Is there any reason why a developer wont include a platinum in their game?

mriaborat9

I think it's probably because they don't understand the trophy system well enough. It's changed over the years, and most limits that were in place have since been lifted, but there's still a lot of confusion around it.

Companies like Sega still doesn't give its digital-only games platinums. Probably because in the PS3 days, smaller games weren't actually allowed to have them and they haven't updated their guidelines for trophies since then.

Capcom's excuse for Mega Man Collection 1 not getting a platinum is that it would've required more testing and not been able to meet the deadline, even though they wouldn't have needed to increase the amount of trophies if they just changed them all to gold. The trophy points and trophy tier system isn't particularly intuitive, so I can't blame them for not knowing they could have done that.

I can't remember who it was, but I saw an indie developer a few years ago who said they wished they had given their game a platinum, but they had already selected to give it a smaller scale list because they didn't know much about the process, or something similar to that.

1 minute ago, Shadiochao said:

I can't remember who it was, but I saw an indie developer a few years ago who said they wished they had given their game a platinum, but they had already selected to give it a smaller scale list because they didn't know much about the process, or something similar to that.

I remember that. I thought it was the dev for Galak-Z, but I couldn't find it any search. The closest I found was someone claiming the dev for Galak-Z said that games with a platinum require an "extra certification." Which I suppose jives with Capcom's reasoning for not giving Mega Man Collection 1 a platinum that you mentioned.

Yeah, I've never understood this. There are some piss easy games out there with a Platinum, and then there are games like Outlast, Resident Evil 4, as well as a game like Hawaii Shakedown which perhaps isn't difficult, but certainly has more meat on its bone than a bunch of games with an actual Platinum trophy.

Platinum hunting has lost a bit of its purpose for me, since they've become so easy to get, and there's a lot of Platinum stacking going on as well. I'm much more into achieving unearned trophies, and keeping a high completion rating, than Platinum trophies.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

Truthfully it's up to the developers whether they're going to add a platinum trophy or not

I think that's the entire question that's being asked.

8 hours ago, mriaborat9 said:

any speculation why a developer wouldn't include one?

Aside from a comment here or there, there hasn't been a lot of developers willing to talk about trophies and none so far have been willing to leak the trophy guidelines that Sony has for developers. I'm guessing most developers know that trophies are a requirement, but spend more time on the game itself and throw them on afterward, but don't explore all their options.

• Like 3

Want to know this, too, as it bothers me. I absolutely love and am grateful for the fact that indie series like Shantae (thank you Wayforward. Now... just give me Shantae avatars), Unravel, etc, but very upset by the fact indie titles like Limbo, INSIDE, and Sonic Mania don't have platinum trophies. Companies like Housemarque (Dead Nation, Alienation, Resogun, Matterfall, etc) and EA (Unravel series, Fe, etc) have been consistent with implementing them, but companies like SEGA (Sonic Mania, and if fair, the last generation PSN Sonic games) and Playdead (Limbo, INSIDE) have yet to add platinum trophies in either a single of their indie titles or it's just too rare. Playdead in particular are already working on their next game, and iirc it's an even bigger budget and more ambitious than INSIDE, so I really expect and hope they add a platinum in that game.

Edited by EcoShifter

8 hours ago, Sergen said:

Considering this failed kickstarter has a reward tier specifically for adding a platinum trophy to the trophy list if it were to get one, I'm guessing companies that release non-AAA games have to pay extra for their trophy list to have a platinum. Aside from that, if it isn't an extra cost to add a platinum then they put in the bare minimum number of trophies without adjusting point values because they're too lazy to come up with enough trophies to make a platinum out of the list. It's always disappointing to see a game that obviously had enough content for a platinum not get a platinum and it normally makes me decide to only buy said game if it becomes really cheap in a sale. 

This seems the most believable scenario. 

8 minutes ago, EcoShifter said:

Want to know this, too, as it bothers me. I absolutely love and am grateful for the fact that indie series like Shantae (thank you Wayforward. Now... just give me Shantae avatars), Unravel, and soon Little Nightmares (assuming part 2 gets a platinum just like part 1)...

Little Nightmares doesn't have a platinum trophy, though.

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, EcoShifter said:

Little Nightmares (assuming part 2 gets a platinum just like part 1),

Not sure if its just a typo but Little Nightmares doesn't have a Platinum. Planning on playing it very soon so looked it up earlier. Fantastic game. Thoroughly deserves one. Base game has 1,000g on Xbox. Pretty sure all Xbox one games have the standard 1,000g regardless of length or difficulty (may be a few outliers but not that I'm personally aware of). It seems things are more consistent with Gamerscore. Maybe because that system is more straightforward? Who knows. 

1 minute ago, diskdocx said:

It can't be that expensive to make it a plat list. Rat games has like 6-8 stacks a week and those games are usually quite cheap, so they can't be paying a fortune for the priviledge of having a plat.

Hell, there have been games that have launched for a buck with a plat.

I say this is 99% laziness on the part of the developers. They don't want to bother testing more trophies.

Yeah, but this doesn't make sense, either. After all, every game has to have trophies, and many of the 100% games have more than just three golds and a silver. For example, going back to Little Nightmares, they could just change the list to gold trophies, and make a plat game without testing a single new trophy.

I'm more disappointed by the fact that I know some people won't play a game because it doesn't have a platinum trophy than the fact that some games that should have a platinum trophy don't. Resident Evil 4 is a good example of that.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm OK with Little Nightmares not having a plat. Yes, it has one ridiculously hard trophy, but it wasn't very long. If there was some kind of standard, I'd make the cutoff about where Little Nightmares is, where games with more content would have a platinum and those with less would not.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

I'm more disappointed by the fact that I know some people won't play a game because it doesn't have a platinum trophy than the fact that some games that should have a platinum trophy don't. Resident Evil 4 is a good example of that.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm OK with Little Nightmares not having a plat. Yes, it has one ridiculously hard trophy, but it wasn't very long. If there was some kind of standard, I'd make the cutoff about where Little Nightmares is, where games with more content would have a platinum and those with less would not.

To be fair, as much as I'd love Little Nightmares to have a Platinum, I do totally agree with you. I guess I only want it to have one because:

1) I love the game.

2) Sooo many other games have them and they really, really shouldn't. 

There are quite a few games I'll be completing that don't have a Platinum and that's fine. They're worth my time and money because they're good games. I would just like to see an improvement with consistency when it comes to Trophies in general. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Shadiochao said:

I think it's probably because they don't understand the trophy system well enough.

It's really that simple. Some developers just don't realize that they can mark "full game" regardless of the content in their game, nor do they realize they will get some extra sales with a platinum trophy.

I doubt it's a monetary problem, look at Ratalaika games for example, that Patreon guy that had a "platinum tier" is just a scumbag.

I also doubt it's about quality, again look at Rata or even Burly man  that managed to be part of the PS Plus collection.

It has to be a combination of laziness and ignorance, laziness to test the trophies or thinking of ways to implement them, ignorance because they think only quality games must have platinums.

As someone who does not play games without a platinum, and I know that there are many others just like me, I've told various devs several times that they will loose revenue if they don't include one, especially if they're a indie company.

Speaking of which, is it possible to add a platinum trophy later, as in a free update?

47 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

Hello. I 100% agree with you, and on the other side I sometimes play a game the way you described it.

- If I really like the game, trophy list is not important for me. (currently playing Farmers Dynasty, trophy list is a complete joke, but I enjoy the "tutorial" side of the game).

- If I don't like one or more aspects of the game, but feel I can enjoy it anyway, a platinum trophy is very important for me, as once I made the platinum trophy, I will stop playing the game. This platinum trophy is the only thing I will keep in my memory for this game. (ex : Farming Simulator, once the next version is released, older ones are uninstalled). --> No platinum trophy (either no platinum implemented or not achievable as I'm not PS+) and the game has drawbacks in my mind ? --> No buy and not playing it.

I used two similar "Farming Simulators" examples, as they are close in term of gameplay to show you what it means for me.

27 minutes ago, grifteskymfning said:

As someone who does not play games without a platinum, and I know that there are many others just like me, I've told various devs several times that they will loose revenue if they don't include one, especially if they're a indie company.

Speaking of which, is it possible to add a platinum trophy later, as in a free update?

Probably not. The developers once said they would look into adding a platinum trophy to the PS3 version of Plants vs Zombies, but it never happened.

2 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

Yeah, but this doesn't make sense, either. After all, every game has to have trophies, and many of the 100% games have more than just three golds and a silver. For example, going back to Little Nightmares, they could just change the list to gold trophies, and make a plat game without testing a single new trophy.

I totally agree. Rat has perfected the 12 gold + plat list, so really there is no excuse not to just make the trophies all gold and add a plat. At this point, every game should just have a plat. Doesn't matter where you cut it off, there will always be a harder game so you will never reach a point where you could say all plats are of equal merit

1 hour ago, Cassylvania said:

I've never understood the no plat no buy philosophy. Have played some gems with great lists and no plats. 

That said, I wouldn't sink 50 hours into a no plat game, nor would I pay full retail price for a non-plat list.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, grifteskymfning said:

People often overestimate how many trophy hunters there are. It's really drop in the ocean.

16 minutes ago, ShadeSplit said:

Probably not. The developers once said they would look into adding a platinum trophy to the PS3 version of Plants vs Zombies, but it never happened.

The developers of Bit Dungeon Plus said they would patch in a plat for EU and JP stacks since the AS got a plat, but they also never did.