Favorite Film/Game/Series/Album of the Decade (2010-2019)

Crzy Minus

Now that 2019 is coming to a close and the 2010s are coming to an end, instead of of arranging some sort of list for particular movies or so, let's talk about one of our biggest highlights we've had in entertainment for the past 10 years.

Let's talk about our personal favorite film, video game, finished TV series and music album of the decade. It can be from any genre and so on.

Starting with mine:

Film:

Blade Runner 2049

tumblr_static_26osk19e9qck84sgcwogsw88w-

It's been sitting with me for 2 years now since I saw it back in 2017, and since then I've been reflecting it as whole, not only did it surpassed the original Ridley Scott film for me but it hits all the right notes of what a great film should be. This is some of the best effects I've ever seen, cinematography, production design, art design and so on. The plot is very simple, about a replicant officer finding his own humanity in the mists of his case. Sure the casting of Ryan Gosling as K might've been typecasted since he's been known as the quiet cool dude especially since he appeared in the film Drive, but I thought he did an excellent job playing the role, in fact everyone does. Of course the may not be 100% perfect, like it could've worked a lot better have it not been connected with the original film, even with the multiple viewings I've had I've even encountered some editing mistakes. The reason why this film is a personal favorite for the decade is because not only it elevates this already established world and gives it a whole new life but also there's a strong message about humanity that in the end it did resonate with me, and director Denis Villeneuve did his absolute best with the material he had to work with. In terms of taking an existing universe and making it new, I actually prefer this more over Mad Max Fury Road, which is another film I'm sure it will be included in others Favorite of the Decade.

-

Game:
Dark Souls

Dark+Souls.jpg

Not only I picked this game because it became huge influence for many other titles, it created a whole new sub-genre, it created a whole new way online games can be played, and it even helps more how replayable and fun it is. Not only this is my favorite game of the decade, but of all time. Some of the best level design I've ever seen, some of the best art design, best bosses...well, aside Bed of Chaos but still. This game is just brilliant. I started playing this when I was facing tough times in college and back then I started figuring things out on my own on what to do,, where to go, lore ideas, etc Once I finished the game for the first time, I immediately started New Game Plus and ran through it again. This is not only a game, it's an experience that both Hidetaka Miyazaki and the team at FromSoftware expertly created, and they succeeded. Even if others may prefer a game like Bloodborne over this, I still found more familiarity with this, just as if Firelink Shrine was an nostalgic safe home.

-

Now, I was never that much of a TV person so honestly I've never watched that much TV in my recent years. I've always heard about how great shows like Breaking Bad and cartoons like Adventure Time are, but never had the chance to dive into them. So instead, my pick for favorite show of the decade is an anime, and a very special one you should check out if you haven't.

Series:

Puella Magi Madoka Magica

71TIjxRpf0L._CR25,2,787,1112_.jpg

This is a 12 episode long anime, it's hard to get on detail about it without giving anything away, and for the years it existed outside the anime community it's never really gotten that much of attention. I'm just gonna get right into it, this thing is a fucking masterpiece. It's been described before as a deconstruction of the Magical Girl genre in anime but I think of it much more than that. Both story and character development in this is masterful, it's also gorgeous too how it plays off with the art design like with the witch enemies. Without getting into the last quarter of the show and the finale which deserve an essay of their own, everything about it is just powerful. If you're into anime or not and never seen Madoka, this deserves your attention more than ever.

-

Album:

Plastic Beach

Gorillaz-Plastic-beach.jpg

Was never that much of a music person, but I love Gorillaz for their blend of genres, and with Plastic Beach they reached their highest level. One of the most experimental albums of the decade, it's become my favorite Gorillaz album too, some of my favorite material of theirs is on it, in fact every song pretty much is a banger. I also love the mood and aesthetic it goes for, the moment I heard that intro followed by Snoop Dogg's vocals for the first time I knew, oh yeah this is something special. That's why Plastic Beach is my favorite album of the decade.

-

And there you have it, now what are your favorite of the decade picks?

Edited by Crzy Minus
  • Like 1

This is a very nice thread! 

Let's see, for me I think it's: 

Film: 

The John Wick series probably. (This is a very hard decision since the 2010s had some great movies.) 

I just love the story and I love the pure action in these films. And I will never forget the Baba Yaga scene it was freaking epic.

Keanu Reeves did a fantastic job.  

Image result for john wick chapter 2 2017 poster

(You know what? I gotta give Zootopia an honorable mention, it's probably my second favorite film from the 2010s)

Game:

Undertale.

Story is absolutely amazing, characters are very lovable and overall gameplay is fun. 

Image result for undertale soundfont

Second favorite is Final Fantasy XV, I really enjoyed the gameplay and the graphics are breathtaking. 

TV series: 

Stranger Things.

I love everything about this show. Cool 80s scenery and aesthetics, horror, lovable characters and the story is very interesting. 

Image result for stranger things wallpaper hd

Album: 

I don't have one, sorry! ?

Edited by Kurofur
  • Like 1

FILM:

SPIDER-MAN FAR FROM HOME

Spider-Man_Far_From_Home_poster.jpg

Watched a lot of movies in the last decade but this was the only one

that I had to see twice at the movies

GAME:

THE WITCHER III: WILD HUNT

Witcher_3_cover_art.jpg

A true masterpiece

TV SHOW:

JUSTIFIED

yVSyzIX24l8NjPW7vW2GJoPf5A4c7Wj4oVkZ6s6U

Edited by Feral

Favourite Film: 

Qjvk7Ik.jpg

Wolf Children (2012) - Mamoru Hosoda is the leading director in anime right now and this film is his masterpiece. Wonderful story, great characters, beautiful animation, lovely soundtrack, what's not to like?

Runners up: Pacific Rim, Life of Pi, Redline, The Hateful Eight

Best Series:

znZFNc9.jpg

Stranger Things (2016-current) - Great characters, fantastic pacing and writing (mostly, let's forget about that one episode in S2) and overall just very enjoyable to watch. Been rewatching it recently as well with new people and it still holds up very nicely.

Runners up: Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Better Call Saul, Fargo, Black Mirror

Best Game:

ItxUpnZ.jpg

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn/Heavensward/Stormblood/Shadowbringers (2013-current) - The game that got me back into MMOs again. So many good times spent playing content with friends, fantastic story (especially Heavensward and Shadowbringers), absolutely gorgeous music and so much content to do.

Runners up: Hollow Knight, Celeste, NieR + Automata, Bloodborne

Best Album:

JzVopBK.jpg

Kalafina - Red Moon (2010) - I'm a huge Kalafina fan (RIP) and this is one of their most consistently amazing albums. Many of my favourite songs of theirs aren't actually on here but this has the highest level of quality across the board. The live blu-ray from this album's tour with most of the tracks performed is also phenomenal.

Runners up: Draconian - Sovran, GUNSHIP - Dark All Day, ling tosite sigure - I'mperfect, Aimer - Midnight Sun, PERTURBATOR - Dangerous Days

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Best Film: Zootopia & Runner Up: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Zootopia - Wikipedia

Best Game: The Witcher 3 - The Wild Hunt & Runner Up: Last of Us

Amazon.com: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Game Guide & Walkthrough: The ...

Best TV Show:  Breaking Bad & Runner Up: Person of Interest 

Breaking Bad | Breaking Bad Wiki | Fandom

Best Album: Janelle Monáe - The ArchAndroid & Runner Up: Lord Huron - Strange Trails

Janelle Monae - Archandroid Video Playlist