Jump to content

Children of Sissna Difficulty Tips


IntrepidHunter

Recommended Posts

  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I like Soulslikes and I’m fairly confident I could earn this trophy but I’ve been reading a lot about it and people make it sound like hell on earth. Are they exaggerating or is it really that frustrating?

 

Can CoS mode be made easier if you can find a dedicated co-op partner to run through the game with you?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/28/2022 at 0:42 PM, dieselmanchild said:

I like Soulslikes and I’m fairly confident I could earn this trophy but I’ve been reading a lot about it and people make it sound like hell on earth. Are they exaggerating or is it really that frustrating?

 

Can CoS mode be made easier if you can find a dedicated co-op partner to run through the game with you?

 

Ever figure this one out? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2022-08-12 at 0:55 PM, MikeCheck-- said:

 

Ever figure this one out? 


Not yet. I’ve been asking around a bit amongst friends and the various trophy groups I’m in but haven’t yet managed to speak to anybody who has played this game and can elaborate on the Children of Sissna difficulty. There is still time though. Ashen is one of many games I’ve downloaded from the PSExtra catalog and I haven’t got around to starting it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:


Not yet. I’ve been asking around a bit amongst friends and the various trophy groups I’m in but haven’t yet managed to speak to anybody who has played this game and can elaborate on the Children of Sissna difficulty. There is still time though. Ashen is one of many games I’ve downloaded from the PSExtra catalog and I haven’t got around to starting it.

 

I've got it downloaded, and was planning to start it soon . . . I'm just a bit cautious to do so knowing how frustrating this difficulty is. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, MikeCheck-- said:

 

I've got it downloaded, and was planning to start it soon . . . I'm just a bit cautious to do so knowing how frustrating this difficulty is. 

 

With a solid coop partner it's very doable. 

After doing the normal run you should know the game well enough to not struggle that much. Also Javelins are your best friend. 

 

My partner and me only kinda struggled at the last boss but you can join your mate with your normal Charakter and tank the Boss for him. 

 

Also you could do 2 full playtroughs were 1 person plays at normal and the other at the cos mode. You can still join each other. But i dont think thats really necessary 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Aviditas90 said:

 

With a solid coop partner it's very doable. 

After doing the normal run you should know the game well enough to not struggle that much. Also Javelins are your best friend. 

 

My partner and me only kinda struggled at the last boss but you can join your mate with your normal Charakter and tank the Boss for him. 

 

Also you could do 2 full playtroughs were 1 person plays at normal and the other at the cos mode. You can still join each other. But i dont think thats really necessary 


How does the multiplayer work with a partner? From what I read before, it sounded like Ashen has more of a drop in/drop out style of multiplayer. Some people were saying it’s not always clear when your partner is even controlled by an AI vs a human as they just sort of “appear” in your game periodically. The PSNP guide even says this can actually hamper your run if you’re constantly swapping between human and AI partners and suggests possibly turning off the multiplayer.
 

But you’re saying it is possible to have a dedicated partner to play through the game with? This would certainly make things a lot easier! ?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:


How does the multiplayer work with a partner? From what I read before, it sounded like Ashen has more of a drop in/drop out style of multiplayer. Some people were saying it’s not always clear when your partner is even controlled by an AI vs a human as they just sort of “appear” in your game periodically. The PSNP guide even says this can actually hamper your run if you’re constantly swapping between human and AI partners and suggests possibly turning off the multiplayer.
 

But you’re saying it is possible to have a dedicated partner to play through the game with? This would certainly make things a lot easier! 1f642.png

 

https://www.ashen-game.com/post/ashen-multiplayer-faq

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:


How does the multiplayer work with a partner? 1f642.png

 

You can make a password for your friend to use and join. Apparently both need to be around the same story area? I'd be down to play with you! We'd have to do two runs, or at least until we unlock CoS mode.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:


How does the multiplayer work with a partner? From what I read before, it sounded like Ashen has more of a drop in/drop out style of multiplayer. Some people were saying it’s not always clear when your partner is even controlled by an AI vs a human as they just sort of “appear” in your game periodically. The PSNP guide even says this can actually hamper your run if you’re constantly swapping between human and AI partners and suggests possibly turning off the multiplayer.
 

But you’re saying it is possible to have a dedicated partner to play through the game with? This would certainly make things a lot easier! 1f642.png

 

You can set a password so at least no random can join. You have to be at the same story progress and stand at the same spot to find each other. Also you lose connection to the other player when going back to town which makes the start pretty annoying. 

It can take some minutes to find your partner and it's really not the best solution but eventually you will find your partner after some time. 

 

Kinda would suggest doing the first area solo since it's a lot going back to town and finding each other again and again would probably take longer as doing the quests solo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Aviditas90 said:

 

You can set a password so at least no random can join. You have to be at the same story progress and stand at the same spot to find each other. Also you lose connection to the other player when going back to town which makes the start pretty annoying. 

It can take some minutes to find your partner and it's really not the best solution but eventually you will find your partner after some time. 

 

Kinda would suggest doing the first area solo since it's a lot going back to town and finding each other again and again would probably take longer as doing the quests solo


Thank you for the info! What is the first area exactly? Up until the first boss?

 

Sorry for all the questions but I like to know these things before I start games usually. ?

 

7 hours ago, MikeCheck-- said:

 

You can make a password for your friend to use and join. Apparently both need to be around the same story area? I'd be down to play with you! We'd have to do two runs, or at least until we unlock CoS mode.


That would be cool man. When were you thinking of starting? I’ve got a few games in the works right now so I didn’t really have a start planned, I just knew I was gonna hop in soon.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dieselmanchild said:


Thank you for the info! What is the first area exactly? Up until the first boss?

 

Sorry for all the questions but I like to know these things before I start games usually. 1f604.png

 


That would be cool man. When were you thinking of starting? I’ve got a few games in the works right now so I didn’t really have a start planned, I just knew I was gonna hop in soon.

 

The areas are seperated pretty clearly so once you see the map you'll definitly know. 

 

I'm not sure if the first area had a boss / dungeon if so that should definitly be done coop but the rest in that area is not really worth it. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

That would be cool man. When were you thinking of starting? I’ve got a few games in the works right now so I didn’t really have a start planned, I just knew I was gonna hop in soon.

 

I convinced my IRL buddy to join me, we played last night but had lots of issues connecting (even with a private code) - - - partly because we linked after the first quest and kept returning to the village and losing connection. He got frustrated. I just told him this morning we should clear the first area so we aren't frequenting the village and disconnecting as much, but I don't know if he will join. Hopefully, you can start soon and I can tell you which mission I'm on (I'm not far into it).

 

If you'd like to start it sooner, please add me! I don't want to convince my pal to trudge through a game he doesn't enjoy - plus he isn't a trophy hunter.

Edited by MikeCheck--
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

So, I’m suffering through this solo. A couple of early points:

 

  • Before the Ukkoto boss, go into the next area and finish the quests. Bataran tells you not to, but hunting the dogs and running to get Jokell’s thing gives you more health (a LOT more relative to what you have), and makes the fight much easier.
  • You have access to the final dungeon from the beginning of the game. While you can’t just go there and win, you can clear out Sapient Roots and even a few Twin Sapient Roots. Remember that when you upgrade your weapons, so too do your AI companions, so the sooner you get to level 10, the better.
  • Feathers are useful, but don’t think they change the world or anything. A few extra points of stamina are always welcome, and the health boost is actually quite large relative to your feeble base, but you’ll still get one-shotted by large enemies and bosses (and a few smaller ones).
  • You can use spears to great effect. For example, the twins that guard the Cunning pestle give a whopping 7500 scoria, and they are trivial if you run and stand on the walls of the nearby house. The non-glowing hound in the side quest line only gives 830 scoria, but sometimes drops a large scoria sack, which is worth 10,000.
  • Unless I’m missing something, the shortcut in Amiren’s lair doesn’t work, so don’t bother. You just don’t have the health to survive the fall.
  • the iron club is a great weapon. You get it early, and it makes mince meat out of shield bearing enemies. Moreover, the sprint and spin attack knocks over small enemies 100% of the time. While I’m not there yet, this seems very useful in the Shadow of the Ashen battle.
  • I don’t much use 1-handed weapons, but the shovel seems to stand over all of them. You just swing it so much faster than other weapons.

But yeah - the AI leaves much to be desired in this mode. Poor design choice not to give some player control over AI nature - I would have much preferred something like, “Attack the enemy I’m attacking!” or “Play cautiously!”.

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/6/2022 at 8:02 PM, starcrunch061 said:

I give up. This game sucks in SP mode. 

Don't give up! You can do it!

 

I'm starting this mode tonight and being honest I found the game very frustrating on normal so I'm dreading it haha! But with determination we both can do it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2022 at 1:54 AM, jonesey46 said:

Don't give up! You can do it!

 

I'm starting this mode tonight and being honest I found the game very frustrating on normal so I'm dreading it haha! But with determination we both can do it.

Seriously, this mode sucks. Little issues that could be looked past in the regular mode are game breaking in this garbage mode. It was annoying but not a huge problem when you would swing completely through enemies but when the killing blow completely whiffs for no reason then they one shot you, that’s so shitty.

 

I’m not quite ready to throw in the towel but I’m not even to the second boss yet and I’m

about fed up with super cheap deaths. I can’t even imagine how awful it must get in the dungeons that are too long with zero checkpoints and a boss at the end.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

@jonesey46 Huge congrats man! Well done!

 

I’ve still got this game queued up and was planning to get around to it sometime, but man the new replies in this thread make it sound so awful! I keep pushing it further down the backlog lol. Your tips are super helpful though, especially the speed run skips and other little tricks that sound like this could actually be doable without too much frustration. Appreciate the post dude and once again, big congrats!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 10 months later...

I had this crazy glitch happen the other day. I wasn't quite sure what to do when it happened, so I was hesitant to get too close at first. If you've ever run through Seat of the Matriarch on CoS mode, you'll understand. 

 

 

I'm just going to edit in any videos here that I'll make for Ashen.

 

Here's Riak. Holy hell, he is so fast and unpredictable. Also, the ai always commits sepukku on the way to him, so don't ever expect to have your ai for this fight.

 

 

Edited by Kittens Are Awesome
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 8 months later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...