The New Year's Resolution Event (Event Finished)

Alright, I'm gonna give this one a shot. A few of these categories fit things in my backlog, so let's do it~

Lose the Weight - AI: The Somnium File (Mama)

Focus on Family - Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life Special Edition

Update Relationship Status - Code: Realize ~Bouquet of Roses~

Go to the Gym - Saints Row IV (you can really make your boss a big boi)

Find Time For Yourself - Afterparty (I hear there are drinking mini games so ig that counts?)

Get a Better Job - VA-11 Hall-A.

Finish Your Masterpiece - tbd

Volunteer More - Kingdom Hearts III (flan stuff, blah)

Do Better in School - The Coma: Recut

Make More Money - Lego Harry Potter Collection: Years 1-4

I'd like to opt out of the Spiderman copy, but since I'm in the US I may as well be in for the PSN card! (Though I doubt I will finish all the games lol)

Edited by MissShake
  • Like 1

Alright, I think I've gotten my choices buttoned down. I pretty much found a dozen games or so that I want to play right now, and then wedged what I could into the categories for this event. I don't know details about many of them, so I won't be too surprised, if I need to make some changes after other people get a load of my game choices. My justifications for each pick are in the spoiler tag below my list. 

S1724f3.png - Lose Weight -  Atelier Firis: The Alchemist and the Mysterious Journey (Oskar)

Sacbfbf.png - Focus on Family - Thronebreaker (Queen Meve & her son)

S1c408c.png - Update Relationship Status - Man of Medan (Conrad & Fliss)

Sacc62e.png - Go to the Gym - AC Odyssey (Alexios)

Sc6f36c.png - Find Time for Yourself - Slime Rancher (Slime Ball)

S2c30dc.png - Get a Job - Vampyr (Doctor)

S6ea8f2.png - Finish Your Masterpiece - Beat Saber (Rhythm/dance)

Sd92069.png - Volunteer More - Days Gone (Building trust with the camps)

S72e106.png - Do Better in School - Resident Evil 2 (Claire)

S4687a4.png - Make More Money - Ghost Recon Wildlands (Resource gathering)

Spoiler

1. Oskar is an overweight character that is a main party member in Atelier Sophie which was used as an example game. I see a trophy in the list that is for joining up with Oskar as Firis. 
  2. I don't know much about this game. I believe you mainly play as a former queen that was forced from the throne when her son seized power. I think the point of the game is to take the throne back from him. If that's true, it is a mother/son power struggle for the ages and would fit well here. This is a case where I don't want any spoilers so I did not research this one to know for sure.
  3. Another game that I don't know too much about. But it's from the makers of Until Dawn which was listed as an example for this category. A quick Google search said something about Conrad and Fliss getting together based on in-game choices. So I think that it works. 
  4. Alexios is a beast. Kassandra is pretty built for a woman as well. Greeks pretty much defined what an ideal body should look like for all humanity, so I'm confident this one fits well here.
  5. There is a Slime Ball game that is basically like one of those basketball games you see at arcades. I have one trophy left in this game and have put it off for more than a year and really should wrap this one up.
  6. I'm not 100% sure you do your day job in the game. I believe one of the main themes of the game is reconciling being a vampire and a doctor at the same time and there's a trophy for healing people. So I'm guessing this fits the category.
  7. Rhythm game that I think shows some musical talent and depending on your definition maybe even a bit of dancing is involved. I've worked on this platinum before and found the skill cap was too high and I got sick of hearing the same 15 songs over and over before I got good enough to be perfect in expert difficulty. I'm hoping buying some of the DLC song packs that are available now will breathe new life into the game. I am not sure I will ever be fast enough to actually get the platinum. But if not, the VR workouts from trying will help with my actual resolution to lose some weight this year.
  8. I am under the impression that there are tons of side activities that you do to build up trust/loyalty with the survivor towns in the game and that those are not directly tied to the story. 
  9. I know this sounds like a bad choice. Let me explain. I got this game for Christmas. I just noticed today, when taking the plastic off, Claire is described as a student on the back of the case. To further confirm this description, I found that the trophy for completing hardcore mode as Claire is titled, "Hard Core College Student." Although it's has no importance to the in-game events, I feel RE2 fits the "play as a student" requirement for this category. 
  10. Buying all upgrades requires a ton of resources. I platinumed this game on another account and at the end of the game, I spent several hours post-story grinding to earn enough of those for upgrades. I'm close to finishing the game again, but this time did a better job of earning resources as I went because I already have the Only The Best trophy for buying all upgrades out of the way.

Edited by spacey_dweeb
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, spacey_dweeb said:

Alright, I think I've gotten my choices buttoned down. I pretty much found a dozen games or so that I want to play right now, and then wedged what I could into the categories for this event. I don't know details about many of them, so I won't be too surprised, if I need to make some changes after other people get a load of my game choices. My justifications for each pick are in the spoiler tag below my list. 

S1724f3.png - Lose Weight -  Atelier Firis: The Alchemist and the Mysterious Journey (Oskar)

Oskar is an overweight character that is a main party member in Atelier Sophie which was used as an example game. I see a trophy in the list that is for joining up with Oskar as Firis. 

I thought about using this game myself but when I looked into it, it turns out that Oskar is no longer overweight in Atelier Firis and is much much thinner

A little update to fill in the remaining games, except the school category as I don't own a game currently with a school theme. 

Lose The Weight - Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Remastered
Focus on Family - Uncharted 2: Among Thieves Remastered
Update Relationship Status - Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception Remastered
Go to the Gym - Titanfall 2 
Find Time For Yourself - Bioshock 2
Get a Better Job - Spider-Man 
Finish Your Masterpiece - Infamous Second Son
Volunteer More - Nioh
Do Better in School - TBA (Don't own a game yet with a school theme). 
Make More Money - Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage!

5 hours ago, Mesopithecus said:

I thought about using this game myself but when I looked into it, it turns out that Oskar is no longer overweight in Atelier Firis and is much much thinner

Oh man. You are right! With an impressive weight loss for Oskar, I could argue it fits the spirit of the category even better now, but doesn't meet the requirement as written. I will double check with our host and see if there's wiggle room. But I am guessing that I'll need to switch it. 

What do think @eigen-space? Does Firis work for the lose weight category?

8 hours ago, Alternatewarning said:

Question, do these cames need to be 'completed' or 'platinum'?  Since I have a few good ideas but some of them are LONG plats that I may not have time to finish

The rules stipulate that you need to complete 100% of the base game, so for a game with a platinum you would need to earn the platinum.

4 hours ago, spacey_dweeb said:

Oh man. You are right! With an impressive weight loss for Oskar, I could argue it fits the spirit of the category even better now, but doesn't meet the requirement as written. I will double check with our host and see if there's wiggle room. But I am guessing that I'll need to switch it. 

What do think @eigen-space? Does Firis work for the lose weight category?

Unfortunately Oskar in Atelier Firis doesn't work. Firis fits for several of the categories though... Family (Firis and Liane are sisters), Gym (Angriff is pretty cut), Job (running an Atelier becomes her job), Volunteer (game has quests and subquests), School (Firis is a student of alchemy)

Hello, I'd like to join, here's my list:

Lose the Weight: Metal Gear Solid 2 HD (PS3) (Fatman - he is the first Big Shell boss)

Focus on Family: Assassin's Creed: Syndicate (playable [fraternal] twins - I'm playing the game these days but I'll pop the platinum during this Event. Is that ok?)

Update Relationship Status: Alone With You (PS4)

Go to the Gym: God of War III Remastered

Find Time For Yourself: Demetrios (PS4) (there are mini-games at the funfair)

Get a Better Job: Grim Fandango Remastered

Finish Your Masterpiece: Puppeteer

Volunteer More: inFAMOUS

Do Better in School: Claire (PS4)

Make More Money: Dead Nation (PS3) (there is a trophy for collecting all the loot in every mission)

• Like 1

Here is my tentative list. Since we aren’t locked into a list, it is subject to change ?

Lose the Weight - Day of the Tentacle Remastered (PS4) - Hoagie

Focus on Family - Life is Strange 2 (PS4) - The tale of brothers Sean and Daniel

Update Relationship Status - Hakuoki : Stories of the Shinsengumi (PS3) - a VN with several relationship options

Go to the Gym - God of War (PS4) - Kratos

Find Time For Yourself - Path of Sin : Greed (PS4) - lots of mini games mixed with hidden object puzzles

Get a Better Job - The Wolf Among Us (PS4) - Bigby is a detective

Finish Your Masterpiece - Tearaway (PSV) - paper art!

Volunteer More - The Outer Worlds (PS4) - side quests and companion quests

Do Better in School - Life is Strange (PS3) - Blackwell Academy

Make More Money - Lego The Lord of the Rings (PS3) - collect 10,000,000,000 studs

Edited by Fnee2000
  • Like 1

Could someone tell me if Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2 would count for Do Better in School? I saw first game listed in this category and idk anything about this game, DLC for this seem more accessible (one dollar DLC vs searching for Ultimate Sith Edition).

And yeah, i'm signing up for this, just need to finish my list.

Edited by Varhur

I was having trouble thinking of games with fat characters so I decided to go through my games tonight and think about it more closely and make a list. I hope it helps others with their selections. This list is not meant to be definitive of what's acceptable and I'm not in charge of any part of this event. Ask @eigen-spaceif you have a question about your specific game. 

I left games out for various reasons and tried to make choices I felt solidly met the criteria for the category. Some examples of what I left out were games with fat skins for characters like Uncharted and games with character creators like Saints Row and Fallout 4 since you can choose whether or not someone is overweight and therefore overweight people may or may not be in the game. I also ended up taking out most non-human characters like Glottis from Grim Fandango and Toggle from Little Big Planet and some thick boys and girls like Magni from God of War and the 9th Sister from Jedi Fallen Order. It was hard to draw the line on who should or shouldn't be included and they just seemed big, but not fat.

Firewatch - Henry

Day of the Tentacle - Hoagie

Detroit Become Human - Rose Chapman

Persona 5 - Junya Kaneshiro

Burly Men at Sea - All are big and burly

For Honor - Shugoki

Mafia 3 - Lou Marcono

AC Odyssey - Sokrates (Historical philosopher)

All Rebooted Tomb Raiders - Jonah Maiava

Atelier Sophie - Oskar

Déraciné - Lorinc

Fat Princess Adventures - The princesses

The Last of Us - Bob

Child of Light - Finn

South Park games - Cartman

Overwatch - Roadhog

Little Nightmares - The Twin Chefs

Witcher 3 - The Bloody Baron

Spider-Man - Kingpin

Broken Age - F'ther, Harm'ny, Car'l, Ch't

Borderlands 2 - Ellie

Heavy Rain - Carter Blake

Lego Harry Potter - Hagrid

The Banner Saga - Iver

Wolf Among Us - Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum

Valiant Hearts - Emile

Batman Arkham City - Penguin

Prey - Alex Yu

Thronebreaker - Count Caldwell

Dark Souls - Seigward "Onion Bro"

Uncanny Valley - Buck

Edited by spacey_dweeb
  • Like 1

Hello all, I also like to participate here because my first badge from eigen-space is a bit lonely :( .

List of games:

1. Lose the Weight - Day of the Tentacle Remastered (Hoagie)
  2. Focus on Family - [BLANK]
  3. Update Relationship Status - Until Dawn
  4. Go to the Gym - [BLANK]
  5. Find Time For Yourself - Final Fantasy XV (fishing)
  6. Get a Better Job - Puzzle Agent (Nelson Tethers:) // Nelson is a detective who solves riddles during his assigned case.
  7. Finish Your Masterpiece - Concrete Genie
  8. Volunteer More -  [BLANK]
  9. Do Better in School - [BLANK]
  10. Make More Money - LEGO Legends of Chima // Trophy: Eagle Vision Pick up 20,000 studs as Eris.

If I don't come up with ideas for the 4 blank categories then it is as it is and I can still get the badge :) .

Until next year people :) .

Edited by Geridian
Formating
  • Like 2

Another great event idea! I would like to join this one. Trying to use a unique list here as to not include any games already noted for any other event. 

Also, throwing in a couple of games that I am fairly far along, but will use this time to push thru the plat/100% finish lines. 

Confident these all fit their categories except for Lose the Weight.

Lose the Weight (Overweight Character) - Deracine

Focus on Family (Family Elements) - The Dark Pictures Anthology: Man of Medan

Update Relationship Status (Romantic Relationships) - Amnesia: Memories

Go to the Gym (Jacked Character) - Borderlands 2

Find Time for Yourself (Mini-Games) - Path of Sin: Greed

Get a Better Job (Day Job) - Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishment

Finish Your Masterpiece (Artistic Elements) - Fe

Volunteer More (Side Quests) - Cat Quest II

Do Better in School (School Setting) - MechaNika

Make More Money (Money Grind) - Ratchet & Clank 2

• Like 1

My list, i'll skip explaining games shown in the examples

Lose the Weight - Borderlands 2

Focus on Family - Heavy Rain

Update Relationship Status - TBA

Go to the Gym - Resident Evil 5

Find Time for Yourself - Far Cry 3 (poker)

Get a Better Job - The Evil Within (detective job)

Finish Your Masterpiece - Okami HD

Volunteer More - inFamous

Do Better in School - South Park: The Stick of Truth

Make More Money - LEGO Lord of the Rings (trophy for gettins studs)

I'm having some problems with fitting games for the last two categories, so if someone can recommend a PS3 game that doesn't have hard to find complete edition with DLC's, i'll be very thankful :)

Edited by Varhur
  • Like 1

I'd like to participate, but i doubt i'll be able to finish 10 games ? 

Lose the Weight -   Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA ( Sahad )

Focus on Family 

Update Relationship Status 

Go to the Gym 

Find Time For Yourself -  

Get a Better Job - 

Finish Your Masterpiece 

Volunteer More 

Do Better in School -  

Make More Money -

Edited by sona_11
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Varhur said:

I'm having some problems with fitting games for the last two categories, so if someone can recommend a PS3 game that doesn't have hard to find complete edition with DLC's, i'll be very thankful :)

For update relationship status my first thought would be Hakuoki: Stories of the Shinsengumi, though it may not be your sort of game with it being a VN.  No DLCs though, pretty easy to plat and should be easy enough to find.  That version is for PS3.  Of the examples, Time and Eternity is a PS3 game (though it is not a good game) and while I think it has DLC content, none of it has trophies tied to it.

21 minutes ago, ladynadiad said:

For update relationship status my first thought would be Hakuoki: Stories of the Shinsengumi, though it may not be your sort of game with it being a VN.  No DLCs though, pretty easy to plat and should be easy enough to find.  That version is for PS3.  Of the examples, Time and Eternity is a PS3 game (though it is not a good game) and while I think it has DLC content, none of it has trophies tied to it.

Hakuoki is rather expensive and from reading Time and Eternity reviews, i'd rather avoid that game

1 hour ago, Varhur said:

Hakuoki is rather expensive and from reading Time and Eternity reviews, i'd rather avoid that game

I don't blame you with Time and Eternity, though I do have no way of knowing what prices in your region look like.  Only other game I can think of is FFX or X-2, but those are definitely longer games.

Count my in as well, my list is:

Lose the Weight

Focus on Family - Atelier Lydie & Suelle

Update Relationship Status

Go to the Gym - Metal Gear Solid 2

Find Time for Yourself - Final Fantasy VIII

Get a Better Job - Atelier Meruru

Finish Your Masterpiece - Idolmaster Must Songs

Volunteer More - Alvastia Chronicles

Do Better in School - Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention

Make More Money

• Like 2

Here is my proposed list:

Lose the Weight: Prey (Alex Yu)

Focus on Family: The Walking Dead: The Telltale Definitive Series 

Update Relationship Status: Resident Evil 2 (Leon x Ada)

Go to the Gym:

Find Time for Yourself: Amnesia: Memories (Air Hokey+RockScissorsPaper)

Get a Better JobVampyr (Respectful Doctor, Hematology)

Finish Your Masterpiece: Paint Park Plus

Volunteer More: Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Do Better in School: The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel

Make More Money: Darksiders III

Any advice for Vita games that could fit Gym category, would be appreciated.

• Like 1