What is Your 2019 ____ of the Year? I'm Interested.

PhantomFear94

GOTY

Winner: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Honourable mentions: The Outer Worlds

Indie Of The Year

Winner: GRIS

Honourable mentions: Shovel Knight: King of Cards

Surprise Of The Year

Winner: Beat Hazard 2 (I didn't even realise it was getting a follow-up until I saw it on sale and the first one was great fun)

Disappointment Of The Year

Winner: Probably DMCV by default because I've played it but not bought it yet, so i guess it's disappointing in the fact that it didn't make me go out and pick it up after I tried it out back in May. I'll get to it though.

Game of the Year: 

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice and Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition.

I play a lot a RPG games and my two favorite series are the Souls and Tales series. I was super excited to play Sekiro the moment I heard about it and I absolutely loved the entire game the whole way through, the whole concept of feeling like a Shinobi and having challenging bosses that made me feel REALLY relieved when it was over set the tone for me more than Dark Souls ever did. You could "cheat" your way through dark souls with level ups/powerful item combos but Sekiro really put you to the test. There were... some, cheeseable moments but still, overall really impressive entry for the series.

Then there's Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition. Coming from Xbox, I played the original a long time ago but this edition really fleshed out the story/adding extra content, 2 new playable characters, new areas, new cutscenes and the chance to 100% it all over again. Plus, it being on PS4 helped me make the switch from Xbox to PS4 that much easier (originally on Xbox only, then on PS3 for Japan only (I believe). So a lot of people got to experience the adventure for the first time and seeing people fall in love with it really made me happy (one of my favorites of all time). 

Indie of the Year: 

N/A didn't play any Indie games this year on my Xbox or Playstation this year. I really wanna try out some next year though. 

I would really like to try:

A Plague Tale: Innocence, Gris and Lost Ember

Surprise of the Year:

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

Didn't realize they were making a new Star Wars game until very late in the year. Currently playing it and absolutely enjoying it. Reminds me of older Nintendo Gamecube games. You got the puzzle solving, platforming, jumping around ledges and the combat is like mini-Sekiro without all the added stress. It's a laid back experience and I'm absolutely shocked that I fell in love with the game so quickly. Going to be spending my winter holiday going for the plat. It's got a nice story line so far and the trophies aren't super demanding, which is absolutely wonderful for a RPG game.

Disappointment of the Year:

All the game companies that have been screwing over players in 2019 with micro transaction ridden/buggy/laggy/disconnecting/no effort games.

FIFA, Anthem, Fallout 76, NBA 2k20, Modern Warfare, etc.

I was going to make a long post about my frustration with them, but couldn't be bothered to put in the effort. I'm sure these game studios know what I mean. ?

Edited by SanctifiedSword