(spoiler of all games) Uncharted thoughts. Yes I know the game is old.

9 minutes ago, nombre_en_uso867 said:

This is about some shit I liked and didn't like and the plot in general.

I bought the 3 PS3 games because of the good reviews the series have. So why not give them a shot? (Little did I know that it would be me who would take all the shots)

I'm at chapter 13 in drake's fortune on crushing and I'm having a bad time. Crushing mode is the most unfair shit I've ever played. I mean c'mon I emptied a magazine on a guy who's shirtless and he doesn't fucking die, and he's moving too much for a headshot, and then he one-shots me and I die. Sometimes I keep covered but enemy spawns BEHIND me with a shotgun and then I have to do everything again. If I die in 1 or 2 shots and I'm surrounded, how am I supposed to win? Do I rely on luck and hope for every asshole to miss their shots? There is nowhere to take cover from; someone always manages to hit me. "Ok so this guy is near me but no biggie, I've got a shotgun and I'm gonna shoot him to death, but only with R1 because if I aim, I will get shot." So I press R1 and Drake fucking shoots the wall. Like Drake this moron is just a half meter far from you, why do you hate me?

Now let's talk about climbing. I have no problem with it except for the goddamn vines. I press X to jump to a ledge and Drake just drops the vine and wilhelm screams is way to the ground. Man, c'mon this is so broken. Remember Prince of Persia? It had the same vine swinging shit but the difference was that it was actually GOOD. So being an old game is no excuse.

Next is the FUCKING JET SKI LEVELS. THEY ARE UNPLAYABLE. But it's not for the enemies, because you got a grenade launcher (that somehow I'm not allowed to use normally :( ) and infinite ammo, it's because the jet ski is stupid. I can't shoot and move at the same time, even though Drake drives and Elena shoots; I bump into everything and can't go fast (this is worse during chapter 12) and I have to shoot every barrel because I bump into everything. They could just transform that into a cutscene and all good.

Maybe is my bad luck. Maybe is that I'm tired of this game: this is my 3rd playthrough. I really enjoyed it on normal, yeah I got killed anyway, but it was fun. I was starting to get tired at half the Hard playthrough. During chapter 3 of Crushing I realized I didn't want to play this shit anymore. However, the plat is stronger than me so I'm forcing myself to do it. I'm convinced that this game is meant to be played on Normal and only one time or maybe two.

Not everything is bad though. The plot is actually good. Yeah it has its flaws but I can overlook that. I really loved the characters. I love Drake, he's one of the best videogame protagonists I've ever seen. He thinks what everyone thinks while playing: "What??? Where did they all come from???" He's funny, and if I was a gay weaboo I'd marry him. Nonetheless, after playing the third, I noticed that the 3 games have more or less the same plot all over again.

• Drake finds a clue of an ancient explorer that leads to a treasure.
  • Drake notices that some asshole is also after the treasure.
  • Drake decides to fight.
  • Drake realizes he's outnumbered. Drake has a conversation with another character about quitting. The three games have the same conversation; the only thing that changes is which side is Drake on.
  • Sooner or later, Drake discovers that the treasure was not what he had in mind (El Dorado was a statue, not a city; Marco polo didn't find a stone, he found an entire city)
  • Drake finds his way to the treasure but, surprise, the antagonist arrived first (in U:DF this is quite odd, the secret room that supposedly no one has ever entered in a long time, being Drake and pals the first ones to enter, already has some enemies inside. How did they make it if they had no idea of that secret room?)
  • Drake and pals kill everyone, but at some point they are forced to drop their weapons at gunpoint.
  • Drake realizes the ancient explorer actually wanted to keep his discovering a secret (If Marco Polo and Francis Drake really did want to keep their discovering a secret, why didn't they destroy all proof?) and decides to stop the antagonist.
  • Drake gets rid of the discovering. He turns into the nightmare of the architects in U2 and U3, destroying two cities with some guns. ("Three bullets! How could you do this with three goddamn bullets?" -Victor "goddamn" Sullivan)
  • Everything ends well and Drake gets some booty.
  • BONUS: the main antagonists are always british (except for U2, the second antagonist was british)

Out of all the 3 games (I haven't played U4 because I don't own a PS4), the one who applied the formula in a great way was U2. It has everything: betrayal, a hot chick, and a crazy russian guy who wants inmortality. The fist combat was really OP in U1, I got no problem with that, but I really liked the changes it had in U2. In U3, Drake was literally Batman.

Did I enjoy the games? Yeah.

Are they something worth calling Game of the Year? IMO, no. But maybe it's because I didn't play them when they were released? I don't know.

Would I play U4? Sure.

Thanks for reading (or not) please have in mind this is my opinion and you don't have to agree with me.

Very good post tbh, enjoyed reading it, you need to write more shit like this ?

• Like 4

My only recommendation is to practice headshots as they're an instant kill on any difficulty. My consolement for you would be that the PS4 remaster has brutal difficulty, which is a lot more dogshit (dead in 1-2 shots). I have to agree on the rest, the climbing is jank (I die more to that than enemies it seems) and the jet ski manouvers like a drunk whale.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SpaghettiGrabsy said:

My only recommendation is to practice headshots as they're an instant kill on any difficulty. My consolement for you would be that the PS4 remaster has brutal difficulty, which is a lot more dogshit (dead in 1-2 shots). I have to agree on the rest, the climbing is jank (I die more to that than enemies it seems) and the jet ski manouvers like a drunk whale.

Yeah I heard that about practicing the headshots too, but honestly I suck at aiming with a controller lol. Anyway, I'll try because i'm never finishing crushing otherwise haha.

I'm done with crushing, i'll end up jumping out of a window if I ever try brutal lmao

Ok the drunk whale one made me laugh lmao

Thank you so much for your comment :)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, nombre_en_uso867 said:

Yeah I heard that about practicing the headshots too, but honestly I suck at aiming with a controller lol. Anyway, I'll try because i'm never finishing crushing otherwise haha.

I'm done with crushing, i'll end up jumping out of a window if I ever try brutal lmao

Ok the drunk whale one made me laugh lmao

Thank you so much for your comment :)

My unhealthy obsession with 100% will inevitably force me to do a Brutal run, but I should probably do a Crushing run first before I get ahead of myself.

1 hour ago, nombre_en_uso867 said:

Now let's talk about climbing. I have no problem with it except for the goddamn vines. I press X to jump to a ledge and Drake just drops the vine and wilhelm screams his way to the ground. Man, c'mon this is so broken. Remember Prince of Persia? It had the same vine swinging shit but the difference was that it was actually GOOD. So being an old game is no excuse.

I do. It's far too scripted, "hand-holdey", and requires no skill or precision, entirely unlike Tomb Raider's climbing which is among the best design for an action video game. There are at least 3 prominent Youtube channels where the video creators criticize how boring and unskillful the climbing sections are in the Uncharted series, especially U4, and they're right.

Next is the FUCKING JET SKI LEVELS. THEY ARE UNPLAYABLE. But it's not for the enemies, because you got a grenade launcher (that somehow I'm not allowed to use normally :( ) and infinite ammo, it's because the jet ski is stupid. I can't shoot and move at the same time, even though Drake drives and Elena shoots; I bump into everything and can't go fast (this is worse during chapter 12) and I have to shoot every barrel because I bump into everything. They could just transform that into a cutscene and all good.

The Jetski levels are just one of many areas within Uncharted Drake's Fortune that shows the game hasn't aged well. Even the remastered version by Bluepoint Games didn't do much for it. Its pretty amusing how Naughty Dog's 2001 game on PS2 has, which has sections non-coincidentally similar to the ski sections (obvious inspiration was drawn from their prior series there... and much throughout the series in full honesty), aged better than their 2006 game on PS3.

Nonetheless, after playing the third, I noticed that the 3 games have more or less the same plot all over again.

• Drake finds a clue of an ancient explorer that leads to a treasure.
  • Drake notices that some asshole is also after the treasure.
  • Drake decides to fight.
  • Drake realizes he's outnumbered. Drake has a conversation with another character about quitting. The three games have the same conversation; the only thing that changes is which side is Drake on.
  • Sooner or later, Drake discovers that the treasure was not what he had in mind (El Dorado was a statue, not a city; Marco polo didn't find a stone, he found an entire city)
  • Drake finds his way to the treasure but, surprise, the antagonist arrived first (in U:DF this is quite odd, the secret room that supposedly no one has ever entered in a long time, being Drake and pals the first ones to enter, already has some enemies inside. How did they make it if they had no idea of that secret room?)
  • Drake and pals kill everyone, but at some point they are forced to drop their weapons at gunpoint.
  • Drake realizes the ancient explorer actually wanted to keep his discovering a secret (If Marco Polo and Francis Drake really did want to keep their discovering a secret, why didn't they destroy all proof?) and decides to stop the antagonist.
  • Drake gets rid of the discovering. He turns into the nightmare of the architects in U2 and U3, destroying two cities with some guns. ("Three bullets! How could you do this with three goddamn bullets?" -Victor "goddamn" Sullivan)
  • Everything ends well and Drake gets some booty.
  • BONUS: the main antagonists are always british (except for U2, the second antagonist was british)

Yep, that's one of multiple issues I have with the series as well. Uncharted 3 mixed it up just a bit... and really... it has the better story. U2's just might have better overall writing.

Out of all the 3 games (I haven't played U4 because I don't own a PS4), the one who applied the formula in a great way was U2. It has everything: betrayal, a hot chick, and a crazy russian guy who wants inmortality. The fist combat; In U3, Drake was literally Batman.

I'd say Uncharted 3 is the one with "everything", trilogy wise, excluding the lacking in-game store and non-reactive to bullet enemies. While I typically praise the melee combat in U3, simply because it's the best the entire series has seen and actually one of the few mechanics that requires a decent level of skill, it doesn't touch games with similar melee systems, like Batman and Mad Max. It's just good relative to other installments from its own series. Till this day I still resent U4 for regressing heavily to a square masher, one of multiple bad ideas U4 took from The Last of Us (hello numerous, identical crates spread around the world and more walking-simulator sections that U3 was already criticized for having too much of compared to its predecessor, as two examples).

Are they something worth calling Game of the Year? IMO, no. But maybe it's because I didn't play them when they were released? I don't know.

Agree to that as well. They were better around their release I guess, but they were still overrated even during those times. I have always preferred similar series like inFAMOUS (climbing/TPS/story-oriented/character driven), Tomb Raider, and whatever else over it, because they were being equally progressive with story and gameplay, rather than letting gameplay take a backseat to tell blockbuster movie stories. Now, Uncharted 3 is special to me because of some of its unique gameplay designs that weren't being done in the prior installments and its former online mp. Uncharted 2 is partially special to me because, average/sub-par story and gameplay aside, the mere campaign is very cool. 

Would I play U4? Sure.

Only real reason to play it is because it's canon, even though some of it is canonical bits are asspulls. 

• Like 2

Honestly, the more I play Uncharted, the more I realize I don't really like it, except when using the Sas-12, shotguns always felt so great, regardless of games. There definitely are sections that have your heart pumping, but it's too mixed up with pointless puzzles and collectibles scattered around, at least the remaster gave meaning to them outside trophies, I think, being too long since I last played the ps3 versions to remember  if they had cheats, I don't  think the jet sections were that hard, there's plenty of room to hide from gunshots there, you might want to watch out for the chapter where you fight the Smeagols in a dark room though, I found that run and gunning to be good in this game if you don't use the pistol, there's also the little appreciated detail that the guards and the Smeagols will fight themselves in gameplay. Having said that, I don't think I'll do the brutal run, I don't have enough love for these games to do so.

Edited by scemopagliaccioh
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, EcoShifter said:

I do. It's far too scripted, "hand-holdey", and requires no skill or precision, entirely unlike Tomb Raider's climbing which is among the best design for an action video game. There are at least 3 prominent Youtube channels where the video creators criticize how boring and unskillful the climbing sections are in the Uncharted series, especially U4, and they're right.

I agree. I played very few games that were almost focused on climbing. Only the last two Prince of Persia for PS2 (and I can't think of any other). And I really loved them. But this... uh... this is bullshit right here. Even God of War Ascension did it better IMO, and that game was trying to imitate Uncharted (The existence of treasures, climbing with no skills, a Drake reference on one of the game's trophies...). Like, come on.

The Jetski levels are just one of many areas within Uncharted Drake's Fortune that shows the game hasn't aged well. Even the remastered version by Bluepoint Games didn't do much for it. Its pretty amusing how Naughty Dog's 2001 game on PS2 has, which has sections non-coincidentally similar to the ski sections (obvious inspiration was drawn from their prior series there... and much throughout the series in full honesty), aged better than their 2006 game on PS3.

In general, I hate levels where you have to drive anything. Even if it aged well i'd still hate it anyway. That's why I don't touch driving simulator games like GT5. It's a shame they didn't do much for that in the remaster.

Yep, that's one of multiple issues I have with the series as well. Uncharted 3 mixed it up just a bit... and really... it has the better story. U2's just might have better overall writing.

Well, yeah, now that you mention it...

I'd say Uncharted 3 is the one with "everything", trilogy wise, excluding the lacking in-game store and non-reactive to bullet enemies. While I typically praise the melee combat in U3, simply because it's the best the entire series has seen and actually one of the few mechanics that requires a decent level of skill, it doesn't touch games with similar melee systems, like Batman and Mad Max. It's just good relative to other installments from its own series. Till this day I still resent U4 for regressing heavily to a square masher, one of multiple bad ideas U4 took from The Last of Us (hello numerous, identical crates spread around the world and more walking-simulator sections that U3 was already criticized for having too much of compared to its predecessor, as two examples).

Yeah, but having Drake beating the shit outta everyone in a bar it's just some Batman crap lmao. It's like I'm okay with that and I'm not okay with that. But yeah, that requires more skill than just simply square triangule square everyone. I'm glad that they improved the melee combat.

Also about the Death Stranding walking simulator thing, I really got pissed when they made me walk in the desert for 3 days. Isn't a cutscene better? I was okay with Young Nate following Sully, but this is just ridiculous. If U4 has too many walking sections, maybe I'll rethink. 

Oh and also it's ridiculous how Nate is strong enough to climb after wandering in the desert for 3 days without eating and drinking. I don't expect realism from these games since U1 zombies, but...really? 

Agree to that as well. They were better around their release I guess, but they were still overrated even during those times. I have always preferred similar series like inFAMOUS (climbing/TPS/story-oriented/character driven), Tomb Raider, and whatever else over it, because they were being equally progressive with story and gameplay, rather than letting gameplay take a backseat to tell blockbuster movie stories. Now, Uncharted 3 is special to me because of some of its unique gameplay designs that weren't being done in the prior installments and its former online mp. Uncharted 2 is partially special to me because, average/sub-par story and gameplay aside, the mere campaign is very cool. 

Yep, I felt like Uncharted could be a movie with no problem. Sometimes I felt the gameplay was there just so you can call it a game. Unfortunately I couldn't try the multiplayer, and that's a thing I would have liked to try.

Only real reason to play it is because it's canon, even though some of it is canonical bits are asspulls. 

So it's not really important? Anyway I don't think I'll buy a PS4 anytime soon lol.

42 minutes ago, SpaghettiGrabsy said:

I'll hold you to that. :-)

I'm counting on that

29 minutes ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

Honestly, the more I play Uncharted, the more I realize I don't really like it, except when using the Sas-12, shotguns always felt so great, regardless of games. There definitely are sections that have your heart pumping, but it's too mixed up with pointless puzzles and collectibles scattered around, at least the remaster gave meaning to them outside trophies, I think, being too long since I last played the ps3 versions to remember  if they had cheats, I don't  think the jet sections were that hard, there's plenty of room to hide from gunshots there, you might want to watch out for the chapter where you fight the Smeagols in a dark room though, I found that run and gunning to be good in this game if you don't use the pistol, there's also the little appreciated detail that the guards and the Smeagols will fight themselves in gameplay. Having said that, I don't think I'll do the brutal run, I don't have enough love for these games to do so.

Shotguns are always fun to use indeed, until some other asshole starts using them too lmao.

Yes, U1 and U2 have cheats on PS3, but they removed them on U3.

The jet ski was hard because of this

2 hours ago, SpaghettiGrabsy said:

the jet ski manouvers like a drunk whale.

And if there isn't a trophy for Brutal just don't do it. Don't push yourself to madness hahaha

Edited by nombre_en_uso867
  • Like 1

And if there isn't a trophy for Brutal just don't do it. Don't push yourself to madness hahaha

There is. That's literally the only reason I want to do this. I'll need to get some other games done first before I devote time to that though.

2 hours ago, EcoShifter said:

So it's not really important? Anyway I don't think I'll buy a PS4 anytime soon lol.

I think it's a good enough game, but I found it really started to drag a bit during the second 1/2-1/3. Still worth playing though in my opinion, it wraps up things nicely.

1 hour ago, SpaghettiGrabsy said:

I'll hold you to that. :-)

I'm counting on that

I'll be back one day. This thread will be dead and buried and I'll dig it up again asking for my deity status.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SpaghettiGrabsy said:

There is. That's literally the only reason I want to do this. I'll need to get some other games done first before I devote time to that though.

I think it's a good enough game, but I found it really started to drag a bit during the second 1/2-1/3. Still worth playing though in my opinion, it wraps up things nicely.

I'll be back one day. This thread will be dead and buried and I'll dig it up again asking for my deity status.

I really think that adding a new difficulty is pointless and stupid, oh well.

Okay see you later lmao

• Like 1

Yeah, but having Drake beating the shit outta everyone in a bar it's just some Batman crap lmao. It's like I'm okay with that and I'm not okay with that. But yeah, that requires more skill than just simply square triangule square everyone. I'm glad that they improved the melee combat.

So that's what you meant. I thought you were referring to the melee combat system. 

Also about the Death Stranding walking simulator thing, I really got pissed when they made me walk in the desert for 3 days. Isn't a cutscene better? I was okay with Young Nate following Sully, but this is just ridiculous. If U4 has too many walking sections, maybe I'll rethink. 

I get that. Ha, looks like you wanted them to do what they did in Jak 3—making it a cutscene. I think i'm indifferent on this section, but yes the gameplay portion at least is tedious. That makes sense, because there is a combination of stealth, climbing, and jumping involved there, as opposed to just walking.

Oh and also it's ridiculous how Nate is strong enough to climb after wandering in the desert for 3 days without eating and drinking.

Themes similar to this are recurring through the whole series. Remember literally the entire train segment post-gun shot in the Himalayas during Uncharted 2? Nathan gets shot in the stomach area, immediately wounded, yet survives the derailed train crash heading down the side of the mountain with no straps or secure holding (and again injured), then is seen safe and conveniently resting on the seat after the accident, then in his still weakened state and with no adrenaline is able to climb the off-cliff derailed train vertically.. in extremely cold weather condition (note his heavily anti-weather clothing also).

I don't expect realism from these games since U1 zombies, but...really? 

U4 explicitly went about making itself more realistic, but it only works for some story-related events, not the gameplay. Things like the grappling hook physics and angles they can be thrown in is entirely unrealistic. (Uncharted 2 doesn't have this issue with their grappling hooks, so it's a solid complaint.) Then there's the fact that the (overdue in the series) "driveable" jeep can never be flipped over fully while driving incompetently/recklessly, which is incredibly unrealistic. And more. Essentially, U4 is just more realistic in that it rids the series of its prior supernatural element, even though U3 was the one that really started it.

Yep, I felt like Uncharted could be a movie with no problem. Sometimes I felt the gameplay was there just so you can call it a game. Unfortunately I couldn't try the multiplayer, and that's a thing I would have liked to try.

You're not really wrong. Of course the stories would have to be partially reworked to accommodate for becoming a full film instead of being a story told in a video game, but yeah. I've said at times that Naughty Dog might as well make games in the "Interactive Movie" genre, which is a legitimate game genre, that they seemingly aspire to be like with their games. What makes their "story-driven" games worse is the lack of actual story related depth in that of branching paths, multiple endings, etc, things both interactive movie games (Heavy Rain, Until Dawn, Detroit Become Human, etc) and non-interactive movie, true single player actual-focused games (Dishonored, Bioshock, etc) do. The genre focus on story and storytelling, which is also what Naughty Dog does, but with actual player-interactions during cinematic looking scenes. ND's gameplay, outside setpieces, hasn't been engaging and compelling since their Jak and Daxter series. Anyway, the mechanics in ND's games are typically well animated, transition well, and feel good, but there's a lack of depth, innovation, and "highly fun", especially continuously, gameplay.

This is actual compelling gameplay:

(This is just the first game.)

So it's not really important? 

Gameplay wise, yes, especially since it takes more from the Tomb Raider games (making it unoriginal by logic).. and does worse with most of them (e.g., climbing pike, grappling hook, terrain slide, etc). It's a (action) video game, after-all. Story is different because in it canon is canon regardless of platform, and it's technically the true (and overwritten) conclusion to the Nathan "Drake" storyline.

Edited by EcoShifter
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, EcoShifter said:

I get that. Ha, looks like you wanted them to do what they did in Jak 3—making it a cutscene. I think i'm indifferent on this section, but yes the gameplay portion at least is tedious. That makes sense, because there is a combination of stealth, climbing, and jumping involved there, as opposed to just walking.

Now that you mention stealth...

I don't know what they tried to do with stealth. I could never take all the thugs down without being spotted. It's just really hard, if not impossible. There's always an asshole watching the entire area from above (for example, the U2 lazarovich camp section, where you had to activate the explosives). Stealth sucks on those games. In U3 I noticed an improvement but it's very far from perfect. Maybe is that I'm used to the Arkham stealth sections?

Themes similar to this are recurring through the whole series. Remember literally the entire train segment post-gun shot in the Himalayas during Uncharted 2? Nathan gets shot in the stomach area, immediately wounded, yet survives the derailed train crash heading down the side of the mountain with no straps or secure holding (and again injured), then is seen safe and conveniently resting on the seat after the accident, then in his still weakened state and with no adrenaline is able to climb the off-cliff derailed train vertically.. in extremely cold weather condition (note his heavily anti-weather clothing also).

Yeah but that was so badass that I had to let it go. I think that's one of the best intros a game could have.

This is actual compelling gameplay:

Holy crap that looks fun as hell (and OP as fuck but who cares, it looks GOOD).

I'm planning to play Bioshock someday, but Dishonored looks lit dude, I'm adding that game to my list thank you

I did it folks! I finally kicked the game's ass on Crushing! Those last two chapters made me realize something: Sully doesn't kill shit. He was watching me struggling with the idiots and dying 80 times. And the Navarro boss fight was even more bullshit than on Hard. But hey, I finally got the plat, now I'm gonna see if I can sell the game because I'm not touching it anymore. 

Edited by nombre_en_uso867
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, nombre_en_uso867 said:

Holy crap that looks fun as hell (and OP as fuck but who cares, it looks GOOD).

I'm planning to play Bioshock someday, but Dishonored looks lit dude, I'm adding that game to my list thank you

Dishonoured is the shit. It's only OP because he's doing a high chaos run and is clearly a master of the game. Doing it without killing and no powers is the arse kicking challenge but so satisfying.

3 hours ago, nombre_en_uso867 said:

I did it folks! I finally kicked the game's ass on Crushing! Those last two chapters made me realize something: Sully doesn't kill shit. He was watching me struggling with the idiots and dying 80 times. And the Navarro boss fight was even more bullshit than on Hard. But hey, I finally got the plat, now I'm gonna see if I can sell the game because I'm not touching it anymore. 

Nice work mate. Sully is too busy enjoying his cigars to worry about Nate getting slaughtered lol.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, nombre_en_uso867 said:

I really think that adding a new difficulty is pointless and stupid, oh well.

It's especially baffling when you consider that the remastered trilogy was released a year before Uncharted 4 but Uncharted 4 doesn't have brutal difficulty, like it was added to the remasters for... reasons or something.

• Like 2