The Bazaar Between Time no Longer Counts for "The Long Road" / (Speculation) Game is Harder due to 12/10 Update

Cave Johnson

I tested it on PC today and can confirm that it doesn't count. I know the PS4 version is an update behind, but still, that's not a good sign. The number of stages never increases by going to the Bazaar (on both PS4 and PC).

After playing the playing the PC version for the first time in a while, I have come to the following conclusion: The current state of the PS4 version is bullshit. I have failed well over a dozen times trying to clear 20 stages. I can barely make it to 14 or 15 before getting annihilated in a way that is incomprehensible. Even on Drizzle the game seems to become impossible after about 70-80 minutes. No matter what character or items I'm using, some cheap nonsense always ends the run. For a while, I thought I was just bad (though that's probably part of it). However, on PC I made it to stage 23 as Mercenary... on my first try. Despite playing the same way and getting mainly the same items, it went much better. I couldn't even die; I had to end the run by going through the celestial portal. On stage 21 I activated the teleporter and walked away from the computer, intending to end the run by death. When I came back, everything was dead, the teleporter was charged, and I was at full health. Attempting the same thing in the PS4 version would result in death within seconds (probably).

In short: "The Long Road" and "Deicide" aren't worth going for solo right now (unless you hate yourself). I'm going to chase 20 crabs off the cliff, and then I'm done with this shit until the next update.

The item you get from pushing the crabs off the cliff will help you a ton, getting 2-3 of those in a run plus the item that gives more item charges with rockets is super strong.  Also finding a Broach printer or just getting 5-6 broaches with a few shaped glasses makes the game cake.

If you don't want to farm lunar coins just obliterate yourself twice then upload your save to the cloud and just keep going to the shop until you get shaped glass.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, iGGTheEnd said:

The item you get from pushing the crabs off the cliff will help you a ton, getting 2-3 of those in a run plus the item that gives more item charges with rockets is super strong.  Also finding a Broach printer or just getting 5-6 broaches with a few shaped glasses makes the game cake.

If you don't want to farm lunar coins just obliterate yourself twice then upload your save to the cloud and just keep going to the shop until you get shaped glass.

Perhaps I should try again with a different approach then. I didn't even consider that the crabs trophy would unlock a good item. Getting to the obelisk is easy enough; backing up the save is something I never thought of either for some reason. 

16 hours ago, NekoRave said:

Updates fine, I suggest using the glass cannon strat and just use a bunch of bears and topez gems.

Its what worked for me, anything past 10 is one shot kill basically and I don't see that changing.

You either become immortal or die trying, it's unfortunate but it's how the game is, especially harder on console. 

I wish you luck

I get that it's supposed to be unforgiving, but it seems kind of ridiculous currently. I can't really say for sure, however, since I only played the game when it came out on Steam. After that, I got distracted and never ended up following the updates. I only got the PS4 version about a week ago.

Thanks for the advice, guys. It actually helps a lot, because it seems that what little information I can find on this is very outdated.

20 hours ago, Ariadne said:

Perhaps I should try again with a different approach then. I didn't even consider that the crabs trophy would unlock a good item. Getting to the obelisk is easy enough; backing up the save is something I never thought of either for some reason. 

I get that it's supposed to be unforgiving, but it seems kind of ridiculous currently. I can't really say for sure, however, since I only played the game when it came out on Steam. After that, I got distracted and never ended up following the updates. I only got the PS4 version about a week ago.

Thanks for the advice, guys. It actually helps a lot, because it seems that what little information I can find on this is very outdated.

Also something that helped me was watching "Woolie" on youtube he has some pretty good videos on how to get a god run going.

I was able to pull this off solo yesterday with the Huntress. Honestly, it was such a ridiculously long list of stuff I had, so I can't remember all of it. But most importantly I had 5 feathers and the boost forward jump when running. I would activate the teleporter, then run like hell out of the immediate vicinity. Especially for those last few levels, shit gets way to hectic up close. With the Huntress, I was able to pick them off from a distance, or at least I just kept jumping around with the multi-jump. I had enough of the turtle shields (topaz maybe?) that it filled up very quickly, which def helped. 

With roguelites (or -likes?! not here to debate ?) like this, you really just need to get a "God-run" of sorts. The right combo of stuff on the right character can tend to make things more of a cakewalk! Just keep at it and eventually the game will hook you up with better stuff. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, integra_93GS-R said:

I was able to pull this off solo yesterday with the Huntress. Honestly, it was such a ridiculously long list of stuff I had, so I can't remember all of it. But most importantly I had 5 feathers and the boost forward jump when running. I would activate the teleporter, then run like hell out of the immediate vicinity. Especially for those last few levels, shit gets way to hectic up close. With the Huntress, I was able to pick them off from a distance, or at least I just kept jumping around with the multi-jump. I had enough of the turtle shields (topaz maybe?) that it filled up very quickly, which def helped. 

With roguelites (or -likes?! not here to debate ?) like this, you really just need to get a "God-run" of sorts. The right combo of stuff on the right character can tend to make things more of a cakewalk! Just keep at it and eventually the game will hook you up with better stuff. 

Ya the turtle thing is the topaz broach and I would say it is a top 3 common item with glasses and syringe if you find a printer for any of these its safe to print off 10 of each.

The way Topaz broach works with shaped glass is broken because the shield from broach gives you One Shot Protection pretty much every time an enemy dies and it is the only shield item that can give one shot protection.  One shot protection is a mechanic the devs added where you cant get one shot if you are above %90 HP so with a bunch of broaches+Shaped glass you are invincible as long as you are killing stuff.

• Like 2

After playing the PC version for the past few days, I can say for sure that it's not quite as hard. My only guess is that the recent "Hidden Realms" update is the cause. Right now we're on the "Skills 2.0" update, which was released on the tenth of December (for consoles). The PC version got this update back in September. I have mixed feelings about this. It is frustrating to go through 20 stages currently, but at the same time, I kind of want to do it while it's still a challenge.

Once again, to everyone in this thread: thanks. I'm going to try again soon using what I learned from here. I think part of my problem is that I usually try using Mercenary; getting anywhere near a blazing enemy is suicide in the later stages.