Monthly Madness 2020 - It can't end like that... - Sign ups open all year

On 3.8.2020 at 6:50 AM, Rello-Evante said:

Quick question in regards to this month's theme.

I literally just finished Beyond: Two Souls and wasn't sure if it would count towards the challenge, it is choice-based and you can do some evil things if you do so choose but...

Reveal hidden contents

there is a part in the story where you are sent to assassinate a democratically elected president in which you were briefed to be a warlord.

Just wasn't sure if this would apply.

Thanks for clarifying!

IIRC your are a member of the CIA or a similar organisation fighting against crimes. So I would say it counts.

On 1-8-2020 at 10:23 PM, MarkusT1992 said:

you can remove me from the challenge if you want, I just really don't have that much time to play lately and it doesn't seem like it's going to change anytime soon.

Thanks for accepting me for the event though! Wish I just had more time to fully participate.

I have no idea if this game should count for this or not.  The game is Through the Woods where you play a mother trying to rescue her son who has been kidnapped (?) and is to be sacrificed.  It seems like you are a good person but by the end of the story you discover:

Lot of end game spoilers

Spoiler

Your son was being disobedient and not putting something back so you hit him, breaking his arm.

You seem to think your husband is overreacting in wanting to tell someone and should forget all about this because you aren't really a bad person and might lose your job.

You tell your husband you want a divorce, he says fine but he's taking your son.  You seem to think that breaking the kid's arm over a toy is no reason for your husband to do this.

When you get to court, you manage to convince them that it was actually your husband who did it so you keep the kid, get full custody and the father has a restraining order placed against him, denying him the ability to go anywhere near you or your son. (this sort of reminds me of the line in the theme description - It wasn't me, your Honor. He hit himself in the face.)

This eventually drives him to commit suicide, which upsets you because you loved him so much (Really? Off to the psycho ward with you, lady).

Your son gets sacrificed (though he was willing to do it) in order to save the world for the next five years when you fail to save him (though the camera angle almost gives the impression that you might have pushed the kid off the edge trying to save him).  You also manage to take yourself and the guy who took him over the edge though only you survive.

In order to make your son's sacrifice worth it in the long run, you fully embrace taking over the role of the kidnapper (with a smile) so that you get to take other kids and sacrifice them to keep the world safe.

Just for the record, my impression is that deep down she is a crazy bitch and definitely not a good person.

I'll leave it to our host if they think the game qualifies or not. I don't think it would qualify as HC though as none of these actions are active decisions made by the player.

9 hours ago, Kevvik said:

I have no idea if this game should count for this or not.  The game is Through the Woods where you play a mother trying to rescue her son who has been kidnapped (?) and is to be sacrificed.  It seems like you are a good person but by the end of the story you discover:

Lot of end game spoilers

Reveal hidden contents

Your son was being disobedient and not putting something back so you hit him, breaking his arm.

You seem to think your husband is overreacting in wanting to tell someone and should forget all about this because you aren't really a bad person and might lose your job.

You tell your husband you want a divorce, he says fine but he's taking your son.  You seem to think that breaking the kid's arm over a toy is no reason for your husband to do this.

When you get to court, you manage to convince them that it was actually your husband who did it so you keep the kid, get full custody and the father has a restraining order placed against him, denying him the ability to go anywhere near you or your son. (this sort of reminds me of the line in the theme description - It wasn't me, your Honor. He hit himself in the face.)

This eventually drives him to commit suicide, which upsets you because you loved him so much (Really? Off to the psycho ward with you, lady).

Your son gets sacrificed (though he was willing to do it) in order to save the world for the next five years when you fail to save him (though the camera angle almost gives the impression that you might have pushed the kid off the edge trying to save him).  You also manage to take yourself and the guy who took him over the edge though only you survive.

In order to make your son's sacrifice worth it in the long run, you fully embrace taking over the role of the kidnapper (with a smile) so that you get to take other kids and sacrifice them to keep the world safe.

Just for the record, my impression is that deep down she is a crazy bitch and definitely not a good person.

I'll leave it to our host if they think the game qualifies or not. I don't think it would qualify as HC though as none of these actions are active decisions made by the player.

Since I don't know that game I can only decide from what you wrote. For the base theme it is enought if there is any kind of crime in the game. The only thing you mentioned that could be a crime is the kidnapping. If you would say that child was kidnapped and didn't go on his free will I would count it.

So far we have two theme suggestions for next month. You can still throw your suggestion in there for the next 10-12 hours, depending on when I update later today.

On 2.8.2020 at 0:48 AM, eigen-space said:

Here are mine--

Final Fantasy XIII Lightning Returns - 66 Metacritic Score

--Other Event (Maidens, GBN)

Crystal Defenders - 63 Metacritic Score

--Other Event (GBN), 10 Year Old Game (Aug 6 2009), Started this Month

The Sims 4 - 66 Metacritic Score

--Other Event (GBN), Started This Month

Use this image for monthly theme-- 1Se5288a.png

The Count Lucanor -- may or may not count... only has 2 metacritic reviews which average out to 70 but not the required four reviews to receive an actual metacritic score

--Other Event (GBN), Started This Month, 4 games in a month

Stats when joined:
Platinum trophies: 87
100% completed: 119
Completion: 94.75%
Stat changes during the year:
Platinum trophies: +34
100% completed: +40
Completion: +1.95%

I can't count The Count Lucanor for this. Only games with an official metascore count.

On 2.8.2020 at 8:50 PM, starcrunch061 said:

@MarkusT1992: I was well on pace, but surgery knocked me out. Still, Duck Souls for the PS4 has a single review giving it a 60, so I think that counts?

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/duck-souls+

The same for you. Only games with an official metascore count.

The poll for next month will be up in a few minutes. Only two suggestions this time.

Also thread is updated.

Just finished a second stack of Q-Bert Rebooted on PS3. The crime was Gonzo Games sticking that horrible controlling Rebooted on to poor OG Q-Bert! Not seriously claiming that one for this months theme, just bitchin'.

Here's a theme idea; Wrap up that online game. Finish a game with online requirements. HC - Finish a game where the server shutdown has been announced or has already happened (and you just need to polish off the SP)!

3 hours ago, Metal Slime King said:

Just finished a second stack of Q-Bert Rebooted on PS3. The crime was Gonzo Games sticking that horrible controlling Rebooted on to poor OG Q-Bert! Not seriously claiming that one for this months theme, just bitchin'.

Here's a theme idea; Wrap up that online game. Finish a game with online requirements. HC - Finish a game where the server shutdown has been announced or has already happened (and you just need to polish off the SP)!

You are a bit late with your theme. I already added the poll for next month. You had until the 10th to sumbitt your theme.

So I have finished uncharted 4 and I'm pretty sure it counts for the challenge?

By completing this game you would end up with

- Criminal Trespass x3

- Break and Enter x3

- Accomplice to Second Degree Murder

- Prison Escape 

- Bribing a law officer (which I'm pretty sure is a crime?)

- Speeding

- Criminal Destruction of Property (lots of counts)

- Unauthorized use of military grade munitions

- Manslaughter x1000 minimum.

- Grand Theft

- Lying to your wife (which isn't a crime, but feels like it should count)

If it counts then its also 

-All DLC for the Game

-First Trophy a Year Ago

So sadly, i have to go inactive on this challenge for probably the rest of the year :(

I don't have alot of time to play PS4 tbh, and the few hours i have here and there are spend on playing games with a buddy, instead of completing these challenges. 
It have been an absolute blast to participate, and i am really disappointed i can't see it through to the end. 
I felt like the least i could do where to inform you instead of just "ghosting" for the rest of the year. 

I will be checking up in here on your guys performance though :) 

August Update

Game #1 1S549f56.png Saints Row The Third Remastered - Absolutely counts for Hardcore. Also started this month and i guess technically released in the last six months.

Game #2 L.A. Noire - Started this month, for another event and all DLC completed. Hardcore maybe if you think 

Spoiler

Cole being demoted and charged for Adultery is technically a crime. I guess it was in 1947.

Game #3 L.A. Noire The VR Case Files - Started this month and HC if you also accept the previous one.

Game #4 Leisure Suit Larry: Wet Dreams Don't Dry - Started this month, for another event, and HC as you do a lot of illegal and nefarious shit. You even get arrested and thrown in jail for it in the game.

That once again qualifies me for 4 for the month. This was a fun month. And also damn, two games that came out in 2011. Just a year short for that 10 year category.

Edited by DoctorDrPepper

On 8/12/2020 at 4:11 PM, MarkusT1992 said:

You are a bit late with your theme. I already added the poll for next month. You had until the 10th to submit your theme.

No worries, you can always throw it on to the heap. :)

I got 100% in Sideway: New York this month. The antagonist is guilty of abduction but I'm going to argue it qualifies as HC because player character abilities revolve around graffiti which is technically a crime. Started the game this month, sadly it's not quite 10 years old.

Also, got the plat in Zombie Driver re-release for PS4. It does go into how everything was started by a company who had chemicals stored around town. Wouldn't argue HC for your crazy driving because it's not a crime if society has already broken down. :awesome: Started this month and it was released on PS4 within the last 6 months.

Edited by Metal Slime King
added Zombie Driver

Hey @MarkusT1992

I just Finished Fairy Tail I think.. that it works for the HC req. I mean there are thieves and you get them.

And you can play with bad guys.. that turned good ish later in the story. I'm not completely sure.. but if you could give your verdict lol. 

• Complete a game that counts towards a different PSNP event.
  • Complete a game that fulfills the Hardcore requirement of that month.
  • Complete a game that you started this month
  • Complete a game that was released during the last 6 month

1S26247a.png

:platinum: Assassin's Creed II (PS4)

-10 year old game (2009, remaster)

-Different PSNP event

-Hardcore

-Started this month

I swear this looks worse than the PS3 version. Still a great game, though, and I had a much easier time this go around. Aiming to go through the series in order instead of hopping all over the place...

Lots of murdering going around, though the assassins seem to be more grey than baddie. There's a trophy for stealing, though, and that's from civilians.

:platinum: The Amazing Spider-Man 2

-Different PSNP event

-First trophy over a year ago (2016)

There's lots of crime. Too much crime. Who thought the hero/menace system was a good idea? Go play any of the other Spider-Man games, I doubt they're worse.

While I can't remember the story mode being particularly bad (or good), the open world portion has time-limited crimes popping up frequently - ignoring them, as one would generally do when hunting collectibles, means soldiers patrolling the streets, scout bots chasing you down, and electric stun shields spawning right in front of you as you try to swing around. You can certainly work around it, but it's a massive annoyance.

:platinum: Collar x Malice

-Different PSNP event

-Started this month

To very basically sum up this VN: you're a cop trying to work out a series of murders.

Most interesting otome I've played so far, helps that it's not as heavy on the romance as most. Always been a sucker for mysteries too, and this one plays out well. Tosses in a simple shooting minigame and some small investigation scenes as well, so it's not just reading.

:platinum: Master Reboot

-Different PSNP event

-Started this month

-Four games in one month

Honestly, I didn't catch the story for this very well; accidentally went out of order and kept getting interrupted. There's a bit about someone getting stabbed at a carnival, I think it's your character. :dunno:

Decent little indie that switches things up each stage, and does pretty well for most of them. The first-person platforming is a bit of a headache, but manageable with a bit of practice. "Dodge the cars" racing, a maze, a horror-esque pitch black stage where all you get is the option of a flashlight... it's a short title that was on PS+ at one point, worth a look.

• Like 1

Ok, I finished 4 games for the challenge this month (I think), all plats.

Abyss: The Wraiths Of Eden (multiple abductions occur during the game)

The Raven (murder, robberies which you either solve or take part in depending on your character) - this also gets HC as you play criminals at points

Blind Men (VN with either you committing a diamond heist or a kidnapping depending on path - the real crime is making us pay for this crappy game) - also HC, and game came out April 2020 so the less than 6 months old challenge as well

Sherlock Holmes: The Devil’s Daughter (solve multiple crimes as the Great Detective)

3 of the games are also for the Gaming by Numbers event. So I also get the 4 game challenge done as well.  Good month for a change.

Question for this month’s likely winner, does the soundtrack have to be the game soundtrack itself or if the game is based on an IP from another media which has a soundtrack that it robs from (ie Star Wars, Lord of the Rings), does that count?

The game for this month is, no extra challenges met, just the game, and the game was about solving crimes all the time so, yeah there it is.

1M59e739.png Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter

My stats at the end of the month:

Platinum trophies: this month 40 (+2) / all year (+9);
  100% completed: this month 51 (+2) / all year (+9);
  Completion: 51.68% this month (-0.6%) / this year (0,9%).

Edited by Gesyca
I forgot to update the all year progress, sorry

I finished two games in August (almost 3!) with Rogue Aces and The Last of Us 2. Rogue is a fun little flight 2d side-scroller that I played on my Vita when I was on vacation. It was free a while back and was actually quite a bit of fun. A few weird trophy requirements, but nothing too bad. While it is a game that takes place during a war...I don't really think it counts for the monthly theme of murder. TLOU2 on the other hand, fits that bill in spades and should count for the HC for the month. The game counts towards a different PSNP event and is a game that was released during the last 6 months. I know that game is highly controversial, however I liked it quite a bit.

I am 3 Dragun kills away from 100% Enter the Gungeon, but it'll take another hour or so and I'm too tired now to try. It could maybe have counted for the theme and the HC...one of the characters you play is a Convict, and one of the NPC's is trapped in the Gungeon due to a murder....but it's not really a 'crime' game so I don't mind finishing it for next month. Either way, Gungeon is one of the best games I've played in a while. I haven't played a ton of rogue-lite style games and this game is great. Hard plat, but in a good way.

August Stats:

Platinums: 114 + 2 ~> 119

100%: 128 + 1 ~> 133

Completion: 97.87% ~> 98.77 (+0.90%)

Year to Date:

Platinums: 102 + 17 ~> 119

100%: 117 + 16 ~> 133

Completion:  99.14% ~> 98.77% (-0.37%)

10 hours ago, Kevvik said:

Ok, I finished 4 games for the challenge this month (I think), all plats.

Abyss: The Wraiths Of Eden (multiple abductions occur during the game)

The Raven (murder, robberies which you either solve or take part in depending on your character) - this also gets HC as you play criminals at points

Blind Men (VN with either you committing a diamond heist or a kidnapping depending on path - the real crime is making us pay for this crappy game) - also HC, and game came out April 2020 so the less than 6 months old challenge as well

Sherlock Holmes: The Devil’s Daughter (solve multiple crimes as the Great Detective)

3 of the games are also for the Gaming by Numbers event. So I also get the 4 game challenge done as well.  Good month for a change.

Question for this month’s likely winner, does the soundtrack have to be the game soundtrack itself or if the game is based on an IP from another media which has a soundtrack that it robs from (ie Star Wars, Lord of the Rings), does that count?

The soundtrack has to be from the game.

My update for August - unfortunately I don't think I can tie a 4th one to the theme for the challenge :(

:platinum: Marvel's Spider-Man - Obvious super-hero vs criminals game fitting the month's theme

Complete a game that you started this month

- Complete a game that counts towards a different PSNP event. (Gaming by numbers)

:platinum: Call of Cthulhu - You play as a detective investigating the death of a woman, foul play is suspected. You also deal with a murdering doctor, gang boss among other criminals/crimes.

- Complete a game that counts towards a different PSNP event. (Gaming by numbers)

- Complete a game that fulfills the Hardcore requirement of that month. (See spoiler)

Spoiler

Debateable, you uncover a cult that has been behind various crimes and deaths on the island. One of the possible endings involves you joining the cult and completing the ritual they perform pretty much bringing about the end of the world, and also potentially shooting an innocent man, depending on choices.

:platinum: Guacamelee! - The plot involves the hero trying to rescue the presidents daughter, who has been kidnapped by the antagonist. Also saving the world, but the kidnapping is the key point here

- Complete all currently released DLC of a game (games only count once, even if more DLC is released throughout the event).

Stats & Change since joining
Platinum trophies: 84 / +12
100% completed: 109 / +14
Completion: 67.13% / +3.48%

9 hours ago, Gesyca said:

The game for this month is, no extra challenges met, just the game, and the game was about solving crimes all the time so, yeah there it is.

1M59e739.png Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter

My stats at the end of the month:

Platinum trophies: this month 40 (+2) / all year (+7);
  100% completed: this month 51 (+2) / all year (+7);
  Completion: 51.68% this month (-0.6%) / this year (0,9%).

Your stats are a bit wrong you got +9 plats and +9 100% completed games.

9 hours ago, Briste said:

I finished two games in August (almost 3!) with Rogue Aces and The Last of Us 2. Rogue is a fun little flight 2d side-scroller that I played on my Vita when I was on vacation. It was free a while back and was actually quite a bit of fun. A few weird trophy requirements, but nothing too bad. While it is a game that takes place during a war...I don't really think it counts for the monthly theme of murder. TLOU2 on the other hand, fits that bill in spades and should count for the HC for the month. The game counts towards a different PSNP event and is a game that was released during the last 6 months. I know that game is highly controversial, however I liked it quite a bit.

I am 3 Dragun kills away from 100% Enter the Gungeon, but it'll take another hour or so and I'm too tired now to try. It could maybe have counted for the theme and the HC...one of the characters you play is a Convict, and one of the NPC's is trapped in the Gungeon due to a murder....but it's not really a 'crime' game so I don't mind finishing it for next month. Either way, Gungeon is one of the best games I've played in a while. I haven't played a ton of rogue-lite style games and this game is great. Hard plat, but in a good way.

August Stats:

Platinums: 114 + 2 ~> 119

100%: 128 + 1 ~> 133

Completion: 97.87% ~> 98.77 (+0.90%)

Year to Date:

Platinums: 102 + 17 ~> 119

100%: 117 + 16 ~> 133

Completion:  99.14% ~> 98.77% (-0.37%)

I think you don't really see any crime in Enter the Gungeon so I wouldn't count it for this month.

For myselfe I'll use a skip for this month with Spyro 2.

I started Saint's Row 3 Remastered but didn't finish it.

Next month's theme will be "Remember the Music"

A game without music would be very silent. Good that it is there.

Any game that has its soundtrack available to listen to on any digital platform counts this month.

Examples: Bastion, L.A. Noire, Skyrim

The only thing better to listening to your favourite soundtrack online is to be able to put it on your shelve.

Any game that has its soundtrack available on vinyl counts for the hardcore theme.

Examples: The Last Guardians, Cuphead, Dark Souls

Here are the reminder for those without a game for August:

@AmarisSkye, @Ampplaca, @brejdak93, @eigen-space, @Hunter226444, @MeanEdge89, @Psy-Tychist, @Rello-Evante, @scarishbal, @starcrunch061, @The_Raltos, @xLetsP1ayGod, @WDB_Chaotic, @ZachGM91

I finished it in overtime but I was able to get one game done.

Agents of Mayhem: You're saving the world from an evil organization. I might be reading into it a bit, but there's kidnapping citizens, destruction of public property, murder, a space laser (probably brakes the Outer Space Treaty) and there's probably some laws broken when they mind control people, among other things that I'm forgetting about.

• Fulfills the Hardcore requirement: Count this if you want. Your boss is a former member of the bad guys, but you don't get to play as her. 

Platinum trophies: 100 (+18)
100% completed: 124 (+23)
Completion: 91.00% (-0.82%)

I completed 5 games in August for Xbox

Spoiler

1. L.A. Noire

2. Adventure Time: Finn and Jake Investigations

3.  Agatha Christie - The ABC Murders

4.Grand Theft Auto IV

• Complete a 10 year old game. (Anything released before or within 2010 will be eligible as well as any kind of remake/-master or rerelease of those games)
  • Complete a game that fulfills the Hardcore requirement of that month.
  • Complete all currently released DLC of a game (games only count once, even if more DLC is released throughout the event).
  • Complete a Game in which you got your first trophy a year ago.
  • Complete 4 games within one month.

5. Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishments (Xbox 360)

https://www.trueachievements.com/gamer/Hunter226037/gamecollection

Edited by Hunter226444