IGN Review Score Change

TrophyChief

Thoughts?

Curious but not curious enough to give a click.

I doubt that they own up to their pettiness, trolling, and incompetence when it comes to their old standards.

New ways of doing things won't fix them unless they stop with the echo chambers and "Yes-man" nature to their group podcasts.

• Like 2

LMAO do you guys really believe review scores at the big gaming websites like IGN are bought?

I personally think review scores are pointless and only discourage people from actually reading the review but that's another discussion. Taking steps to at least simplify the scale make sense. I keep track of all the movies I see in the cinema on my phone and rate them on a 5 point scale and that's hard enough. To do it on a 100 point scale would be near impossible.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, DaikichiKawachi said:LMAO do you guys really believe review scores at the big gaming websites like IGN are bought?

I personally think review scores are pointless and only discourage people from actually reading the review but that's another discussion. Taking steps to at least simplify the scale make sense. I keep track of all the movies I see in the cinema on my phone and rate them on a 5 point scale and that's hard enough. To do it on a 100 point scale would be near impossible.

I feel the opposite.  I have always wanted to rate Netflix movies with .5 (half stars) but they only allowed full stars 1-5.  Then when they split streaming from the DVD service, you can only rate streaming movies as a “thumbs up” or “thumbs down”!  So worthless for ratings and recommendations.

I do like IMDB where I rate my movies in a scale of 1-10.  

I think Dan hits the nail on the head.  The 100 point scale makes it seem like there is a process to how they get to the score that they are presenting.  The new 10 point scale they are going with basically boils the score down to a single word and how much the reviewer enjoyed their time with the game.  Even though I don't really watch their stuff anymore, I am a big fan of this change.

I think the bigger issue with reviews from outlets like IGN and Gamespot is that I don't even know the reviewers. It seems there's constantly someone different reviewing titles and there are even times where they'll have someone that hates the game or genre doing the review. I find reviewers like ACG or even a small group like Easy Allies to be a lot more reliable because it's the same people reviewing the games, so overtime I can develop an understanding and trust for their reviews and scores. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, djb5f said:

I feel the opposite.  I have always wanted to rate Netflix movies with .5 (half stars) but they only allowed full stars 1-5.  Then when they split streaming from the DVD service, you can only rate streaming movies as a “thumbs up” or “thumbs down”!  So worthless for ratings and recommendations.

I do like IMDB where I rate my movies in a scale of 1-10.  

I do agree with you on the Netflix thing though. Thumbs up and down are poor indicators because I'm selective enough to only watch things I'll like in the first place lol.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, DaikichiKawachi said:

LMAO do you guys really believe review scores at the big gaming websites like IGN are bought?

I know for a fact that they are...

They are bought with all-expense paid trips to exotic locations for some games, others to their headquarters with other perks. Free games are sent to the sites, along with all types of swag gifts and exclusive promotional items.

• Like 2

On 1/2/2020 at 9:27 PM, PSXtreme_ said:

They are bought with all-expense paid trips to exotic locations for some games, others to their headquarters with other perks. Free games are sent to the sites, along with all types of swag gifts and exclusive promotional items.

It's not a direct monetary transaction, bit it bloody near well amounts to it.

Edited by DaivRules
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ObliviousSenpai said:

I think the bigger issue with reviews from outlets like IGN and Gamespot is that I don't even know the reviewers. It seems there's constantly someone different reviewing titles and there are even times where they'll have someone that hates the game or genre doing the review. I find reviewers like ACG or even a small group like Easy Allies to be a lot more reliable because it's the same people reviewing the games, so overtime I can develop an understanding and trust for their reviews and scores. 

That's definitely my big issue with reviews as well.  A lot of bad review scores boil down to the reviewer doesn't like the type of game or the console its on.  A reviewer who only likes shooters, for example, really shouldn't be reviewing a VN or really any sort of game that is more about story than gameplay.  I actually prefer reviews on more niche sites devoted to particular genres or from fans of the genre.  To be honest, I think reading the user reviews from events on here gives me a better idea of what to expect from a game than most professional reviews do.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SpaghettiGrabsy said:

It's as direct as it can be. Probably nobody here remembers the Payola Scandal with Alan Freed in 1960, but the industries find new ways around the obstacles. 

The sites are always free to give whatever scores they want, but if you dis one of their highlighted games, don't expect to be on the invite list for the next AAA title announcement event...and then your preview-able and review-able copies might get lost in the mail and not show up until after the launch date, if it ever shows up at all. Press backdoor access to their corporate sites may get revoked and any opportunity to break a story goes right out the window. Eventually you start falling off and you drop out of the elite level of gaming sites.

We had staff receive complimentary financial "help" to attend E3, when it was a press-only event.  Staff were flown out first class to multiple EA and Activision exclusive all-paid events where there were only 5-10 total sites picked for attendance. Companies like Sammy Studios ( which became High Moon Studios) and Atlas sent me pre-production copies of games for early review, along with some pretty sweet press kits.The guys that went out for the Madden events were overwhelmed on what EA provided. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PSXtreme_ said:

32 minutes ago, SpaghettiGrabsy said:

Game journalists get free stuff no matter what lol.

The trips are preview events. Special editions are for unboxing videos. Etc. 

The reviewers give any scores they want. 

Example: IGN got Death Stranding special edition PS4 Pro for free. They gave it 6.8. And you can be sure that Sony and Kojima Pro will still invite them wherever and give them whatever for free. 

2 minutes ago, PSXtreme_ said:

Don't expect to be on the invite list for the next AAA title announcement event.

Yeah, they won't invite IGN, suuure.

Edited by Alderriz
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ObliviousSenpai said:

You hit the nail on the head EXACTLY! It’s not about the score it’s about the person reviewing and knowing their tastes.  You have to know the reviewer and how your tastes compare to judge. 

• Like 1