Top 10 Games of the Decade

Venocide

12 minutes ago, Akrioz said:

*everything*

Are you me? This is mostly just telling me to get off my ass and finish Resonance of Fate more than anything since I've had it incomplete since 2012 or so. Everything else is a hard agree or games I've bought but haven't got around to playing yet other than Spider-man which I don't have. I might just go check your trophy list and buy anything I don't have.

• Like 1

I started "late" sometime in 2012, and I didn't have a PS3 at the start. So I probably ended up with more PS Vita titles in my list.

1. Gravity Rush
  2. Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
  3. Persona 4 Golden
  4. Child of Light
  5. Steins;Gate
  6. Tales of Berseria
  7. Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
  8. Life is Strange
  9. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
  10. Monster Hunter World
  • Like 2

What I don't like about these kind of topics (general topics, not forum topics) is that I have to decide between artificially restricting myself to just new releases and one game per franchise or not. While there are times that leaving out remasters (all types) and prequels/sequels/midquels/spinoffs are justified, it still partially sucks. Whelp, time to make that restrictive new releases/one game per franchise/PlayStation only list(s)....

Top 10 (accommodating for when online servers were up for some of these games. No order)

• Resistance 2 (action-adventure FPS)
  • Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (action-adventure TPS, platformer)
  • PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale (2D party brawler) 
  • ModNation Racers (vehicular combat kart racer)
  • The Walking Dead - A Telltale Series Season 1 or 2 (Season 4 has best gameplay, though) (Graphic adventure/interactive drama)
  • Dead Space 2 or 3 (action survival-horror)
  • Borderlands or Borderlands 2 (FPS-RPG)
  • Horizon Zero Dawn (openworld ARPG)
  • Gravity Rush 2 (openworld action-adventure)
  • Dying Light (openworld, survival-horror RPG)

The separation and second list is needed, because some games listed above were only as fun or great as they were because of their online play. Without the online play, massive replay-value, fun, and content is lost.

Until I play more from the backlog, the Neo-Top 10 (no order)

• Dead Nation (twin-stick shooter)
  • Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 (wide arena fighting-RPG)
  • Dishonored or Dishonored 2 (action-stealth adventure)
  • Far Cry 3 or 4 (openworld survival FPS)
  • The Walking Dead - A Telltale Series Season 1 or 2 (Season 4 has best gameplay, though) (Graphic adventure/interactive drama)
  • Dead Space 2 or 3 (action survival-horror)
  • Borderlands or Borderlands 2 (FPS-RPG)
  • Horizon Zero Dawn (openworld ARPG)
  • Gravity Rush 2 (openworld action-adventure)
  • Dying Light (openworld, survival-horror RPG)

While this list is mostly genuine, I've also somewhat used the games chosen to take the place of others from similar genres I could have mentioned: Dishonored series over the Styx series (even though I prefer Styx in term of pure stealth), Dead Space over Alien Isolation, and The Walking Dead over Until Dawn and Heavy Rain.

The first list was just way too problematic to make and use as a go-to. 

Edited by EcoShifter
  • Like 1

Hmm, with no particular order

Mafia 2

Batman Arkham City

Bloodborne

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Witcher 3 Wild hunt

Tales of Xillia  (Haven't played Berseria yet)

God of war 3

Until dawn

Dead Space 2

A plague tale: Innocence 

Honorable mention: Uncharted 3, Life is strange, Gravity Rush.

Edited by GoldenShaka

It's always difficult to make these kind of top 10s. And whenever i make one they always change. But here we go again, in no particular order:

• WipEout Omega Collection - Combined two great games as well as add additional content and a VR mode. It's the best entry in the series.
  • Zero Escape The Nonary Games - Again a combination of two great games. Alot of improvements added (Voice acting for the entire first game)
  • Nier Automata - Great Combat and emotional story. It's also probably my most listened OST from any game.
  • Monster Hunter World - The best CO-OP game out there. Spend countless of hours on this with friends enjoying the gameplay loop of killing monsters and crafting armour. The constant updates and support from capcom is also something that deserves recognition.
  • Hearthstone - My 3rd most played game. It is the most fleshed out CCG out there.
  • Divinity Original Sin 2 - This one speaks for itself. The game just hits all the right spots you want out of a isometric RPG. Interesting world, tons of lore, diverse cast of companions and ofcourse the ability to play it in co-op.
  • Mass Effect 2 - My favourite out of the trilogy. The Shepard trilogy is something special, it's probably the most invested i've been in any game's story.
  • Alice Madness Returns - I absolutely love the art style of this game. It tells a classic story in a whole new way and it is a joy to play through.
  • Dragon Quest XI (S) - The best JRPG i have played. 
  • Gravity Rush: Remastered - I loved this game on the Vita and it works even better on the PS4. The world, story and characters fit together so seamlessly. 

Bonus: EDF 2

Edited by xZoneHunter
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can't really put a ranking to them..

GTA V

Horizon Zero Dawn

God of War

Uncharted 4

Days Gone

Marvels Spiderman

Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order

Assassins Creed Black Flag/Origins (can't really pick between the 2 as both and absolutely awesome)

Monster Hunter World

Destiny (no matter how much I hate bungle for merging everything into the ground and giving everything away on a silver plate, I just can't seem to pull myself away and keep finding myself coming back)

My list would've been different if I had played a few more in my backlog that's only getting bigger, I've seen real good things about the following.

The Last of Us, Witcher 3, Nier Automata, Bloodborne, Sekiro, eventually I'll get to them..

• 2 weeks later...

1. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

2. Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy

3. The Last of Us

4. BioShock Infinite

5. Marvel's Spider-man

6. Kingdom Hearts III

7. Detroit: Become Human

8. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

9. Dishonored

10. Heavy Rain

Honorable Mentions: inFAMOUS 2, Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, Batman: The Enemy Within, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, Red Dead Redemption

• Like 1

On 20/12/2019 at 9:05 PM, dannyswfc9 said:

Looking back what a wonderful decade of gaming. My picks are.....

1. Gta 5 - masterpiece

2. God of war - best reboot of the decade

3. Ac origins - shows what they can do after so many bad attempts

4. Astro bot vr - WOW what an experience this was

5. Days gone - underated at first but give it a chance and you will be rewarded

6. Blood and truth - same as number 4

7. Bioshock infinite - best ps3 game imo

8. Rayman legends - best platforming game of the generation (not including vr) and those musical levels ?

9. Spiderman - big risk but payed off massively

10. Overwatch - suberb multiplayer with friends

Up vote for Astro Bot. That and persona 4 golden are the only games that even enter my mind unfortunately.

• Like 1

This is in no particular order:

- Bloodborne

- NieR: Automata

- Persona 5

- Kingdom Hearts 3

- Bioshock Infinite

- Dragon Quest XI

- Final Fantasy XV

- Furi

- Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

- GTA V

Honorable mentions: Final Fantasy XIII, The Witcher 3 and Horizon Zero Dawn.

There were a lot of damn good games this decade though!

Edited by dreebees

1. Witcher 3

2. Dark Souls

3. Bloodborne

4. Sekiro

5. Red Dead Redemption 2

6. Grand Theft Auto 5

7. The Last of Us

8. Nier Automata

9. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

10. Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain

Edited by Ptirle

No real order.

Honorable Mentions
- Life is Strange/Before the Storm
- Telltale's The Wolf Among Us
- The Last of Us/Uncharted 2

10. Assassin's Creed Odyssey
9. Batman Arkham City
8. Gone Home/Tacoma

7. Marvel's Spider-Man

6. Remember Me

5. Soma

4. Her Story

3. Oxenfree

2. Resident Evil 2 Remake

1. Dragon's Dogma 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

1. Bloodborne

2. The Last Of Us Remastered

3. Alan Wake

4. The Witcher 3

5. Downwell

6. Papers, Please

7. Resident Evil 2 Remake

8. Hollow Knight

9. Stardew Valley

10. Cuphead

Honourable mentions: Enter The Gungeon, Dark Souls, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Nioh, Yakuza 0, P.T., Control, Titanfall 2, Mario Kart 8, Dead Cells, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Killing Floor, Telltale's The Walking Dead (Season 1), Red Dead Redemption 2.

Edited by Cannibal_Wombat

Not in a specific order regarding the quality, but here's what my list consists of:

1. Aragami 
  2. Bastion 
  3. Gravity Rush (Including both the Vita version and the Remastered re-release.)
  4. Infamous 2 
  5. Modnation Racers
  6. Oxenfree
  7. Persona 4: Golden 
  8. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World 
  9. Tearaway 
  10. The Unfinished Swan

1. Dark Souls III

2. Devil May Cry 5

3. The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth

4. Super Meat Boy

5. Hollow Knight

6. The Last of Us

7. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice 

8. Kingdom Hearts III

9. DOOM

10. God of War III

Honorable Mentions: Bloodborne, Shadow of the Colossus (Remake), The Last Guardian, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, Nioh, Catherine, NieR: Automata, Hyper Light Drifter

Edited by Cyberdyne-7

I reserve the right to tweak and add to the list but this is what I have so far... no particular order...

Portal 2 - probably the only 5+ hour game that I started and finished for the first time in one sitting

Dark Souls - not my cup of tea but credit where credit is due, the series nearly defined the decade.  the atmosphere and bosses are thrilling

Resident Evil 7 - one of the best VR (and by that fact, the best horror) experiences money can buy; the full game is playable in VR and its absolutely terrifying

Final Fantasy XIV - may just be my favorite MMO of all time, and I've dabbled in a lot of MMO's over the years. despite only having started it 2nd half of 2019, and having a hard time committing to it (not for lack of quality)... it was still my most played game of the year

Hollow Knight - doubt I'll ever find a Metroidvania as good as this; great world, great art, great abilities, great bosses, tons and tons of great hidden stuff

Celeste - im not sure I can call it the best pure platformer I've played but its close.  brilliantly tight and clever platforming and a heartwarming story

Skyrim - doubt I'll ever drop 300+ hours into another single player RPG in my life

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

1. Tales of Vesperia- My favourite Tales. I really liked the characters, especially Yuri and also all the side quests and post game content.

2. Final Fantasy X-2 remaster (2013)- My favourite FF game of all time, a controversial opinion but X-2 has always been in my heart since I first played it when I was 12 on PS2

3. Lightning Returns (2013/14)- Lightning is my favourite video game character of all time, I just loved all the customisation and open world feel in this game.

4. Tales of Berseria (2016): This game was amazing, I loved Velvet, she was so cool. 

5. Pokemon ORAS (2014): The Hoenn region was always my favourite

6. Final Fantasy 12 TZA (2017): This remake was amazing, I enjoyed getting the platinum in this and the new job system was so fun

7. Amnesia V Edition (2013): My first and favourite otome game, I also played and loved the fan disks too. 

8. Collar x Malice Unlimited (2018): My favourite otome fan disk, brilliant story and CGs

9. Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5 (2017): I've played all the original KH games so this was a nice nostalgic game. I love Kingdom Hearts as I'm a fan of both Disney and FF. 

10. Bokujou Monogatari, tsunagaru shin tenchi (Story of Seasons) (2014)- I love Harvest Moon games and played this when I was in Japan and loved it. It had so much customisation of your farm and house, the the bachelor selection was very good. It was my favourite HM game.