So what investigations to keep for MR gold crowns?

I've reached a point where I have 380/400 investigations of new MR monsters with good reward boxes

but still have no crown for any MR  monster at MR135...

Basically I need to start erasing investigations and forcefully start crown hunting

to reduce the number of monsters needed for crowns so I can delete their investigations.

- What reward boxes to keep? Which are the most optimal?

- Keep the 8-times investigations if they have 5 reward boxes?

- Keep the investigations with 2+ bronze boxes? What about 2B-2S-1G investigations? What about 4B-1G investigations?

- Are multi-target hunts better than single hunts?

- Are tempered investigations better than gold boxes

- How many rewards should a tempered investigation have?

- If you run out of investigations for 1 monster, are the optional quests an alternative? Or are optionals a waste of time?

On 25/12/2019 at 7:14 AM, VegaTheGreat said:

- What reward boxes to keep? Which are the most optimal?

For me the most optimal are 4 rewards, 3 silver one gold.

5 tries is really good.

Most of the time they have decent deaths (if necessary) and a pretty good duration to scout and kill all that you need.

- Keep the 8-times investigations if they have 5 reward boxes?

Delete them.

- Keep the investigations with 2+ bronze boxes? What about 2B-2S-1G investigations? What about 4B-1G investigations?

Same.

- Are multi-target hunts better than single hunts?

Yes they are because monsters will have way less hp, making each try faster.

- Are tempered investigations better than gold boxes

As far as i know, drop rate wasnt better with tempered.

And they are harder/slower.

- If you run out of investigations for 1 monster, are the optional quests an alternative? Or are optionals a waste of time?

Save your game on cloud every time you want to farm a "rare" monster. Like elder dragons or gold rathian, brute tigrex...

Reload your save as soon as you run out of investigation.

• Like 2

It’s hard to say with absolute certainty which investigations specifically have the highest crown spawn rates. There is a lot of confirmation bias going on here since people will spend the most time grinding the investigations that they are expecting to get the best results, thus also getting the most results from those quests. I mostly based my procedure on what we’ve known to be true in the base game, that being that there’s effectively four tiers: Those with 4+ gold/purple, 3+ gold/purple, 1 gold+3 silver or better and finally everything else. I saw some minor success with 2B+2S+1G but i mostly avoided them.

One thing to keep in mind is that higher crown spawn rates always apply to other monsters in the quest. I struggled to find anything good for Yian Garuga so for him i mostly used 4G quests that had different target monsters. I personally also chose not to use 1 faint quests when grinding to avoid finally getting a crown only to fail the quest due to a stupid mistake.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Today helping casually I got 5 crowns, mini Velkana, giant Trigrex, mini Gold Rathian, giant Bambaro and mini Ruiner Nergigante, all were missions with 5+ purple rewards, so from now on I will be inclined to believe that tempered investigations have more possibilities, at least on the Iceborne.

On 2020-01-09 at 6:04 AM, Allonnos said:

Today helping casually I got 5 crowns, mini Velkana, giant Trigrex, mini Gold Rathian, giant Bambaro and mini Ruiner Nergigante, all were missions with 5+ purple rewards, so from now on I will be inclined to believe that tempered investigations have more possibilities, at least on the Iceborne.

Think I'm agreeing on this one, the other day I had 3 back to back crowns from 5 purple rewards investigations. Got mini and large Beotodus and small Glavenus in 3 straight hunts. Sure it's a really small sample size but considering the grinding I had to do in the original game, I was sitting there wondering what happened. Either way crowns seems much less rare in Iceborne, I haven't done any "grinding" for crowns yet so to say as I'm still enjoying the end game grind but have ended up with almost half the crowns just by playing (this again mostly hunting tempered monsters)(and countless of size upgrades on crowns I already had from the base game)

Edited by Misshandlad