Suggestion : keeping track of world/country ranks over time

Hi,

Though I'm nowhere near top tier, I like the idea of world and country ranks as it can be a nice incentive and show how good you're doing. Well at least I know I had a lot of fun monitoring my slow progression till I made it to the top 5000 French players.  The current system, however, only shows your current ranks and it seems there's no way to keep track of your rank evolution over time, apart from manually writing it down obviously.

I feel that would make for an interesting new graph in the statistics tab.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JeManquedHygiene said:

Hi,

Though I'm nowhere near top tier, I like the idea of world and country ranks as it can be a nice incentive and show how good you're doing. Well at least I know I had a lot of fun monitoring my slow progression till I made it to the top 5000 French players.  The current system, however, only shows your current ranks and it seems there's no way to keep track of your rank evolution over time, apart from manually writing it down obviously.

I feel that would make for an interesting new graph in the statistics tab.

You're climbing over dead bodies, especially in the beginning. The statistics you'd really want to see is how many of those on the leaderboards are still active. That would be a funny number.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JeManquedHygiene said:

If leaderboards are BAD, then don't use them and don't pay any attention to them. It is that simple. 1f611.png

Oh I'm not going to use it...

but more leaderboard stuff turns into more whining and crying because there are more cheaters, team accounts, etc and how life isn't fair and mommy didn't make me any cookies today and blah blah blah blah.

We have enough drama with the status quo.

• Like 2

I'm a bit disappointed that this thread instantly turned into a discussion about leaderboards themselves. Yes I'm aware they're all but perfect and that a lot could be said about cheaters, inactive players, spamming 1-hour platinums, etc but that is not my point. World and country ranks are an existing feature of this site and I only suggest a better tracking of said feature, that's all. I had no idea people would be so vocal about it.

While you wait for this to be considered, you can do this same thing yourself by adding your Profile page regularly to the Wayback Machine: https://archive.org/web/

Then you can check it over time.

Thanks, that is very smart. Will definitely consider.

• Like 2

I think it would be a good idea. Maybe if it took the form of a graph (like the trophies earned by month on the current stats page) and it could plot a line of leaderboard position vs month. Different coloured lines could be used to represent different leaderboards and country ranks. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, PSXtreme_ said:

Oh I'm not going to use it...

but more leaderboard stuff turns into more whining and crying because there are more cheaters, team accounts, etc and how life isn't fair and mommy didn't make me any cookies today and blah blah blah blah.

We have enough drama with the status quo.

I don't like cheaters and would like team accounts to be labelled as such, because obvious reasons, but I don't give a damn about leaderboards or my place on them. I don't see why tracking one's own progress would be controversial, nor removing cheaters etc.

3 hours ago, Warlord99956 said:

I think it would be a good idea. Maybe if it took the form of a graph (like the trophies earned by month on the current stats page) and it could plot a line of leaderboard position vs month. Different coloured lines could be used to represent different leaderboards and country ranks. 

Actually when I saw this thread, I was thinking on that. 

Really would be the ideal way, and somewhat interesting to see, even for someone like me, that my country rank actually doesn't move much (+-2 or 3 at most), I don't really pay much attention to the world rank, because it does move more. 

That is also an interesting way to gauge game time or trophies earned, because my rank often goes down when I have less time to play and goes up when I have more time to play. 

For example, I have been as up as rank 40, but that was when I was unemployed and had tons of time to play, now with less time to play and with a big increase in easy pointless platinums, my rank did lower a bit (still didn't drop as much one would think). 

4 hours ago, thefourfoldroot said:

I don't like cheaters and would like team accounts to be labelled as such, because obvious reasons, but I don't give a damn about leaderboards or my place on them. I don't see why tracking one's own progress would be controversial, nor removing cheaters etc.

Because tracking your progress is actually tracking your progression up the leaderboard...

Individual stats are how many bronze you have, how many trophies you have unlocked in a day, how many days in a row you've unlocked a trophy. Individual means not comparing you to others...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, PSXtreme_ said:

Because tracking your progress is actually tracking your progression up the leaderboard...

There's nothing wrong with that if you find it enjoyable, I just don't understand what bothers you so much. So anything allowing you to compare you to others should be banned ? Then I guess we should get rid of trophy rarity as well because that's what it's for.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, JeManquedHygiene said:

There's nothing wrong with that if you find it enjoyable, I just don't understand what bothers you so much. So anything allowing you to compare you to others should be banned ? Then I guess we should get rid of trophy rarity as well because that's what it's for.

That's the mentality of these kids these days. If they don't like something or it causes some drama then it shouldn't be allowed according to them, so they can have their 'safe space' where nothing can offend them.

Those people need to just nut up and learn to deal with a little bit of drama without whining about it in every other topic.

Edited by danceswithsloths
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JeManquedHygiene said:

True, but I think a monthly retention would be plenty enough to have valuable stats, and more easily doable.

The only thing with that is that is your ranking can fluctuate wildly in a month and you may never know your highest ranking (if that is what you wanted to see). Still once a month would be better than nothing.

I like the idea by the way, it's data I've been recording sporadically since June 2014.