RUMOR PS5 Backwards Compatible Back to PS1?

ExHaseo

I would rather see Sony put full power into the PS5 with only PS4 backwards compatibility. Give developers the raw power and engines to re-imagine games if they wish too do so, like with the Final Fantasy 7 remake. Instead of playing older games, I'd rather developers re-envision them up to the modern era using the tools available to them. Would draw a wider audience and be a lot of fun. 

Plus I don't really see the point of bringing older games along unless they have trophy lists. . . Whereas with remastered versions not only do you get prettier graphics, maybe more content, but you'll also get trophy lists too. ?

8 minutes ago, Starcade_Legend said:

Again, HOW they will execute this endeavor is up for speculation.  But to gloss over it as being completely impossible or nonsensical  as you and others have alluded to is a bit naive

Pointing out the reality of the facts presenting a barrier to the rumor doesn’t make me or others naive. Once anyone logically starts examining the aspects (hardware, current state of PS3 emulation) involved with what this rumor is proposing, we start to make a conclusion that backward compatibility with PS3 specifically has some serious hurdles to be implemented in a system that is due to launch this year. We, presenting these facts, are not the ones glossing over things. 

Im not even against backward compatibility, I think it’s great and would probably use it if it were to become a reality. 

19 minutes ago, Starcade_Legend said:

i don’t claim to know the technical aspects of what making backwards compatibility for legacy systems would entail, but coming from a business rationale: 25th Anniversary of PlayStation, your biggest opponents tried backwards compatibility but officially discontinued with a lackluster effort (41 Original Xbox titles available out of 1011 and 575 Xbox 360 titles out of 2102), your PS Now service would be leaps and bounds more valuable with touting the moniker of having titles from all PlayStation home consoles ever, leaks about ‘remastered’ backwards compatibility running rampant...this just makes sense.

Again, HOW they will execute this endeavor is up for speculation.  But to gloss over it as being completely impossible or nonsensical  as you and others have alluded to is a bit naive...?

Once again, I have HOPE (I don’t have FAITH) that SONY would bring legacy titles with all the bells and whistles to their new platform.  I don’t have a hard stance one way or another.  It’s backwards compatibility, for Pete’s sake; regardless, it’s not gonna be the main reason SONY gets my money in December...?

They officially discontinued it to focus on making the xbox series x fully backwards compatible with all generations of xbox

9 hours ago, MandA60VISE said:

I'd only care if I can either pop in any PS1-4 disc and play or they added trophies to the older games.

If the PS5 somehow added trophy support to the older PS1/2 games, I'd get it day one just for that alone. ? I'd be amazed if it ever happens though. ?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Masamune said:

If the PS5 somehow added trophy support to the older PS1/2 games, I'd get it day one just for that alone. 1f602.png I'd be amazed if it ever happens though. 1f605.png

The hard part would be getting publishers on board, not to mention games where the developers are defunct now 

18 minutes ago, dzstrpc said:

I can see myself play PS3 games 10 years from now. There's a huge library of games in danger of being rendered unplayable because of shortage of hardware.

Yes there are plenty of second-hand PS3s available at the moment, but they will get rarer and rarer...

I don't trust my PS3s anymore, every time I shut it down I wonder if it'll boot the next time I start it.

This christmas I bought and installed a game on a Superslim. On new years when I was going to start playing it the console was broken. GLOD

I always keep two PS3s so when one breaks I start using the other, and order a new one. Hate to get stuck halfway through a game.

BC on future current-gen consoles should be mandatory!

I’ve got 3 PS3’s, and all 3 of them are on their last leg.  Bring on the (possible) Backwards Compatibility!  ?

On a side note: whether backwards compatibility is a thing or not...can we get some trophies for The Club, please?!  ?

2 hours ago, G4Knight said:

Do these games receive updates of any kind? Can publishers drop trophy lists for their games? Visual clarity, bug fix patching? If I insert a copy of Rule of Rose, will my friends see that I’m playing said game? I wonder how deep this will go.

All really good questions, G4Knight. I have a few, as well: would SharePlay work as a second controller with the legacy titles?  Will it have full backwards compatibility with legacy discs or PS Now specific licensed-game support (as what Xbox One’s backwards compatibility consists of) or both?  How deep down this ‘remastering software’ tool bag are we diving into for the legacy titles (PS1 Classic’s optional effects were a complete letdown compared to the graphical effect plugins that some of these emulators have out, such as beetlePSX HW and PCSX2?  All answers will be revealed by December, but a lot of our questions might be answered in...February?  We shall see...?

Edited by Starcade_Legend
Grammar.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, WatertownsFinest said:

All these people saying they'd only play a ps1 game if it added trophies sure have their priorities straight. Yeeesh 

It's almost as if some people aren't truly concerned about game preservation, but having a token for their " precious childhood game". I do wonder which side they fall when it comes to save states and possibly even an emulator cheat engine disabling/enabling trophies?

2 minutes ago, Zenpai said:

People saying that Backwards Compatibility is a pipe dream because most gamers just care about the most recent titles are forgetting one simple truth:

Even if most people will end up just playing the most modern games, the fact that they know they can play older games if they want to gives the console a lot of value. Again, they might not even use the feature all that much (me and a shit ton of my friends certainly will), but in their heads, they're buying 5 of the greatest consoles of all time for the price of one, which will make them want to drop some cash on the console much closer to launch, when the price is higher.

So no, I don't think it's stupid at all for Sony to devote resources to making sure Backwards Compatibility is a reality. PS4 is pretty much guaranteed at this point, but if they actually managed to get PS1-3 to work as well, it would be one of the smartest things they ever did. Not only would it give a lot of value to the PS5, it would ensure that, if they keep the simplified architecture they've used in the PS4 going forward, they would already have working emulators for all of their previous consoles in all of their newer ones, guaranteeing that they never have to spend resources doing it ever again.

it's only smart if it is there, creates enough sales to justify the cost/time, and works as perfectly as you people seem to think it will.

If it is there and doesn't support discs or makes us buy specific digital downloads then they will get reamed and the supposed "value" for just being there will be nonexistent. 

The current architecture isn't simplified. It is merely what most developers and game engines are used to, x86. Which only speaks to making PS4 games more compatible and doesn't make it easier to emulate the Cell engine without an extra hardware component. 

Seems more like some are setting themselves up for disappointment.

if they do this I will put my money down for a ps5 but if not am not going to as I would like to be able to stream all ps2 and 3 games I have along with some ps1 games too would give me better chances to enjoy past and new games too.

not only that if they wanted to they could even sell discs of ps2 and ps3 games again the devs that is, so remastering/ porting games they can just remake older discs for less and make more money. I mean think about the older re games that never came to ps3 and so on, such as re dead aim, or any of the outbreak games, it can give new life to them plus give more money to Capcom and other devs that remake them discs and so on.

14 hours ago, Sagaan said:

Only ps 4 games will work, wats the purpose of ps now then? Full backwards comp will never happen by sony, cuz the greed is real.

I agree this is one of the reasons why I think it won't happen the ps5 having the backwards comp I mean why make a backwards comp when you make a barely working ps now system you pay for and have to deal with crappy cut outs due to the internet being piss poor because psn systems suck

Edited by KANERKB
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, KANERKB said:

I agree this is one of the reasons why I think it won't happen the ps5 having the backwards comp I mean why make a backwards comp when you make a barely working ps now system you pay for and have to deal with crappy cut outs due to the internet being piss poor because psn systems suck

We can only pray. Im totaly fine if all ps 4 games work, ps 3 would be cool as well. Cuz i missed some games for it. I would even pay if they offer the emulators for ps 1 to 3 for some bugs.

On ‎06‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 4:25 PM, Sagaan said:

We can only pray. Im totaly fine if all ps 4 games work, ps 3 would be cool as well. Cuz i missed some games for it. I would even pay if they offer the emulators for ps 1 to 3 for some bugs.

if anything if they did what xbox did and let you be able to play games by popping the disc in, it is a win win. I mean everyone could stop this bs remaster crap and just do remakes from the ground up with better pay outs. I mean I hardly think games like the suffering, time crisis 2 and 3 would be ported or any of the other sega games that are not sonic related due to them wanting only sonic or yakuza

Edited by KANERKB
  • Like 3