This game's performance is the worst I've ever seen

Johnytomm

I was informed by a lot of the fans that they fixed most, if not all of the issues. Bullshit, this game's framerate is abysmal and it looks awful as well. I've played this on release and sold it shortly after buying, but I don't remember it being that bad back then. Don't even wanna know how horribly it ran in the first couple of months... Thankfully, none of the trophies glitched on me so far, but I would totally classify this port as unplayable. Shame, really. Since I think this is the freshest and most original SH game since The Room.

2 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

How low are the frame rates? Single digits?

At times, yes. When walking around the city it usually chugs to 10 every couple of seconds, buildings are better, but it goes down to 2-5 when you enter new locations. Moving the camera when fighting enemies is a death wish

• 7 months later...

Ah, thank god I found this thread. I was starting to think my PS3 was having problems. I haven't booted the system up in a year or two at this point, and Downpour was the first thing I popped in!

Not only are the framerates abhorrent, but the screen tearing is also what really gets me! When the game is finally running smooth, the screen splits in half. I can't believe they let this game fail optimization so horrifically.

i actually really liked the game and enjoyed it but i know alot didnt. i do recall something about being in the city area that the game was struggling. i wouldnt say it was "the worst i ever seen" though. twisted metal would shut my ps3 off because it pulled so much processing power during startup the ps3 phat couldnt handle it, that game was hell to platinum

i heard the hd collection was good but really hard to finish. i ended up never getting around to it though

Edited by melodicmizery
  • Like 1

I don't remember it being THAT broken when I played it, but maybe I just got lucky. My frustration came from the unskippable cutscenes and the minimum three playthroughs required to platinum the game. Worst I've seen personally was Fallout 3's Broken Steel DLC crashing or dropping to PowerPoint levels of FPS every few steps I took. Working on New Vegas now and it will probably be the swan song of my dying PS3. 

I remember my journey platinuming this crap, the game have crashed on me 8 times on the whole platinum play through, my first time playing it have crashed 4 times in one sitting.

the most place the game crashed on is on that park that you must across to reach the radio station when going in or out of the park the game lags so bad it felt like running at 10FPS or something, and during those freezes the game will just crashs your whole ps3 forcing you to do a hard reset.

I'm lucky I haven't experienced any crashing so far. I'm onto my third playthrough.

I'm a big Silent Hill fan and I know a lot of people hated Downpour and the HD Collection. For me, since the patches for the HD Collection, it's tolerable and the fact that Konami literally threw away the source code for the completed versions of both 2 and 3 boggles my mind. Hyjinx actually did pretty well for piecing together all the missing components and everything else that they had to go through due to Konami's lack of support and Team Silent's disbandment.

Downpour though... I just don't understand how an AAA developer let so many big things go unchecked. It's the screen tearing for me. I can deal with stuttering and 10 fps in some places, but the tearing kills me. Downright gives me a headache. The story is also like a fever dream and takes a total 180, the monster design is trash, and I just really can't come up with anything good to say about it. Even the "fun" ending isn't that remarkable. It also took them eight months to even send out a patch for this game, so no wonder so many people gave up on it. Here's to my third, and hopefully last, playthrough.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Honestly I disagree, this isn't as bad as you are making it out to be. This isn't the best game ever by any means - I'm not saying that - but it also is NOT the worst game ever. If you go into this with an open mind and try not to let SH1-SH4 influence you, it's decent enough for a post Team Silent game. Sure it slows down a bit at times, has lots of screen tearing, awkward combat, and just general jank, but this is far from the worst out there. Even some good games have very bad performance on PS3.

I challenge you to also look at the following PS3 games, which all range in overall quality: Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas Ultimate (honestly my least favorite experience on PS3 performance wise - try 100+ hours of constant FR drops and freezing every half hour), Naughty Bear, Sonic 06, Escape Dead Island, Dark Souls - Blighttown section, Duke Nukem Forever, Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor, The Orange Box, Saints Row 4, Star Trek, Terminator Salvation, and Walking Dead Survival Instinct (to name a FEW). If you can still look us in the face and say SHD is the worst, then man, go play Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor PS3. You don't want to know "unplayable."

On 6.10.2022 at 2:04 AM, PhazePrime said:

Honestly I disagree, this isn't as bad as you are making it out to be. This isn't the best game ever by any means - I'm not saying that - but it also is NOT the worst game ever. If you go into this with an open mind and try not to let SH1-SH4 influence you, it's decent enough for a post Team Silent game. Sure it slows down a bit at times, has lots of screen tearing, awkward combat, and just general jank, but this is far from the worst out there. Even some good games have very bad performance on PS3.

I challenge you to also look at the following PS3 games, which all range in overall quality: Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas Ultimate (honestly my least favorite experience on PS3 performance wise - try 100+ hours of constant FR drops and freezing every half hour), Naughty Bear, Sonic 06, Escape Dead Island, Dark Souls - Blighttown section, Duke Nukem Forever, Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor, The Orange Box, Saints Row 4, Star Trek, Terminator Salvation, and Walking Dead Survival Instinct (to name a FEW). If you can still look us in the face and say SHD is the worst, then man, go play Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor PS3. You don't want to know "unplayable."

It was exactly as bad as i was making it out to be. The park in particular ran at such low frames with such constant tearing that i felt sick, I know about most of these and my point still stands