Does PS4 Support an External BluRay Disc Drive? (SOLVED)

ObsiEez

Like the titles states, does the PS4 accept an External BluRay Disc Drive. Mine recently broke out of nowhere this morning & now I can't play quite a few of my games (including one I'm was currently working on the Platinum for). So I was wondering if I could buy an External BluRay Disc Drive & hook it up to the PS4 & play my physical copies that way. I don't really want to buy a new PS4 since the PS5 is going to be coming out next year & will play PS4 physical copies & I don't know the first thing about repairing it myself. 

Edited by ObsiEez

I don't think so.

but!!!

You can buy the same disc drive in your ps4 and just swap it out.

They range from $40-$60. Not new though. Most are refurbished etc.

3 minutes ago, NERVergoproxy said:

I don't think so.

but!!!

Damn, I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that since I don't got the tools for it nor the knowledge & don't want to accidental fuck it up more but at this point ain't really got a choice. Hopefully the YouTube videos on how to do it are pretty straight forward.

4 minutes ago, ObsiEez said:

Damn, I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that since I don't got the tools for it nor the knowledge & don't want to accidental fuck it up more but at this point ain't really got a choice. Hopefully the YouTube videos on how to do it are pretty straight forward.

Its pretty straight forward stuff. Pop it open and pop a few ribbons and connectors and swap. You can find the drives from amazon, they come with tools, but I see that those are more expensive than stuffs like on ebay. But at least Amazon is better return policy if it doesnt work. ;)

20 minutes ago, NERVergoproxy said:

Its pretty straight forward stuff. Pop it open and pop a few ribbons and connectors and swap. You can find the drives from amazon, they come with tools, but I see that those are more expensive than stuffs like on ebay. But at least Amazon is better return policy if it doesnt work. ;)

Alright thanks for the info, I don't got much money at the money so sadly my ass stuck playing my digital games for now. RIP my Yakuza 0 plat for now I guess lol

1 hour ago, NERVergoproxy said:

I don't think so.

but!!!

The optical drive is married to the motherboard, so you would also have to remove the circuit board from the broken drive and put it on the replacement one, assuming that the circuit board isn't the problem.

1 hour ago, ObsiEez said:

Like the titles states, does the PS4 accept an External Disc Drive. Mine recently broke out of nowhere this morning & now I can't play quite a few of my games (including one I'm was currently working on the Platinum for). So I was wondering if I could buy an External Disc Drive & hook it up to the PS4 & play my physical copies that way. I don't really want to buy a new PS4 since the PS5 is going to be coming out next year & will play PS4 physical copies & I don't know the first thing about repairing it myself. 

No, it's to prevent people from running unsigned code and bypassing the security on the motherboard, as it is easy to flash the firmware on optical drives. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adrian1985_ said:

You can connect Expantion Disc Drive to PS4 that support USB 2.0.  I have PS4 PRO 1 TB and connected Expantion Disc 8 TB.

What the OP asks is if you can connect an external Blu-Ray drive on a PS4 and use this to play game discs, NOT if you can connect an external USB Harddrive (What you call "Expansion drive".. or Expantion Disc)!

@ObsiEez Regarding your question: Google and Reddit say: No.

Edited by Geridian
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Geridian said:

What the OP asks is if you can connect an external Blu-Ray drive on a PS4 and use this to play game discs, NOT if you can connect an external USB Harddrive (What you call "Expansion drive".. or Expantion Disc)!

@ObsiEez Regarding your question: Google and Reddit say: No.

Yeah I've figured that out now sadly. I tried googling it but everything I found was about HDD's whenever I tried to search it. Sadly going to have to replace the disc drive.

3 hours ago, Caesar Clown said:

Does the drive still read the disc? Mine stopped pulling in/ejecting discs, but could still read them. There's a way to manually load/eject them if that's the case.

From the last time it worked it still would read discs (albeit I had to tap on the top of the system while it was reading the disc to get it to read or else it'd keep making weird noises & then wouldn't read it) but now whenever I try to put the disc in it just won't go in & there's a whole lot of resistance in the tray as if it's stuck on ejecting but without making the sound. I sadly don't have the tools to open it up to either fix or replace the disc drive or have the money to even buy them until January so I'm basically just stuck with my digital library at this point.

6 hours ago, ObsiEez said:

Alright thanks for the info, I don't got much money at the money so sadly my ass stuck playing my digital games for now. RIP my Yakuza 0 plat for now I guess lol

depending where you look, there could be a local company or even tech person that can replace the drive for 60. I know in my area there was one. 

sometimes the same company that will replace cracked phones and laptop screens will do so.

often give a 60 or 90day warranty as well. Which isnt much but its better than nothin.

1 hour ago, ObsiEez said:

Yeah I've figured that out now sadly. I tried googling it but everything I found was about HDD's whenever I tried to search it. Sadly going to have to replace the disc drive.

From the last time it worked it still would read discs (albeit I had to tap on the top of the system while it was reading the disc to get it to read or else it'd keep making weird noises & then wouldn't read it) but now whenever I try to put the disc in it just won't go in & there's a whole lot of resistance in the tray as if it's stuck on ejecting but without making the sound. I sadly don't have the tools to open it up to either fix or replace the disc drive or have the money to even buy them until January so I'm basically just stuck with my digital library at this point.

if its base ps4 doesnt it just slide off and you can see the insides? or was that ps3? 

also try having the console standing up. Use a cotton swap with alcohol on the disc insert foam so it lubes it. My ps4 pro was slow sometimes to accept or eject disc. like it wouldnt do it fast as normal. But i used some alcohol on the foamy disc insert thing and havent had an issue since. Maybe had some dust build up. Hard to say.

good luck to you tho!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LegacyJKO09 said:

if its base ps4 doesnt it just slide off and you can see the insides? or was that ps3? 

also try having the console standing up. Use a cotton swap with alcohol on the disc insert foam so it lubes it. My ps4 pro was slow sometimes to accept or eject disc. like it wouldnt do it fast as normal. But i used some alcohol on the foamy disc insert thing and havent had an issue since. Maybe had some dust build up. Hard to say.

Yeah that's the base PS4 that does that, I got the slim so it doesn't have the slide off piece sadly (I don't even know what pieces come off when you unscrew it for the Slim).

But thank for all the responses guys, really helped me out a bunch with the info I needed & hopefully I can have an up & running disc tray again before the Kingdom Hearts 3 DLC drops or I'm going to cry.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ObsiEez said:

Yeah that's the base PS4 that does that, I got the slim so it doesn't have the slide off piece sadly (I don't even know what pieces come off when you unscrew it for the Slim).

But thank for all the responses guys, really helped me out a bunch with the info I needed & hopefully I can have an up & running disc tray again before the Kingdom Hearts 3 DLC drops or I'm going to cry.

You can use these guides for taking the slim apart, it's possible the drive is just jammed and taking it apart and inspecting it might reveal the issue.

• Like 1