RUMOR PS5 Backwards Compatible Back to PS1?

ExHaseo

2 hours ago, Dangisuckatgamin said:

All I’m saying is this better not be their major focus.. and we yet again get told “60 FPS most of the time” and can barely hit 30 on some games.

At least 60 FPS every game, backwards compt for at least ps4, and the SSD are my only wants. They’d never take the time to add trophies for ps1-ps2. Trophies to the casual eye are nothing and they want casual sales.

Never say ‘never’...?

http://wegotthiscovered.com/gaming/sony-patents-method-adding-trophy-support-psone-ps2-games

As s SONY fan, trophy hunter, and gamer, I have hope (not faith, mind you) that one day I could play The Bouncer on my PS5, here Volt yell ‘You Ready?’, watch an amazing 3-way tag beatdown scene happen, and get a trophy for it!  ?

Edited by Starcade_Legend
Grammar.
  • Like 2

It would add no value whatsoever to me. Maybe if it was also compatible with the hardware, meaning the memory cards and controllers, then I might lend an ear but I still have my old stuff if I need to use them. There aren't really that many games that I wish to play even on the PS3 generation anymore and the ones I want the most would not be solved by backwards compatibility. Games like Super Robot Taisen Z & Alpha series, or Sakura Wars series. Also the old games are region locked which could be a problem.

I have 0 confidence in this rumor. It supposedly says that they will play and enhance play games for all retro consoles. And add trophies to titles that don't have them in the way. Sony has 0 interest in this there's marginal (read pocket change) money to be made on this. 0 competence to do it there's much easier and profitable things to do and they're not able to, simply because they're making enough money and they're lazy and dumb to make more.

It's most probable the PS5 has enough power to emulate the PS3 completely, that it's not difficult. PS1 and PS2 emulations are a joke these days. That they will take any effort to add something to any title retroactively I find even more doubtful when they already did remasters of older games that could be profitable to do so.

Finally there's no mass market interest on this. All most customers want is the latest most hyped AAA game even if it's a piece of junk or the nth iteration of the same incremental crap. That's what sells and give Sony money.

• Like 1

I hope its true if only because i wont have to worry about ps3 servers going offline(outside of the multiplayer of certain games) when i still have at least a hundred ps3 games i want to do. But realistically i expect only ps4 will be available at launch with ps1,2,3 possibly coming in a later firmware update since ps3 has weird tech that is a bitch to program for and could cause problems as far as emulation goes.

9 minutes ago, jgm4789 said:

I hope its true if only because i wont have to worry about ps3 servers going offline(outside of the multiplayer of certain games) when i still have at least a hundred ps3 games i want to do. But realistically i expect only ps4 will be available at launch with ps1,2,3 possibly coming in a later firmware update since ps3 has weird tech that is a bitch to program for and could cause problems as far as emulation goes.

Backwards compatibility wouldn't change decisions to shut down servers 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, talespagni said:

It would be amazing if it happens, though I don't think it will, because Sony will want to push Playstation Now hard in the next gen.

Playstation Now would be made more valuable with BC, not less.  Also, Sony would still need to negotiate rights to legacy software from third party publishers in order to add their games to the service.  Moreover, if the Playstation 5 is compatible with these legacy system, Sony can add the option to download legacy software to the console for local offline play as long as the subscription is active.  

There is another thing I want to mention.  Playstation Now will never have the full library of Playstation and Playstation 2 games.  In some cases it's impossible because the publisher or developers of some of those games no longer exist, which puts streaming rights in perpetual legal limbo.  Having backward compatibility allows owners of these games to play them on the Playstation 5.  Any Playstation and Playstation 2 systems out in the wild are 25 to about 7 years old.  The older units will be reaching the end of their useful lifetimes eventually.  Having newer hardware to run those games are a benefit.

Considering the rumors I've been hearing about the PS5 being measurably less powerful than the XBox Series X, I find myself considering holding off on upgrading until Sony releases a souped up console.  Having backwards compatibility with legacy software prior to the Playstation 4 will cause me to no longer hesitate and purchase one during the launch window.

Edited by LordBilbanes

5 hours ago, Starcade_Legend said:

or a more traditional, hardware-based emulation

IBM hasn’t made Cell processors (an 8 core PPC architecture processor that powered the PS3) for Sony in quite a long time, so hardware emulation is almost certainly not a possibility. 

2 hours ago, Starcade_Legend said:

Never say ‘never’...1f914.png

http://wegotthiscovered.com/gaming/sony-patents-method-adding-trophy-support-psone-ps2-games

As s SONY fan, trophy hunter, and gamer, I have hope (not faith, mind you) that one day I could play The Bouncer on my PS5, here Volt yell ‘You Ready?’, watch an amazing 3-way tag beatdown scene happen, and get a trophy for it!  1f605.png

Titles would need a developer go code trophies for PS1/2 games individually and go through the approval process. Trophy support in a patent is not the same as trophies instantly appearing in all PS1/2 games. 

1 hour ago, ShadowReplicant said:

There's no way they'll add backwards compatibility for anything older than PS4, at least in terms of physical media. I wouldn't be surprised if they added some kind of digital archive though, like the PS one / PS2 Classics on PS3/PSP/Vita.

There's no real reason they can't. The Xbox One doesn't actually play a 360 or Xbox disc, it just installs the game data and runs from there. The disc is solely for ownership verification. The PS5 could use the same approach for PS1-3 games.

That being said, I highly doubt this is happening, not when Sony is trying to push PS Now. PS4 BC will be all it has while PS Now will be pushed as PS3 and PS2 "BC"

• Like 1

It isn't that simple for Sony.  Sure they can put all their legacy software on PS Now, but for third party software, they would need to negotiate rights to make those games available for the service.  PS Now is likely legally distinct from the older legacy consoles, and as such, would likely require Sony negotiate the rights to have them on the service.  Having backward compatibility to run the games on a PS5, I think would be a great selling point for the system.

• Like 1

I'm more interested about PS1-PS3 on PS5 because I cant find official controllers for those systems anymore, so I can't play them anymore. 

Dont come with the PSNow bullshit. Since they dropped the price, they add 2-3 games per month that are time limited. They haven't added a single PS3 game ever since, so No, that service is not interesting and I'm not renewing my subscription at the end of this year. 

If the Playstation 5 was full backwards compatible I would buy it day one even if it cost $700
I'd probably still would keep my old systems maybe buy duplicate games and trophy boost online with myself and hope that would include digital titles for both PS3 and PS4, but not really counting on any of that because Sony. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, BlindMango said:

I remember reading months ago where they basically seemed to have designed the CPU to be able to adapt to emulating each past system

PS4 should be emulated in either G0 or G1, leaving G2 level functions solely for PS5 games.

Edited by Helyx

I doubt it is going to happen. In the end they make more money by remastering old games in order for us to buy them again, so from a monetary point of view this backwards compatibility makes little sense, unless they increase the price for the ps5 with the argument that you can play games from older generation consoles as well.

2 hours ago, DaivRules said:

IBM hasn’t made Cell processors (an 8 core PPC architecture processor that powered the PS3) for Sony in quite a long time, so hardware emulation is almost certainly not a possibility. 

Titles would need a developer go code trophies for PS1/2 games individually and go through the approval process. Trophy support in a patent is not the same as trophies instantly appearing in all PS1/2 games. 

i don’t claim to know the technical aspects of what making backwards compatibility for legacy systems would entail, but coming from a business rationale: 25th Anniversary of PlayStation, your biggest opponents tried backwards compatibility but officially discontinued with a lackluster effort (41 Original Xbox titles available out of 1011 and 575 Xbox 360 titles out of 2102), your PS Now service would be leaps and bounds more valuable with touting the moniker of having titles from all PlayStation home consoles ever, leaks about ‘remastered’ backwards compatibility running rampant...this just makes sense.

Again, HOW they will execute this endeavor is up for speculation.  But to gloss over it as being completely impossible or nonsensical  as you and others have alluded to is a bit naive...?

Once again, I have HOPE (I don’t have FAITH) that SONY would bring legacy titles with all the bells and whistles to their new platform.  I don’t have a hard stance one way or another.  It’s backwards compatibility, for Pete’s sake; regardless, it’s not gonna be the main reason SONY gets my money in December...?

• Like 1