I have a query related to how overall completion percentage is calculated.

Flipendo52

Say my completion rating is 70%.  

If I start a new game and get it over 70% but less than 100% how does that affect my overall completion percentage? does it increase because its higher than my average or does it decrease because its another game that isnt 100% complete?  

I realise that this is probably going to make me look stupid because I am fairly certain this is just a maths question. 

I am bad at maths.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Sly Ripper said:

Not always. It's based on trophy points/available trophy points - platinum points both sides.

You're thinking of average completion, which is in the stats page but not the same.

I sure did not expect the owner of the site to reply :D  

So does that mean they dont correlate?

1 hour ago, Sly Ripper said:

Not always. It's based on trophy points/available trophy points - platinum points both sides.

If that's how it's calculated, then the answer should be "yes", shouldn't it? If adding a >70% completed game to a 70% completion profile doesn't increase their completion % then you're calculating something wrong.

e.g., if the person has 1000 available points and has earned 700 of them (for a completion % of 70%), then adding a >70% completed game will boost that completion %, regardless of how many points it has. Adding 701/1000 moves their completion percentage to 1401/2000 = 70.05%, adding 71/100 moves their completion percentage to 771/1100 = 70.09%, adding 7001/10000 moves their completion percentage to 7701/11000 = 70.009%, and so on. In other words:

37 minutes ago, Sly Ripper said:

it will affect the completion differently depending on how many points (and grade of trophies) the game has.

This is true, but in all cases the completion percentage still goes up. It goes up by different amounts, but it still goes up.

Mathematically, this is because if a,b,c,d are integers such that a/b > c/d then (a+c)/(b+d) > c/d too. Here a/b is the completion percentage of the new game, c/d is the old completion percentage of the profile, and (a+c)/(b+d) is the new completion percentage of the profile.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, NathanielJohn said:

If that's how it's calculated, then the answer should be "yes", shouldn't it? If adding a >70% completed game to a 70% completion profile doesn't increase their completion % then you're calculating something wrong.

e.g., if the person has 1000 available points and has earned 700 of them (for a completion % of 70%), then adding a >70% completed game will boost that completion %, regardless of how many points it has. Adding 701/1000 moves their completion percentage to 1401/2000 = 70.05%, adding 71/100 moves their completion percentage to 771/1100 = 70.09%, adding 7001/10000 moves their completion percentage to 7701/11000 = 70.009%, and so on. In other words:

This is true, but in all cases the completion percentage still goes up. It goes up by different amounts, but it still goes up.

Mathematically, this is because if a,b,c,d are integers such that a/b > c/d then (a+c)/(b+d) > c/d too. Here a/b is the completion percentage of the new game, c/d is the old completion percentage of the profile, and (a+c)/(b+d) is the new completion percentage of the 

You forgot to take into account that 70% of completion in a game doesnt correlate to having earned 70% of the total available points for that trophy list since platinum is awarded after reaching 100% on base game trophy list and it adds 180 more points to the total available but it doesn't affect the "completion" rate per se. That is also affected when the game have DLC trophies, which complicates the math involved even more.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Otonio_Bruno said:

You forgot to take into account that 70% of completion in a game doesnt correlate to having earned 70% of the total available points for that trophy list since platinum is awarded after reaching 100% on base game trophy list and it adds 180 more points to the total available but it doesn't affect the "completion" rate per se. That is also affected when the game have DLC trophies, which complicates the math involved even more.

But the platinum is counted in *neither* your total completion % nor in the game's completion %, so I don't see how it's relevant? And how do the DLC trophies make it even more complicated? It's still just (points gotten)/(available points) for both percentages.

Edited by NathanielJohn
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Correct, by increasing that one game you also increase your overall completion. On the flipside of that, adding a new game will decrease your overall completion (only after earning at least one trophy from the new game). 

In my experience, a bronze increases my overall completion by .1% but a gold increases it .6% if I remember correctly. 

Edited by da-Noob123
Added more information

21 minutes ago, Misshandlad said:

So if I go back to an unfinished game, 1 gold trophy will up my total overall completion (not just game completion) as much as 2 silvers or 4 bronze trophies?

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but figured it was easier than starting a new thread.

3 silvers or 6 bronze, but yes.

Plat: 180

Gold: 90

Silver: 30

Bronze 15

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just tested this on my newer account, the completion percentage before I started Call of Duty Classic was 78.40%, got 82% completion on the game and my overall trophy completion has decreased to 78.30%. So unless average completion stat is delayed or something it seems like it decreased my overall completion%?

33 minutes ago, Flipendo52 said:

Just tested this on my newer account, the completion percentage before I started Call of Duty Classic was 78.40%, got 82% completion on the game and my overall trophy completion has decreased to 78.30%. So unless average completion stat is delayed or something it seems like it decreased my overall completion%?

Your completion rate is calculated as total_number_of_available_points / total_number_of_earned_points and since each game has a different number of points they affect the global completion rate differently.

e.g. 82% in CoD Classic (1320pts) has lower impact compared to 82% in Saints Row The Third (1890pts)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HusKy said:

Your completion rate is calculated as total_number_of_available_points / total_number_of_earned_points and since each game has a different number of points they affect the global completion rate differently.

e.g. 82% in CoD Classic (1320pts) has lower impact compared to 82% in Saints Row The Third (1890pts)

Thank you, is there a way to view game percentage by points? Or do you just have to calculate it