RUMOR PS5 Backwards Compatible Back to PS1?

ExHaseo

That would be really nice. I could continue some of my unfinished ps3 games. I still have my PS3, but switching consoles is such a hassle. If I could just use one console to play them I'd be far more likely to try and finish some of them.

I got rid of my PS1 with the games years ago, and never got a PS2 so BC for those is not that important to me. Unless they made games available digitally and they add trophies to them.

• Like 3

I am mostly disinterested in ps3 games, unless they actually add stuff like Folklore or Nier to store. Because I haven't bothered with finding and importing a disk prior this date and I won't now.

Would be glad for vita support, cause I want my friend to play Muramasa Rebirth. While I will be satisfied with full ps4 support.

• Like 1

PS3 software emulation only hit about 80% compatibility with PS2 titles. It’d be interesting to see how effective internal testing result have been at Sony. 

While I think this could be really cool, I still don’t buy it. There isn’t anything revealed in the rumor that lends credibility to it being believable.

54 minutes ago, ExHaseo said:

It would also make it so we stop getting old games re-released all the time. So developers will have to focus on making new/higher quality games instead.

In your dreams. Rereleases spike sales, expose entirely new audiences to titles, and provide work for the porting developers. They’re a net gain for the industry. They also can’t take time away from working on new titles if those studios don’t have a new title to work on. 

• Like 3

As long as it has PS4 backward compatibility I'm happy. I don't want them to waste resources and increase the price of the PS5 just so it can run PS1-3 games. Even PS3 will be 14 years when PS5 comes out.

I used to keep all my old consoles (Commodore, Atari, etc.) but a few years back sold it all. I barely used it once a year to play for an hour or two and it was just collecting dust.

• Like 3

I said it right here on this site that I was pretty sure that some form of backwards compatibility with their legacy consoles was in play.  The 25th PlayStation Anniversary celebration, Microsoft had made a push (half-heartedly, but a fan-requested push mid console generation, nonetheless) for backwards compatibility...you honestly could have read it in the tea leaves!  ?

Now the major question is: is it licensed-based (a slower emulation application they could use for PS Now a la Xbox backwards compatibility) or a more traditional, hardware-based emulation with updated ‘remastering’ tools for legacy disc titles (a la PS2 for PS1 games with smoothing/60gb PS3 for PS1 & PS2 games with dithering and Widescreen).  My hope/expectation?  They use *BOTH* applications for backwards compatibility.  But at least one of the two processes will be implemented into the PS5, that is clearly evident.  Fun times, indeed!  ?

P.S. Both methods COULD implement trophies in PS1/PS2 games, if SONY deems it so...?

All I’m saying is this better not be their major focus.. and we yet again get told “60 FPS most of the time” and can barely hit 30 on some games.

At least 60 FPS every game, backwards compt for at least ps4, and the SSD are my only wants. They’d never take the time to add trophies for ps1-ps2. Trophies to the casual eye are nothing and they want casual sales.

This would be awesome if did happen,  would potentially mean less remasters too, so less re-releases and more new stuff which could be a very good thing. Also if did let you use all these consoles discs, would make some only need a ps5 for all there games ?

Defo want to see what happens/comes of this in the future 

PS1, PS2, PS4 backwards compatibility is going to be easy. However, the rumoured 4k support for these BCs is rather remarkable. Something to pay attention to in the future to see if it's legit or not.

Getting PS3 to work is going to take a miracle at this point. But maybe the geniuses at Sony can figure out how to emulate the cell architecture and upscale it. For now, I don't see that happening and I'd love to be wrong.

• Like 2

I'm not one that really takes advantage of backward compatibility, mainly because I have all my old systems and can easily hook them up if I want to play something, but this would be a really cool feature if Sony figures out a way to do it. Honestly, I just expect the PS5 to be backward compatible with the PS4, I doubt we'll see PS3 or earlier console compatibility. I'd love to be proven wrong, though. 

Parker

• Like 2

Why are they saying HipHomGamer is the source of this? Lmao

I think he's just reading off a rumor I remember reading months ago where they basically seemed to have designed the CPU to be able to adapt to emulating each past system when the situation calls for it or something similar. It's not quite new news, however if they manage to pull it off it would be pretty awesome

If it wouldn't for the tsnumani of counterfeit DS3 I wouldn't be anxious about the BC with PS3, I know, you can plug a  DS4 (and other gamers say it can be added via Bluetooth -haven't tried yet) but still there are some exceptions with the game list. For me it would be huge if the rumor is real.