Will Vita trophies be syncable longer than PS3 trophies?

EdwardTheMartyr

I have never bought a console at launch and probably never will. I expect to be playing through all my PS4 games by the time the PS6 is on the horizon. As a result, I am concerned with how long PS3 and Vita games will remain syncable.

The PS3 is a major platform for Netflix and digitally downloaded movies. The same cannot be said for the Vita. That's why I think the Vita won't last as long. Furthermore, I can imagine the PS3 being much more likely to get backwards compatibility support from the PS5 more so than the Vita.

Another advantage the PS3 has is PS Now which would allow you to get PS3 trophies without a PS3 at all. Vita probably won't get such a thing.

• Like 1

i was under the impression that being able to sync will always be available as long as Sony's technology exists. I don't know how trophies sync exactly but I'm sure all consoles use the same method, hopefully someone with knowledge on this will explain. I understand services get removed because that means less work for Sony, if they aren't supporting the Vita anymore then I can imagine services being removed but not its core functions because that's in the system itself and can't be removed. If it is a possibility of it being removed then I need to work on my old games ASAP

Edited by Blaidd-Cysgodol

The problem with the PS3 and Vita is they're the first systems that are heavily invested in network features. If Sony were to completely shut down networks features to these systems, we would lose access to our digital games, game patches and trophies would no longer exist in an online format. I can't see that happening anytime soon, I can see online multiplayer services closing down though. I think they'll keep up the core network features but we're heading into uncharted territories with the PS3/360 generation as they were the first truly online systems. So far the only systems that have had their online closed down entirely are the DS and Wii. None of which were truly online unlike the PS3/Vita. Who knows what could happen. Sony are under no obligation to keep networks features around for systems that are no longer supported. I'm sure there's something in the terms and conditions that forfeit our rights to our digital games which would allow them to close the PSN store.

Edited by Mayadome
  • Like 1

That might be true, but on the other hand, I don't see an economic incentive to shut them down.  For instance, any cost for Sony in regards to maintaining the Playstation 3 and Vita storefronts is probably most strongly associated with bandwidth.  Having Vita and Playstation 3 stored on their servers probably incurs little cost unless they're being downloaded actively.

If they do any major changes to the trophy system I can expect they will make the necessary changes to the PS4 OS. They will never do it to the PS3 or Vita. Their option will be to retain a compatibility mode or simply skip the possibility of these 2 systems have trophies, or at least sync them. I'm sure the choice will be the second one. The question is not if this will happen, just when.

As to nuke the PSN store and everyone losing their digital library yes they can supposedly do it at any time they wish accordingly to their terms of service. I surely doubt that's legal anyway, at least in the EU.

Edited by cris3f

5 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

It’ll be interesting to hear the global backlash when Sony cuts off PS3 and Vita owners from accessing all the digital content they paid for over the years, but the hot topic here when that happens will just be the trophies not syncing. 

You can still download psp purchases on the psp, so it won't ever happen

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2019 at 7:09 AM, SnowxSakura said:

You can still download psp purchases on the psp, so it won't ever happen

It really does depend on how upgrades to the network go in future years.

As is, PSP, Vita & PS3 can connect like they always have. This isn't likely to change any time soon.

But the trick is it will change eventually. Eventually, Sony is going to get around to upgrading the PSN network from a brick of Atari Jaguars to something less stupid. At that point, they may take it as an opportunity to cut off outdated systems.

Although, with the sudden increase in BC tech, I'd imagine another solution would be provided. Maybe remote play to then current systems or something something PS Now.

• 2 months later...