This game feels a lot like fallout

Redninja-222

So i just started playing this game a few days ago and im starting to notice that it plays out a lot like the fallout games.  Between the new crafting system/looting and the enemy health bars and lets not forget the hole nuclear apocalyptic plot line. Im a big fan of the fallout games and i want to know what you guys think about it, maybe it's just me?

• Like 3

Good observation, I played this game a little in coop. stopped playing it because I found out that this game continues the phophet storyline  from far cry 5. I want to finish 5, Ubisoft games you need to play linear, I'm looking at you assasin creed brotherhood and assassin creed revelation. Ive been wanting to play new dawn more than 5, my back log wont let me.

Maybe Ubisoft listen to the massive negative feed back from Unity and added the mechanics. However, this game feels more like fallout 4. fallout 4 is when Bethesda started going away from critical narrative player choices affecting the story. one of the critiques of farcry 5 was that your character was a flat cookie cut out, like protagonist in Gta 3

This game is all about looting and crafting etc. The story line is rather short IMO, with like 20 missions, and most of them are rather short and easy, but somewhat varied and decently action packed etc. Most of your time playing it towards getting the platinum will be spent trying to upgrade your character (perks), base (upgrades). To upgrade your character you need to complete challenges or free hostages, this awards you perk points, which can be spent on upgrading character. Challenges are everything from killing x with y weapon, skinning x of y animal to doing certain side missions or using certain co op partners. Yes, the game has local npc co-op partners, rather varied ones, you unlock through side missions. To upgrade base, you need to get ethanol, which can be gotten through some random events like battle royale air drops, capture some oil truck and drive to base, but most importantly re-capture bases. Basically, there's 10 bases you can capture, and you can abandon them for ethanol, and then recapture for more ethanol. Each time you abandon a base, it grows stronger, but it maxes out (three stars) after the second time you abandon it. You will need to recapture all on three stars, and take over a base without getting noticed on three stars (easy if you let the sniper NPC do it for you, just use binoculars to target enemies, and you stay out of sight). Next, you will also need to do these missions outside of the story map, 7 of them, and all gotta be done 3 times, where the last time is the most difficult. They're all the same tbh, find some item, if you get spotted before you find it, a lot of enemies will swarm you infinitely. Once you find the item, you gotta get to a certain point and wait for a chopper to pick you up 2 mins later, and during those 2 mins you'll be swarmed by enemies. If you wait a bit into the story-line to do these, you'll get "double jump" as a character perk, which allows you to travel really fast, and you can just jump around fast a bit near the edge of the map over and over, and enemies will just never even get to you. Super easy. I preferred the epic stealth weapons, unlocked through base upgrading weapon research to rank 3 and crafting the weapons afterwards. You also need so skin one of every enemy and fish one of every fish. Rather easy, and there's even maps in-game and online for this.

Story? Eh, didn't really care. Essentially it all just boiled down to some son and father, and daughter and mother issue. Lots of diversity! :P Also, it felt very inorganic that every character you met in the world looked alike, like the exact same looking guy always sold you stuff, the exact same looking guy told you about missions etc, even if you watch them die, so it's not always the same guy stalking you. Found most of the co-op NPCs annoying AF, the boar was probably the most likable.

There definitely was some cool missions though, and some decent variety. I'd say it was pretty chill game where outside missions, you do most of the same stuff over and over.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2019 at 1:15 AM, Redninja-222 said:

So i just started playing this game a few days ago and im starting to notice that it plays out a lot like the fallout games.  Between the new crafting system/looting and the enemy health bars and lets not forget the hole nuclear apocalyptic plot line. Im a big fan of the fallout games and i want to know what you guys think about it, maybe it's just me?

Yeah its just you. Far cry is good for a start

• 1 year later...
On 2021-06-22 at 7:14 PM, Redninja-222 said:

It din't rely feel like the same map to me, then again maybe i didn't pay to much attention to the map

Prob didn’t notice cause the first 5 mins of the game your at the mineshaft building you blow up in fc 5. Yes the outposts are different but josp seed island, Dutch island, bunkers etc are the same pretty much same locates. If you put the maps side by side, It’s the same map just they cut maybe 20% of the map out made it smaller.

• 1 year later...

New Dawn reminds me of Rage 2 minus the special abilities. Post apocalyptic, bright colors, zero story. They're both fun arcady FPS shooters. I personally find Rage 2 to be one of the underrated games from the past few years, so check it out if you like this one.

As for Fallout, the quirky vibe that all Fallout games have (although I'm not sure about 76) always makes them their own unique thing and personally, I find that to the be one of the main foundations of those games. A little jank/b-movie flair, humor, and self-awareness that comes down to great writing and world building. New Dawn has a little bit of that, but Fallout just does it in such a unique and committed way.

Edited by cobaltTangerine