PlayStation 5 & The New Year

TrophyChief

Now that the New Year is here and the announcement of PlayStation 5 releasing in 2020, what are your gaming goals, your trophy hunting approach, and your purchasing decisions for PS5 games?

I plan on maintaining a high completion percentage (98% and above), slowing climbing the leaderboard to reach Top 1000 for my country, increasing my Platinum and Ultra Rare trophy count (350 Platinums & 100 Ultra Rares). I do plan on picking up the PS5 at launch and purchasing all of the PS5 exclusive titles on disc (physical copies including Steelbooks when available).

Yours?

Edited by MrTrofyHuntr
  • Like 4

I have completed online trophies like crazy this year, specially ps3 ones. My plan is to continue with that both ps4 and ps3 online cleaning and focus on ps3 games mainly (just in case trophy syncing shut down happens or massive server closures by companies, and to finish ps3 backlog and move on to ps4's) Also getting a higher completion percentage would be nice altough 85% is pretty good.

Won't be purchasing a ps5 until the slim model or even 1 or 2 years after that. Got ps3 games for 2 or 3 years (actually 4 probably) and an ever increasing ps4 library yet to play so I'm good.

• Like 2

To be honest I'm sort of ''done'' with actual trophy hunting. I tried doing another competitive gaming.. style? I'm more into speedrunning now. I still enjoy getting trophies but i won't be trying for any more games with shitty hard trophies and play most games just for fun getting as many easy trophies along the way. If i feel like stuff will get too grindy or tedious i'm just gonna abandon the remaining trophies.

That being said, i also plan to get rid of all my Playstation devices. I had a lot of fun with them sure, but i want to move on. Right now i'm just working on clearing out some of my older titles that i still really wanna platinum or still really wanna play (enjoying myself with marvels spiderman today). Once that's done I'm gonna sell my entire PlayStation collection including consoles, peripherals  and physical games. I'll keep my account in case i want to get PS5 but I'll estimate I'll be done with my must-plat/must-play backlog by march. I plan to get a Nintendo Switch to start getting into some mario odyssey and Zelda: botw speedruns which i'm excited for.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gamesfourever said:

To be honest I'm sort of ''done'' with actual trophy hunting. I tried doing another competitive gaming.. style? I'm more into speedrunning now. I still enjoy getting trophies but i won't be trying for any more games with shitty hard trophies and play most games just for fun getting as many easy trophies along the way. If i feel like stuff will get too grindy or tedious i'm just gonna abandon the remaining trophies.

That being said, i also plan to get rid of all my Playstation devices. I had a lot of fun with them sure, but i want to move on. Right now i'm just working on clearing out some of my older titles that i still really wanna platinum or still really wanna play (enjoying myself with marvels spiderman today). Once that's done I'm gonna sell my entire PlayStation collection including consoles, peripherals  and physical games. I'll keep my account in case i want to get PS5 but I'll estimate I'll be done with my must-plat/must-play backlog by march. I plan to get a Nintendo Switch to start getting into some mario odyssey and Zelda: botw speedruns which i'm excited for.

I'm moving in the same direction.  I have a Switch and lots of games but it's just collecting dust right now.  I've set a goal of 135 plats, with Death Stranding being my last.  After that the Switch will be my main console and I'll just play PS4 to keep up with Warframe and to complete DLCs that I already bought (Metro, BL3, Control).  I honestly don't have any plans to buy a PS5.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SirShavesALot said:

I honestly don't have any plans to buy a PS5.

I don't plan to get a PS5 myself unless there are some exclusives that i will really like. I built a super beefy PC last year so I'm not as dependent anymore on consoles for my casual gaming and i can pretty much just get any game on PC unless they're exclusive to another platform.

• Like 1

10k trophies would be kinda cool, depending when it drops. I'd also like to finish my PS3 backlog, which is just all the God of War games, the Kingdom Hearts games not on PS4, and maybe Demon's Souls, if it isn't remastered.

I'll buy it on release, but only because I don't want to fall behind on new games, like I did with the PS4.

• Like 2

For 2020 I'll be focusing on my backlog of 50+ games and I have a list of mostly JRPG's I plan to buy. If the PS5 is backwards compatible or has any great launch titles then I'll be purchasing it day one. I will continue to hunt for trophies on PS5 but it's not something I take very seriously. My goals are 10,000 trophies, 100 platinums, 70% completion before PS5 launches.

edit: I should note much of the reason I'm excited for the PS5 is I still don't have a 4K Blu-Ray Player and I'm still using an original 500gb PS4. I'm also excited to see what PS5 can do for VR.

Edited by Sn1per666999
  • Like 3

My gaming goals are:

1. Reach 100 plats (total)

2. Earn 3 UR plats

3. Clean up the PS3 backlog

4. Play God of War, Spiderman, and HZD

Honestly, I'm not even thinking about PS5 right now. Just bought a switch last year and I'm sooooooo far behind on my PS4 backlog that I have games from 2017 that are just sitting on the shelf. The switch backlog isn't too crazy yet, but it's growing for sure.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
Update goals
  • Like 3

I got no plans on getting a PS5 right away, I'll be waiting at least 6 months before buying one, soooooooooo.... sometime in 2021.

Hmmm, my gaming goals for 2020. It's not really about numbers, although I am nearing 10k trophies. I want to join all the people who'll mainly focus on their backlogs. xD 

I would like to finish most of my games I have already started and are on my profile and play the ones in my backlog with online trophies.

This year my videogame spending got outta hand, I would like to cut back on that too for next year. With that being said I'm already planning to get Resident Evil 3, Two Point Hospital and The Good Life.

• Like 1

My gaming goals are:

1. Tackle on the backlog of games that I have accumulated for a long time on both my PS4 and Switch.
  2. Regain my trophy hunting groove, as I have been lacking it for a very long time due to college and I've been on a trophy collecting drought for awhile now.
  3. Many games that I have unfinished business with in trophy hunting and obtaining their platinum.
  4. Get games that I have interest in or have on my radar for awhile, most recently, or by recommendation by friends and family.

My trophy hunting approach depends on the game I'm playing. If its a game where you gradually earn trophies through normal gameplay, then I just play at my own pace. Then, the easily missable trophies are next. Lastly, the trophies that require specific criteria and/or requiring to do a very tricky thing are saved for last.

I'll probably get the PS5 around Christmas or my Birthday, but I'll be sure to stay tuned for more announcements and details throughout next year in regards to the PS5, such as release date, price, features, launch games, etc that will determine my final decision.

• Like 1

I might try and finish off my ps3 line of online trophies then work on the rest of them and then go from there. I will only pick up ps5 if it has the power to play ps1 to 4 games on it as well as 5 as am kind of sick of needing to hook up all the stuff to play either ps1 or 2 or 3 to enjoy them games and so on as if it had it all in one console I would be fine. even ps2 3 and 4 and 5 games is fine by me I mean xbox one does it and I can't see why not ps5 same goes for ps3 being able to play ps1 2 and 3 at the time but dropped to just 1 and 3 games.

But I hardly think they would do it as making stuff backwards compact is either too much for them or too much work for them when they can just throw out there crappy consoles with just one gen on it or just two. I mean when a ps vita came out that thing played psp and vita and could play ps4 games too.

Edited by KANERKB
  • Like 1

My goals? Just play what I want. I don't have a backlog because I only buy a game that I will definitely play next. My plan is to buy a PS5 day one and I hope bc will be nearly as good as on Xbox. 

I have a switch and PC anyway so there is always a game I want to play.

Edited by Aladan82
  • Like 2

I rarely set myself any goals gaming-wise... So, in 2020, I will probably keep doing the same thing I have always trying to do, which is having fun playing games I'm interested in, and completing my games. I always have a 97-99% completion, and don't have any plans to let that change. I otherwise don't care much about my overall number of trophies, platinums, etc... I just don't play games that I don't think I'll enjoy just for the sake of it. 

The only thing I can think of that I'm actively keeping track of is my average rarity, which I will get below 30% and keep it there. 

As for the PS5, I will make an informed decision when the release date is closer, but in principle I wouldn't know why I should wait. Especially if the console is fully backwards compatible. 

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 3