If you needed another reason not to buy this game

Crispy_Oglop

I thought i'd share this, because the way this game has been handled and supported on PS4 from the very beginning has been a huge problem. Reports are coming in and the DLC they touted to push season pass sales is about 1 hour long. I can't caution people enough about this atrocity of a game - I recommend not buying this until it is heavily heavily discounted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PSXtreme_ said:

Until the suckers stop preordering, buying DLC, season passes, etc. this shit will just continue...

If you are one of the people doing it, you only have yourself to blame.

Welcome to the second decade of the New Age of gaming...

You'd think after 12 years, people would have figured it out by now....

this is why I usually wait a year and buy the Complete/Gold/GotY/Ultimate Edition.

On 18/12/2019 at 4:23 PM, Crispy_Oglop said:

I thought i'd share this, because the way this game has been handled and supported on PS4 from the very beginning has been a huge problem. Reports are coming in and the DLC they touted to push season pass sales is about 1 hour long. I can't caution people enough about this atrocity of a game - I recommend not buying this until it is heavily heavily discounted.

Consider I got the Magnus retail version for 90,98€ at GameStop lol worst money ever 

26 minutes ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

Ah sorry, it's a meme from a call of duty game - https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/press-f-to-pay-respects

I was basically commiserating that you spent money on the Magnus edition and paying my respects to you 263a.png

Ah alright thanks :D you can learn something new everyday uh lol

Yes I understood it was something like "I know that feeling bro I respect you".

I finally got the platinum today, I wait for the DLC trophies and then I'll unistall it

• Like 1

Just now, tjoe1bkhjtqxm said:

Ah alright thanks :D you can learn something new everyday uh lol

Yes I understood it was something like "I know that feeling bro I respect you".

I finally got the platinum today, I wait for the DLC trophies and then I'll unistall it

I definitely know the feeling, I got the Magnus edition too when it came out. Congrats on the platinum, part of me wants to go back to do the same and put it down forever.

1 minute ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

I definitely know the feeling, I got the Magnus edition too when it came out. Congrats on the platinum, part of me wants to go back to do the same and put it down forever.

Well look I can help you! I add you on PSN so you can forget about this game in an easier way :D I would be glad

• 4 weeks later...
On 18/12/2019 at 4:23 PM, Crispy_Oglop said:

Update 1.08 is out since yesterday, new trophies coming for the DLC? 

Any news? 

• 1 month later...

I like the Warhammer franchise, but whoever makes their games and does PR are absolutely atrocious. I thought this looked interesting, and it’s on sale, but any time I see a game with more than 5 “DLC” packs and they’re just in-game currency, skins or EXP boosts (micro transactions) I’m extremely hesitant to play them.

Unfortunately almost all Warhammer games are like this. Ahh...remember the days of 40k Dawn of War? ?

Welp, this game is off to a great start so far. I'm only 10 minutes in and it's a tad buggy and already hardlocked my console twice. Outstanding! ?

On another note, wow, I can't believe how generic and boring this game already is. How dare they charge what they're charging for this!

-UPDATE-

Quite a few hours in and just wow. You cheap, lazy, uncreative developers! You should be ashamed of yourselves. Not just for that ridiculously mind-blowing overpriced price tag but for the overall quality of this game as well.

-The same maps over and over again, just rearranged differently... are you fucking kidding me with this?

-Loot that can barely be seen when it drops. Make it stand out more, enlarge the item names so I don't have to squint to see it or accidentally overlook it because it's so damn small and difficult to see!

-Sound/music glitches, not to mention the freezes and and system hard-locks!

-The most retarded, generic enemies over and over again that a kid could program better.

-Boring, boring, BORING, repetitive gameplay!

-No exploration/hidden chests/loot to find. Nope, gone is any of that. The chests just show up on your minimap so no need to go out of your way to explore.

-The game sucks at really explaining anything to you.

-No vendors to purchase items from? Just some stupid trading guild that you offload all the shit loot you find in exchange for skills? Seriously?!?! Merchant's are part of what makes RPG's fun!

-Graphics that are just... okay. I mean, I'm not too big of a graphics snob so this one here is a minor complaint but still, a little bit more effort here would've been appreciated. It's not the ugliest game I've ever seen but I think it could've been better for something that was developed in what, 2017-2018?

-Waaaaaaay overpriced! Sixty fucking dollars just for the base game!? For this functional piece of garbage?! Are you out of your mind?!?!?! Reality check on isle 5! If you really think people are going to pay 60 dollars for this maybe it's time you seek professional help because in no way, shape or form is this game even worth a fraction of that price. I paid $17.28 (after tax) for it and I stll feel ripped off!

This game is utter shit! 

Edited by MrTacoNinja
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/18/2019 at 7:23 AM, Crispy_Oglop said:

Great post, Crispy. Chaosbane is currently heavily discounted during the Days of Play sale, but the PSN Store descriptions are confusing. What follows is my attempt to simplify this dumpster fire of a product and all its variations.

Warhammer: Chaosbane (PS4 only): Base game

Magnus Edition (PS4 only): Base game, Season Pass, and Deluxe Pack*

Slayer Edition (PS4 ONLY): Base game and all DLC (Season Pass, all other addons)

Slayer Edition (PS5 ONLY): Base game and all DLC (Season Pass, all other addons)

*"What's in the deluxe pack and season pass?" you may wonder. I didn't find specific details. However, if you read for another 30 seconds, you may come to the realization it doesn't matter what either contain.

NOTE: PS4 DLC cannot be applied to the PS5 version of Chaosbane. Also, PS5 DLC is not backward-compatible with the PS4 version of Chaosbane. The developers deviated from standard industry practice in order to eliminate free or low-cost cross-gen ownership. 

NOTE: The game description boasts "OPTIMIZED FOR CO-OP" yet Chaosbane is not cross-gen or cross-platform compatible. PS4 players cannot play with PS5 players and vice versa. Sony players cannot play with Xbox users and vice versa. If you want to play with friends who are on a different generation or platform than yours, it isn't possible. This "OPTIMIZED FOR CO-OP" game has eliminated most opportunities for co-op. Source: http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2020/11/11/warhammer-chaosbane-slayer-edition-ps5-xbox-review/

NOTE: Whoever wrote the PSN Store description for Magnus Edition did not include the words "Season Pass" and "Deluxe Pack" in the product description: The Magnus Edition product description is identical to the product description of the base game. Ironically, I had to go to Xbox.com to find out what Sony was selling: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/store/warhammer-chaosbane-magnus-edition/bv3p321wrmfp

NOTE: The PS4 Season Pass has been delisted. PS4 players can either pay $30 dollars for the complete DLC collection or purchase all add-ons individually for a total of approximately $60.

RE: PS5 Upgrade

First here are examples of standard industry practice for cross-gen compatibility (PS4 -> PS5): http://www.psu.com/news/all-ps4-games-that-have-ps5-upgrades-guide/

One would hope that already owning the PS4 version of Chaosbane (base game, the Magnus Edition, or the Slayer Edition) would allow players a free upgrade to PS5, or perhaps a paid upgrade at a discounted rate of $10 dollars. This is standard industry practice, and even greedy companies like Ubisoft honor it. This business model allows PS4 owners to upgrade to PS5 without needing to re-purchase electronic content they already purchased. This is a smart long-term approach that creates a larger player base for game companies across two generations. Although both options (free or $10 upgrade) are standard industry practice, for Chaosbane, neither option exists. Despite already owning both the base game and season pass, PS4 player who want to upgrade to PS5 must pay full price for the Slayer Edition ($60 dollars). There is no other option for playing Chaosbane on PS5 other than purchasing the PS5 Slayer Edition. PS4 players cannot save money by purchasing the PS5 base game of Chaosbane by itself and applying previously purchased PS4 DLC. Everything, base game and DLC, must be purchased twice, and it must all be purchased simultaneously. There are no base game or DLC options for PS5 players.

WHAT THIS MEANS FOR GAMERS

In short, players (like myself) who were prepared to buy the PS4 Magnus Edition, anticipating a free or $10 upgrade to play on the PS5, are getting burned with an additional hidden $60 dollar cost. Nowhere on the PSN store does Sony, Games Workshop, Nacon SA, Bigben Interactive, or Eko Software disclose that Chaosbane is not cross-gen, co-op is not cross-gen or cross-platform, DLC is not cross-gen, and upgrading to PS5 requires paying full price a second time for a base game and DLC which players already own. This omission is intentionally deceptive, manipulative, and wrong.

CONCLUSION

Greed is rampant in the gaming industry, but this is the first time I've seen a developer/publisher team intentionally eradicate cross-gen compatibility in order to charge customers twice for the same product. This self-serving business model is toxic and cannot be tolerated. I advise not buying this product in any form, no matter how much it is discounted, for two reasons. One, the first and smaller concern is that this development & publishing group (particularly Games Workshop, who own the licenses for the Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000 universe) will make a large enough profit on Chaosbane to misinterpret the sum as "financial success", be encouraged, and continue using this deceptive, manipulative, one-sided business model for future titles. This would be disastrous for future Warhammer games, especially multiplayer titles. The "one generation/one platform/two price tags" model prevents the formation of cross-gen/cross-platform co-op communities. Two, my larger concern is that other developers/publisher teams will see Chaosbane's profit margin as "successful enough" to justify abandoning standard industry practice and begin using the same "one gen/one model/two price tags" model for their future titles. 

I don't believe that many AAA publishers like Sony, its third party developers (Insomniac, Naughty Dog, Guerilla, Santa Monica Studio, Japan Studio, etc.), Square Enix, Capcom, or Gearbox will abandon the standard industry practice of the free-or-$10 PS5 upgrade. However, Activision, EA, Ubisoft, and Rockstar are "profit first, people a distant second" publishers. If they could use the "one gen/one platform/two price tags" model without repercussions, they would. I advise avoiding Chaosbane for the time being and being wary of any products by the following companies, particularly Games Workshop. 

Warhammer: Chaosbane

Publisher: Games Workshop and Nacon SA

Developers: Eko Software and Bigben Interactive

Crispy, thank you for starting this thread and warning other PSNP members about this situation.

Edited by poetic_justice_
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...