Game crashes constantly - Patch v1.02 (Disc version) - SOLVED

I've been meaning to get the platinum trophies of these games again with the remastered collection, now that it's coming to Plus. But every time I boot up the collection post-patch (v1.02), it crashes after a few minutes.

Before anyone asks: it's a disc version, and my disc drive is just fine; I played and platinumed Kingdom Hearts 3 a few weeks ago which I also own on disc, and that game never caused any trouble. Disc doesn't seem damaged either.

To cement my claim even further that this is a patch issue: I tried playing the game pre-patch by playing the 1.00 version, and everything ran smoothly. Booted the game with my save files as well, and fresh from scratch (i.e. deleting my save files from my hard drive): same issue on v1.02. So, it's not a save file problem. It all seems to fall back on the patch version, which screws over my copy royally.

The error code I receive, is: CE-34878-0

Can anyone check if they have the same issue with the newest patch installed? Because I'm convinced this has to be a general issue.

Edit (August 9th, 2023): I found what the cause is. Editing my original post so people don't have to start scrolling to find it. You can read the solution here.

Edited by JoaLoft
Issue resolved

40 minutes ago, Squirlruler said:

It seems unlikely that it is the patch, considering the patch has been out since 2015. Would guess it is your disk.

Impossible, because I tried the disc on another PS4 with v1.02: worked perfectly. Which doesn't seem to get me any closer to a solution. Plus, it wouldn't make sense that the disc would be the cause of it, if it functions properly with v1.00 and doesn't with v1.02.

So I figured: "maybe I need to rebuild my database". Did that just now, started it up with v1.02 again ... Still no luck. I'm running out of options, because every time I think I found the cause, there's some contradiction involved.

• Like 1

Just now, JoaLoft said:

Impossible, because I tried the disc on another PS4 with v1.02: worked perfectly. Which doesn't seem to get me any closer to a solution. Plus, it wouldn't make sense that the disc would be the cause of it, if it functions properly with v1.00 and doesn't with v1.02.

So I figured: "maybe I need to rebuild my database". Did that just now, started it up with v1.02 again ... Still no luck. I'm running out of options, because every time I think I found the cause, there's some contradiction involved.

Delete the game and reinstall.

6 minutes ago, JoaLoft said:

Did that, three or four times, to test it out with and without the patch. Only time everything worked flawlessly was without the patch.

Quite weird. First assumption was, if it’s neither the patch nor your disc then it’s logical to assume it’s an hardware issue... But this ?

The Blu-ray drive of my PS3 just let go a few years ago without any warning. Played a game just fine, the next day it would no longer read it. 

Edited by Neef-GT5

2 minutes ago, Smashero said:

Not relevant to REMASTERED version of Uncharted ;)

Sorry, just had to ;).

You did well to actually ?

It was with PS3 games, obviously ?

1 minute ago, BeautifulTorment said:

Just play it unpatched then.

Or wait for the PS+ digital version next week so you no longer have to bother with the disc, might be worth a try...

Edited by Neef-GT5
  • Like 1

Just now, JoaLoft said:

Did that, three or four times, to test it out with and without the patch. Only time everything worked flawlessly was without the patch.

I can't see it being the patch or there would be waaaay more complaint threads about it.

I dunno if rebuilding your database clears the Playstation cache, but you can try that as well.

• Like 1

Here are 2 additional possibilities:

1: The patch is getting corrupted during the download for some reason.

2: The game is getting installed to a bad sector on your Hard Drive.

The first one can only be fixed by waiting a few days for your ISP to clear their DNS cache, then you can try redownloading the update but the second one should be fixable by installing a couple of other games then installing the Uncharted Collection so it ends up on another sector (at least that's the theory).

31 minutes ago, Neef-GT5 said:

Quite weird. First assumption was, if it’s neither the patch nor your disc then it’s logical to assume it’s an hardware issue... But this ?

The Blu-ray drive of my PS3 just let go a few years ago without any warning. Played a game just fine, the next day it would no longer read it. 

Seriously hope it's not my drive starting to give. Would really suck, considering we're less than a year away from the PS5. Supposedly.

26 minutes ago, BeautifulTorment said:

Just play it unpatched then.

That's my last resort, but I'd rather figure out why the patch conflicts with my system, considering there are a number of important fixes in the patches.

25 minutes ago, Neef-GT5 said:

You did well to actually 1f601.png

It was with PS3 games, obviously 1f609.png

Or wait for the PS+ digital version next week so you no longer have to bother with the disc, might be worth a try...

If my disc version keeps acting up, I'm going to actually try the free digital version with Plus, and see if that solves anything.

20 minutes ago, Squirlruler said:

I can't see it being the patch or there would be waaaay more complaint threads about it.

I dunno if rebuilding your database clears the Playstation cache, but you can try that as well.

I'll have to look into this, and see if you can clear your cache in a different way if rebuilding the database doesn't do this. Thanks!

12 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

Here are 2 additional possibilities:

1: The patch is getting corrupted during the download for some reason.

2: The game is getting installed to a bad sector on your Hard Drive.

The first one can only be fixed by waiting a few days for your ISP to clear their DNS cache, then you can try redownloading the update but the second one should be fixable by installing a couple of other games then installing the Uncharted Collection so it ends up on another sector (at least that's the theory).

This is a good suggestion, one that I haven't tried yet. I'll keep that in mind if my disc version acts up again, thanks!

Here's the real kicker, I tried it again after blowing any potential dust out of the sides and the disc slot with a can of compressed air, out of desperation.

Booted the game up again (with version 1.02) ... Works like a charm. I don't know if I got lucky or dust particles were the culprit here, but so far no more issues. The game's been running here for about twenty minutes, and I've been able to play the first two chapters without even one crash. Thanks anyway for all the help!

Quick note: I don't seem to be the only one who has had to deal with this specific issue. I found this on Reddit:

Someone had exactly the same problem with a digital version two years ago. Really strange. I'll try to platinum everything now that I have the chance, but just so you know: it doesn't seem to be a completely isolated incident. Wouldn't be surprised if a few people here and there might end up having the same problem once it hits Plus. If anyone at all has any issues with the digital version, because by now, most people have already bought and played the entire collection.

1 minute ago, JoaLoft said:

Someone had exactly the same problem with a digital version two years ago. Really strange. I'll try to platinum everything now that I have the chance, but just so you know: it doesn't seem to be a completely isolated incident. Wouldn't be surprised if a few people here and there might end up having the same problem once it hits Plus. If anyone at all has any issues with the digital version, because by now, most people have already bought and played the entire collection.

The error message you get is the very generic "Something went wrong". The number of reasons is incredibly high for that type of error.

Glad you got it working though. GL

7 minutes ago, BeautifulTorment said:

What important fixes are there? I think I played all 3 games entirely unpatched on PS4. 

Have you changed any settings? Sometimes weird things happen to games if patches are untested in certain languages other than English, for example.

Ironically enough: stability improvements, and a "fixed issue where campaign save files could become labeled as Speed Run".

Also, I always play my games in English so I wouldn't know if the different language options could even be the cause of it. ;)

I also experienced a crash with that error code in Drake's Fortune in 2016. I played the game patched, but I don't know which patch version installed. It was the disc version, not digital.

What I did was disabling the stuff on the game's main menu settings that uploads/shows/compares your statistics online. After I did that, I didn't experience a single crash anymore.

I've literally 5 minutes ago had this exact issue. I found an article with somewhat of a workaround. If you disconnect the PSN connection via the settings on the console, you can get around it.

I kept having hard crashes at the beginning of Chapter 4 (While going for the hanging kills/grenade hanging kills), never happened afterwards.

I've had this error in other games. AC Chronicles for instance. It crashed constantly during loading of levels when I played China and India but never on Russia.

The savefile got corrupted several times randomly when the game crashed.

According to Support this error can be related to if you replace the HDD in you're PS4.

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/get-help/help-library/error-codes/ce-34878-0/

Slightly different but I had a few issues with UCR. While doing the Brutal playthrough my save corrupted 3 times (just the slot for Brutal none of the other 2 I had) and crashed twice during speed runs. It felt like a troll by my console as the regular playthrough on Crushing was smooth then all these problems with the DLC stuff. Unfortunately I dont remember the error code but just thought it worth mentioning that I had a share of problems with the game.  

I think I found the real cuprit: it's the friend stats.

Played a full game on Crushing difficulty and not one crash occurred. As soon as I checked those from the menu to compare, the application crashed. And the issue came back.

Disconnected my PS4 from the net (by toggling it off in the Network settings) and everything works fine.

So, this doesn't seem to be a hardware issue or software issue on my end: it's gotta be a server-related problem.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, JoaLoft said:

I think I found the real cuprit: it's the friend stats.

Played a full game on Crushing difficulty and not one crash occurred. As soon as I checked those from the menu to compare, the application crashed. And the issue came back.

Disconnected my PS4 from the net (by toggling it off in the Network settings) and everything works fine.

So, this doesn't seem to be a hardware issue or software issue on my end: it's gotta be a server-related problem.

Basically, get the sole online trophy then disconnect from the net and the stability problems will go away?

Just now, HuntingFever said:

Basically, get the sole online trophy then disconnect from the net and the stability problems will go away?

Pretty much, yeah.

I did test out turning my network back on, in the middle of the game itself, and everything seems to be running smoothly still.

Just be wary of the friend stats - those could make your game crash. At least, that's what they did to me. I got those friend stats trophies in all three games yesterday, super quickly, just so I never have to access them again.

Well, my ps+ version crashed 9 times yesterday, mostly related to camera mode. Also, if i bongo along to the intro music by pressing down on the dpad, i can make it crash as soon as it loads a save. Lol

Also, just booted up U3 for the first time and it logs me out of psn everytime because 'an error has occurred'

Edited by TheMightyImp2

3 hours ago, TheMightyImp2 said:

Well, my ps+ version crashed 9 times yesterday, mostly related to camera mode. Also, if i bongo along to the intro music by pressing down on the dpad, i can make it crash as soon as it loads a save. Lol

Also, just booted up U3 for the first time and it logs me out of psn everytime because 'an error has occurred'

Have you tried turning off your internet connection on the PS4 before booting the collection?