Polls Open: PlayStation.Blog Game of the Decade

TrophyChief

For those who haven't ventured over to the PlayStation.Blog site to vote for your top three games that stood above the rest for the entire decade, take a moment to do so.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019/12/20/polls-open-playstation-blog-game-of-the-decade/

The top three I chose are:
God of War (2018)
The Last of Us
Dead Space 2

Very hard to choose for sure. So happy to play many of these games on the PlayStation consoles!

I had to differentiate between which games I really liked a lot, and which games really did something objectively remarkable. So this is not my personal top-3, this is what I think is the top-3 that really pushed this generation forward (and that I played...): 

• Bloodborne (arguably Dark Souls was more influential, but Bloodborne is the much, much better game). 
  • Hollow Knight. 
  • The Witcher 3. 

There might be equally enjoyable experiences out there, but those three games stand out for me personally. I didn't like The Witcher 3 as much as others did (but I enjoyed it a LOT regardless), mind you, but I can appreciate how incredibly well designed it is. 

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 4

• Alien Isolation - Managed to create an incredible atmosphere, and an experience so enjoyable that I think it's a better addition to the franchise than a lot of the movies.
  • Batman Arkham City - I could have picked Arkham Asylum but City is my favourite installment in the series. It captured and improved upon what made Asylum one of the best video game adaptations ever created and applied it to an open-world Gotham.
  • The Witcher 3 - This game has received enough praise from me and many others already so I won't repeat it, but there isn't a reality where this game isn't my pick for Game of the Decade.
  • Like 1

I don't really see the point in 'game of the decade' since there's so many games that it would be impossible to have a fair contest, in the sense people who vote would have had to play every game to have a fair opinion. All it comes down to is whatever game was most popular at the time, who makes it and if its triple A. 

• Like 2

* Mass Effect 2

Incredible story, characters, lore, gameplay...

* Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End

Amazing graphics, compelling story and a worthy closure for Nathan Drake.

* Assassin’s Creed Odyssey

How AC-games should be. From the base game to the DLC, it was an amazing adventure.

Though, Alien: Isolation is worth a mention too... (one of the few games I finished more than three times...).

Amazing atmosphere that is rarely matched.

That poll was way too hard to partake in, even though a single game would have been worse. There have just simply been way, way too many amazing games released the past decade.

3 hours ago, Ilzaki said:

Bloodborne

Final Fantasy XIV

Gravity Rush 2

I hope Gravity Rush gets some recognition.  

Great choice.

I do too, but it won't. The series just isn't popular enough, regardless of how fun, unique, and incredible it is. It's chronically depressing that Persona 5 and NieR:Automata, other JRPGS also released the same year (the latter WW), have been way more successful critically and commercially... and managed to be nominated for and won multiple awards, while Gravity Rush 2 (and the series) has just been fading into obscurity.

3 hours ago, SinisterPledge said:
  • Alien Isolation - Managed to create an incredible atmosphere, and an experience so enjoyable that I think it's a better addition to the franchise than a lot of the movies.

Can see that choice. This game did produce like one of, if not, the best enemy A.I. in a survival-horror game before others later on took inspiration from it. The game itself took inspiration from one of the best survival-horror series produced and a particular installment that may be the best in it: Dead Space 2. And the game generally is just an incredible survival-horror game, especially one that isn't action heavy but instead a mix in-between pure and action. (It is personally within my top 5 survival-horrors of this generation, along with The Forest and Dying Light.) Then there's of course the rare and impressive successful attempt of a high quality video game adaption based on a movie (series).

3 hours ago, LucianaRosethorn said:

I don't really see the point in 'game of the decade' since there's so many games that it would be impossible to have a fair contest, in the sense people who vote would have had to play every game to have a fair opinion. All it comes down to is whatever game was most popular at the time, who makes it and if its triple A. 

That goes for everything. This is why I rarely say and dislike the "this is best game ever" (i.e., "The Last of Us is the best game ever made") or "this is the best 'genre related game ever made" ("Crash Team Racing is the best kart racer ever made") and similar claims like that. They're nonsensical, considering none of us have managed to play a vast amount of games out there, within and especially outside a particular genre.

Edited by EcoShifter
  • Like 2