Confused about ‘The Devil Made Me Do It’ trophy (complete the game without using a yellow orb)

dieselmanchild

It appears that when you die, the game forces you to use a yellow orb to continue playing. There is no option to load a save, exit to main menu etc. So how are you supposed to do this?

Are you supposed to close the application and reload the game to resume from your last save before you died? Or is it OK to use a yellow orb to respawn, then reload your last save (prior to death) in the menu without voiding the trophy?

I read the description in the trophy guide but it’s not very clear. If anyone can elaborate on how they did this I would appreciate it! I’m hoping to do this trophy on Playthrough 1 (normal difficulty). Thanks! ?

Edited by dieselmanchild

Best to just do a hard reset, as I think the game may make a save once the orb is used, but not 100% sure. I would even suggest perhaps going for the trophy on an additional playthrough as, by then you would have the full health bar and going through Normal for a second time would be so easy. Even running through it in a couple of hours! 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jmartinez8089 said:

You could also try my method. It's called not dying. Trust me it works 100% of the time. 1f44d.png

100% eh? In my case I fear that percentage is much lower... ?

8 hours ago, CannibalX666X said:

Best to just do a hard reset, as I think the game may make a save once the orb is used, but not 100% sure. I would even suggest perhaps going for the trophy on an additional playthrough as, by then you would have the full health bar and going through Normal for a second time would be so easy. Even running through it in a couple of hours! 

Hard reset?? What is this wizardry? ? Does it take you back to the selection screen? I will try that soon when I come online.

Normally I try to minimize any excess replays as much as possible, but in this case I may take your advice! I’m sure I could use the practice, but most of all it would be useful to stock up on extra items for DMD.

This will be my first time playing a DMC game so I’m going to need all the extra help I can get lol.

• 3 weeks later...

So just to update this for anyone wondering in the future: There doesn’t appear to be a hard reset function (at least not in the PS4 bundle). But I successfully unlocked the trophy by using a yellow orb upon dying, and then reloading my save.

So it wasn’t nearly as confusing as it first seemed once you play the game a bit and get used to how the saving system works. Just keep a mental note of how many yellow orbs you have at all times so you can be sure you haven’t used one accidentally.