What if the PS3 or Vita never had trophies?

ROBOCRIPPLE_

If it never had trophies I'd still be enjoying it just as much as I did when it didn't have trophies. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy earning trophies and seeing my collection on here, but gaming is about the experience to me and the fun I have while doing it, not trophies. 

Parker

• Like 4

I completely agree with Parker.

I had my PS3 before trophies (and bizarrely was talking to mate saying Sony should introduce some sort of achievements system like xbox the day before it was announced) and enjoyed it as much then as I do now.

I had GTA4 before it was patched for trophy support and had played it through completely and loved it back then.

I would have played it again anyway but the addition of trophies just made the replay happen sooner.

Gaming is definitely about the experience. Any trophies I earn along the way are a bonus :)

I had two PS3 consoles before Trophies arrived, one of them being a launch day console, and I got rid of them both. 

I am not sure if this was because of PS3 games having no Trophies or just because I was really into 360 at the time, could be a mix of both I guess.

I Strange thing is I don't usually play a game for Trophies, once I complete a game im happy just to leave it at that unless I really enjoyed it. I guess if Trophies were removed now it wouldn't overly bother me I would just continue on playing regardless.

If games didn't have trophies I probably wouldn't 100% them or whatever the equivalent to that would be without trophies, I'd probably have less playthroughs on games too. I'd still enjoy my PS3 immensely though.

Edited by Hikari_Symphony

If there isn't trophies then I just completed the story once on Easy or Normal modes (never on Hard)

I play since I remember and that must be since I was 3 years old in 1999 when I showed to my father that computers have games (who remembers that pinball from Windows 98 and Wndows XP? ) So without trophies I would play games normally but would do much tihing and normally is only finish story and play another one, and online games, I would never play there (Uncharted 2 & 3, BioShock 2, Battlefield 3, Resident Evil 5, etc...)

I got PS3 before I'd ever heard of them anyway and I wouldn't have swapped it out for a 360 just for achievements. I've been Playstation since my dad got a launch day PSX!

I'm torn on whether trophies/achievements are a good thing for gaming on the whole.

I really love the chime and seeing a trophy pop up, and it's great that there's now a way to have more (subjective of course) to show for your efforts than just a save file you can show off in person to your mates. However as I find my interest in trophies grow I have also stopped bothering with the other platforms I own (PS2 and 3DS) as unfortunately it seems I would rather be earning trophies in OK games from my backlog in my limited gaming time than playing amazing older games I have immediate access to on the alternate platforms.

Oh well.. I suppose they're there if I ever run out of PS3/PS4 games...!

I think trophies just adds flavor and we can all try to experience all of the game, since in most cases it requires explore or achieve maximum difficult, which IMO most of us wouldn't try if wasn't for then. It's good play the game on standard difficult and enjoy the story and have fun.

tumblr_mb3jv9aubV1rwl09fo1_500.gif

Seriously though I just wouldn't 100% as many games. I may play on the Normal difficulty and be done with it. Now I push myself to complete games on harder difficulties or go for 100%.

I would never have Aced all the levels in LittleBigPlanet or beat Bioshock on Survivor without trophies.

Honestly I would still game (have been since the NES days) but I don't think I'd be as obsessed with gaming as I am now.

Trophies have really opened up another avenue of enjoyment of video games for me. Not to mention I feel that I get more "bang for my buck" with trophies. I play more of a game for a longer period.

So thankful for trophies.

I'd still own a PS3 (played Uncharted before trophies were around) and I'd still play most of the games I own, but as others have said trophies give you that extra push to do those MP levels, to grind out the levels, to get those collectibles and play as much as possible of that game as you can. If anything, I'd say my enjoyment of games has decreased due to a pressure to finish those MP levels, which I hate the most, because I want that plat/100%. Trophies can become a chore yet, overall, I think they've helped it.

If they were to go away suddenly I wouldn't cry over it. Keep calm and play video games.

I wouldn't mind. Of course, trophies estimulates us to experience everything the game has to offer, but I'd still use my PS3 since I only buy games for fun. I don't care that much about trophies at all.

Exactly the same.

And if PS3 never had trophies it should be called Xbox,  :awesome: