What Have You Gained From Trophy Hunting?

launcestondevil

Mainly going out of my way to complete games I otherwise normally wouldn't which I think helped me appreciate games a bit more good or bad. I used to just beat a game and be done with it but now I can't help but wonder how I did that outside of just replaying for the story or something.

I also played other genres I normally wouldn't like JRPGs or games like Yakuza or Resident Evil and despite the grinds for a lot of these games it's nice to look back and think "Yeah, I did all that."

I think they also did help improve my problem solving a bit more. I used to have a real hard time beating games on Normal difficulty because I would never really try to grind or get special items or whatever and I would sometimes just not be able to beat a certain boss but knowing there's a trophy for getting sidequests done and this usually means leveling up a lot or getting a special item that would help out in the end. It was really prevalent in JRPGs or just RPGs in general where I would either brute force my way through or just give up because I didn't know what to do. I don't remember what game helped with this exactly (Mass Effect 2 comes to mind but it could have been anything) but I know it was because of going for trophies that I wound up solving these issues a lot better and find out about things I would never have found out on my own.

• Like 3

I gained determination while trophy hunting for my favorite games I enjoy especially those luck, difficulty, or online trophies in games. I have fun trophy hunting at the moment. Before trophies were introduced, I mainly just wanted to beat my games and sometimes do those side missions if games have them. 

• Like 3

It made me appreciate more the games I like and try games that I probably otherwise wouldn't have. I thought I would never be able to beat uncharted on crushing, but going for the platinum made me learn the mechanics and patterns and overcome the challenge.

There's also a sense of community. I got out of my comfort zone and reached out to people through gaming sessions and this very forum.

And a shout out to the dedicated people who create guides, they're the best.

• Like 3

I've just gain personal satisfaction and boasting rights to all my friends, none of who are trophy hunters. Trophy hunting has also allowed me to fully explore a game, enjoy all the side quests and if it's an expensive game, it makes me feel that I'm getting the best out of it for the amount I paid. 

• Like 1

It probably did in some way help me discover a few games I would not have played otherwise. Some turned out to be new favorites, but many I could probably have lived without. However, I think I have already gained the little wisdom there is to gain from trophies and am back to just playing games for the heck of it, with a few new franchises and talents to follow.

• Like 1

Forewarning, I used to achievement hunt on Xbox and haven't been playing PS4 for long (my backlog to complete is ridiculous right now to get back to where I was on Xbox). So my trophy list is not impressive at all so bear with me.

For me, trophies/achievements act as a sort of "end game" progression system. I play a lot of games that either don't have progression systems/endgame content and trophies typically allow me to continue playing a game after it's "done". Sometimes it's collecting everything, using a skill in a certain way, discovering all locations or difficulty related. It's just fun to "finish" games completely and do all these quirky things. There's always something in the back of my head that says "Hey, you can't complete that" that makes me go back and finish something just to say "Aha, I did it!". Rather silly to say, but there are a lot of games I wouldn't play if they didn't have trophies simply because the game itself wouldn't give me enough content to make me feel satisfied with my purchase. I enjoy a good game with a good trophy list. It's really easy to tell which lists were thought out versus... tacked onto the end of a game. 

Honestly speaking though, one of the dangers of trophy/achievement hunting for some people is that it can take over their lives. It feels nice earning an achievement in a game and you feel that little happiness rush. Part of being a good hunter imo is balancing real life vs. video games. Hunting has helped me take more pride in finding real life accomplishments so I don't feel like a slave to accomplishments in video games. Hunting has given me a new hobby for me to compete against myself and complete games, but it definitely isn't my life. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

An obsession and tons of games in my backlog, lol.

Jokes aside, I've met good people that I've befriended, also a few assholes.
I've seen groups pull together and get that seemingly-impossible task done, and some groups just fall flat.

Voice chat and group management being the only effective way to complete some objectives I've had to work on my organizational and management skills, definitely nothing I thought that gaming could do for me.

It feeds my OCD, perfectionist, "do things the right way" tendencies, sometimes for the better, other times for the worse.

Enjoyed games far more than some of my friends that just stroll through the latest trend or whatever they find super interesting and then drop off after a few days,

not sure if that's an accomplishment but I like the feeling of starting something, exploring it fully and finishing it at full mastery and completion.

My trophy list is a history record publicly visible but something I consider only for myself, kinda like a CV.
Something to look back on and be proud off.

Browsing through my PSNProfiles overview brings back memories of how tough a game was, how fun/frustrating it was, if I enjoyed playing it with others, etc.

I don't accumulate platinums for bragging rights or to show off, gaming for me is a personal thing that I happen to enjoy together with my friends.

For me it will never be about comparing myself to others, some are way better than me in different kinds of games, and in some ways I'm better than others in certain kind of things.

In other words, trophy hunting is also a means of differentiating yourself from others and creating your own playstyle and track record.

Because along with bipolar I have ADHD and so I hyperfocus on things, just so happens that it is trophy hunting. Moving from game to game means I'm getting constant stimulation and constant reward. I also like the bragging rights. I'm not like most others in the top 200 that only play 1hr long platinums, I have so much pride in the fact that I have 69 ultra rare platinums plus countless rare and uncommon ones.
Trophy hunting has allowed me to develop my twitch channel and push me onwards and upwards as I share all my trophy hunting experience. I plan to be the unquestionable leader of trophy hunting on twitch.

• Like 1