site, without this site and the people on here I have no idea what my life would be right now. So that's definitely the one thing I'm most grateful about when it comes to getting into trophies.

Wow, this comment is everything!! ?? I relate with everything you said. Honestly, I have used this site for a while with my trophy tracking etc, but today it the first day I have got myself onto the forum community.

I haven't really spoken with other gamers, so today is a new adventure for me, and I am truly enjoying meeting others.

• Like 3

Completing games, trying games and genres I may have never touched. Use to play mostly sports games back in the day on PS 1 and PS 2. With the remasters and remakes of older PS games I have been able to catch up on ones I missed in my sports days, with trophies being added to them it has made it a joy to experience. Playing games on the hardest difficulty when it is required for trophies. If not I probably would play on easiest difficulty and that is it.

Yes trophy hunting has been good for me for the most part. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, thefinalboss_666 said:

Made some great friends, and played some great games I would have never even played if it wasn't for trophy hunting. I've only been trophy hunting since Nov 2018, but it's been an awesome year! :pimp:

I'm new to the forums so I haven't yet met many people via trophy hunting, although I have been hunting for a few years now. It is great meeting other hunters. 

• Like 1

For me it's a few things.

1. I'm really proud of myself.  I can look back and go, see that game, I did it, one hundred percent.  I don't care if anyone else sees it but it makes me happy.  While I'm not obsessively completionist, it makes me feel like I'm making some sort of progress playing my games.
  2. It limits my game spending!  This is a good thing.  I can look at a game and go, hm, do I want to 100% this game?  Yes?  Then I'll probably buy it.  No.  Well, how much do I REALLy want to play that game or can I get the same enjoyment out of a Lets Play or something.  There are a few games I waited on, to see how hard the trophies are, and then lost interest in.  So it wouldn't have been worth it in the first place.
  3. It actually pushes me to do stuff I never would have done otherwise.  For instance, I LOVE Kingdom Hearts but without trophies, eh, I can ignore the extra bosses, the bonus stuff.  But now I felt like I had to do it.  After the fact, I'm really proud.  I COULD fight that boss, I COULD do that minigame.
  4. Lastly, It got me into making guides.  I play a lot of V/Ns and while, they are typically easy to plat without trying, sometimes a certain ending or a certain CG is hard to find.  So I started writing guides for games that didn't have them and I really enjoy doing that.  Even as much as playing the games themselves!
  • Like 4

I get my moneys worth out of the game, how many people spend $20-$60-$80 sometimes even more due to collectors editions and only play 5$ worth of content then move on to the next game just to do the samething again to "keep up with trends", Am I the last generation of people that was told "Never be a follower, Always be a leader" while growing up?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, DestroyYourLife said:

I get my moneys worth out of the game, how many people spend $20-$60-$80 sometimes even more due to collectors editions and only play 5$ worth of content then move on to the next game just to do the samething again to "keep up with trends", Am I the last generation of people that was told "Never be a follower, Always be a leader" while growing up?

Too true my friend.

11 minutes ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

If you tell a large enough number of people to live by that, you'll create a paradox that destroys time and space.

Nah cause just like telling a child not to do something then they do it anyway, telling people to be leaders rather then a follower most will end up doing the opposite anyways

Okay, for me trophy hunting is really important to me because it gives you everything available in the game, I can't remember what game but it was on my old PSN account, when I earned that one gold trophy I got a new costume and I was shocked and from that one time I started hunting these trophies.

Also, hunting trophies gave me a chance to know a lot of people that I know today and earned them as friends too...

• Like 1

I never really used to care about completing side missions or picking up every single collectable. It was always about beating the main story of a game then moving on to the next one. Then I started to feel regret about not playing a game to its entirety, so I would come back to it a few years later, beat the story and then collect the remaining trophies for a platinum.

And that made me enjoy trophy hunting a lot more.

• Like 1

While I have some good achievements in real life, gaming rewards me unlike anything else. Intrinsically, on top of entertainment I get the feeling of mastery and having a little digital token to remind you of what you've achieved and be able to share with others (and have others share with you), making it very socially satisfying as you can be both colaberative and co-operative :) 

Extrinsically, gaming and trophy hunting has helped me with goal setting, planning, commitment (drugery of work/exercise is nothing compared to grinding WOW for thousands of hours), researching (both looking for and appraising guides etc but also devloping and testing your own hypothesis to beat a game), accept loss and be gracious in victory. It's helped me find others who feel the same way which I am very grateful for. In a very small circle, I do brag about the hardest plats I've attained for the banter :) Also, I think it's a hobby that's kept me out of trouble for a very low cost, I could easily have become addicted to something other than gaming.

• Like 1