why is there 160 crimes in this game

melodicmizery

Overkill if you ask me. There shouldn’t have been more than 50 or 100, proportionate to the map size without constantly reappearing in each district. I had done 50/60ish by the end of the main story and doing 100 more led me on the brink of insanity so I had to put the game down and pick it up a month later to finish it off. I don’t know how some people could do it all in one go, even the busy president of Sony’s worldwide development Shuhei Yoshida marathoned it, so who am I to say it’s too much? 

• Like 2

The crooks of Spidey's New York aren't very original or smart and just like doing the same crimes over & over.

But yeah it's a little boring, best off doing the Crimea while you've still got story missions to do to ease the repetitiveness.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2019 at 2:34 AM, skateak said:

Gametime padding. With 194 plats, you should be used to this by now haha.

LOL good one. i wish i could get use to it. i keep thinking its going to get better and it doesnt

On 12/21/2019 at 2:50 AM, TOAST13TOA5T said:

Lol was gonna say, also mate if you're just doing that one repetitive task you're gonna feel it quite bad. You should space that out more I just did a couple after each big mission or on the way to other stuff. I will admit though I was really disappointed when I discovered it was like the same 5 missions just on repeat and in a different location, only so many times you can pull the bloody doors off a car.

i made the mistake of browsing the guide and just doing them at the end. i didnt really pay attention to how many overall there was. i was just flying past them. then i got everything done and i was like holy crap these never friggen end!!

• Like 1

Yeah, it really adds a lot of unnecessary time since there are so many similar crimes.  I think they would have benefited from making the crimes more like side missions in which you’re tasked to do something similar to the original version of crimes, but adding a little extra story or make them a little more scripted.  It just felt like busy work with very little reward in terms of story or map changes.

The DLCs are no better but I used the other side activities to kinda give me a break from the crime grind.

Definitely not a game that you want to let the optional stuff pile up for the end. I did little bits here and there and sometimes when I wanted a break from main story I'd go off on a binge, drilling out optional repeat stuff made the main story kind of like a way of self reward to mix it up. I guess they could've made it like they did for central park, only certain factions operate in certain areas etc.(Central park is only worked over by thugs, so they could've applied the same logic to other areas.)

• Like 1

On 23/12/2019 at 4:18 AM, melodicmizery said:

LOL good one. i wish i could get use to it. i keep thinking its going to get better and it doesnt

i made the mistake of browsing the guide and just doing them at the end. i didnt really pay attention to how many overall there was. i was just flying past them. then i got everything done and i was like holy crap these never friggen end!!

i always get sidetracked by these kinda things so when i get back to the story i'm usually overpowered

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hey, I know I'm a bit late to this but I found a great tip on quickly completing all the crimes in this game.

Not sure if it's still working, but if you fast travel around, you can quickly get crimes to spawn instead of swinging around looking for them.

This helped me a lot when I was going for the plat last year.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah this was one of the things that made the difference between great game and good game. The side content was pretty weak in general. Crimes especially! I understand Insomniac hasn't made many big open worlds so I think that is something not to forget. I really hope they improve the side content in a sequel because I felt that's what let the game down. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a fun game and I enjoyed it but I don't think it justifies the really high reviews it's been getting. And honestly it feels like the Arkham games were super ripped off. There are SO many similarities. Personally I think the first two Arkham games were better and I'm a Marvel fan. Still say Spidey gets an 8/10 though.

Edited by Last-_-Judgment

On 6/2/2020 at 11:01 AM, DemonicDraco said:

This was only mildly annoying probably towards the bottom of my list of annoying grinds theres so much worse out there.

I think for a game that boasts professional reviews of 9s out of 10, the crimes alone shouldn't be so damn boring - nevermind the rest of the side content which to me feels weak in comparison to other highly rated games. I'd understand for an online game or for a RPG but for a sandbox game it's pretty overkill to make you do 160 crimes when you barely cross half of them throughout the course of the game (depending how much you explore of course). They could have been more imaginative that's for sure. Feels like some tedious shit Ubisoft would do.

On another note, I've been doing the DLCs. Although games usually aren't rated on DLCs, Insomniac couldn't have been MORE lazy with them. Just throwing together the carbon copy side content from the main game and mashing into each DLC without a care in the world. The Heist was decent but the other two DLCs are just the most tedious crap in the entire game. But overall, you don't need to add in another 25-odd crimes into each DLC when the story lasts 4 or 5 missions each. Such lazy development. Also, to seriously to milk off Screwball to produce side content for EACH DLC is unforgivable. She got way too much content for such a weak, annoying character who is barely even a big enough character in the Marvel Universe. And don't get me started on the exaggerated enemy spawning and ridiculous new sable tech used which spams the radioactive cells out of you.

I guess I expected more considering everyone was saying how good this game was and me being a Marvel fan. I'm not saying Spider-Man is a bad game nor was the grind unbearable or anything. Not at all. I've played many games that aren't as good as Spider-Man and have had far worse grinds. I just think my frustration comes from my disappointment as the reviews for this game lead me to think it would be a GOTY contender with the likes of RDR2 and GoW of 2018 (and I've played both of them and this title doesn't scratch the surface of both those masterpieces). It has a great story (though some parts were pretty meh in Act 1 and 2 - especially the stealth missions as MJ and Miles), great details that refer to other parts of the marvel universe, great dialogue, fun combat, good game mechanics. Some of the side content was fun such as the science projects and Harry's research stations. But all the other side content was just below average imo and mostly felt like a bit of a drag. I don't think 9/10 is justified.

12 hours ago, Last-_-Judgment said:

I think for a game that boasts professional reviews of 9s out of 10, the crimes alone shouldn't be so damn boring - nevermind the rest of the side content which to me feels weak in comparison to other highly rated games. I'd understand for an online game or for a RPG but for a sandbox game it's pretty overkill to make you do 160 crimes when you barely cross half of them throughout the course of the game (depending how much you explore of course). They could have been more imaginative that's for sure. Feels like some tedious shit Ubisoft would do.

On another note, I've been doing the DLCs. Although games usually aren't rated on DLCs, Insomniac couldn't have been MORE lazy with them. Just throwing together the carbon copy side content from the main game and mashing into each DLC without a care in the world. The Heist was decent but the other two DLCs are just the most tedious crap in the entire game. But overall, you don't need to add in another 25-odd crimes into each DLC when the story lasts 4 or 5 missions each. Such lazy development. Also, to seriously to milk off Screwball to produce side content for EACH DLC is unforgivable. She got way too much content for such a weak, annoying character who is barely even a big enough character in the Marvel Universe. And don't get me started on the exaggerated enemy spawning and ridiculous new sable tech used which spams the radioactive cells out of you.

I guess I expected more considering everyone was saying how good this game was and me being a Marvel fan. I'm not saying Spider-Man is a bad game nor was the grind unbearable or anything. Not at all. I've played many games that aren't as good as Spider-Man and have had far worse grinds. I just think my frustration comes from my disappointment as the reviews for this game lead me to think it would be a GOTY contender with the likes of RDR2 and GoW of 2018 (and I've played both of them and this title doesn't scratch the surface of both those masterpieces). It has a great story (though some parts were pretty meh in Act 1 and 2 - especially the stealth missions as MJ and Miles), great details that refer to other parts of the marvel universe, great dialogue, fun combat, good game mechanics. Some of the side content was fun such as the science projects and Harry's research stations. But all the other side content was just below average imo and mostly felt like a bit of a drag. I don't think 9/10 is justified.

Yea the Mj and miles parts sucked and side quests sucked.. but side quests always suck at lesst combat and even traveling is fun i  spiderman. GoW had those annoying ravens and moving around and back tracking was so slow.. crap like that is optional though so I see no reason it should lower ratings. Honesstly id almost never bother with much of the tedious side content games have been plagued with for the last couple gens if I didnt want he trophies.. collectables and side quests are never fun....

Still I'd consider spiderman one of the best games this gen.

4 hours ago, DemonicDraco said:

Yea the Mj and miles parts sucked and side quests sucked.. but side quests always suck at lesst combat and even traveling is fun i  spiderman. GoW had those annoying ravens and moving around and back tracking was so slow.. crap like that is optional though so I see no reason it should lower ratings. Honesstly id almost never bother with much of the tedious side content games have been plagued with for the last couple gens if I didnt want he trophies.. collectables and side quests are never fun....

Still I'd consider spiderman one of the best games this gen.

I found literally none of the God of War stuff to be tedious or boring. There always has to be collectibles in these types of games which I don't mind. The ravens are more comparable to the backpacks in spider man. And I didn't mind the backpacks, there are far worse collectibles. Side Quests don't always suck in gaming but they sucked in Spider Man though - so much recycled content. I can say for a fact though that there's no such tedious crap in God of War like the recycled crimes, bases, taskmaster(/screwball) challenges and the evident lack of mission variety.

The first two Arkham games have more about them and are better games than Spider-Man and I'm not even too big on DC.

7 hours ago, Last-_-Judgment said:

I found literally none of the God of War stuff to be tedious or boring. There always has to be collectibles in these types of games which I don't mind. The ravens are more comparable to the backpacks in spider man. And I didn't mind the backpacks, there are far worse collectibles. Side Quests don't always suck in gaming but they sucked in Spider Man though - so much recycled content. I can say for a fact though that there's no such tedious crap in God of War like the recycled crimes, bases, taskmaster(/screwball) challenges and the evident lack of mission variety.

The first two Arkham games have more about them and are better games than Spider-Man and I'm not even too big on DC.

The ravens mostly suck cuz by design you cant move around fast in gow. In spiderman i didnt mind cuz hes pretty fast and web swinging around was fun. I dunno about arkham I played the first and didnt like it. I've never seen sidequests not suck so either we play different games or I just dislike them more than you. I disagree that there has to be collectables its just a trope and a way to pad game length/content.

I think the bit of lore with the backpacks where he'd mention when he put them there helped make it a bit less boring as well

Edited by DemonicDraco
edit