MMDE

Any good?

7 posts in this topic

This is a definitely a mixed bag. I can't see anyone loving it, but it's not terrible. Overall, some few tweaks and this would have been way better.

You control a school, where you can put up the rooms and buildings you have space for. As your school gain experience from missions and "daily" bonuses, it will level up and unlock more space and more buildings. Some buildings gets you more gold and xp in-game day, which is really a week. These bonuses can quickly stack you up to get a lot of money and rank up to the best buildings faster. Money can be spent on new buildings and to buy items from the traveling merchant that visits your school from time to time. That traveling merchant is the best source of some of the best weapons in the game, and should be checked every single time. Also have recipes for creating some of the best weapons. You need certain buildings to upgrade your students to various classes. Your school rank also determines the students max level, and some of the buildings can be used to boost the xp the students gain. Do notice that there's certain limits to the bonuses the buildings give. You can tell when you enter a dungeon.

Every half year you gotta graduate a student to help the kingdom. This is probably the single most annoying part of the game, as the student needs to be level 10 of it's class. All students have varied starter stats, and can be upgraded to new classes once they hit level 10. You really want to level the students to max level before each upgrade to new class. In the beginning they can max be level 10, once you rank up the school, it goes up by 5, until you hit level 30. Each student can be upgraded 2 times, so you can essentially get a student that's level 90 in the end. That's some massive difference between level 10 and not even being able to upgrade it once. To upgrade you actually don't just need the building, but done certain specific quests to unlock the trainers.

Each quest takes x amount of weeks to do, and is even ranked by it's difficulty, which is good as it helps you determine if your team is ready for the quests. One of the trophies are for beating the game without doing certain types of quests, which severely limits the quests you can do. Certain quests are awesome to earn xp in, and you get to keep them even if you fail the quest. You don't get to keep the items you find, but the xp remains. Good equipment + some grinding in certain spots should get you through those just fine. There is one glitched trophy, which is for beating a certain dragon. Once the dragon quest unlocks, DO IT RIGHT AWAY, and I think you gotta do it before beating the game too. If you don't do it right away, it might become a different quest and it will be lost. Extremely annoying. May want to back up save once you get a bit out into the game. I missed it twice. The different ending trophies worked rather fine to do all in one playthrough. So only one playthrough is really required unless you miss the dragon one. Don't do other kingdom quests! Get the bad ending. Help some kingdoms until the last quest change name! Get the normal ending. Do all the other kingdom quests, the last quest won't change name, but you'll receive the good ending trophy once you beat it again.

The classes are rather varied, though still quite limited. The missions are all almost the same. Go into a dungeon, collect certain stuff, kill x of y enemies, get to some portal, find someone. Some few are different though. This part was rather relaxing to me, but the battle system isn't all that great. Very short battles.

Great write-up and review.  I just picked up this game and really appreciate this!

Thanks for the review,  I've been on the fence many times trying to get this for less than 20 (physical) but really looks very monotonous.

I've wanting to once again diversify my gaming but it seems that I'll look elsewhere for something related to building stuff.

I think I'll just wait for Sakuna of rice and ruin (farming sim) next year to put something different in my catalog.

8 minutes ago, GoldenShaka said:

Thanks for the review,  I've been on the fence many times trying to get this for less than 20 (physical) but really looks very monotonous.

I've wanting to once again diversify my gaming but it seems that I'll look elsewhere for something related to building stuff.

I think I'll just wait for Sakuna of rice and ruin (farming sim) next year to put something different in my catalog.

I know you can get the game for less than £10 on Amazon, GAME and Cex but that is of course for those in the UK.

44 minutes ago, LucianaRosethorn said:

I know you can get the game for less than £10 on Amazon, GAME and Cex but that is of course for those in the UK.

Thank you, but I'm in USA and the less has been 14 when I've checked, when reach 10 I'll bite.

Happy new year 😄

I guess I missed to talk about how the missions are not random, and so there aren't infinite of them. Only a handful repeat, and they're either super simple or very difficult, making it difficult to level in post-game once you've done everything, but why would you continue then? Well, if you're stuck on one last quest, which is possible, it can become tricky/difficult/boring, especially since you gotta graduate one student every month. I don't know what happens if you don't graduate any student. As I said earlier, some few missions have a lot of enemies that give you good xp, and I personally just exited the mission before finishing 'em, and just repeated to level up some new characters. There's honestly only 3 "difficult" fights in the game. Last boss, but it's fairly easy tbh, the dragon, for some reason it was easy due too staying close (hit boxes) and abilities + high dex (making it harder to hit) + equipment that heals when it hits etc. The one I struggled with the most was some other quest for a special wand (related to all the "tree" missions). I don't think I ever died to anything but the tree one of these three. Just gotta do enough damage and not get killed too fast. That fight lasted for like 1 min. :P

There's some technical glitches you may run into, but nothing serious other than the dragon quest. I've experienced enemies floating above the ground, one time I was lucky and a dragon somehow made it above me and couldn't attack me, but I could attack it. One time one in my team went through the ground. The AI has some buggy path finding when going up and down certain stairs, but they will generally follow you if you don't take a hard turn once down.

Battle system is like action RPG, running around in small dungeons with a team of 4 characters, exploring the map, fighting enemies you meet etc. Camera angle is almost top down, but both angel and direction can be adjusted.

If you want to see what it's like playing, here's me streaming my entire path towards the platinum. Beware that it doesn't need to take as long as it took me. Could probably have been done in 20 hours just fine I think, if not less, like 15 hours. Depends on how fast you get into it really. And I did two playthroughs due to the glitched dragon quest and no backed up save. :(

And the game has some story, which... eh, I didn't follow it to closely tbh. Seemed rather short and superficial.

2 hours ago, GoldenShaka said:

Yeah, don't get this for the farming sim stuff. The stuff here is too simplistic I think. I think it's on sale in the PSN store though.

Edited by MMDE

The Game is in sale for 3,xx Euro actually, maybe I'll try it.