Children of Sissna Difficulty Tips

IntrepidHunter

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I like Soulslikes and I’m fairly confident I could earn this trophy but I’ve been reading a lot about it and people make it sound like hell on earth. Are they exaggerating or is it really that frustrating?

Can CoS mode be made easier if you can find a dedicated co-op partner to run through the game with you?

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/28/2022 at 0:42 PM, dieselmanchild said:

I like Soulslikes and I’m fairly confident I could earn this trophy but I’ve been reading a lot about it and people make it sound like hell on earth. Are they exaggerating or is it really that frustrating?

Can CoS mode be made easier if you can find a dedicated co-op partner to run through the game with you?

Ever figure this one out? 

On 2022-08-12 at 0:55 PM, MikeCheck-- said:

Ever figure this one out? 

Not yet. I’ve been asking around a bit amongst friends and the various trophy groups I’m in but haven’t yet managed to speak to anybody who has played this game and can elaborate on the Children of Sissna difficulty. There is still time though. Ashen is one of many games I’ve downloaded from the PSExtra catalog and I haven’t got around to starting it.

22 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

Not yet. I’ve been asking around a bit amongst friends and the various trophy groups I’m in but haven’t yet managed to speak to anybody who has played this game and can elaborate on the Children of Sissna difficulty. There is still time though. Ashen is one of many games I’ve downloaded from the PSExtra catalog and I haven’t got around to starting it.

I've got it downloaded, and was planning to start it soon . . . I'm just a bit cautious to do so knowing how frustrating this difficulty is. 

31 minutes ago, MikeCheck-- said:

I've got it downloaded, and was planning to start it soon . . . I'm just a bit cautious to do so knowing how frustrating this difficulty is. 

With a solid coop partner it's very doable. 

After doing the normal run you should know the game well enough to not struggle that much. Also Javelins are your best friend. 

My partner and me only kinda struggled at the last boss but you can join your mate with your normal Charakter and tank the Boss for him. 

Also you could do 2 full playtroughs were 1 person plays at normal and the other at the cos mode. You can still join each other. But i dont think thats really necessary 

50 minutes ago, Aviditas90 said:

With a solid coop partner it's very doable. 

After doing the normal run you should know the game well enough to not struggle that much. Also Javelins are your best friend. 

My partner and me only kinda struggled at the last boss but you can join your mate with your normal Charakter and tank the Boss for him. 

Also you could do 2 full playtroughs were 1 person plays at normal and the other at the cos mode. You can still join each other. But i dont think thats really necessary 

How does the multiplayer work with a partner? From what I read before, it sounded like Ashen has more of a drop in/drop out style of multiplayer. Some people were saying it’s not always clear when your partner is even controlled by an AI vs a human as they just sort of “appear” in your game periodically. The PSNP guide even says this can actually hamper your run if you’re constantly swapping between human and AI partners and suggests possibly turning off the multiplayer.

But you’re saying it is possible to have a dedicated partner to play through the game with? This would certainly make things a lot easier! ?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

How does the multiplayer work with a partner? From what I read before, it sounded like Ashen has more of a drop in/drop out style of multiplayer. Some people were saying it’s not always clear when your partner is even controlled by an AI vs a human as they just sort of “appear” in your game periodically. The PSNP guide even says this can actually hamper your run if you’re constantly swapping between human and AI partners and suggests possibly turning off the multiplayer.

But you’re saying it is possible to have a dedicated partner to play through the game with? This would certainly make things a lot easier! 1f642.png

https://www.ashen-game.com/post/ashen-multiplayer-faq

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

How does the multiplayer work with a partner? 1f642.png

You can make a password for your friend to use and join. Apparently both need to be around the same story area? I'd be down to play with you! We'd have to do two runs, or at least until we unlock CoS mode.

3 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

But you’re saying it is possible to have a dedicated partner to play through the game with? This would certainly make things a lot easier! 1f642.png

You can set a password so at least no random can join. You have to be at the same story progress and stand at the same spot to find each other. Also you lose connection to the other player when going back to town which makes the start pretty annoying. 

It can take some minutes to find your partner and it's really not the best solution but eventually you will find your partner after some time. 

Kinda would suggest doing the first area solo since it's a lot going back to town and finding each other again and again would probably take longer as doing the quests solo

5 hours ago, Aviditas90 said:

You can set a password so at least no random can join. You have to be at the same story progress and stand at the same spot to find each other. Also you lose connection to the other player when going back to town which makes the start pretty annoying. 

It can take some minutes to find your partner and it's really not the best solution but eventually you will find your partner after some time. 

Kinda would suggest doing the first area solo since it's a lot going back to town and finding each other again and again would probably take longer as doing the quests solo

Thank you for the info! What is the first area exactly? Up until the first boss?

Sorry for all the questions but I like to know these things before I start games usually. ?

7 hours ago, MikeCheck-- said:

You can make a password for your friend to use and join. Apparently both need to be around the same story area? I'd be down to play with you! We'd have to do two runs, or at least until we unlock CoS mode.

That would be cool man. When were you thinking of starting? I’ve got a few games in the works right now so I didn’t really have a start planned, I just knew I was gonna hop in soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dieselmanchild said:

Thank you for the info! What is the first area exactly? Up until the first boss?

Sorry for all the questions but I like to know these things before I start games usually. 1f604.png

That would be cool man. When were you thinking of starting? I’ve got a few games in the works right now so I didn’t really have a start planned, I just knew I was gonna hop in soon.

The areas are seperated pretty clearly so once you see the map you'll definitly know. 

I'm not sure if the first area had a boss / dungeon if so that should definitly be done coop but the rest in that area is not really worth it. 

14 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

I convinced my IRL buddy to join me, we played last night but had lots of issues connecting (even with a private code) - - - partly because we linked after the first quest and kept returning to the village and losing connection. He got frustrated. I just told him this morning we should clear the first area so we aren't frequenting the village and disconnecting as much, but I don't know if he will join. Hopefully, you can start soon and I can tell you which mission I'm on (I'm not far into it).

If you'd like to start it sooner, please add me! I don't want to convince my pal to trudge through a game he doesn't enjoy - plus he isn't a trophy hunter.

Edited by MikeCheck--

• 3 weeks later...

So, I’m suffering through this solo. A couple of early points:

• Before the Ukkoto boss, go into the next area and finish the quests. Bataran tells you not to, but hunting the dogs and running to get Jokell’s thing gives you more health (a LOT more relative to what you have), and makes the fight much easier.
  • You have access to the final dungeon from the beginning of the game. While you can’t just go there and win, you can clear out Sapient Roots and even a few Twin Sapient Roots. Remember that when you upgrade your weapons, so too do your AI companions, so the sooner you get to level 10, the better.
  • Feathers are useful, but don’t think they change the world or anything. A few extra points of stamina are always welcome, and the health boost is actually quite large relative to your feeble base, but you’ll still get one-shotted by large enemies and bosses (and a few smaller ones).
  • You can use spears to great effect. For example, the twins that guard the Cunning pestle give a whopping 7500 scoria, and they are trivial if you run and stand on the walls of the nearby house. The non-glowing hound in the side quest line only gives 830 scoria, but sometimes drops a large scoria sack, which is worth 10,000.
  • Unless I’m missing something, the shortcut in Amiren’s lair doesn’t work, so don’t bother. You just don’t have the health to survive the fall.
  • the iron club is a great weapon. You get it early, and it makes mince meat out of shield bearing enemies. Moreover, the sprint and spin attack knocks over small enemies 100% of the time. While I’m not there yet, this seems very useful in the Shadow of the Ashen battle.
  • I don’t much use 1-handed weapons, but the shovel seems to stand over all of them. You just swing it so much faster than other weapons.

But yeah - the AI leaves much to be desired in this mode. Poor design choice not to give some player control over AI nature - I would have much preferred something like, “Attack the enemy I’m attacking!” or “Play cautiously!”.

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 1

On 9/6/2022 at 8:02 PM, starcrunch061 said:

I give up. This game sucks in SP mode. 

Don't give up! You can do it!

I'm starting this mode tonight and being honest I found the game very frustrating on normal so I'm dreading it haha! But with determination we both can do it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2022 at 1:54 AM, jonesey46 said:

Don't give up! You can do it!

I'm starting this mode tonight and being honest I found the game very frustrating on normal so I'm dreading it haha! But with determination we both can do it.

Seriously, this mode sucks. Little issues that could be looked past in the regular mode are game breaking in this garbage mode. It was annoying but not a huge problem when you would swing completely through enemies but when the killing blow completely whiffs for no reason then they one shot you, that’s so shitty.

I’m not quite ready to throw in the towel but I’m not even to the second boss yet and I’m

about fed up with super cheap deaths. I can’t even imagine how awful it must get in the dungeons that are too long with zero checkpoints and a boss at the end.

• 2 weeks later...

I did it!!

I played the whole thing in single player, I actually turned off multiplayer in the menu cause I didn't want to lose my partner mid fight due to connection issues or whatever.

You don't need feathers. It certainly can't hurt to collect a few but I never went out of my way to get any.

I completed all quests, obviously, to get max health and stamina.

I used the cleaving axe for the whole game and upgraded it as fast as possible.

Once you can trade for medium scoria stashes, do it. I lost so much scoria trying to get back to where I died and then got one shotted by a random spear or enemy. So yeah, invest in scoria stashes. You pay 500 over to get them but compared to losing thousands from dying, its a no brainer.

You CAN use the amiren dungeon skip on this mode, someone above says you can't cause you don't have enough health to survive the fall but you absolutely can. Just make sure you've done all the available quests before going in.

Amirens fight is easy. Keep your distance and bait the lantern throw, destroy the lantern asap and then in phase two keep your distance to bait the run and swing, hit once then repeat.

Once I got the spear throw teleport ability I had a speedrun video by my side and copied the runners insane spear throws to skip massive areas.

The temple is a nightmare but you can use a speedrun video like I did to skip most of it with spear throws. Shadow of ashen boss fight is a doozy but someone discovered a great cheese strat on here recently, so check that out, it's a life saver.

And finally Sissna. She's fucking awful. I hate her so goddamn much. For the first phase just bully her, stay close, learn to dodge her attacks and hopefully your AI partner distracts her enough for you to take her down quickly. Make sure to use Dwale potions, these are a must. And make sure to have the relic on that shoots the head orb things.

For the second phase use spears. Craft as many high damage ones as you can and then fill the rest of your inventory with the bone ones. Kite her round the lava pool and fire away, never let her be right in front of you, always be on the next side of the pool when she moves round. It took around 4 or 5 stacks of bone spears to do it. When she does her running round the arena thing, move away from where shes going and when she eventually catches up, roll into her as she lifts her legs to attack, then roll roll roll to get away from her follow up attack. It takes a while and she can kill you in one hit with any of her attacks so you do need to be careful, and there is some luck involved.

Back up your save too! Right before sissna, that way you can get any potions and spears back without having to spend more.

Good luck!

• Like 4

@jonesey46 Huge congrats man! Well done!

I’ve still got this game queued up and was planning to get around to it sometime, but man the new replies in this thread make it sound so awful! I keep pushing it further down the backlog lol. Your tips are super helpful though, especially the speed run skips and other little tricks that sound like this could actually be doable without too much frustration. Appreciate the post dude and once again, big congrats!!

• 10 months later...

I had this crazy glitch happen the other day. I wasn't quite sure what to do when it happened, so I was hesitant to get too close at first. If you've ever run through Seat of the Matriarch on CoS mode, you'll understand. 

I'm just going to edit in any videos here that I'll make for Ashen.

Here's Riak. Holy hell, he is so fast and unpredictable. Also, the ai always commits sepukku on the way to him, so don't ever expect to have your ai for this fight.

Edited by Kittens Are Awesome