Is there any reason why a developer wont include a platinum in their game?

mriaborat9

I'm not a developer myself, but I'm a moderator for a certain online PS4 game, and I do happen to communicate with the devs quite often.
While I know this doesn't fully answer the question, apparently It's actually against the rules that Sony imposes on developers for a free game to have a Platinum.

Edit: as theSpirae has pointed out, there are a few free games that this apparently doesn't apply to? So it doesn't quite look like this holds.

Edited by Deadborne

4 minutes ago, Deadborne said:

I'm not a developer myself, but I'm a moderator for a certain online PS4 game, and I do happen to communicate with the devs quite often.
While I know this doesn't fully answer the question, apparently It's actually against the rules that Sony imposes on developers for a free game to have a Platinum.

Hm, Fallout Shelter has Plat, so does GWENT, Orcs Must Die, Paladins, Skyforge all have plats and are f2p

@RatalaikaGames Care to chime in on this topic? Seems you'd be better at helping figure this out.

4 hours ago, FierceMetal said:

All these games have the full 1,000g on Xbox.

I've seen games get a platinum on Playstation, but they'll get a 400G (or less) on XBOX.

40 minutes ago, Helyx said:

@RatalaikaGames Care to chime in on this topic? Seems you'd be better at helping figure this out.

I've seen games get a platinum on Playstation, but they'll get a 400G (or less) on XBOX.

Only game I can think of is: Dust an Elysian Tale. I think I mentioned in a follow up post that that I'm mainly referring to Xbox One era games. There may be a few outliers that I'm unaware of, but in general, it's pretty consistent that all base games have atleast 1,000g.

Edited by FierceMetal

It's not even really a matter of adding in more trophies. If they have a list of 10 or 12 trophies that are mostly bronze, or that just add up to 310 points as is generally the case, all they'd really need to do is change the trophy and point values to golds/silvers and add the plat. This in essence devalues the trophies to some extent, a la Ratalaika games, but just saying how hard can that be?? As @diskdocx mentioned above, if Ratalaika is pumping out 6-8 stacks for their cheap ass games, there's no way it could cost significantly more to do so!

I spent alot of last year buying stacks and stacks of Rat games trying to boost my score. At first it was just to pass my rl friend, then I got addicted to going up the leaderboards. But shit always felt so hollow! It is so much more satisfying to bag an Ultra Rare plat, so that's what I've been working on lately. 

• 2 months later...

Whatever the reasons, they feel pretty arbitrary either way & I don't think that Sony has ever revealed their "reasons" because I'm pretty sure they don't even know their reasons.

Quick 5 minute or less to 100% complete? Platinum!

Extremely grindy & long game to 100%? No Platinum for you!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ObsiEez said:

Whatever the reasons, they feel pretty arbitrary either way & I don't think that Sony has ever revealed their "reasons" because I'm pretty sure they don't even know their reasons.

Quick 5 minute or less to 100% complete? Platinum!

Extremely grindy & long game to 100%? No Platinum for you!

Yes. We could think that today all new games would have platinum, but it doesn't. 

When they launched the trophies system, the rule was : 

- only digital release = no platinum

- physical release = platinum 

it has been applied all ps3 period but it become a mess over the  last years.... and it looks like there is no rule anymore

21 hours ago, BossZombieMan said:

Yes but why some do and some don't ?

It's been hinted that Sony charges the developers to put a platinum on the list.  As far as I know, anything AAA will have it, but some indie developers dont feel it's worth the cost 

- I dont have a source, it was just something I read posted by a developer some years ago

Edited by AJ_-_808

3 hours ago, lucask001 said:

When they launched the trophies system, the rule was : 

- only digital release = no platinum

- physical release = platinum 

it has been applied all ps3 period but it become a mess over the  last years.... and it looks like there is no rule anymore

Not really. Some like Zombie Tycoon 2 on PS3 are exclusively digitals and have a platinum. 

2 hours ago, AJ_-_808 said:

It's been hinted that Sony charges the developers to put a platinum on the list.  As far as I know, anything AAA will have it, but some indie developers dont feel it's worth the cost 

- I dont have a source, it was just something I read posted by a developer some years ago

So platinums have a cost for developers. Seems logical. 

I don't think platinums have a cost lol

Pretty sure some developers just don't want to adapt their game's achievements to the proper trophy equivalent, and since platinum lists require a set amount of points (1130-1230), it's easier to fit the trophies into a 100% list with at most 315 points.

The trophy system is the only one that sets fixed values to different types of trophies, therefore it needs some simple maths to fit into, so I guess this makes sense, I don't think Sony has any restrictions to it, at least nowadays, sadly.

1 hour ago, BossZombieMan said:

Not really. Some like Zombie Tycoon 2 on PS3 are exclusively digitals and have a platinum. 

Was Zombie Tycoon 2 around when trophies launched? Because I was pretty sure the digital only titles didn’t get platinums when Sony was in the early days talking about platinums. 

To answer your question, Sony doesn’t openly publish trophy requirements and while some developers have talked about trophies, no one has leaked the developer guidelines for trophies so all anyone can do is speculate. 

39 minutes ago, LucasDiasC said:

I don't think platinums have a cost lol

Pretty sure some developers just don't want to adapt their game's achievements to the proper trophy equivalent, and since platinum lists require a set amount of points (1130-1230), it's easier to fit the trophies into a 100% list with at most 315 points.

The trophy system is the only one that sets fixed values to different types of trophies, therefore it needs some simple maths to fit into, so I guess this makes sense, I don't think Sony has any restrictions to it, at least nowadays, sadly.

Is your avatar from Super Meat Boy or another game please ?