PepsiMaxVanilla

Suggestion: Upvote/Post Ratio

9 posts in this topic

This has been on my mind for a while and I don't know if anyone has thought about this before me, but why can't we have a ratio displaying alongside our upvote and post count on our profiles? Just like Kill/Death ratios in online shooter games, there should be a numeric statistic on this site where you start with one's upvotes and divide that by their content count.

Here are some examples:

User 1: Me (as of submitting this topic)

103 upvotes.

65 posts.

103 ÷ 65 = 1.584615384615385 (this number is too long so let's make it 1.58).

User 2: Profile_X

579 upvotes.

436 posts.

579 ÷ 436 = 1.327981651376147 (like previously, this number is too long so let's make it 1.32).

User 3: Profile_Y

9602 upvotes.

14930 posts.

9602 ÷ 14930 = 0.6431346282652378 (again, this number is to long so let's make it 0.64).

User 4: Profile_Z

17238 upvotes.

5819 posts.

17238 ÷ 5819 = 2.962364667468637 (once more, this number is too long so let's make it 2.96).

You shouldn't have any trouble understanding this as this is really just simple division between 2 number (upvotes must go before posts) and for those familiar with K/Ds. I also think it would be a great idea to have the option to disable this stat for themselves (even though others could just calculate it anyway). I don't wish to see this as some form of hierarchy between users on these forums.

And what about all the inflated numbers on comments that make no sense or provide any insight, but get tons of upvotes anyway just because the poster said something funny?

Let that sink in; the idea is not cool.

19 hours ago, DaivRules said:

What are you looking to solve by having this ratio displayed?

Are you saying that forum features can only be added if it’s fixing a problem? There was never a problem from the beginning and if there was one, wouldn’t I want to change it rather than create anything more for it.

Unless my suggestion is the problem? If so, did you actually read the topic where I said there can be an option to disable the feature? (I’m gonna have to assume you did because you’re a mod).

19 hours ago, Gamehelp said:

And what about all the inflated numbers on comments that make no sense or provide any insight, but get tons of upvotes anyway just because the poster said something funny?

Care to give any names?

19 hours ago, AK-1138 said:

Do the math yourself

This is why I suggested it. Many features exist so that users don’t have to do that.

May I remind people that suggestion threads focus on an idea of what one has thought would be a great addition to PSNP. You may not agree with what the OP believes but it would be great if replies were more like “I can see where you’re coming from, but...” instead of “just do it yourself you lazy ****. -_-”

Someone please just close this topic or better, delete it entirely. How ironic for me to create a topic about reputation only to gain the complete opposite.

I find it funny that you needed to give four examples of how to compute a ratio between two numbers 😅

Personally I wouldn't care for this feature. Not even sure if it could be implemented, as if I remember correctly the forums are third party and Sly doesn't implement changes himself. 

3 minutes ago, PepsiMaxVanilla said:

Are you saying that forum features can only be added if it’s fixing a problem? There was never a problem from the beginning and if there was one, wouldn’t I want to change it rather than create anything more for it.

Unless my suggestion is the problem? If so, did you actually read the topic where I said there can be an option to disable the feature? (I’m gonna have to assume you did because you’re a mod).

Someone please just close this topic or better, delete it entirely. How ironic for me to create a topic about reputation only to gain the complete opposite.

I was asking what you’re looking to get out of that number. What do you think it represents so that you could make the case that it could provide some benefit to members of the site? Features ideally, yes, solve a problem or provide a benefit. 

The way “reputation” is implemented on the site is essentially a free-for-all. There’s no guide or consistent way it’s used so comparing two peoples number to each other provides no real data. It’s just a number. Dividing by post count, since it has no real data, results in another number, sure, but there is no context.

I was asking for more input about what you think that resulting number would actually represent. Since that wasn’t explained in your opening post.

I had the same thought myself a while ago, but realized if you go into sections like the forum games, the ratio of posts to reputation is heavily skewed versus consistent posters in just status updates. Since the same reputation system applies in all sections of the forums, I couldn’t think of any valuable way that the resulting number would indicate consistent information. I came to the conclusion that it would encourage people to farm reputation (as has been done) in another form of competition that ended up just being spam on the site. I thought maybe you had different insight and was curious what that was.

I can lock or remove the suggestion if you still want, but any new idea is going to get detractors. They don’t all deserve a response. 

3 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

if you go into sections like the forum games, the ratio of posts to reputation is heavily skewed versus consistent posters in just status updates. Since the same reputation system applies in all sections of the forums, I couldn’t think of any valuable way that the resulting number would indicate consistent information.

^ This.

Not all rep is from forum posts. Some people have thousands from only facebook status updates.

Bear in mind, this forum system is a 3rd party solution. Unless there's a plugin for this, it most likely won't be added.